Patriot Design Popping rods

benscorpio99
edited December 2014 in Jigging & Popping
Hi guys,

It seems like there aren't many user for this brand of rod.
Anyone in this forum still have it?
Any feedback on the performance for them?

Please share if any. Thanks!
  • Luke Maow Bear
    benscorpio99" said:
    Hi guys,

It seems like there aren't many user for this brand of rod.
    Anyone in this forum still have it?
    Any feedback on the performance for them?

Please share if any. Thanks!
    The feedback on them (not that I have personally used them) is that they are extremely stiff and hurt the angler.

They are apparently designed by Matsutani himself and if you see how he loves giant cups (don't we all heh heh) these rod are designed to pop them. He has a different popping style which enable him to use these rods.

For the price tag, I would stay with Carpenters or Ripples - they are also more tradable here if that is your thing.

Carpenter generally has a higher resell value than a Ripple.

For performance, casting due to stiffness will leave the angler with shorter casting times.

Hope this helps.
  • benscorpio99
    Thank you for the feedback!

Looking for a chugger rod.
    Any recommendations for one which chugs 150g and above?
    120g seems like almost any rod is able to chug it but not really for those above 150g.
    Super popping series seems to be popping up every now and then but have to be patient.
  • Lecundra
    Other than a SP80M, the Monster Hunter 80MH is probably the most suitable for most 150g poppers. Those are not too rare (for carpenter rods).
  • ckjh
    Lecundra" said:
    Other than a SP80M, the Monster Hunter 80MH is probably the most suitable for most 150g poppers. Those are not too rare (for carpenter rods).
    Good recommendation. A monster hunter is the best for 150g, the most versatile rod for poppers and stickbaits.

For SP80M I will say the sweet spot is probably 130g.
    150g a little too heavy for it. Anyway the heavier Superpoppings are known to be very backbreaking. Unless you are a big guy, if not it is not recommended.
  • benscorpio99
    Did you guys use the MH80H to chug 150g before?
    Do you do side sweeps or lifts?
  • Andrewmj
    benscorpio99" said:
    Thank you for the feedback!

Looking for a chugger rod.
    Any recommendations for one which chugs 150g and above?
    120g seems like almost any rod is able to chug it but not really for those above 150g.
    Super popping series seems to be popping up every now and then but have to be patient.
    Can consider a Hammerhead Faube 78ML for a chugging rod for any chuggers below 150g .. At least they are easier to get compared to Carpenter SP series LOL ! :D
  • Andrewmj
    benscorpio99" said:
    Tried both ways to chug a 150g craftbait GT3 on MH80H & MH79XH , i only will say the rod is not meant for chuggers anything more than 150g ;) I would prefer a faster tip action for a chugging rod like Carpenter SP Series , Ripple Ultimo 80M or Hammerhead Faube for chuggers .
  • benscorpio99
    Andrewmj" said:
    [quote="benscorpio99"]Did you guys use the MH80H to chug 150g before?
    Tried both ways to chug a 150g craftbait GT3 on MH80H & MH79XH , i only will say the rod is not meant for chuggers anything more than 150g ;) I would prefer a faster tip action for a chugging rod like Carpenter SP Series , Ripple Ultimo 80M or Hammerhead Faube for chuggers .[/quote]

As for me, I do not like to chug more than 130g for the MH.
    A stiffer tip will be more efficient for chugging.
  • Lecundra
    benscorpio99" said:
    I do side sweeps. I guess it depends on preference, although I must admit that the MH is more of a heavy stickbait rod. I also use the DJ83MH for 150g poppers, which leaves the rod extremely saturated.
  • benscorpio99
    Still hoping to get more responses from people who have used the PD rods before.
    They seem to be very good for chugging from what I see.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Actually. What is a Chugger to you guys? Things that go pop or big poppers that go Chug?

A Chugger to me is a big Popper. Am I getting it right?

Cliff this is like a stick and swimbait conversation we were having. haha
  • benscorpio99
    Luke Maow Bear" said:
    Actually. What is a Chugger to you guys? Things that go pop or big poppers that go Chug?

Yes chugger are rods for poppers as far as to my understanding.
  • ckjh
    Luke Maow Bear" said:

Normal bro!
    chugging, to me is to chug the popper. Its similar meaning to pop a popper.
    Thats my take
  • Luke Maow Bear
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="Luke Maow Bear"]Actually. What is a Chugger to you guys? Things that go pop or big poppers that go Chug?

Normal bro!
    Thats my take[/quote]

Ok in that case I have been getting it wrong, when you guys say chugger I always thought some massive type cup thing.

:geek:
  • ckjh
    Luke Maow Bear" said:
    [quote="ckjh"][quote="Luke Maow Bear"]Actually. What is a Chugger to you guys? Things that go pop or big poppers that go Chug?

Normal bro!
    Thats my take[/quote]

Ok in that case I have been getting it wrong, when you guys say chugger I always thought some massive type cup thing.

:geek:[/quote]

It's always something big huh =D
  • benscorpio99
    Luke Maow Bear" said:
    [quote="ckjh"][quote="Luke Maow Bear"]Actually. What is a Chugger to you guys? Things that go pop or big poppers that go Chug?

Normal bro!
    Thats my take[/quote]

:geek:[/quote]

Well at least we are on the same page now. :lol:
  • Andrewmj
    benscorpio99" said:
    Still hoping to get more responses from people who have used the PD rods before.
    Erm... i think i wont wanna cast with that rod all day and hit a 30kg over fish with PD rods ... :lol: They are good chugger rods but i personally feels that it only suits the usage for Matsutani style :lol:
  • benscorpio99
    Andrewmj" said:
    [quote="benscorpio99"]Still hoping to get more responses from people who have used the PD rods before.
    Erm... i think i wont wanna cast with that rod all day and hit a 30kg over fish with PD rods ... :lol: They are good chugger rods but i personally feels that it only suits the usage for Matsutani style :lol:[/quote]

Its really a trade off, either you chug with softer rods and tired yourself out or you use a stiffer rod and fight the fish to tired yourself out. The casting is hard only if you try to attain max distance every cast I suppose.
  • Boardbill
    To me popper of chugger it still push water or pop or dive with bubble. different lures are design with different action. One lure can perform a few actions depending on how it's work.
    A popper or chugger can
    - splash water on the water surface creating a splash sound. This is more of a splash that create the sound.
    - another has lesser splash on the surface rather a big bubble and the popper dive under the water surface. This create a high bass sound. A lower pitch sound.

To create either ways to work the lure you do require a stiffer rod compare to swim bait rod.

But if you are working a popper or chugger. This are lures that are able to call fish at the deep zone 40m to 60m.
    If you are fishing this depth a stronger rod will help u land the fish easier due the better lift.
    You can use a softer rod to work the popper or chugger but if you need to sweep the rod further in order to work the lure and the limitation of spaces on board is an issue. While a stiffer rod can work the lure with a short sweep.
    Softer rod sweep more ended up knocking on board or knock against other rod. These are just example.

but firstly if you are using this lure the fishing depth must be deep. The fish will only fight downwards a stiffer rod also makes sense.

There no simple way to fish a GT in its nature environment. It's lots of hard work and lots of luck. No simple way to it.
  • yapwt
    Patriot rod Popping rods,

In general, it is much heavier than all other of equivalent rating.

Uses couple of patriot, diamond 77, black diamond, black mafia, 8 ft extreme

It is tiring for long days casting, however, i like the feel of this during the fight especially
    anything above 15kg. Good lifting power.

Overall, whether it suit you or not depend on your own preference.
    Over time, you favourite rod may be become non-favourite. So never say this
    is the best rod now, and how i this old model fit me so well now?

In another word, keep buying and changing rod. No rod is the best.
  • ckjh
    yapwt" said:

It is tiring for long days casting, however, i like the feel of this during the fight especially

I got to agree with the last statement. Lol!! I have like almost 8 pieces of Carpenters now.
    But I have to say, the favourite rod will always be my Coral viper 79/40.
    So much effort and money to get that dream rod.
  • benscorpio99
    edited November 2014
    Boardbill" said:
    To me popper of chugger it still push water or pop or dive with bubble. different lures are design with different action. One lure can perform a few actions depending on how it's work.
    A popper or chugger can
    - splash water on the water surface creating a splash sound. This is more of a splash that create the sound.
    - another has lesser splash on the surface rather a big bubble and the popper dive under the water surface. This create a high bass sound. A lower pitch sound.

To create either ways to work the lure you do require a stiffer rod compare to swim bait rod.

But if you are working a popper or chugger. This are lures that are able to call fish at the deep zone 40m to 60m.
    If you are fishing this depth a stronger rod will help u land the fish easier due the better lift.
    You can use a softer rod to work the popper or chugger but if you need to sweep the rod further in order to work the lure and the limitation of spaces on board is an issue. While a stiffer rod can work the lure with a short sweep.
    Softer rod sweep more ended up knocking on board or knock against other rod. These are just example.

but firstly if you are using this lure the fishing depth must be deep. The fish will only fight downwards a stiffer rod also makes sense.

There no simple way to fish a GT in its nature environment. It's lots of hard work and lots of luck. No simple way to it.
    Yes I totally agree on the stiffer and softer rod pro and con.
    And just to add on, a softer rod is more tiring to chug as you are fighting the rod flex till it lock up to pull the popper.
    =D>
  • benscorpio99
    yapwt" said:

Hi yapwt,

Would you still have any of these rods for sale?
    I maybe interested. :lol:
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="yapwt"]Patriot rod Popping rods,

I got to agree with the last statement. Lol!! I have like almost 8 pieces of Carpenters now.
    So much effort and money to get that dream rod.[/quote]

May I ask why do you like the coral viper so much?
    Its action is very similar to monster hunter.
  • ckjh
    benscorpio99" said:
    [quote="ckjh"][quote="yapwt"]Patriot rod Popping rods,

So much effort and money to get that dream rod.[/quote]

Its action is very similar to monster hunter.[/quote]

Similar? Totally not bro. It's the most versatile rod that can be used almost everywhere. Be it rompin -oman. Where as the monster hunter is a pe8-10 rod. Feel is totally different
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="benscorpio99"][quote="ckjh"]

So much effort and money to get that dream rod.
    Its action is very similar to monster hunter.[/quote]

Similar? Totally not bro. It's the most versatile rod that can be used almost everywhere. Be it rompin -oman. Where as the monster hunter is a pe8-10 rod. Feel is totally different[/quote]

The rod action meaning how the rod bends bro.
    For sure pe 6-8 and 8-10 has difference in rod strength.
    I compared it with my mh80h and my friend's cv79/40.
    More of a multipurpose rod IMO.
  • Andrewmj
    yapwt" said:

The true popping old bird has spoken !! :D
  • cwtan12
    Boardbill" said:
    A popper or chugger can

Fully agree with you. You seemed to fish more than the rest.

Rod tips are not designed for chugging. Use the backbone of the rod to chug. The tip is for you to guide the poppers down and during casting. MH80H handles SSG2Top & Hammerhead E cup very well and can even chug GT3 170g nicely. It is also not too stiff for gamma 160g, 200g and 250g.

As which rod is the best, there is no best rod for all. It depends on what poppers or stickbait you intend to use and what kind of popping ground you go. If you have a very wide range of poppers or stickbaits to use, having 20pcs of Carpenter rods is still not too many.
  • Blackmarlin
    cwtan12" said:
    [quote="Boardbill"]To me popper of chugger it still push water or pop or dive with bubble. different lures are design with different action. One lure can perform a few actions depending on how it's work.
    A popper or chugger can

Rod tips are not designed for chugging. Use the backbone of the rod to chug. The tip is for you to guide the poppers down and during casting. MH80H handles SSG2Top & Hammerhead E cup very well and can even chug GT3 170g nicely. It is also not too stiff for gamma 160g, 200g and 250g.

As which rod is the best, there is no best rod for all. It depends on what poppers or stickbait you intend to use and what kind of popping ground you go. If you have a very wide range of poppers or stickbaits to use, having 20pcs of Carpenter rods is still not too many.[/quote]

CW, well said, but I think not many of us can really afford that many carpenters.
  • prodrivep1
    Blackmarlin" said:
    [quote="cwtan12"][quote="Boardbill"]To me popper of chugger it still push water or pop or dive with bubble. different lures are design with different action. One lure can perform a few actions depending on how it's work.
    A popper or chugger can

As which rod is the best, there is no best rod for all. It depends on what poppers or stickbait you intend to use and what kind of popping ground you go. If you have a very wide range of poppers or stickbaits to use, having 20pcs of Carpenter rods is still not too many.[/quote]

CW, well said, but I think not many of us can really afford that many carpenters.[/quote]

well said both old birds!