How to remove corrosion in the spool

pegasus001
edited November 2013 in General Fishing
Hi, Guys,
I need your advise on how to remove corrosion on the spinning spool. as I got a twin power 2000 reel but the spool got corrosion, anyway to minimize the corrosion? Or can I use fine sandpaper to sand off the corrosion part?
Million thanks of help....
  • anglersaddict
    not advisable to use sandpaper on the spool, as most spools (if not all) have additional layer of anodizing (which makes it more corrosion resistant, but not totally fool-proof)...you may end up removing the protective layer more than anything
  • pegasus001
    Thanks for the advise, but any recommendation on treatment on the corrosion?
  • Michael Lim
    pegasus001" said:
    Thanks for the advise, but any recommendation on treatment on the corrosion?
    Apply with reel-x or corrosion-x. Let it sit to prevent future rust before you tape down and wind line on.
  • snapperBB
    This is not to treat corrosion but to maybe prevent corrosion. I was told by an experienced angler to de-spool the line after each salt water trip and before re-spooling, apply reel x or similar to give the extra layer of protection. Even for freshwater, if you are not using the reel for a few months, de-spool the line.

Soak the line with the line spool (you can drill a few holes in the plastic line spool for more outlets) in warm water for 20min, air dry and keep.

I know the pain of corrosion and nowadays, I try my best to de-spool after each SW trip.

Just my 2 cents.
  • anglersaddict
    yes to be absolutely safe, the only solution is to strip the line after every trip, and wash the spool...

you may treat corroded spot with corrosion x, after that seal it with clear nail polish so that the corrosion doesn't spread :)
  • Strider
    yup. if use braided, pls despool. it really sucks to see the corrosion and for it to cut the line.

not easy.

a cheap way is nail polish, wax to cover.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    I think everyone has better suggestions as I do, but this is what I did. I took hobby grade sandpaper which is extremely fine almost like normal paper and put singer oil on it. Slowly in the direction that the line comes out sandpaper it down. Then I took an even finer sandpaper with more singer oil to finish it off.

Washed it and done. Never had any issues.

But, I don't advise doing this.
  • nuvole
    Sanding will only take away more protective coating from the spool.
    Any sort of paint/wax/nail polish coating are just very temporary.

If you are seriously looking for long term solution, anodising or chromate conversion process(can't get the chemical in sg) are the only way to go.

Despool and washing after each saltwater may be troublesome, but its the only way to extend the lifespan of the reel. Also, leave out the reel pouch when you pack away your reel, especially if they are splash with saltwater.
  • dingo35
    Get a bottle of clear nail polish and apply a thin coat. Let it dry b4 spooling. I have done that and my saltiga spool remain corrosion free for the past 7 yrs.
  • pegasus001
    Thanks guy for your great advise. I really learn from you all.

Cheers
  • Brandon_Chan
    I think everyone has better suggestions as I do, but this is what I did. I took hobby grade sandpaper which is extremely fine almost like normal paper and put singer oil on it. Slowly in the direction that the line comes out sandpaper it down. Then I took an even finer sandpaper with more singer oil to finish it off.

Washed it and done. Never had any issues.

But, I don't advise doing this.
    ​Did you use the reel for saltwater ,is there a layer of anodized Aluminum you removed?(or is the spool aluminum?)and did you apply a coating to the treated area?