Which line to pair with my rod and reel

bombomlee
edited September 2014 in Jigging & Popping
Hey all,

would like to ask, which braid and what poundage should I pair with my rod and reel for bao ka liao jigging?

My setup is, Storm gomoku Kaiten + shimano scorpion 1001xt

Currently the line in my scorpion is Sufix 832 10lb below, YGK g-soul wx8 14lb on top.

I don't know why, but the YGK line has a tendency to burst easily... maybe at the shop for too long already. Wasted $60 for that line.

Would like to respool a full spool of line, would be great if someone can recommend me a line upgrade!

Used spiderwire and fireline before, not my kind of braid, FG knot does not really hold up well with this braid.
  • stormmac
    Powerpro perhaps
  • LetsGoFish
    You might wish to try Seaguar braid
  • ckjh
    bombomlee" said:
    Hey all,

would like to ask, which braid and what poundage should I pair with my rod and reel for bao ka liao jigging?

My setup is, Storm gomoku Kaiten + shimano scorpion 1001xt

Currently the line in my scorpion is Sufix 832 10lb below, YGK g-soul wx8 14lb on top.

I don't know why, but the YGK line has a tendency to burst easily... maybe at the shop for too long already. Wasted $60 for that line.

Would like to respool a full spool of line, would be great if someone can recommend me a line upgrade!

Used spiderwire and fireline before, not my kind of braid, FG knot does not really hold up well with this braid.
    Hi. What do you mean by on top. Anyway do consider the powerpro lines. Good and durable though they may lose their colour. Consider the new 8 braids
  • bombomlee
    2 for powerpro 1 for seaguar!

I shall check both out. Heard of seaguar but never really tried!

Powerpro super 8 slick is it?

I'm kind of a fan of the Sufix lines but willing to try something different.

On top meaning it was joined with a knot since the YGK line wasn't enough to fill the spool. So it just joined together with my original sufix 832 braid. Still, my spool is only half filled :/
  • ckjh
    bombomlee" said:
    2 for powerpro 1 for seaguar!

I shall check both out. Heard of seaguar but never really tried!

Powerpro super 8 slick is it?

I'm kind of a fan of the Sufix lines but willing to try something different.

On top meaning it was joined with a knot since the YGK line wasn't enough to fill the spool. So it just joined together with my original sufix 832 braid. Still, my spool is only half filled :/
    ohh, mind if i ask. Do you get wind knot often? as joining of lines of different diameters may cause windknots to occur upon casting.

Yes, the 8 slick from powerpro. I used them for most of my smaller reels. For bigger ones, i swear by Varivas. If you are willing to spend a little more, do consider the varivas lower pe lines. Best lines so far. But a little costly.
  • bombomlee
    Nope, no wind knots. I'll keep in mind the Varivas line! Seen them a few times.. On my way to tackle shop to take a look now..