Ma-Prawn

Luke Maow Bear
edited September 2014 in Jigging & Popping
:^o

I was on a trip yesterday and I must have been out of it for awhile but it seems the age of 2 things have arrived. The Ma-Prawn and the Slow Fall.

I stopped the Madai fishing about 6 months ago but had fun doing it yesterday. However the new (or not so new) thing is attaching a Live Prawn to the Madai, hence the Ma-Prawn, lol.

I have nothing against it, in fact the opposite as it seems the age of the Madai seems pointless as a few of the guys did really cutting age stuff, simply switched the Madai for a Sinker and rigged the prawn closer. Cutting edge? Evolution I call it by eliminating the redundancy of the Madai, or is it?

Is it effective? Hell yes it is. Huge things were landed. But then do we need the Madai as mentioned, yep, actually it makes a difference as the combo of the Madai + Live Prawn is deadly.

Remember we are there to catch fish and you are welcome to do it anyway you want.

One thing I was thought is, you don't need a Madai Rod to be awesome and you don't need to custom stuff to be man of the match.

Fish as you wish, and it it putting a prawn to your Madai.

Tight lines
  • cowking
    Hello LMB,

Can you do a tutorial on how to do madai jigging? Like color type and technique, I'm new to madai/ma-prawn and it seems so effective that I am heading into that direction since my jigging rod is able to handle the weight. I've seen people jig it slowly up and down, leaving it there to drift, just not sure when to do what.

You were saying it is even effective to put a prawn near to the sinker and rig it like ma-prawn?

I believe many anglers out there would benefit from this information.
  • Michael Lim
    It's just a normal madai jig baited with a whole live prawn or sometimes half a live prawn.

Personally, I rig a madai directly under a leader of about 2 feet long. If you are a purist, you'll leave it unbaited. But sometimes, adding a bait does pull in the bites faster esp on a slow day.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    cowking" said:
    Hello LMB,

Can you do a tutorial on how to do madai jigging? Like color type and technique, I'm new to madai/ma-prawn and it seems so effective that I am heading into that direction since my jigging rod is able to handle the weight. I've seen people jig it slowly up and down, leaving it there to drift, just not sure when to do what.

You were saying it is even effective to put a prawn near to the sinker and rig it like ma-prawn?

If you are in Japan. They Jig the Madai up fast in sweeping motions.

In Singapore we bounce on the drift, knocking the rocks as we go along. This opens up to many Madai's being lost.

The Madai Rod is generally longer with a strong butt and mid. The tip is extremely whippy to impart what limited action it can on the 100/120/150/200 Gram Madai. The bonus reason for us here in Singapore is you can feel what the Madai is doing and react to rocks faster - this is further enhanced by using an overhead reel. It is said that the overhead is more sensitive than the spinning due to the bail arm "slack" over the bail arm roller. The overhead is more direct as it goes directly to the spool. Madai Rod = Overhead. BUT that's just a guide, you can use whatever you want.

I use a 10lb line with 30 to 40 lb leader. I do about 1.5M of leader.

What you saw was right. Lift up slowly and drop it down, bounce along and learn to feel the way the seabed is tracking. It can go from rocks to sand and channel to flats. When you feel rocks lift it, don't leave it on the drift in the rod holder.

The Madai technique is now added with a Prawn at the end - my comment to that is you paid for your boat trip do what you want.

I will write something more soon. This is a rough idea.
  • cowking
    Luke Maow Bear" said:
    [quote="cowking"]Hello LMB,

If you are in Japan. They Jig the Madai up fast in sweeping motions.

In Singapore we bounce on the drift, knocking the rocks as we go along. This opens up to many Madai's being lost.

The Madai Rod is generally longer with a strong butt and mid. The tip is extremely whippy to impart what limited action it can on the 100/120/150/200 Gram Madai. The bonus reason for us here in Singapore is you can feel what the Madai is doing and react to rocks faster - this is further enhanced by using an overhead reel. It is said that the overhead is more sensitive than the spinning due to the bail arm "slack" over the bail arm roller. The overhead is more direct as it goes directly to the spool. Madai Rod = Overhead. BUT that's just a guide, you can use whatever you want.

I use a 10lb line with 30 to 40 lb leader. I do about 1.5M of leader.

What you saw was right. Lift up slowly and drop it down, bounce along and learn to feel the way the seabed is tracking. It can go from rocks to sand and channel to flats. When you feel rocks lift it, don't leave it on the drift in the rod holder.

The Madai technique is now added with a Prawn at the end - my comment to that is you paid for your boat trip do what you want.

I will write something more soon. This is a rough idea.[/quote]

Ma-prawn is definitely interesting. I might want to try for awhile without the prawn to see the difference with a prawn. Thank you for the brief idea, at least i know now what would be the right way to do it.
  • Icebomb
    Ma-Prawn is definitely effective but it limits the species you catch.

It also means you do not pick up good practices usually used in purist madai fishing. You also somewhat "lose out" in the passion and skills along the way...

My advise is that use ma prawn if you have already madai-ed for a long time and want faster results.... if you just go straight to ma prawn, you'll be more of baiting and waiting, sensing nibbles intead of really bouncing and being in tune with ur madai....

If u wanna cut cost of madai. just get an extra large hong kong hook... it's the same really
  • cowking
    Icebomb" said:
    Ma-Prawn is definitely effective but it limits the species you catch.

It also means you do not pick up good practices usually used in purist madai fishing. You also somewhat "lose out" in the passion and skills along the way...

My advise is that use ma prawn if you have already madai-ed for a long time and want faster results.... if you just go straight to ma prawn, you'll be more of baiting and waiting, sensing nibbles intead of really bouncing and being in tune with ur madai....

If u wanna cut cost of madai. just get an extra large hong kong hook... it's the same really
    How heavy Hong Kong hook? So use Hong Kong hook to replace Madai and bounce it up and down works too?

I am actually more interest to get a catch on pure Madai first, the satisfaction of doing it baitless. hahahaha
  • Icebomb
    madai is really getting the bait straight to the hole of the fish.... same as hk hook in that sense.... just that conventional hk hooks are never 150g or 120g or 200g... ha ha....

Madai can also be jigged at a medium speed with short intervals or long strokes to imitate squid darting across water columns. I had a huge GT follow my madai all the way up to the surface once and jumped out of the water to hit it as I reeled the madai back....

if u want to maximize ur jig time when drifting, hit the bottom with the madai, lets say captain change spot or u wanna get ur madai up, jig it up at medium speed and some pelagics might just follow ur madai!!! We ever got sailfish on madai, queenfish on madai, ebeks on madai.... just today, jimmy from punggol marina hit belt fishes on madai...... the possibilities of pure madai are endless compared to putting a prawn.... ;)
  • azariel
    just from my personal observation. maybe i happen to have been lucky to observe all these rare instances, or maybe its a matter of pure probabilities (as i've been on this one particular charter that practices ma-prawn countless times)....

but i've seen large marine catfish, giant trevally (small ones la...3kg?), golden trevally, queenfish, barracuda, mangrove jacks, spanish flags, parrot fish, deep sea kim (gold colour) and even sotong landed on ma-prawns lol. yes ma-prawn not madai. thats just about what you get at southern waters anyway. so i dont think its true that you're limited when you add on a prawn to the hook. maybe you increase the incidence of you getting the humble grouper. but it certainly doesnt restrict you.

and it really depends what you're out there for i guess. if you want to bring back fish to eat. and are really lusting for some freshly steamed grouper. by all means add the damned prawn!

or if you are like me. i like to take out new japanese jigs or techniques to try. so i'll try in a corner of the boat. if i get a hit, i'll be beaming away and espousing the wonders of such great technology. if i dont, i'll keep doing it quietly (though silently grumbling) until i get sleepy, then i'll change it to a madai and half-sleep/half-madai. if got prawns i'll hook the damn thing on. a hit is better than none in my book. esp when its hot.

or if you're very principled and believe really in some techniques. good for you! i think in the long run is a good thing. we have fishos who are very well versed and/or specialized in particular methods and can share the knowledge with the fishing community at large. everyone benefits. :)

so at the end of this lengthy post...i think it still boils down to do what you want la. got prawn or no prawn...there are more important principles (such as sustainable fishing) to fight over.
  • tanwyb
    Madai fishing has come a really long way. Besides prawns, some people also attach one of the 2 hooks with what they call soft plastics in australia. I think its referred to as rubber in Singapore context. Its one of those Berkley gulp silicone things. To go even further, some people even spray "scents" / fish attractants on their madai skirts.

Was it effective? Well, not on that day, comparing normal ma-prawn and multi pattern users.