Stella drag at full spool

benscorpio99
edited February 2015 in Jigging & Popping
May I know anyone tested the stella Max drag at full spool?
Please share?
I only know 2008 stella 8k is at 24lbs.
  • ckjh
    benscorpio99" said:
    May I know anyone tested the stella Max drag at full spool?
    Please share?
    Max drag? For which reel size. Anyway there may be a difference in drag for different reels of the same size.
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="benscorpio99"]May I know anyone tested the stella Max drag at full spool?
    Please share?
    Max drag? For which reel size. Anyway there may be a difference in drag for different reels of the same size.[/quote]

For any reel or spool size that you have measured?
    Just interested to know what kind of numbers come up as I have not seen many discussion on this.
    Most of the time ppl are just interested in the paper spec which I think is quite useless in practical fishing. It only tells you that this particular reel have high drag than that reel most of the time.
  • ckjh
    benscorpio99" said:
    [quote="ckjh"][quote="benscorpio99"]May I know anyone tested the stella Max drag at full spool?
    Please share?
    Max drag? For which reel size. Anyway there may be a difference in drag for different reels of the same size.[/quote]

Just interested to know what kind of numbers come up as I have not seen many discussion on this.
    Most of the time ppl are just interested in the paper spec which I think is quite useless in practical fishing. It only tells you that this particular reel have high drag than that reel most of the time.[/quote]

Hmmm. I used 10k stella with probably 11kg of drag on pe8 line for fishing. That is about 80-85% to max. Its slighlty higher for the Som 16k spool.
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="benscorpio99"][quote="ckjh"]

Max drag? For which reel size. Anyway there may be a difference in drag for different reels of the same size.
    Most of the time ppl are just interested in the paper spec which I think is quite useless in practical fishing. It only tells you that this particular reel have high drag than that reel most of the time.[/quote]

Hmmm. I used 10k stella with probably 11kg of drag on pe8 line for fishing. That is about 80-85% to max. Its slighlty higher for the Som 16k spool.[/quote]

Ok so meaning 10k stella have a max drag of 28lbs according to 11kg is at 85% of drag.
    Would be great to know 16K SOM / JM spool if anyone has ever measured.
    Though I see JM spool did state their practical Max drag is at an impressive18kg.
    Did anyone have measurements for 18k stella?
  • Bwky
    jm spool if u lock all the way, i think easily got 20+ kg of drag. but its impractical to run that kind of drag cos its not smooth anymore. you should go as high as you can with the drag before it becomes sticky and use palming if you really need more brakes.
  • benscorpio99
    Bwky" said:
    jm spool if u lock all the way, i think easily got 20+ kg of drag. but its impractical to run that kind of drag cos its not smooth anymore. you should go as high as you can with the drag before it becomes sticky and use palming if you really need more brakes.
    Yes I understand where you are coming from.
    I tried stella 18k and have not even reach full drag the line starts to dig in and it no longer lets out line.
  • ckjh
    benscorpio99" said:
    [quote="ckjh"]
    Ok so meaning 10k stella have a max drag of 28lbs according to 11kg is at 85% of drag.
    Though I see JM spool did state their practical Max drag is at an impressive18kg.
    [/quote]

Pardon me, but the stated practical drag on a jm 16k is crap. First, its pretty much not practical for an angler to hold a running GT with that amount of drag. How is it practical when the drag would have caused your terminals to fail or lines to snap.

18k would be near 16-18kg. I have 2 of those and both are different.
  • ckjh
    benscorpio99" said:
    [quote="Bwky"]jm spool if u lock all the way, i think easily got 20+ kg of drag. but its impractical to run that kind of drag cos its not smooth anymore. you should go as high as you can with the drag before it becomes sticky and use palming if you really need more brakes.
    I tried stella 18k and have not even reach full drag the line starts to dig in and it no longer lets out line.[/quote]

Line digs in? Spooled via machine?
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="benscorpio99"][quote="ckjh"]
    [/quote]

Pardon me, but the stated practical drag on a jm 16k is crap. First, its pretty much not practical for an angler to hold a running GT with that amount of drag. How is it practical when the drag would have caused your terminals to fail or lines to snap.

18k would be near 16-18kg. I have 2 of those and both are different.[/quote]

I am guessing the word practical means real life drag pressure attained on the JM spool while your practical drag means during the tug of war with the fish which I agree at 18kg of drag is crazy strenuous on the angler.

Can I ask what scale are you using to measure the drag?
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="benscorpio99"][quote="Bwky"]jm spool if u lock all the way, i think easily got 20+ kg of drag. but its impractical to run that kind of drag cos its not smooth anymore. you should go as high as you can with the drag before it becomes sticky and use palming if you really need more brakes.
    I tried stella 18k and have not even reach full drag the line starts to dig in and it no longer lets out line.[/quote]

Line digs in? Spooled via machine?[/quote]

I used the line recycler gadget and tightened the screw to put pressure on the line intake to the spool.
    Do you experience this on full drag of the 18k?
  • ckjh
    benscorpio99" said:
    [quote="benscorpio99"][quote="Bwky"]jm spool if u lock all the way, i think easily got 20+ kg of drag. but its impractical to run that kind of drag cos its not smooth anymore. you should go as high as you can with the drag before it becomes sticky and use palming if you really need more brakes.

I used the line recycler gadget and tightened the screw to put pressure on the line intake to the spool.
    Do you experience this on full drag of the 18k?[/quote]

I do not do full drag. Anyway wet the lines and reel in with the gadget. Set it very tight. Haha
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:

I do not do full drag. Anyway wet the lines and reel in with the gadget. Set it very tight. Haha
    Ok! I will try that! Thanks for the tip! :D
  • Lecundra
    benscorpio99" said:
    [quote="ckjh"][quote="benscorpio99"]Yes I understand where you are coming from.
    I tried stella 18k and have not even reach full drag the line starts to dig in and it no longer lets out line.
    Line digs in? Spooled via machine?[/quote]

Do you experience this on full drag of the 18k?[/quote]

Is this the daiichi-seiko line recycler? That one cannot make it for really tight spooling.

For big game fishing, I always get Eric from Kaiser to help me spool. Hands down the most tightly-packed spool possible.

Kaiser provides the service for free, but I would encourage buying some stuff since the spooling there is really solid.
  • ckjh
    Lecundra" said:

Is this the daiichi-seiko line recycler? That one cannot make it for really tight spooling.

For big game fishing, I always get Eric from Kaiser to help me spool. Hands down the most tightly-packed spool possible.

Kaiser provides the service for free, but I would encourage buying some stuff since the spooling there is really solid.
    Im not really sure. But it works for me. As well as the Bee's Knees Reel Spooler (highly recommended).
    The only reason i avoid spooling lines using machines, it's because they lack the criss-cross alignment from the reel's rotor. Which helps in preventing lines from biting into each other. Often it's fatal if you have a high drag setting and having lines digging into the spool of lines.
    Thus, i will always wet the line to make sure they are loaded at the thinnest diameter.

It is a really good service that Kaiser provides. There are a few tackle shops who are willing to help you spool lines for free. I've heard from friends that some do charge for the spooling services.