Casting for Rompin Sailfish

sharkbait
edited October 2014 in Jigging & Popping
Good day kakis,

I'm here to seek advise from all the popping sifu and master in this subforum. (First time here. Abit the nervous :greenoops: )

I have come to seek advise on "How to" cast for Rompin sailfish.

I will be heading to Rompin during end September period. And this is my second time doing sail-fishing. Last year was my first. So basically i only know general fishing for sail in Rompin (Baitfish+circle hook+balloon). But what i would really want to try is pop or cast for sailfishing.

So Sifu (master), please kindly advise on my set up!

ROD: MAJOR CRAFT GIANT KILLING BURI 7ft4 PE2-5
REEL: SHIMANO BIOMASTER SW 5K
LINE: YGK ULTRA JIGMAN PE4
LEADER: 70LB FC

Currently, I have a few 40g Pintails. I heard they are great for macks as well as sail fish.

As for Popper, what should i be looking for?

Lastly, What kind of retrieve or action i should be working on?

Thank you! Do fill me up if i missed out anything! Greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:
  • ckjh
    sharkbait" said:
    Good day kakis,

I'm here to seek advise from all the popping sifu and master in this subforum. (First time here. Abit the nervous :greenoops: )

I will be heading to Rompin during end September period. And this is my second time doing sail-fishing. Last year was my first. So basically i only know general fishing for sail in Rompin (Baitfish+circle hook+balloon). But what i would really want to try is pop or cast for sailfishing.

Currently, I have a few 40g Pintails. I heard they are great for macks as well as sail fish.

Thank you! Do fill me up if i missed out anything! Greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:
    Overall, the set up is sufficient for Sailfish fishing. Anything from pe 4 onwards are recommended. I feel that the pintails are a little too small. Try using tailwalks or maria loaded lures near 70g range. Poppers wise, ive got quite a Good experience popping for sails. Landed 3 sails on poppers with trebles. Consider the el toros at kaiser. To increase the hook up rate, try using single hook.
    Retrieve methods are all according to the lures you are using. But I tend to see sails attracted to fast retrieve lures.
    Hope this helps . Tight lines
  • sharkbait
    ckjh" said:
    [quote="sharkbait"]Good day kakis,

Overall, the set up is sufficient for Sailfish fishing. Anything from pe 4 onwards are recommended. I feel that the pintails are a little too small. Try using tailwalks or maria loaded lures near 70g range. Poppers wise, ive got quite a Good experience popping for sails. Landed 3 sails on poppers with trebles. Consider the el toros at kaiser. To increase the hook up rate, try using single hook.
    Retrieve methods are all according to the lures you are using. But I tend to see sails attracted to fast retrieve lures.
    Hope this helps . Tight lines[/quote]

Awesome! Thank you for your advise! Looks like i need to make a trip down to Kaiser soon! :-D

Single hook? I thought treble have higher rate of hook up?

As for color wise. I notice those big game popper always comes with funny color like pink, black and nemo color. What is the guideline for color?

Thank you sifu! :mrgreen:
  • Steve71
    Looking at your setup especially the rod rating, I doubt it can chug any popper over 40gm well. Unless it has a very small cup. Brand and colors don't make much of a difference in my experience. I have landed them on lures of different colors and make. Try the Halco poppers which are cheap and gets the job done if you don't want to spend on branded stuff.

Leave retrieve and cranking speed fluid. Try different speeds and see which gets the most results on the day. It also depends on the type of lures used. As for hooks, I stick to trebles for sailfish. Some anglers prefer singles. Singles if hooked properly have a lower chance of getting pulled compared to trebles. But its not easy to get a good hook up on a sail with its bony mouth and bill.

I have attached some pics for reference and you can see the lures are of different colors. The action you impart on the lure is more crucial than colors in my opinion. Cheers!

Steve

• sharkbait
    Wow! Great advise on popper! And pictures!(Wow x2) Thank you! =D>

I will stick to the current rod first. Once i progress further(poison deeper) then maybe i can consider upgrading my tackles :mrgreen:

Thank you sifus for great advise!
  • ckjh
    sharkbait" said:
    Wow! Great advise on popper! And pictures!(Wow x2) Thank you! =D>

I will stick to the current rod first. Once i progress further(poison deeper) then maybe i can consider upgrading my tackles :mrgreen:

Thank you sifus for great advise!
    Trust me. You will get poison once you get a fish on the line. Good luck and tight lines.
  • SportAngler
    Above bro have given their advise. Although I have trying to land a sail on popping but have not have any success yet. Only on live bait.
    But I feel that Bio 5k have too little line for PE4. Should be only 150m. Go for a bigger reel. IMO.
  • Lecundra
    Completely agree with ckjh. Maria loadeds and Tailwalk Gunz have good results on sailfish. So do Halco poppers as suggested by Steve. I prefer poppers personally.

Conventionally, Baker's Rigs are said to have the best hookup rates on sailfish. However, I've had good success on trebles. I see little improvements on Bakers. I have not tried using singles.

While it is true that sailfish tend to be attracted to fast-moving lures in general, I have had occasions that I needed to increase the length of the period of pauses for them to bite as they were hesitant. For sailfish popping, it is important to observe their feeding behavior on that day. Look out if they are following back, feeding in groups or if they are swimming in circles before going in for the kill and adjust accordingly.

One of the primary difficulties of sailfish popping is setting hook. Sailfishes tend to jump the moment the hook is on, often times dislodging the lure; usually my response is to simply keep the line and pray as there is no point setting the hook while it is airborne, not to mention extremely dangerous for yourself and your compatriots. Optimally of course, is when they take off the moment the hook is on, then you can proceed with the usual hooksetting techniques. If the lure dislodges, don't retrieve it back! Either pause or do a standard sweep/pop, usually their friends will go in for the loose lure.

Finally, I think a fully-spooled Shimano 5000 is fine as contact with the sailfish will not be as far as the usual balloon techniques, you should have sufficient lines to combat the sailfish.
  • Daniel :D
    Hey there, just asking, will a Shimano Biomaster C5000FB do alright for sailfish popping?
  • SportAngler
    Daniel :D" said:
    Hey there, just asking, will a Shimano Biomaster C5000FB do alright for sailfish popping?
    If this is your 1st trip, I will advise you to get a reel with higher line cap if you are using live baiting. No need expensive reel. A Penn will do the job.
    I was using a Bio 8K and PE6 popping rod and nearly run out of line think less then 20% line on the spool when this big sail was caught.

• Sugizo
    try el gaviota instead of el toro.
  • sharkbait
    Hello kakis!

I'm back from my rompin trip! Successfully landed my first sail by casting!

I made a lots of mistake for this virgin casting.

- Long leader make casting difficult
    - Non casting Line reduce distance. (jigging rod can cast even further :greenoops: )
    - Need to perfect FG knot (I will explain in awhile)
    - Buy popper! :greenlol:

https://scontent-a-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10665105_10152714260117487_8578079646721231758_n.jpg?oh=59cf3f9fdce3cadc6c05bc96dd8d42a1&oe=54B56CC8
    First sail on Zman rubber! Nope... I bring any popper at all

After landed my first sail fish, the boat man pass me a popper and ask me to try. It was like a yozuri hydro tiger(Non dumbbell type), the boat man forget what brand it was and it got so much battle scar the branding was scratch off! So i rig it up with split rig and a assist jigging hook at the rear.

So i pop for the first time!

I experiment on how to work the popper. I tried chugging and spitting. But i found out that the best action was the sliding dive. And indeed! A sail came up can "hoot" the popper! :shock:

I remember what the kaiser shop "brother" said. "Once the sail U-turn then you strike!"

The sail indeed took a u-turn and head for the open! The boat man saw what happen and shouted "Strike strike!" I point and gave it a firm strike.

HIT! *Zzzzrreeeeeet!* IT'S ON!!! My biomaster SW5k went crazy! And my giant killing was at it max! Hang on! But i fail to check my knot after the first sail.... piak! It's gone! :cry: Wasted! All due to beginner mistake like fail to check and tie a a tight knot!

Boat man went "Wah. Win liao lor. My popper also went with it..."

My first sail on popper was lost.. But next year i shall try again! No bait! Just popper! :greencool:

Thank you all for your advise! Keep casting! :mrgreen:
  • Lecundra
    Excellent work! I myself have not tried using rubbers for sails, nice to know they work as well.
  • ckjh
    Well done!!