Need advise : jig weight for night (maldives)

semaj
edited December 2014 in Jigging & Popping
Would be very gratelful if anyone could advise the most common used jigs weight for night fishing in maldives. Also the most use jigs weight during day. I knew it has been mentioned before somewhere here. But I am unclear as different people has different oppinions. Thanks million. :roll:
  • Luke Maow Bear
    semaj" said:
    Would be very gratelful if anyone could advise the most common used jigs weight for night fishing in maldives. Also the most use jigs weight during day. I knew it has been mentioned before somewhere here. But I am unclear as different people has different oppinions. Thanks million. :roll:
    For me:

Day 150 to 185
    Night 250 to 300

Match to the current

I went on a massive current season, so we never were really able to drop Jigs.

If you are on a Live on board you can get away with even lighter jigs as 1.) the drift is slower 2.) they sometimes anchor.
  • semaj
    Thanks Luke, appreciate your reply. Which type is most preferred? Long shaped or round n short like those of slow jigging?

Regards
  • infinityex
    Semaj if you're going on a liveaboard, do check where they go at night as Luke said...

On my recent trip they would anchor at night at a relatively calm area for safety. Depth about 20-30m.

We used jigs about 80g. Bring luminous jigs. Can be butterfly-type like surecatch power jig, asari cast fighter, slow fall or even madai. If you're in the barracuda infested zone you can get small barracudas almost immediately when you hit bottom. Otherwise you can get big-eye jacks and yellow-lined snappers also.

The luminous slow-fall jigs are not bad there...
  • semaj
    Thanks for the advice infinityex.
  • semaj
    At night at the shallow water, if you were to cast what would you use? ( weight size, lure , jigs,etc?).
  • infinityex
    Do you mean something like beach casting at night? We stayed on the boat at night so I don't have much experience with that sorry. I don't think there was much surface action at night also. You can cast out the lumo 40 - 80g jigs and retrieve I guess.
  • msyong
    It depend on the location the boat park at night and the current. If they park at a channel, you will need a heavier jig.

In my recent trip to Maldives, I used 60g to 100g lumo jigs to target Bonito, big eye jack, etc. The traditional jig, slow fall and madai jigs work as long as they are lumo.

Hope it help to answer your query.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    semaj" said:
    Thanks for the advice infinityex.
    I can't really add to @infinityex's reply; I can however say I forgot to add that smaller Jigs can go as well when anchored in shallow water. I called a few friends and they said they went Micro (10 Grams) on some occasions.

I use Fisherman Andamans and Williamson Abyss. I now use ATC Jigs. (I am on mobile now, let me get the name later)

Asari chrome jigs and cheap.

I bring a total of big jigs ranging from 150 to 300.

250 and 300 is like x3 and x2 respectively.

150 and 180 make up the rest.

80 is a must as everyone I know who has gone on a LOB used these.

x1 Popping Rod us ok, and x3 Jigging, Micro, Mid and Heavy.

I go up with x3 Popping Rods and x1 Jigging Rod. 150 to 300. Temple Reef R something.
  • semaj
    Thanks so much. You guys are really helpful. Will be living on board. LumI jigs r must for night. I guess 40-100g is well covvered. What about during day jigging. I heard some say silver n blue jigs r the best. And they have to be jig fast. But some say slow jigging....works better. My apology first, I m not questioning the advice. So which is much more appropriate. Thanks in advance.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    semaj" said:
    Thanks so much. You guys are really helpful. Will be living on board. LumI jigs r must for night. I guess 40-100g is well covvered. What about during day jigging. I heard some say silver n blue jigs r the best. And they have to be jig fast. But some say slow jigging....works better. My apology first, I m not questioning the advice. So which is much more appropriate. Thanks in advance.
    No problem, the thing with advice is it is almost always by what the angler did. So best get everyone's input and go up with the advice and make your own decision.

BTW I use 60lb for the 80 Gram Leader and up to 100lb for the bigger jigs. I strangely like Nylon/Mono, but again that's me. 100lb Fluro is so stiff. I only use a bobbin knot with 30 loops, 8 hitches on leader, 8 hitches on the mainline and 4 closing loops on what I think is a uni knot.

Hope that helps.
  • infinityex
    semaj" said:
    I think both methods should be ok if you do them correctly, but if you are specially drift jigging in deep waters 80 to 100+ m then you need the heavier fast jigs like Luke mentioned to hit bottom fast.

To be honest if you go diving you will know that at 30m depth you lose all colours except shades of blue and some green. So the jigs I guess as long as its reflective or has good contrast the colour you can pick what you like.
  • semaj
    So in total, how many jigs should one bring to Maldives for a week fishing? All sizes ( LOB). I know it is an individual preferences, but what is the common average?
    Thanks in advance.
  • infinityex
    If you are going to be doing a mix of fishing maybe I can suggest

60 - 100g day time use x 6 - 8
    Lumo 60-80g x 4 - 6
    Heavy jigs 150 - 200g x 4 - 6

I think I over-brought, if you are careful I don't think you will lose many jigs. A few of the heavy jig assist hooks got bitten off though maybe to dogtooth, bring spares.

If you are going to be jigging a lot then bring more of course... have fun!
  • msyong
    It will depend on how much time your group spend on jigging, popping, trolling, bottom fishing, etc. The location and current are the other factors. Suggest that you check with the Capt or organiser.

For myself, I use
    Day time - 150g to 200g jig & 120g Madai
    Night time - 60g to 100g lumo jig
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Jigs

x3 250 Gram Jigs
    x2 300 Gram Jigs
    x8 185 Gram Jigs
    x8 150 Gram Jigs

Poppers

x9 100 to 120 Grams
    x9 150 to 160 Grams
    x3 180 to 200 Grams

Logistics

Check In
    .Hooks
    .Jigs
    .Poppers

Hand Carry
    .Reels

Disclaimer: They allow lines on the reel to the Maldives, but to Oman and some cases Indonesia they make noise and ask you to remove it.
  • ckjh
    For me its rather simple.

Day
    200-350 long jigs
    200-350 flutter (slow fall)
    I had fish taking different type of jigs during different day at the same spot. I would say dont be lazy to drop a jig to test. Most importantly be hardworking and test different jigs profile. Once you get a hit. That is the jig for the spot. It may not apply to other spots.

Night
    80-150 lumo
    If you do not request for deeper waters. Usually you will be anchored at about 30m. Rather near to land, so dont worry of strong currents. You cant go wrong with lumo jigs at night.
  • Kaleido
    Luke Maow Bear" said:
    Jigs

x3 250 Gram Jigs
    x2 300 Gram Jigs
    x8 185 Gram Jigs
    x8 150 Gram Jigs

Poppers

x9 100 to 120 Grams
    x9 150 to 160 Grams
    x3 180 to 200 Grams

Logistics

Check In
    .Hooks
    .Jigs
    .Poppers

Hand Carry
    .Reels

Disclaimer: They allow lines on the reel to the Maldives, but to Oman and some cases Indonesia they make noise and ask you to remove it.
    Boss !! Sounds like a popping war !! :twisted: 9+9+3 = 21pcs !!! :mrgreen:
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Kaleido" said:
    [quote="Luke Maow Bear"]Jigs

x3 250 Gram Jigs
    x2 300 Gram Jigs
    x8 185 Gram Jigs
    x8 150 Gram Jigs

Poppers

x9 100 to 120 Grams
    x9 150 to 160 Grams
    x3 180 to 200 Grams

Logistics

Check In
    .Hooks
    .Jigs
    .Poppers

Hand Carry
    .Reels

Boss !! Sounds like a popping war !! :twisted: 9+9+3 = 21pcs !!! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Hello boss, I thought we both always bring 20 pieces! :o :roll: