Advice for Maldives

sibeisian
edited May 2015 in Jigging & Popping
Planning a trip to Maldives for some popping and jigging in 2015. Have never been there nor on a popping trip b4. Can check with the veteran kakis here some info on Maldives?
a. What are some of recommended periods to go?
b. What kind of gear should be brought? (I have light popping and jigging setups-PE3 currently and planning to get some heavier ones)
c. Which is more advisable - LOB or sportfisher? (Have seen cr on both type of charter that are good)
d. Whats e est. total cost for the trip?

Thanks in advance for everyone advice!
  • chelsea
    lob or sportfisher actually both are good depends on which atolls you go
  • infinityex
    sibeisian" said:
    Planning a trip to Maldives for some popping and jigging in 2015. Have never been there nor on a popping trip b4. Can check with the veteran kakis here some info on Maldives?
    b. What kind of gear should be brought? (I have light popping and jigging setups-PE3 currently and planning to get some heavier ones)
    c. Which is more advisable - LOB or sportfisher? (Have seen cr on both type of charter that are good)

Thanks in advance for everyone advice!
    Monsoon is the June/July period, usually people go between Nov - Feb/March?

Popping PE 6-8 would be good, the fish are not small (but very big also not common).
    Light jigging PE 1-3 is ok.
    For heavy jigging (~150g up) probably max you need is PE4?

Sportfisher for intensive popping, LOB is very shiok. They have combis available also, for eg. you stay on the LOB and take the sportfisher out for day trips.

For LOB + air ticket probably 2k plus minus...
  • TongYang1103
    Been there 3 times, 2006, 2008 & 2009. Thing is, the big bruisers are there BUT the smaller fish (3-12kg)range will get to your presentation faster than you can say FishingKaki.
    I always opt for PE3 anytime. But get a PE5 or 6 if you don't feel comfortable with your present armaments. PE5/6 still very sellable after a couple of trips as opposed to PE8 tackle which wont work well for Maldivian waters. PE5 can still do well for 30kg GT anytime.

The best times are Nov thru to March.
    Depending on the number of people, 6-7 LOB can be about sgd3 to 3.5k all inclusive airticket.

After April to June, the waters may be too calm for good popping/fishing.

For that place, waterlines and choppy breakers are the best bet for fish variety. In between reefs can offer big fish, and the indications are fleeing bait fish(banana fish) or other small fish will signal presence of predators.