Gt popping set up

ckjh
edited December 2014 in Jigging & Popping
I started this thread after some anglers questioned about what is the best method to tie the leader for Gt popping.
How do you tie your shockleader? What's the length,
twisted leader? Hollow braid or solid?

I personally do PR knot to a shock leader which will be twice the poundage. The length will usually be one to two rounds around the spool and out to the lure.

Some may ask about the tendency of wind knots with my method.
Yes, but I would say probably lesser than 3 times on a full day of casting.

Feel free to share your tying methods with fellow anglers. We will all benefit from this.

I am currently working on tying a twisted leader set up with spliced hollow braid. Will share if it's successful.

Cheers!
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Thanks Cliff,

My knot; I only use a bobbin knot with 30 loops, 8 hitches on leader, 8 hitches on the mainline and 4 closing loops on what I think is a uni knot.

My leader length; x2 fully stretched arms length + x1 arms length - 2 rounds around the spool.
  • ckjh
    Luke Maow Bear" said:
    Thanks Cliff,

My knot; I only use a bobbin knot with 30 loops, 8 hitches on leader, 8 hitches on the mainline and 4 closing loops on what I think is a uni knot.

My leader length; x2 fully stretched arms length + x1 arms length - 2 rounds around the spool.
    That is a pretty small profile knot. I always limit mine to at most one inch. It's been tested that a 1-2 inch Pr/Fg knot shares the same power with a 4-5 inch Pr/Fg knot.

Nice. I believe even with a long leader, the difference in the distance is quite little. I've tried casting with short leaders and the result is very bad. Probably they lack the extra stretch from the leader when loaded. Which somehow I cant get the timing of the release right.