Micro Jigs - How to tie your own assist hooks

LLCC
edited September 2014 in Jigging & Popping
I could never find a ready made jig assist hook that fit my jigs the way I like it, so I made up a bunch for myself.

Many of the blokes who fish with me started to ask me to make some for them, so I decided to make this step by step pictorial guide in hopes it may help others DIY their own too.

MICRO JIGGING – TIE YOUR OWN ASSIST HOOKS

1.) 2 sizes of spilt rings, the bigger is rated 2x the strength of the smaller, and the smaller is rated at 1.5x strength as your line’s breaking strain or there about. Eg: My mainline size range from 6lb to 10lb. So the smallest split ring I can find is 15lb, and the bigger one is around 30lb. In the case where your assist hook is irretrievably stuck, gradual pressure on the line will cause the small split ring to deform and break off, saving your jig and line.

Why not use the biggest, strongest ring? Because it will slow down the action of your jig. I believe by using as light as I can afford to use, greatly increases my chance to attract fish in our heavily pressured waters to bite.

2.) Get some gold plated hooks which have its gape as wide as your jig.

3.) Hollow Kevlar or Spectra chord, the choice is yours. Note that although Kevlar is harder to cut and has greater heat hesitance, it has poor flexibility and like a wire that is repeatedly folded, will break at that fold.

Spectra however has a very low melting point and is not as resistant to cutting than Kevlar. It is however resistant to breaking at the fold, and has better resistance to teeth than normal fluorocarbon monofilament. In my picture, I have Asari hollow Kevlar chord. I find that 90lbs works great for me. (I also use 80lb Jerry Brown hollow core Spectra too).

4.) A spool of whipping floss with a bobbin. You can make do with fine dental floss on one of those Japanese FG knot bobbin too.

5.) A big eyed needle, large enough to thread your Kevlar through, and some threading device to help you thread the needle and the bobbin.

6.) A sharp pair of scissors that can cut Kevlar/Spectra cleanly

7.) Optional: Super glue, clear Nail Polish, some synthetic flash material (Aurora threads in this case), A fly tying vice and a whipping tool which you can get from fly tying suppliers.

8.) Absent in this photo is a 2ft length of 60lb mono wire, folded in 2 and a fly tying vice.

Part 1: Read More...

--------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------

MICRO JIGGING – TIE YOUR OWN ASSIST HOOKS II

[attachment=0]img0838h (1).jpg[/attachment]
People ask me why I need to form such an elaborate eye when passing one end through the other will suffice. Well, that’s a habit I carried on from making wind-on leaders for my 30lb and 50lb billfish leaders. If you pass one end through the other, you can just as easily draw that end out when the leader is not stretched. But if you think your chinese handcuff is strong enough for you, go ahead and bypass this section.

Pass one end through the midpoint of your Kevlar chord. I use a large eyed needle to do this.

Part 2: Read More...

HTH,
LL