Light to Medium Popping Rod Recommendations for Novice

Ailerone
edited April 2014 in Jigging & Popping
Hi guys

I'm new to popping, mostly used to jigging offshore.
I'm looking for a light to medium popping rod for targeting GTs of about 5-15kg range. Any recommendations for rods?
I think I might be pairing with a Twinpower SW 6k.
  • Andrewmj
    Ailerone" said:
    Hi guys

I'm new to popping, mostly used to jigging offshore.
    I'm looking for a light to medium popping rod for targeting GTs of about 5-15kg range. Any recommendations for rods?
    I think I might be pairing with a Twinpower SW 6k.
    Hi Bro , can i know what's yr budget?
    :D
  • Ailerone
    Hi bro, thanks for replying. I'm looking at a budget of about $1500 for rod, reel and line.. Currently my friends recommend me to get Kaiser Lightcast 73H with Twinpower SW 6000.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Ailerone" said:
    Hi bro, thanks for replying. I'm looking at a budget of about $1500 for rod, reel and line.. Currently my friends recommend me to get Kaiser Lightcast 73H with Twinpower SW 6000.
    Or the Temple Reef Stealth HH. Andrew will walk you through the Carpenters. I will throw an Ultimo Ripple PE6 into the mix; the Kaiser Lightcast I have never tested so I would not know, however their rods have been proven time and time again to be light, strong and easy to cast.

You are looking to get a Twin Power, which opens up the budget for your Rod.
  • Ailerone
    Thanks for the recommendations. Where can I take a look at the Ultimo Ripple PE6? Is it too heavy for a beginner into popping? $1500 - $650 for Twinpower, I'm left with $850 for rod & line.
  • Boardbill
    Bro a shimano 6k reel is only good for pe3 to 4 popping avg lone cap about 200m.
    To match it with a pe6 rod might not be a wise choice.

6k reel are good for pe2 to 4 popping rod 40lbs line casting weight avg 60 to 80g

With your budget I would suggest u get a bigger 12k twinpower and kaiser el toro 100
    This set up goes a long way for popping rather then restrict your self to 40lbs line..
    Its still within your budget. .

Further more popping on a moving and drifting boat are two different thing.

Moving boat u need speed to work the lure and i personally find 6k HG is a bit slow for the job
    Reason due to the great casting distance u toss light popper in good condition and lesser line in spool means the retrieval rate slow down.

Drifting boat on the other hand no rush.. just toss and work like luring. Not much speed required.

Also light popping are at the mercy of the wind. If the wind picks up. U will find it harder to cast. But for heavier popper there's less issue with the wind.

If u are planning a light popping rod for toman, sail and pond usage. 6K is good enough.

But if u have plans to venture further, with your budget u can spend on gears that has more usage.

Spend some time casting different set up and rod.

Have fun discovering what suits u.
  • Ailerone
    Thanks bro for your detailed ecplanation, I appreciate it a lot. As a beginner, I'm thinking of going to Rompin areas to gain some experience first before venturing further for monster GTs. Will the Twinpower 12k and El Toro 100 be overkill?
  • Boardbill
    Bro thats a very good question. .. I dont quite understand the meaning of overkill in popping.
    Its the location, ground and structure that determine the fishing requirement.

Looking at the GTs landed at pekan and rompin theres baby on heavy sinking minnows avg 3 to 5kg to biggies on heavy pop sticks.

And the ground there not a lot of boomy. . The chance of landing a biggie on light tackle are higher then other locations.

GTs are excellent fighters but same apply to all good fighting fishes.. prolong fight will minimise the release survival rate.

All reefs have their very own alpha female to reproduce the later generation.
    Targeting monster GT on light tackle increase the chance of bust off which may or may not effect the eco system of the reef.

Using lighter then normal gear to target monster GTs at common monster GTs area are very damaging to the eco system. If u bust the alpha GT, the survival of the fish is unknown.

But always remember the next trip after u maybe fishing the same area. Their chance of landing a good fish are minimize. In time to come that place wont last 3 seasons.

I for once dont like using too light tackle to target big GT ground.
    Cause u will never know the size of the next fish eyeing your popper.

Pe6 is a good start for all popping. Great range lures to choose.. from 60g to 110g.
    Greater range of lures uses will increases your lure presentation. Works well when GT on biting or following lure.

Hope some Rompin Guru would input on this matter as this is only my personal point of view.
  • Ailerone
    Thanks bro for your detailed guidance, A Twinpower 12000 costs about $770, so I'm left with about $730 for rod &line. Any good recommendation for rod & line within the price range?
  • Lecundra
    Pekan (and to some extent, Rompin) are tricky places to pop, there's a very real chance of biggies, though in general the GTs are not too big.

The Lightcast 73H used to be my go-to rod for Pekan and it is a very good rod, I have used it to pop up to 80g poppers with ease, but I would say if you encounter a GT of more than 10kg in a relatively shallow area (<12m), you run a very big risk of losing the fish. Nowadays, I prefer to bring my DJ83MH (PE 6-10) to Pekan.

I think the El Toro 100, as someone suggested, is a good rod. Kaiser rods have a very good track record.
  • stanwick
    el toro 100 with twpower 12k would cost you less than $1300...
    you still have another 200 for your line..
    go to the shop and have a try
  • Andrewmj
    Ailerone" said:
    Thanks bro for your detailed guidance, A Twinpower 12000 costs about $770, so I'm left with about $730 for rod &line. Any good recommendation for rod & line within the price range?
    Shimano Twinpower 12000 & Diawa Catalina Mag Sealed 5000H are good and versatile popping reels ;) As for the rods i would recommend beginner to get yourself a setup that u can cast whole day with a softer tip that is much manageable from casting and fighting a fish and not tiring out the angler :D

Some of the rods that meets your budget will be Yamaga BlueReef GT 710/8 , Zenaq FC80-5 Duro Trevally , Hot's Gipang & Smith WRC-80P/35 . IMO these rods are good manageable popping rods in terms of castings and fighting a fish that suits a newbie ;)

As for lines , i will recommend you to choose 65lbs among Powerpro , Tuffline and Spiderwire Invisbraid due to thicker in diameter to reduce on clearing wind knots and not losing out too much on your casting distance ;)

With such a setup i believe you can use it for most of the places of popping . Juz remember never give up and keep casting !!
  • OnateO
    Hi, would smith gtk 7'0 j&p match a shimano 5000 size reel? Intend to use for sailfish and tenggiri in rompin.
    How much line cap would I need and what poundage should I get?
    Any advise would be appreciated.
  • ckjh
    OnateO" said:
    Hi, would smith gtk 7'0 j&p match a shimano 5000 size reel? Intend to use for sailfish and tenggiri in rompin.
    pe 2 will be good. But i strongly discourage you to use this set up for Sailfish. As we know the tackle is kinda light for the fish, im afraid that you will eventually kill the sailfish and making C&R impossible.
  • Strider
    OnateO" said:
    its more than enough for tengirri. pe 3 to 5 line shod be good with 250 to 300 m all good.
    sailfish, well depends i guess. its possible but will be fighting for a while.
  • Lecundra
    OnateO" said:
    Honestly I think the Smith GTK 7' is slightly overkill (it's PE5 if I remember correctly) even for sailfish. PE 2-4 is max I would go for, you can land a sailfish pretty fast, plus it can handle 40-60g poppers comfortably. PE 2-3 is also manageable, but anything lower would pose a relatively high risk of killing the sailfish unless the boatman switch on engine or if it's a small one.

but if you are keen to stick with the Smith, then go for 6k. With a 5k, if you use PE4 or more, you will have less than 160m of lines. If you use lower than PE3 lines, your rod won't be sufficiently loaded, which is pretty stupid. Unless you are planning to splurge on expensive lines.

Personally, I use two different setups for fishing sail (Kaiser Lightcast + 6000HG) and fishing tengirri (Bassterra 20lb + 3000XG) as tengirris are not strong fishes, nor do they really grow very big in Rompin/Pekan.
  • Strider
    yup smith is pe 5.

it can take on gt over 10kg maybe up to 20kg although i have never experienced it. my max was 9 kg gangster gt that fought like it was much bigger on that rod.

smith can certainly be used for sailfish but 5000 size reel is the issue in pairing and hence the suggestion. i use a 6000 but even 8000 can be used.

i prefer a overhead setup for sailfish tho but its personal preference in order to control the fish.

for tengirri, spinning is the way due to the speed. i am even using kaiser versa pitch for it. i think even the ebek delight can handle with much fun. we were even using versa pitch on sailfish in rompin.

its just that u got to watch tiring out the fish and having enough line.

go for what works for u.
  • Bwky
    Hi

maybe i can throw in my few cents worth.

setup for tengirri and setup for sail are quite different for me. for tengirri i have a setup that consist of pe2 casting rod with 4000xg reel and 15lb powerpro 8 slick. good for lures till 50g.

setup for sail is definitely heavier, i am using a zerek temptress pe 3-4 with 8k reel (old 8k size are smaller than the current shimano 8-12k bodies). able to use eltoro chugger 60g with hooks or even 80g stickbait. 8k gives you just nice 300m of pe4 which is both powerful and enough linecap to ensure the fish comes in quickly. this setup has also landed me gt slightly under 10kg around pekan area without any problems.
  • jigster88
    Was surfing the net looking for new popping forums and came across this thread, I realize you probably got your rod seeing as the post is a couple of years old - your possibly looking for an upgrade now? 

I have a couple of the new Hamachi XOS GT'n'Doggie rods 8'2 3 piece with lifetime warranty (gave me the peace of mind to try 3 pc) - the PE3 to 5 and PE8-13      www.HamachiTackle.jp
    I have been blown away with both of them, but particularly how seamless the curve is in the PE8-13 Im running with 100lb braid most of the time occasionally 130lb if the distance is required as much as dragging VW GT's from the back of surf breaks. 

As far as using 3 piece rods for heavy duty fishing, Im sold, easy as for travel (no more smash rods by budget airlines which you inevitably have to take as a transfer somewhere along the line going to best GT spots as they are always off the beaten track) plenty of power in them , i was hesitant as i have been fishing for a long time and have memories of huge flat spots in jointed rods , if you stand back and check out the curves on these you would think they were one piece