Toman

Jordan488
edited October 2006 in General Fishing
what live bait do toman like to feed on?

my friend use frog to catch alot of toman but i am not so comfortable with using live frog T_T
  • Rikimaru_
    I heard from my shifu that u can try live guppies! :shock: So cruel!
  • chuakboon
    catfish no horse run.
  • oliver
    Best is chicken innards, livers of pig or cow......soak them into the "ang hui bee" and cast far to gain effective result. I hve tried SCC b4 and especially the dry season, u can even see those "bubbles" fr them..very excitin.. :D
  • gremlin
    Rikimaru_" said:
    I heard from my shifu that u can try live guppies! :shock: So cruel!
    rikimaru ... do you cycle?
  • Ray
    Using Baby Catfish is the best.

Please note that they are not the kind of catfish you can buy from market.

P.S: Too big the Snake Head might get scared. :shock:

These kind of Catfish only available at Tackle Shop or Aquarium Shop.

Their size are mainly from 10-15 cm only.

P.S: You can hook big and even smaller Snake Head. (Flexible bait) 8)

Timing is also very important if you want to hook Papa Snake Head.

Also the method to fish, location, weather, water quality, mood, bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... :wink:
  • sebastian
    Use live frog....100% sure get the Toman.

Hook at the mouth....so that in the water, the legs are still kicking.
    Maybe can try buying from those aquarium shop.

I never try before because I think it's cruel.

Seen people do that and everytime sure can get Toman.
  • baitfish1
    bro ray, you r wrong. Even i hook a catfish which is around 12inch which i bought from the market (only last catfish left), some monster took my bait and run. My rod fly into the water. Two kaki there help me to hook up the rod, we manage to get back the rod, but i could not fight the fish with the rod and reel(shimano 4000). The two kaki start to help me fight the fish by using hand but still ould not bring back the fish(hand very pain due to me using fire line). People start to gather and watch, but the two kaki give up, leaving me along to fight. I have no choice but to bust the line, one construction worker told me there is a big monster fish inside. :shock:
  • stingrray
    baitfish1" said:
    ...but i could not fight the fish with the rod and reel(shimano 4000). The two kaki start to help me fight the fish by using hand but still ould not bring back the fish(hand very pain due to me using fire line). People start to gather and watch, but the two kaki give up, leaving me along to fight. I have no choice but to bust the line, one construction worker told me there is a big monster fish inside. :shock:
    U going back there again? Can we go together? I have heavy duty tackle to land mama monster...

cheers,
    stingrray 8)
  • Rikimaru_
    baitfish1" said:
    bro ray, you r wrong. Even i hook a catfish which is around 12inch which i bought from the market (only last catfish left), some monster took my bait and run. My rod fly into the water. Two kaki there help me to hook up the rod, we manage to get back the rod, but i could not fight the fish with the rod and reel(shimano 4000). The two kaki start to help me fight the fish by using hand but still ould not bring back the fish(hand very pain due to me using fire line). People start to gather and watch, but the two kaki give up, leaving me along to fight. I have no choice but to bust the line, one construction worker told me there is a big monster fish inside. :shock:
    Exactly. I once hooked a 50cm catfish cuz go shengshiong get the live catfish..my reward is a sizable toman which swallowed the catfish and was gut hooked...i have also caught tomans of 800g with 20cm catfish

For frogs, they will meet with little success locally because singaporea is not malaysia. Im not saying they do not work though

For chicken innards, the effectiveness will also go down with time. remember that tomans attack for food and for terrirotial/protecting babies...

with live fish used as bait, the toman not only views it as food but a threat...if use liver..it is only for food

I cycle. But only for fun.
  • hoaxter
    u guys tink tat hooking frogs are cruel? lol

hooking fish, prawns , worms , not cruel isit? :idea: :idea: :idea:
  • stingrray
    Hooking monsters toman is very cruel. Let me do the dirty work... :twisted:
  • Ray
    Ha... Ha... Ha...

I am sorry for any misunderstanding...

Well, What i mean is by hooking a smaller bait a.k.a the catfish, if you can't get papa Snake Head you can also get smaller Snake Head.

For example, it is much better for the Snake Head to swallow smaller bait then bigger bait right?

If the Snake Head saw a smaller bait, they won't hesitate to take the bait other than bigger bait.

Well, there is an exception of course. IF the Snake Head is Big, IF the Snake Head is Hungry, IF the Snake Head sense a Threat to her "Sun Kia" (The Kids).

In my experience fishing for Snake Head for over 2 years, i learned a lot from the "Lao Jiao" (GrandMaster) and also myself.

I have used a lot of baits from banana, veggie, meat, chicken livers, pig livers, my precious goldfish, prawn (live/dead), 30 cm catfish, 20 cm catfish, and finally i resized it to 15 cm catfish.

Well i guess size does matter.

P.S: By the way, i have experimented the size of the catfish as bait and i can guaranteed you that the size of approximately 10 - 15 cm is the best.
  • Rikimaru_
    Ray" said:
    Ha... Ha... Ha...

I am sorry for any misunderstanding...

Well, What i mean is by hooking a smaller bait a.k.a the catfish, if you can't get papa Snake Head you can also get smaller Snake Head.

For example, it is much better for the Snake Head to swallow smaller bait then bigger bait right?

If the Snake Head saw a smaller bait, they won't hesitate to take the bait other than bigger bait.

Well, there is an exception of course. IF the Snake Head is Big, IF the Snake Head is Hungry, IF the Snake Head sense a Threat to her "Sun Kia" (The Kids).

In my experience fishing for Snake Head for over 2 years, i learned a lot from the "Lao Jiao" (GrandMaster) and also myself.

I have used a lot of baits from banana, veggie, meat, chicken livers, pig livers, my precious goldfish, prawn (live/dead), 30 cm catfish, 20 cm catfish, and finally i resized it to 15 cm catfish.

Well i guess size does matter.

P.S: By the way, i have experimented the size of the catfish as bait and i can guaranteed you that the size of approximately 10 - 15 cm is the best.
    Too small. too light, too weak...cannot swim far. 30cm catfish also can catch 500g toman..trust me... they will whack things bigger than them. they will swaloow
  • oliver
    Hi bros, some location to hunt 4 "them" are-s'pore country club but must be terrain-trained...hahaha..like jungle warfare and pls put on those greenish attire if u hve cos there's a watch tower over there. 2ndly, "Gu Sua"..go in by chestnut drive and lastly "ah ma keng", used to be pig farms aeons ago but i am not tat sure now.......happy huntin..... :D
  • oliver
    Pls remember to respect the surroundings...."phang tan" is the key word...cheers to all!! :D
  • joeyjoey
    hoaxter" said:
    u guys tink tat hooking frogs are cruel? lol

hooking fish, prawns , worms , not cruel isit? :idea: :idea: :idea:
    agree with what you've said, but i guess that is part of fishing. if hooking frogs, fish, prawns and worms are cruel, what about hooking them for the sake of hooking up more fishes.?
  • Jordan488
    lol i m just scare of live frog i usually wack them on the stone then hook it lol... when jigging the leg still look live
  • baitfish1
    Hi stingray n riki, u never know wat living in our local water. For me is a very good exprience, because i never hit something big in our local fresh water. My biggest is a shoalernose(don,t know spell correctly) which is around maybe more than 40kg, but that is a live time experince because three guys help me fight the fish. And a big thanks to that the two guys who help me in fighting the moster at mandai. Sorry guys i don,t know how to upload the photo from my handphone.
  • elkaremo
    hook frog? I heard use rubber band around the waist better right? I alway scare to hook other things besides shrimp...even fish also, like not so nice like that.got blood. Dun know why - mentality? but i just console my self say prawn's nervous system not as advanced n developed, not so painful...lol
    back to topic. for catfish hook where? lips?
  • stingrray
    baitfish1" said:
    Hi stingray n riki, u never know wat living in our local water. For me is a very good exprience, because i never hit something big in our local fresh water. My biggest is a shoalernose(don,t know spell correctly) which is around maybe more than 40kg, but that is a live time experince because three guys help me fight the fish. And a big thanks to that the two guys who help me in fighting the moster at mandai. Sorry guys i don,t know how to upload the photo from my handphone.
    I never doubt there's biggies in Singapore. Used to see belida about man-size (ie around 1.5-1.7m) tall dried at reserviour (lower seletar) there. Toman around 5kg are common there. But that happen >10yrs back.

Last time before macrichit reserviour opens, used to feed the huge pacu at the jogging bridge there. Think the pacu at least 20-30kg bah... Fishes at old reserviours are very big. Only quiestion is U can find them anot?

cheers,
    stingrray 8)
  • BubbleWrapp
    Where to buy the catfish ah
  • ayeosq
    Where to buy the catfish ah
    ​Local aquarium got liao...