Casting distance with PE 8 line

benscorpio99
edited November 2015 in Jigging & Popping
Hi I am new to the popping world and would like to ask what kind of rod, popper or stickbait do you guys use for a long distance cast with a pe 8 line.

I am using jerry brown solid core and could only achieve 65m in distance while my friend did 70m.

Looking forward to your advises and the type of gears you use to achieve the distance.
It would be great also if you have compared different line poundage to see what kind of difference would there be in the distance achieved.
  • SportAngler
    Line is not just the issue.
    What rod, reel & weight of popper you were casting?
  • ckjh
    benscorpio99" said:
    Hi I am new to the popping world and would like to ask what kind of rod, popper or stickbait do you guys use for a long distance cast with a pe 8 line.

I am using jerry brown solid core and could only achieve 65m in distance while my friend did 70m.

Looking forward to your advises and the type of gears you use to achieve the distance.
    It would be great also if you have compared different line poundage to see what kind of difference would there be in the distance achieved.
    Firstly what are the gears you are using. How long is your leader line? What is the poundage. What is the weight of poppers you are casting.
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="benscorpio99"]Hi I am new to the popping world and would like to ask what kind of rod, popper or stickbait do you guys use for a long distance cast with a pe 8 line.

Firstly what are the gears you are using. How long is your leader line? What is the poundage. What is the weight of poppers you are casting.[/quote]

I am using endless passion 86/40 with 10k reel and casting 130g sticknait. leader is about 1.5-2m.
  • benscorpio99
    SportAngler" said:
    Line is not just the issue.
    What rod, reel & weight of popper you were casting?
    hi as stated above my gears. The leader is 130lbs.
  • Andrewmj
    Hi there ,

Just to share , i manage to hit the buoy at Mandai few times before with the help of the wind and correct lures :D Lures & Lines do play apart for the casting distance . But all to all , you need to practice how to give more loading to your rod .

For long popping rods , i usually will have a longer leader out of the tip with later finger releasing while casting to give the rod more loading before the cast ;)
  • benscorpio99
    Andrewmj" said:
    Hi there ,

Just to share , i manage to hit the buoy at Mandai few times before with the help of the wind and correct lures :D Lures & Lines do play apart for the casting distance . But all to all , you need to practice how to give more loading to your rod .

For long popping rods , i usually will have a longer leader out of the tip with later finger releasing while casting to give the rod more loading before the cast ;)
    Can provide what gears, lines and lures are you using to hit that distance?
    I think that's very far!
  • ckjh
    benscorpio99" said:
    [quote="ckjh"][quote="benscorpio99"]Hi I am new to the popping world and would like to ask what kind of rod, popper or stickbait do you guys use for a long distance cast with a pe 8 line.

Firstly what are the gears you are using. How long is your leader line? What is the poundage. What is the weight of poppers you are casting.[/quote]

I am using endless passion 86/40 with 10k reel and casting 130g sticknait. leader is about 1.5-2m.[/quote]

For your set up, you have the length advantage. For carpenter rating of /40. You can easily use up to 160g stickbaits. Some anglers will use leader lines less than 1m. Leader of 130lbs will be no problem with clearing the guides. Also keep in mind your fg/pr knot. If you are using 2-3 inches long for the joint, that is where your problem lies . Most importantly, how you are able to load your lure. Meaning, the casting techniques. With all that tuned correctly, you are able to get 10-20m more
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:

For your set up, you have the length advantage. For carpenter rating of /40. You can easily use up to 160g stickbaits. Some anglers will use leader lines less than 1m. Leader of 130lbs will be no problem with clearing the guides. Also keep in mind your fg/pr knot. If you are using 2-3 inches long for the joint, that is where your problem lies . Most importantly, how you are able to load your lure. Meaning, the casting techniques. With all that tuned correctly, you are able to get 10-20m more
    Do you mean the FG knot that is 2-3 inches is the problem?
    So if I leave the FG knot outside of the guide then it should not be a problem already?
    after casting 140g lures with the EP I already feel much rod saturation. 160g might not reach the distance that a 120g-130g can is my findings so far.
  • ckjh
    benscorpio99" said:
    [quote="ckjh"]
    Do you mean the FG knot that is 2-3 inches is the problem?
    So if I leave the FG knot outside of the guide then it should not be a problem already?
    after casting 140g lures with the EP I already feel much rod saturation. 160g might not reach the distance that a 120g-130g can is my findings so far.[/quote]

Shorten the knot, try having the leader within the first 1-2 guides from the tip. Stick bait should not be a problem actually. I am using coral viper 79/40 for
    160g gammas. Anyway work with something you are comfortable with. Just try. But do keep in mind, you are going to cast half a day during trips. So practice on working the lures rather than aiming that extra distance. In which 60m is sufficient. Most importantly, keep casting and do not give up.
    Tight lines.
  • ckjh
    Oh ya. Adding to the fg knot. I am using about 1 inch, that includes all the half hitches.
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:
    Oh ya. Adding to the fg knot. I am using about 1 inch, that includes all the half hitches.
    I see. Thank you for sharing!
  • Andrewmj
    benscorpio99" said:
    [quote="Andrewmj"]Hi there ,

I think that's very far![/quote]

I'm using EP82/38 , Stella 14K , Avani GT PE6 , 130lbs Prosele Nanodax leader 2 - 3m , Yozuri GT Bull ;)

Btw i'm using FG Knot around 1 - 1.5inches , no longer than that :D
  • benscorpio99
    Andrewmj" said:
    [quote="benscorpio99"][quote="Andrewmj"]Hi there ,

I think that's very far![/quote]

I'm using EP82/38 , Stella 14K , Avani GT PE6 , 130lbs Prosele Nanodax leader 2 - 3m , Yozuri GT Bull ;)

Btw i'm using FG Knot around 1 - 1.5inches , no longer than that :D[/quote]

I see! thanks for sharing!
  • OnateO
    Should we be using wind on leader or a short leader with fg knot outside of the guides?
  • ckjh
    OnateO" said:
    Should we be using wind on leader or a short leader with fg knot outside of the guides?
    It depends on user and place of fishing. Some places are good to have longer leader as it could be rocky drop off. Some anglers will be using leader line to as long as the target fish only.
  • Boardbill
    Using pe8 on 10k reel avg 65 to 70m cast is very good distance.

I'm order to increase the distance without changing the reel and rod. Only left with leader rigging style, main line and casting technic to work with.

Leader: braid and leader knot outside the tip is the furthest casting. But this style left u with about 1m or less leader length (depending on your casting technic length of leader outside the rod tip) which is not much of a shock or structure prevention.

Leader: Hollow braid with a loop splicing end join to a twisty leader wind till the join just in front of the striper guide. Or:
    Main line braid short fg or pr knot to leader. With the knot at the same position ahead of the striper guide.
    second furthest.
    Both style provide longer leader length and twisty leader provider better stretch.

Conventional wind in leader to spool. The longest leader length. Also the lest distance among all.

All 3 difference in casting about 5 to 10m

Main line: brand of line type of line and also the coating that prevent water being absorb into line making line heavier lesser distance.
    choice of line from solid pe line to hollow line.
    Hollow line normally absorb more water.
    This is when all the line coating comes into play.

Casting technic: overhead or side cast.. leader Length outside the tip. This plays a part on the style of cast and technic u using. Overhead cast is preferred as safer and less space required more accurate.

Your 10k spool on pe8 line max cap 200m. After casting 65 to 70m. The spool line diameter is reduce causing the line to leave the spool slower. Try using bigger reel with bigger spool diameter to give u the extra distance.

Try to reconfigure your leader join and casting techinic is the most cost saving of all.

Go for casting session to learn and try techinic to load your rod better during cast. Work with different lure weight. This is the best way to improving casting.
  • benscorpio99
    Boardbill" said:
    Using pe8 on 10k reel avg 65 to 70m cast is very good distance.

I'm order to increase the distance without changing the reel and rod. Only left with leader rigging style, main line and casting technic to work with.

Leader: braid and leader knot outside the tip is the furthest casting. But this style left u with about 1m or less leader length (depending on your casting technic length of leader outside the rod tip) which is not much of a shock or structure prevention.

Leader: Hollow braid with a loop splicing end join to a twisty leader wind till the join just in front of the striper guide. Or:
    Main line braid short fg or pr knot to leader. With the knot at the same position ahead of the striper guide.
    second furthest.
    Both style provide longer leader length and twisty leader provider better stretch.

Conventional wind in leader to spool. The longest leader length. Also the lest distance among all.

All 3 difference in casting about 5 to 10m

Main line: brand of line type of line and also the coating that prevent water being absorb into line making line heavier lesser distance.
    choice of line from solid pe line to hollow line.
    Hollow line normally absorb more water.
    This is when all the line coating comes into play.

Casting technic: overhead or side cast.. leader Length outside the tip. This plays a part on the style of cast and technic u using. Overhead cast is preferred as safer and less space required more accurate.

Your 10k spool on pe8 line max cap 200m. After casting 65 to 70m. The spool line diameter is reduce causing the line to leave the spool slower. Try using bigger reel with bigger spool diameter to give u the extra distance.

Try to reconfigure your leader join and casting techinic is the most cost saving of all.

Go for casting session to learn and try techinic to load your rod better during cast. Work with different lure weight. This is the best way to improving casting.
    So far what kind of setup are you using to get the best distance?
  • Boardbill
    I normally fish with a wind in leader. Just 2 round on the spool. It gives me the best shock and stretch. There rest of the leader connection are just ways to improve casting distance. I use to rig my spare set using such leader connection but getting l lazy now.

To get the best distance in actual fishing condition is different. There's head wind to deal with or strong windy days. Don't worry so much on the distance when u are hitting 65 to 70m during dry. That's very far on a pe8 line and a 130g lure.. It's enough for many areas.

I'm a believer in stiffer longer rod gives the longer cast. its the limit of the user using it. Limit not In the strength of the user but rather the endurance of the user.

Hope to cast with u and your friend one day. Not many people I know can hit the 70m mark sure there's things to learn from u guys.
  • ckjh
    Boardbill" said:
    I normally fish with a wind in leader. Just 2 round on the spool. It gives me the best shock and stretch. There rest of the leader connection are just ways to improve casting distance. I use to rig my spare set using such leader connection but getting l lazy now.

To get the best distance in actual fishing condition is different. There's head wind to deal with or strong windy days. Don't worry so much on the distance when u are hitting 65 to 70m during dry. That's very far on a pe8 line and a 130g lure.. It's enough for many areas.

I'm a believer in stiffer longer rod gives the longer cast. its the limit of the user using it. Limit not In the strength of the user but rather the endurance of the user.

Hope to cast with u and your friend one day. Not many people I know can hit the 70m mark sure there's things to learn from u guys.
    Adding on to that, the way you cast your lure is also very important. Some cast from the side, I will recommend you practice on overhead cast. Once you can cast it straight. You will notice your lures cutting throught the air without spinning. Thats ensures you further casting distance.
    Anyway do not keep worrying about distance. If you cant cast that far, simply ask the boat captain to go nearer. I will rather lose a few meters than having my leader short .
  • benscorpio99
    Boardbill" said:

Sure. I don't see why not! :)
    Just pm me your number.
    I will contact you for a casting session.
    If anyone wants to join me do let me know via pm!
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="Boardbill"]I normally fish with a wind in leader. Just 2 round on the spool. It gives me the best shock and stretch. There rest of the leader connection are just ways to improve casting distance. I use to rig my spare set using such leader connection but getting l lazy now.

Adding on to that, the way you cast your lure is also very important. Some cast from the side, I will recommend you practice on overhead cast. Once you can cast it straight. You will notice your lures cutting throught the air without spinning. Thats ensures you further casting distance.
    Anyway do not keep worrying about distance. If you cant cast that far, simply ask the boat captain to go nearer. I will rather lose a few meters than having my leader short .[/quote]

I see. I guess I am worrying too much as I have not been to any GT popping trips before.
    My take on the leader length would be if its shallow waters then I think a longer leader would be more advantageous to prevent cut offs.
    In deeper waters I guess it should be sufficient with a shorter one.
    Do correct me if I am wrong with such reasoning.
  • Boardbill
    The purpose of the long leader is to have more stretch cause braid line don't stretch. The stretch ability of the mono will reduce the breakage due to shock.
    If any contact with structure the mono holds and take abrasion higher them braid.

try tieing your one end of your rig to a fix object.
    pull till bust and compare the difference between long and short leader u will understand.

Try it.
  • ckjh
    benscorpio99" said:
    [quote="ckjh"][quote="Boardbill"]I normally fish with a wind in leader. Just 2 round on the spool. It gives me the best shock and stretch. There rest of the leader connection are just ways to improve casting distance. I use to rig my spare set using such leader connection but getting l lazy now.

Anyway do not keep worrying about distance. If you cant cast that far, simply ask the boat captain to go nearer. I will rather lose a few meters than having my leader short .[/quote]

I see. I guess I am worrying too much as I have not been to any GT popping trips before.
    My take on the leader length would be if its shallow waters then I think a longer leader would be more advantageous to prevent cut offs.
    In deeper waters I guess it should be sufficient with a shorter one.
    Do correct me if I am wrong with such reasoning.[/quote]

You will not be popping at deep water. Keep a look out for my Bali's catch report. You will see the importance
  • benscorpio99
    ckjh" said:

You will not be popping at deep water. Keep a look out for my Bali's catch report. You will see the importance
    Alright! post more pics please!
  • The Monster
    Dear TS

It's not just about the set-up or which set-up can cast further. Otherwise, there will only be ONE setup in the end. As some of the kakis have mentioned, the leader length, knot, line and rod action over lure weight all have a small part to play. More importantly, improve or work on your casting technique to optimize distance.

With exactly the same set-up, different anglers will still end up achieving various distance. No angler cast exactly the same way due to the difference in physique, strength and ability.

Pick a set-up that best suit your casting style and physique and you will automatically get better distance. With more practice and getting a better feel of the setup over time, it will further optimize the distance achievable. ;)
  • benscorpio99
    The Monster" said:
    Dear TS

It's not just about the set-up or which set-up can cast further. Otherwise, there will only be ONE setup in the end. As some of the kakis have mentioned, the leader length, knot, line and rod action over lure weight all have a small part to play. More importantly, improve or work on your casting technique to optimize distance.

With exactly the same set-up, different anglers will still end up achieving various distance. No angler cast exactly the same way due to the difference in physique, strength and ability.

Pick a set-up that best suit your casting style and physique and you will automatically get better distance. With more practice and getting a better feel of the setup over time, it will further optimize the distance achievable. ;)
    Alright thanks. Will be putting things I learn to the test soon.
  • Grubby
    hi all Guru's, I'm new to popping and i have a question.
    my setup as follow:
    Stella 14k / yamaga bluereef GT 76/6
    I plan to try popping at terranganu oil rig, acheh, etc

What poundage line should i load the reel? #8(112lbs 200m) or #6(85lbs 300m) ???
  • benscorpio99
    Grubby" said:
    my setup as follow:

What poundage line should i load the reel? #8(112lbs 200m) or #6(85lbs 300m) ???
    Hi Grubby,

I believe line cap is not an issue with GTs.
    The only thing now is if u need casting distance or not.
    Maybe it s better to ask those who have been to both places to advise u more specifically.
    There is always a trade off in anything u decide so you have to find the best compromise.
  • Bwky
    Grubby" said:
    my setup as follow:

Rigs are tricky situations, i would go 18k and pe 8 and bring spare line. If you cannot get an 18k, just go with pe 8 x 200m, and yes bring spare line. Popping at night? be careful as you cannot see the fish come in for the kill, and that can be very dangerous so always have someone looking out for you, ie not fishing but standing by to grab your gimbal.
  • Boardbill
    Load pe8 230m for your 14k. The drag on the 14k even on full won't break the pe8 unless u don't have enough shock leader to take the shock or the knot not well tied.

If u use 18k pe8. The reel is heavier. Spool diameter bigger and cast slightly better but it's a trade off that is not easily acceptable if the angler not use to casting 18k weight reel whole trip.

Oil rig u going is bright enough and sometimes the boat circle the rig for u to cast. Wear your fighting belt while u fish is the best bet. U can use it to work your popper and learn to work your chug in tight spaces as the boat is big but limited spaces when there's others chugging around u to prevent your rod from hitting others.

Chugger are mostly used at night. Chug and pause work them slow and loud. Normally the fish hit at the pause.

Practice your cast from tight spaces as a smaller casting area is aways an advantage. Overhead casting is advise. It allow u to cast from most boat stern or starboard or any where as long as there's enough space for your shoulder to fit in and theres plenty of room above your head. Stand with your back nearer to the edge of the boat as there's plenty of room outside the boat.

Fish there will hit and dives so hang on tight and embrace the suck!!
    Keep casting.....