[Question and Answers] Eging - ask/answer anything you want!

Andy Miyavizm Chan
edited July 2015 in Luring & Artificial
This will be the official Q&A thread for eging on FK.

Do ask about anything you wanna know in regards to Eging here and the community and I will try our best to answer you.

For starter tips, refer to Marko's thread here. And for tips selecting egi, download the Yamashita catalogue here.
  • Strider
    anything?

ok where would be the good sites in singapore to try shore eging?
  • Andy Miyavizm Chan
    Hi strider, secret spots are a rather sensitive issue.

However the generic spots will be Changi Boardwalk, Punggol Jetty, Bedok Jetty, Marina Bay Cruise Centre, Labrador Park and St John's Island.
  • roastroys
    Hi can you enlighten me whether colour of the jig affects the catch on certain time of the day? Example colours to use during dawn, bright day, dusk and night. Thank you...
  • Andy Miyavizm Chan
    The chart and legend below will act as a soft reference for the question you asked.

However there is a bigger and more detailed chart in the Yamashita catalog linked in the beginning of this thread, you can also refer to that.

Personally I find solid colors such as blue,red, purple and pink working well at night. For daytime its really up to the activity of the squid. Gold based will work well when the sun is rising or setting. Rainbow based is more of a cookie cutter.

All and all its back to that old saying, keep trying different colors till you hook something.

Moreover sometimes size does matter too, some squids are picky about sizes and only go for smaller egis (highly dependent on location). Then again I had hooked ups where the squid is smaller than the egi.

• roastroys
    Thanks for the info :)
  • Strider
    thanks too. i was wondering it was those places.
  • Xargin
    How to u remove the hooks after landing?
  • Andy Miyavizm Chan
    hi Xargin bro, just turn your egi upside down and twitch a little the squid will drop.

And no problem guys, feel free to keep the questions coming!
  • plasticOne
    Hi guys...I'm wondering is there any eging rod on the market with short butt like 6-8 inch from end of the butt to reel seat? & is it possible to use 4-8lb line class as eging rod?What are the pro & cons if using 4-8lb line class?

Txs for the views.
  • Andy Miyavizm Chan
    I think most eging rods comes with a shorter butt for better whipping, a good rod to recommend for a good price will be the Majorcraft Skyroad. 4-8lb line class rods are fine for eging. However do note that eging specialty rods are much longer, they usually come in 8ft and above to facilitate long casting range needed for eging. For the case of your rod, the pro will be that its light and sensitive, and depending on its length it may possibly be suitable for eging.
  • plasticOne
    Tx for the pointers...will look forward a suitable tools for the game.
  • Hedonist
    does any kaki know where i can get my hands on these Lucky Craft eging lures like those in the attached pic ?

• Markosanshutter
    Hedonist" said:

does any kaki know where i can get my hands on these Lucky Craft eging lures like those in the attached pic ?

plat.co.jp
  • smellymonster
    Hi. I am interested to take up eging. I am sourcing for a set up suitable for changi board walk n occasionally maybe at john. I see from all comment s majorcraft skyroad is v popular for eging rod.
    How abt reel? Must it be of 2 knobs?
    Looking at Daiwa EMERALDAS INF
    , shimano stradic ci4 2500 or sephia bb c3000s.

Budget abt 300-400 bucks
  • Markosanshutter
    smellymonster" said:
    Hi. I am interested to take up eging. I am sourcing for a set up suitable for changi board walk n occasionally maybe at john. I see from all comment s majorcraft skyroad is v popular for eging rod.

Budget abt 300-400 bucks
    hi bro... i suggest u can grab 8ft3 2 pcs PE 0.6-1.2 or lower.. Majorcraft got plenty of model for eging.. for starter, u can go any reel as long as it has a shallow spool.. daiwa 2506 or shimano 2500s.. get a pe line range PE o.6 or 0.8 is best for u.. pm me for more details..
  • smellymonster
    marko69" said:
    [quote="smellymonster"]Hi. I am interested to take up eging. I am sourcing for a set up suitable for changi board walk n occasionally maybe at john. I see from all comment s majorcraft skyroad is v popular for eging rod.

Budget abt 300-400 bucks
    hi bro... i suggest u can grab 8ft3 2 pcs PE 0.6-1.2 or lower.. Majorcraft got plenty of model for eging.. for starter, u can go any reel as long as it has a shallow spool.. daiwa 2506 or shimano 2500s.. get a pe line range PE o.6 or 0.8 is best for u.. pm me for more details..[/quote]

Hi Marko. thank you for ur advice.
    Still need help on the type of egi to use.
    I will check out with you soon. =)
  • LetsGoFish
    Hi i have a few questions hope you do not mind.
    1) Before casting out the egi , do we have to shine it with light ? If yes does normal light works or does it need some sort of UV light.

2) How do some people catch squid in board daylight?

3) If i would like to do some eging on boat how can i do it? Will it be different from eging on shore?
  • ckjh
    LetsGoFish" said:
    Hi i have a few questions hope you do not mind.
    1) Before casting out the egi , do we have to shine it with light ? If yes does normal light works or does it need some sort of UV light.

2) How do some people catch squid in board daylight?

3) If i would like to do some eging on boat how can i do it? Will it be different from eging on shore?
    Guess im able to answer most of the questions.
    1) You dont really have to shine any light on the jig, as for eging, the action is more important. (to trigger the attack). For night eging, I will always equip myself with those uv torch. Makes the jig glows nicely. You can purchase them fron tackle shops.

2) As ive mentioned. Working of the lure is important. Followed by the location you are fishing. Find places that have rocks and seaweeds. They tend to have higher chances to get a hit.

3) its almost impossible to sink a jig down fast enough if you are fishing from a boat with moderate current. What most will do, have your main line tied to a swivel, attach a sinker as well as a line about 1-1.5 m to your jig. Then you are able to get it down the the required depth. Another option will be doing the apollo method. But will be recommended for strong current. As they may tangle.

Good luck.
  • ChermiN
    edited September 2014
    Hi Kakis,

Does anyone know where i can get a Surecatch Inkvader other than Ubi?

TIA!

• Andy Miyavizm Chan
    Hey if im not wrong riverland has the blue one, but its better to call first.
  • ChermiN
    miyavizm" said:
    Hey if im not wrong riverland has the blue one, but its better to call first.
    Noted, thanks bro!
  • Markosanshutter
    ChermiN" said:
    [quote="miyavizm"]Hey if im not wrong riverland has the blue one, but its better to call first.
    Noted, thanks bro![/quote]
    this rod is a wrist killing machine! my advise, get Majorcraft Solpara... slightly higher price than this inkvader... its heavy bro... just my 2cents
  • spongejob
    Good thread on Eging. Slightly irrelevant here - but can the the Daiwa Emeraldas INF double up as a light-micro jigging reel - say paired with a Gomoku Erito. Technically, all reels can be used for jigging but seeking for more opinions/advices on this matter.

Appreciate your responses!

J
  • ChermiN
    marko69" said:
    [quote="ChermiN"][quote="miyavizm"]Hey if im not wrong riverland has the blue one, but its better to call first.
    Noted, thanks bro![/quote]
    this rod is a wrist killing machine! my advise, get Majorcraft Solpara... slightly higher price than this inkvader... its heavy bro... just my 2cents[/quote]

Thanks for the advise bro. Do you know the price differences?
  • Markosanshutter
    The diff is around 30-40 i guess... as i know this invader is around 60plus... solpara around 90++..
  • Andy Miyavizm Chan
    hi spongejob,

I will not suggest using the emeraldas for jigging. However there are people actually doing that in japan for light jigging game.

Still I will not suggest it. Its more viable to get a Soare, Stradic or Vanquish for jigging and use it for eging instead. (Do note that C3000 is the ideal size)
  • wildgoosechase
    Where can I get the minimaru in Singapore?
  • Hedonist
    hey bro, u can get it at Tackit Fishign Tackle Shop.

166 Woodlands Street 13, #01-541
    Singapore
  • cowking
    Hi, i am thinking of getting a MC Solpara SPS-782L/TR but i am not sure what kind of reel to pair it with. For spinning i only have a nasci 500hg, is it too light for eging?