Keeping tambans alive

T-Rex
edited April 2005 in General Fishing
Hi all, anyone got any experience in keeping tambans caught in BJT alive for at least a day? I was thinking of jigging for live tambans in bjt, put them in box with sea water and a air pump. But I was told that tambans cannot live long once hooked out of water.
  • T-Rex
    That was what I was told too... Any idea how long will they last if just put them in a livebait well with airpump only? Was planning to go jigging for live tamban on sat afternoon and use them on sun, looks like I have to change my plans...
  • Michael Lim
    T-Rex" said:
    That was what I was told too... Any idea how long will they last if just put them in a livebait well with airpump only? Was planning to go jigging for live tamban on sat afternoon and use them on sun, looks like I have to change my plans...
    If you wish to use them on Sunday, it's better to catch them on the day itself. That way, it'll be freshest. Plus, do not use containers with edges. A round one will probably help out by making the fishes swim round and round and not stress them out when they meet a corner.

Cheers,
  • T-Rex
    Michael Lim" said:
    If you wish to use them on Sunday, it's better to catch them on the day itself. That way, it'll be freshest. Plus, do not use containers with edges. A round one will probably help out by making the fishes swim round and round and not stress them out when they meet a corner.

Cheers,
    My trip is on sunday morning, timing might be too tight to jig in the morning. How about milkfish? Where to catch them and do they take feathery hooks?
  • Michael Lim
    T-Rex" said:
    [quote="Michael Lim"]If you wish to use them on Sunday, it's better to catch them on the day itself. That way, it'll be freshest. Plus, do not use containers with edges. A round one will probably help out by making the fishes swim round and round and not stress them out when they meet a corner.

Cheers,
    My trip is on sunday morning, timing might be too tight to jig in the morning. How about milkfish? Where to catch them and do they take feathery hooks?[/quote]

Milkfish? One of the hardest to catch on hook and line, the larger specimens are mostly caught when they are enticed by bread into a feeding frenzy. You may do better buying them from the shops.

Cheers,
  • T-Rex
    Roger that, thanx mike!
  • Neil Daniel
    Hi T-Rex,

You might want to consider getting those small inflatable baby pools, its less then 1m in diameter and can fit under the benches to keep it out of the sun. It costs about $5 at Toys'r'us. Use a good air pump and change the water regularly. Try not to stress them too much.

If you intend to keep and transport them, use a large bait well. Put a frozen water bottle inside to keep the water cool. Don't use ice as it will dilute the water. You may want to get a few bottles of sea water so that you can change it at home.

HOPEFULLY a few might survive. But IMHO its not worth the effort to keep them alive, I find that tamban are to kancheong when they feel enclosed.

IF you intend to use them fresh but dead, keep them cool and dry. Use newspaper to wrap them neatly, put it into a zip lock bag. and put it in a cooler.

Hope this helps.
  • Piscator
    hmmm....interesting.....no pay.....no post?.....or post removed?
  • Michael Lim
    Piscator" said:
    hmmm....interesting.....no pay.....no post?.....or post removed?
    Sorry, you had a double post just now, and when I tried to remove the double post, it cleared your original post as well.

So sorry again (still plenty of bugs to catch),
  • Piscator
    No worries dude....just curious.....
  • T-Rex
    Neil: Wah... Like a lot of work to keep them alive, didnt know tambans are so fragile, think I'll shelve my tamban plan and stick to live prawns instead.

Thanx all for your valuable inputs!!! Cheers!
  • learning2flyfish
    milkfish is a better bet.. pretty hardy fish... if u wanna go with live fish, go with the milkfish or mullets..
  • T-Rex
    learning2flyfish" said:
    milkfish is a better bet.. pretty hardy fish... if u wanna go with live fish, go with the milkfish or mullets..
    Any idea where to catch them and with what method?
  • xplorer
    Wat I did n tried was to put tambans caught at bjt in a small kept net and lowered the net back into the sea, so far so good, still manage to keep them alive. Only problem is cleaning the net very shiong because the scalle all fall off. Using this method in all my malaysia fishing trip. Works just like a livebait well.
  • Ah Gu
    Too much trouble lah bro, just use what is convenient and enjoy the fishing.

By the way, if you are thinking of bringing live baits across to JB, be prepared to pay 10 or 20ringgit for clearance if you are caught.
  • T-Rex
    Xplorer: Was planning to keep the tambans overnight at my house and use for offshore the next day.

Bro Ah Gu: Not bringing to Msia, got a offshore trip this sunday around jurong area. :lol:
  • Ah Gu
    OIC. heard the current is pretty strong there ....

Prawns are universal, should work just as well i think.
  • Chinchalo
    Hi.. tried many ways to conserve them but its impossible...yup best buy milkfish or mullets, thats why they are sold, long life. :wink:
  • lleepro
    Buy fresh kelong sotong to fish is easier and is effective during day and nite at jurong offshore. :shock:
  • learning2flyfish
    u can get them from Joe's tackle at beach rod.. not sure where else can buy... anyone can help out on where they are available??
  • T-Rex
    learning2flyfish" said:
    u can get them from Joe's tackle at beach rod.. not sure where else can buy... anyone can help out on where they are available??
    From what I was told, kelong sotong not in season now. Some tackle shop will occasionally get a bit of kelong sotong, so must call to check. Some leads given to me but yet to check out. Tekah mkt might have in the morning. NTUC in singpost building near paya lebar MRT will have them occationally but as per all NTUC, usually not as fresh compared to wet mkt.
  • lleepro
    Dont buy the frozen or been washed. Ask yr nearby market fishmonger for the greeneye or tola from kelong, they might have some kang tao or lobang cos they r fishing kaki too. Dont buy the small sotong, cut the big one to the require size at different spots for day time offshore cos tats wa the fish prefered. :shock:
  • vaped
    sincere tackle shop at yishun do sell them...very near yishun mrt. teka market is closed for renovation for 1 mth fyi
  • fishfishfish
    T-Rex" said:
    [quote="learning2flyfish"]u can get them from Joe's tackle at beach rod.. not sure where else can buy... anyone can help out on where they are available??
    From what I was told, kelong sotong not in season now. Some tackle shop will occasionally get a bit of kelong sotong, so must call to check. Some leads given to me but yet to check out. Tekah mkt might have in the morning. NTUC in singpost building near paya lebar MRT will have them occationally but as per all NTUC, usually not as fresh compared to wet mkt.[/quote]

T-Rex,

why you worrying about baits?? Thought organiser will take care of that?? From my past experience, fish prefers live prawn in Jurong island more then tambans or milkfish. :roll: Then again, i may be wrong again. Good luck. :wink:

Regards.
  • xiaoing u fish
    i have personelly fish at jurong out sea i mean.......prawns and kelong sotong will do......without keong sotong also never mind over there if you get the spot.....spots they confirm whack.......
  • lleepro
    SOTONG :lol: :D JURONG good spots.= 1 strip sotong = 1 , 2, or 3 fishes

PRAWNS :wink: JURONG good spots.= 1n1/2 to 2n1/2 prawns = 1 fish.

We too use prawns $$ but with sotong u wont waste the trips and regret cos when u r out there nobody know wat will happen or u might get in nos n spieces so with additional baits is always the best and when u decide to extend till dark. :shock: :lol:
  • Blackmax
    Jurong side just find some buoy and jig for it..

To keep...you need a pump which use for overhead filter..batt of motorbike ...and from there the water will pump up and flow out from the tupe..like waterfall..make sure the water flow out like waterfall then you will have them 90% live..

rgds
  • dtyr
    even if u can keep the tambans alive, once u hook them n cast out, they will die in a short while.. its beta that u keep them wrap up in a newspaper n leave it in the freezer... it'll save u trouble transportin them around oso....
  • T-Rex
    fishfishfish" said:

T-Rex,

why you worrying about baits?? Thought organiser will take care of that?? From my past experience, fish prefers live prawn in Jurong island more then tambans or milkfish. :roll: Then again, i may be wrong again. Good luck. :wink:

Regards.
    No lah, initially tot of getting some live fishes as I heard of their effectiveness and wanted to try it out personally and compare with live prawn. See which type of bait got better hook up rate. Also heard about some kaki here about the effectiveness of kelong sotong. So want to try all 3 types of bait maybe on 3 hook apollo and see which one will the fish go for.

Vaped : Just called Sincere yesterday, confirm no more stock till Wed at least.
  • hantu_pancing
    jus wondering, possible to jig for tamban at night for eg at b.j?