PG and HG question

Hazar TeamGFB
edited September 2014 in Jigging & Popping
Hi Guys,

Why do we need a HG to do popping? Maldives trip soon but I bought a PG reel instead (should have post this earlier). Stella 10K PG. I still don't understand that reason for HG. Can someone please please enlighten me. Many thanks!

Regards,
Hazar (noob angler)
  • Devilzken
    For popping u need to speed in working the popper. For hg single turn retrieve is abt pg half. (Exact detail I not too sure). Pg able to work jus have to turn more as compare to hg which make u more shag lol
  • bocajnay
    Hi bro. Unless u got bionic arms that can work tirelessly for 3-4 hours at a go, a hg version is definitely the less tiring way. If I rem correctly pg is 3.8/1. Meaning for 1 revolution of the reel handle, ur spool rotates 3.8 times. For hg the gear ratio is 5.8/1. Meaning for every time u reel in u lose about 2 revolutions of the spool. I might be wrong about the gear ratio but that's roughly how the gear ratio benefits casting and retrieving.
    U can always make it up by retrieving super fast all the time but u need a lot of Redbull and stamina.
    I have friends who didn't believe in having proper setups, choosing to use their pg reels. In the end they noticed a lot of bite marks on their poppers with very little successful hook ups.
    That being said, fishing is how u like it, not what people say it is. Some people like casting lures all day, some people like waiting peacefully for bites with baited hooks. I wish you a successful fishing trip and safe travel.
  • Manado
    Hi...

The reason we use a HG/XG reel when popping is bcos with every sweep of our rod to impart swimming, diving, darting and bubbling action to our swimbaits or splashing, chugging, skipping and popping action to the poppers we are creating slacks between the line from our rod tip and the lures as we pull it forward cos they are normally floating or slow sinking which unlike jigs cannot pull the line straight fast enough thus losing direct contact and hook setting tension should a fish take the lure at that moment. With a PG reel you will still be able to wind in the line to retrieve the slacks but imagine how many more revolution you will have to do in order to get back the same 70-100m of line everytime you cast and multiply that by the number or cast you will do in a day while popping!!! Hence the birth of HG/XG reel to counter this and increase your chances of having a solid hook up thru lessen slacks should a fish take a fancy to the lures you are working....

Having said that, you do loose out on outright cranking power if you should hook up a fish while popping thus having a gd rod like Carpenter and Ripple with strong recovery blanks for lifting does help to compensate for that!

Hope my 2 cents view is helpful in answering your question. :)
  • SportAngler
    Above bros had mention the different.
    Since you already bought it, just use what you have.
    I uses both HG & PG to popping. Just need to reel 2 more round that's all.
    But you have a better cranking power.
    Most importantly training is the key for you to be able to cast whole and fight fishes at the same time.
    Join us at Mandai if you like.
  • setanmerah
    Check also line per crank.
    Example:
    STL 8000SWB HG --> 42" per crank
    STL 10000SWB PG --> 40" per crank
    I compare 8k SWB HG and 10k SWB because can't find 10K HG version and I believed 8k SWB and 10k SWB has same body size.

So there is only 2" different between 8k HG & 10K PG which is little.
  • Devilzken
    Depends on the line cap also. Possible to get a 8 k hg wif a 12k spool will b better
  • ckjh
    Get youself a HG. Since you are going maldives. Use the pg for jigging. Sometimes you dont get that chance for the extra cranking when the fish strikes.
  • OG
    Hi Guys,
    I had Stella 6000PG. If i want to try popping and buy a popping rod and use this is reel of mine is it ok? Just wanna try out first before investing more money into the right set up.Just a beginner.
  • ckjh
    Manado" said:
    Hi...

The reason we use a HG/XG reel when popping is bcos with every sweep of our rod to impart swimming, diving, darting and bubbling action to our swimbaits or splashing, chugging, skipping and popping action to the poppers we are creating slacks between the line from our rod tip and the lures as we pull it forward cos they are normally floating or slow sinking which unlike jigs cannot pull the line straight fast enough thus losing direct contact and hook setting tension should a fish take the lure at that moment. With a PG reel you will still be able to wind in the line to retrieve the slacks but imagine how many more revolution you will have to do in order to get back the same 70-100m of line everytime you cast and multiply that by the number or cast you will do in a day while popping!!! Hence the birth of HG/XG reel to counter this and increase your chances of having a solid hook up thru lessen slacks should a fish take a fancy to the lures you are working....

Having said that, you do loose out on outright cranking power if you should hook up a fish while popping thus having a gd rod like Carpenter and Ripple with strong recovery blanks for lifting does help to compensate for that!

Hope my 2 cents view is helpful in answering your question. :)
    Well said.
    Totally agree
  • ckjh
    OG" said:
    Hi Guys,
    I had Stella 6000PG. If i want to try popping and buy a popping rod and use this is reel of mine is it ok? Just wanna try out first before investing more money into the right set up.Just a beginner.
    Actually anything is ok. There are no guidelines when it comes to fishing. Try popping and you will see what is the common problem faced when doing it. Anyway, let's not talk about dry cast. More to working the lure and having to take on your popper.

Ive friends that use jigging rods to pop. You just lose the distance. So for PG you lose the speed to retrieve but you gain power in cranking. Which is not that important in popping. Anyway there are some who thinks differently. So it's pretty up to individual.
  • Hazar TeamGFB
    Thanks all for the time to enlighten me. So I guess I will be converting my PG to HG to accommodate Maldives.