GT Hooks

benscorpio99
edited October 2014 in Jigging & Popping
Can anyone share what brand or types of hooks are good enough to land 30KGs and above GTs?
Can Owner STBL66 or STBL76 do the job?
Of cos assuming they are properly hook set as not properly set hook then any hook can open.
  • bigsplash
    of course

personally im using OWNER ST66BL 4/0 n 5/0

its much better when releasing the fish

that said, you need to keep the line tight under the fish is net or boarded

i notice whenever they put the fish onto the deck, the lure will just drop out. prob due to the lack of a barb
  • ckjh
    benscorpio99" said:
    Can anyone share what brand or types of hooks are good enough to land 30KGs and above GTs?
    Can Owner STBL66 or STBL76 do the job?
    Of cos assuming they are properly hook set as not properly set hook then any hook can open.
    Owner produces one of the best trebles in the market. Personally i tried almost most of the hooks.
    One disadvantage for ST66 will be higher chance to open up than the 76. But they provide better hook set and penetrate very well. St 76 on the other hand is a strong hook but they may not set well into the fish's mouth. They are also quite heavy which may affect the lure's action.

There are also the Shout trebles, Intense Treble, Gt recorder trebles which all proven and tested.

The fish in my signature was caught using oishi 3/0 and 5/0.

Good luck.
  • Andrewmj
    Just to share some info on Treble Hooks ,

Nowadays there are so many choices of trebles in the market . I personally have tried Gamakatsu , Decoy , Owner , Shout and Intense hooks . All these brands works out fine so far as long as you really penetrate the hooks deep thru the hard jaws of GT .

I personally using Shout Trebles due to the sharpness of the hooks and price but there is a little fault that you need to notice when using this hooks . The tip is fine and sharp but the tip tends to bend after sometime of uses which will cause the hooks hard to penetrate deep in the fishes and causing the hooks to open

• ckjh
    Andrewmj" said:

Nowadays there are so many choices of trebles in the market . I personally have tried Gamakatsu , Decoy , Owner , Shout and Intense hooks . All these brands works out fine so far as long as you really penetrate the hooks deep thru the hard jaws of GT .

I personally using Shout Trebles due to the sharpness of the hooks and price but there is a little fault that you need to notice when using this hooks . The tip is fine and sharp but the tip tends to bend after sometime of uses which will cause the hooks hard to penetrate deep in the fishes and causing the hooks to open

Andrew, what sizes are the shout trebles? It's way too many opening!!
  • Andrewmj
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="Andrewmj"]

Andrew, what sizes are the shout trebles? It's way too many opening!![/quote]

Hahaha all the hooks are size 5/0 , i brought 4 packs of 5/0 hooks up and left with 1 packs :lol:
  • Bwky
    I use st 66 but not the barbless version, if needed can just crush the barbs with a plier, therefore you have the option if the fishing is tough to keep the barbs there.

Recently tried out oishi 5/0 trebles. its super sharp. just a knock of the lure on my finger already got blood, heng never penetrate. Looks very strong too, but havent had a chance to hook on to any fish, the last thing that hit my lure after changing the hooks was a teng which went airbone and cut me off. luckily the gamma floated back to the surface. :lol: :lol:
  • ckjh
    Bwky" said:
    I use st 66 but not the barbless version, if needed can just crush the barbs with a plier, therefore you have the option if the fishing is tough to keep the barbs there.

Recently tried out oishi 5/0 trebles. its super sharp. just a knock of the lure on my finger already got blood, heng never penetrate. Looks very strong too, but havent had a chance to hook on to any fish, the last thing that hit my lure after changing the hooks was a teng which went airbone and cut me off. luckily the gamma floated back to the surface. :lol: :lol:
    Side track a little. What size gamma are you using
  • benscorpio99
    Andrewmj" said:
    [quote="ckjh"][quote="Andrewmj"]

Andrew, what sizes are the shout trebles? It's way too many opening!![/quote]

Hahaha all the hooks are size 5/0 , i brought 4 packs of 5/0 hooks up and left with 1 packs :lol:[/quote]

Wow....
    Shout hooks will make you shout then.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Steve71
    As the TS had mentioned, any brand of hook can or will open under the right circumstances. I have used almost every reputable trebles in the market and have seen hooks opening or even snapped from each brand.

Amongst the few popular brands mentioned, I feel the Shout curve point to be the weakest. Though I like that they are really sharp. the downside is they bend too easily. Won't use them when targeting mid to monster size GTs.

Owner ST66 are most cost effective in my view. Price is right and reliable enough. In terms of popularity and track record, the GT Recorders are still the ones to go for (if price isn't a factor). Otherwise, the ST66 will be a good choice. ;)
  • Bwky
    Hi Bro,

Using gamma 140.
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="Bwky"]I use st 66 but not the barbless version, if needed can just crush the barbs with a plier, therefore you have the option if the fishing is tough to keep the barbs there.

Side track a little. What size gamma are you using[/quote]
  • ckjh
    Bwky" said:
    Hi Bro,

Using gamma 140.

[quote="ckjh"][quote="Bwky"]I use st 66 but not the barbless version, if needed can just crush the barbs with a plier, therefore you have the option if the fishing is tough to keep the barbs there.

Side track a little. What size gamma are you using[/quote][/quote]

I love that size. Easy to work with.
  • ChrisT
    My personal preference is decoy 8/0 and 10/0 but almost impossible to get these days. Gamakatsu and owners are good too.

Try singles as well - I find they tend to stay hooked a bit better.

• ckjh
    ChrisT" said:

My personal preference is decoy 8/0 and 10/0 but almost impossible to get these days. Gamakatsu and owners are good too.

Try singles as well - I find they tend to stay hooked a bit better.

Yea, Decoys!! Just dont know why are they so difficult to get. Ive tried intense, they are awesome too.

I love using assist hook for my poppers and i can say they offers better hook up. Sadly not all make and models are able to fit the single assist hook method. They just dont get the balance and swimming action right.