Micro Jigging Rod (Advice Needed)

d & c
edited September 2015 in Jigging & Popping
Hi,

i'm looking for a rod mainly for mirco jigging using 10 to 20grms jigs....any good recommendation ?

TQ
  • SportAngler
    I am using a cheap Maguro rod. PE0.3-0.5.
    Good for micro up to 20gms.
    I am using the 4 kg rating. Will opt for the 3kg 1 as it have a better feel on smaller jigs.
  • Andrewmj
    Hi there ,

For micro jigging rods , i personally tried alot of rods but i will personally recommend the Eupro Alcohol PE0.4-1 and Senses Blue Heaven G2 Micro Violence PE 0.4-1.0 for budget micro jigging rods as i tried to jig from 10g - 40g of jig weight and both rods shared the same characteristics . Both rods have a sensitive feel and the rod tip action is towards faster action for flicking the jigs . They also still have a relatively strong backbone to hold those slightly bigger fishes if they happen to take your jigs :D

I have tried the Storm all those micro jigging rods and the Kaiser mini wee but however i feel that the tip is too soft to set for fish when they take your jigs . And i personally seen with my own eyes the 3 storm micro jigging rods broke in front of mi , not done by fishes but it broke while setting a fish which weigh ard 500g ?!?! :shock:

IMO , a micro jigging rods should give an angler a sensitive feel of detecting the bite , strong backbone to stop a fish (we dunno when the biggie will come) and fast action tip to flick the jigs and able to set the fish with a faster tip action ;)

I normally pair my rods with my trustworthy Stella 1000FE with PE0.8/200m of braided lines and 12lb FC Leader so far i manage to land most of the catches except for a unknown size Ebek that took all my lines in 10secs in Pekan LOL ! :lol:

This is just my 2cents of knowledge , do correct me if im wrong ! :)
  • Strider
    valleyhill oceantrail is my go to micro rod. hehe

i like it. sensitive and can go heavier weights. strong backbone.
  • fishyfutures
    Expert Graphite Butterfly PE 0.6-1 jig max 40g. $115 at Changi Pro. Really good rod. Highly recommended.
  • Devilzken
    Andrewmj" said:
    Hi there ,

For micro jigging rods , i personally tried alot of rods but i will personally recommend the Eupro Alcohol PE0.4-1 and Senses Blue Heaven G2 Micro Violence PE 0.4-1.0 for budget micro jigging rods as i tried to jig from 10g - 40g of jig weight and both rods shared the same characteristics . Both rods have a sensitive feel and the rod tip action is towards faster action for flicking the jigs . They also still have a relatively strong backbone to hold those slightly bigger fishes if they happen to take your jigs :D

I have tried the Storm all those micro jigging rods and the Kaiser mini wee but however i feel that the tip is too soft to set for fish when they take your jigs . And i personally seen with my own eyes the 3 storm micro jigging rods broke in front of mi , not done by fishes but it broke while setting a fish which weigh ard 500g ?!?! :shock:

IMO , a micro jigging rods should give an angler a sensitive feel of detecting the bite , strong backbone to stop a fish (we dunno when the biggie will come) and fast action tip to flick the jigs and able to set the fish with a faster tip action ;)

I normally pair my rods with my trustworthy Stella 1000FE with PE0.8/200m of braided lines and 12lb FC Leader so far i manage to land most of the catches except for a unknown size Ebek that took all my lines in 10secs in Pekan LOL ! :lol:

I been using storm micro jigging rod doesn't have the same prob mayb is the way the anglers fight the fish ba
  • poorfisherman
    For micro jigging, is it define by the profile or by the jig weight?
  • Andrewmj
    Devilzken" said:
    [quote="Andrewmj"]Hi there ,

I been using storm micro jigging rod doesn't have the same prob mayb is the way the anglers fight the fish ba[/quote]

Yup maybe it's just anglers LOL ! :lol:
  • Andrewmj
    poorfisherman" said:
    For micro jigging, is it define by the profile or by the jig weight?
    Both ;)
  • Devilzken
    Line profile also play a part
  • poorfisherman
    Andrewmj" said:
    [quote="poorfisherman"]For micro jigging, is it define by the profile or by the jig weight?
    Both ;)[/quote]

Thanks, but by comparing the soare 30g jig and the normal 30+g jig, one of them, the profile is so small where the other is much bigger. it make me wonder if the normal <30g jig still consider micro, or maybe it is better know as light jig?
  • Andrewmj
    poorfisherman" said:
    [quote="Andrewmj"][quote="poorfisherman"]For micro jigging, is it define by the profile or by the jig weight?
    Both ;)[/quote]

Thanks, but by comparing the soare 30g jig and the normal 30+g jig, one of them, the profile is so small where the other is much bigger. it make me wonder if the normal <30g jig still consider micro, or maybe it is better know as light jig?[/quote]

Actually nowadays there is no proper define of micro or light jigs already IMO ;)
    The soare is made so small is due to the material is Tungsten instead of lead and Tungsten is much more density compared to lead so they are made smaller in size instead of lead fish ;)
  • Rapala VMC - Fred
    Just to share with you guys about the definition. Micro jigging - this term is started by some low profile angler many years ago and we can say it is proudly from our little red dot. As a general guide used by many right now, 30g and below - micro jigging and above that is considered light jigging.

Definition is not really based on profile as mentioned some jigs are made of Tungsten and hence the smaller profile and some are made of zinc and hence bigger profile. :D
  • a boy learns to fish
    i have a micro jigging rod pe 0.4-1 max jig 35g. is it okay if i use it for a way bigger jig and apply in a slower manner. as u know slowpitch jigging is now the jigging hype, all my friends are now using slowpitch set, but i have a budget issue and cant afford to buy a new set. so is it okay to use the rod for heavier jigs?
  • Strider
    Umm if the jigs are much heavier, not too good for rod tip. Most slow jigs to have effect in spore is 130 to 230 g already becos the jig needs to remain verticle.

I wud suggest considering tenya (not too heavy frm ur max jig wt) to ur micro rod instead.

Of course if ur rod is an evergreen, its understated, by all means.
  • somethingfishytoo
    Just to share with you guys about the definition. Micro jigging - this term is started by some low profile angler many years ago and we can say it is proudly from our little red dot. As a general guide used by many right now, 30g and below - micro jigging and above that is considered light jigging.

Definition is not really based on profile as mentioned some jigs are made of Tungsten and hence the smaller profile and some are made of zinc and hence bigger profile. :D
    Hi Fred I bought a storm Micro jigger but is a BC model. I tried to flick the rod with fast action but I find it very difficult but when I use a spinning rod it becomes more cordinated n smooth. I can flick very fast but with the BC i cannot find the synchronisation no matter how hard I practised. Is  spinning a more preferred way for the fast vertical jigging. 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    What BC were you using and what line were you using with the BC.

What Spinning were you using and what line were you using with the Spinning Reel?

You will notice with BC you use less of your wrist when you start, with Spinning it naturally allows your wrist to flick

@somethingfishytoo

• somethingfishytoo
    What BC were you using and what line were you using with the BC.

What Spinning were you using and what line were you using with the Spinning Reel?

You will notice with BC you use less of your wrist when you start, with Spinning it naturally allows your wrist to flick

@somethingfishytoo

Hi Luke,
    BC storm micro Jigger rod. Reel Daiwa Tatula R, Braid YGK Jigman X8 , jig 28gram
    Spinning rod Blue heaven G2 micro violence PE0.4-1.0, Reel Stella 2500HG, Braid YGK  jigman X8 pe 1.0, jig 28gram
  • Michael Lim
    Do also remember that a BC needs some weight and inertia to pull line off the spool.  So going micro sizes will be a tough thing to get the jig down to the depths.  This is why micro jigging and even Tenya is designed to be used with spinning setups for a low friction line payout.