Fishing in Wellington, New Zealand CR

Melvyn
edited June 2005 in Catch Reports
I have decided to post my 1st proper CR since joining FK in early 2003.

• Melvin Lee
    Good Catch. These KahWai are the Best BAITs for AmberJacks. And these you caught are the best bait size.

The eating sensation isn't fantastic thou.
  • Melvyn
    Day of Operation - 270504

Equipment used:
    Berkeley Safari series 8ft, Shimano Symetre 4000, 14lb fireline
    J.Walker Integra Silver III 5ft 9", J.Walker IS2000 with 8lb mono

Tactic:
    For 8ft - Bottom feeder long snood single hook, 1/0 Mustad with size 1 "torpedo" sinker

For 5ft 9" - "BJT Jepun" tamban hooks

Bait: Chicken heart and Souther Island Pilchards!

So last weekend was good stuff, weather was good today and we decided to go again...same procedure, went to get beer, food and pilchards at PaknSave. This time i brought them to spot 'Y' as spot 'X' seems quiet and i couldnt be bothered wetting a line there. So took out my 8ft and 5ft 9" and started fishing...both of them sharing the smaller rod and i was fishing for whatever was out there. My friends started landing small fishes in rapid succession. And me? no bite leh...Suddenly big take and my 4000 screamed...but suddenly stopped...basket...reel back and check...bloody barracouta. :roll: took out with my bait and sliced my rig clean...50lb sufix synergy cut...so took out another and rigged up again...this time with a smaller bait and with renewed hope...cast roughly back into the same spot abt 30m out...light ciggie and wait...suddenly heard the reel scream...but not my reel, my smaller reel screamed...apparently a biggie took my friend's line...he was stunned and looking at me...immediately i jumped to his side, grabbed the reel and tightened the drag...damn bloody fish was still going...tot it was a trevally or ray as my spool was maxed with 245yds of 8lb mono and i could already see half the line was gone...damn stunned and shocked...was praying that it will stop and promptly it did...decided to slowly pump and pull it back...luckily it was moving back towards me...by this time i have already been fighting it for 15+ mins...when it decided that it rested enough and took off again...taking out even more line than it previously did! OMG! now i could see the interior of my reel...i decided that it was better to lock full drag and burst off rather than losing off all my line...which i did and thank goodness it stopped with out bursting and i released some drag and started pumping and reeling...by the time it was by the side...couldnt haul up as it was 8lb mono, so my fren went down to boga it up...when it was up, boga was pulled to 9lbs and the fish was hooked on the tail only by the last hook!

total fight time was 30mins, bringing up time took 10mins as we were trying to steer it clear of obstacles in the water and it wasnt very cooperative...feeling shagged out and sky getting dark, we decided to pack up. When in the car, i asked my fren what actually happened...he told me he hooked the innards of a fish on the first hook and was playing around when suddenly a black shadow came from below and took off...he struck and set the hook with the reel screaming...totally unbelievable stuff with me repeatedly telling him please dont try such stunts anymore cuz really very shag...

• Melvyn
    Melvin Lee" said:
    Good Catch. These KahWai are the Best BAITs for AmberJacks. And these you caught are the best bait size.

The eating sensation isn't fantastic thou.

True but me no interest in amberjacks... :lol: i rather go after kingfish anyday...went to a spot last week...got stripped off totally...245yds of 50lb mono... :shock:
  • Melvyn
    this fish if properly bled, gutted and cooked correctly will taste good...

if the pacific islanders and maori say its good....chances are its good

for the record...all fishes were steamed teochew style...12 people ate and fingers licking good... :lol:
  • sk8
    Hi Double0,

Fantastic catches and it's great to see that you are enjoying the fishing in Wellington. Hopefully the fish will still be around this weekend....

Too bad our last session together ended in kosong. :)

My favourite recipe for kahawai is to smoke them. Split the fish, sprinkle heavily with salt, rinse after 30mins, dry completely with paper towels, add some herbs (oregano, dill, etc.), marinate with maple syrup or teriyaki sauce, 30mins in the smoker. Divine!

You are absolutely right about cleaning kahawai properly, and should be done immediately upon capture. I also prefer cleaning in seawater before I bring them home.

Hope to see more of you catches.

Cheers.
  • Melvyn
    sk8" said:
    Hi Double0,

Fantastic catches and it's great to see that you are enjoying the fishing in Wellington. Hopefully the fish will still be around this weekend....

Too bad our last session together ended in kosong. :)

My favourite recipe for kahawai is to smoke them. Split the fish, sprinkle heavily with salt, rinse after 30mins, dry completely with paper towels, add some herbs (oregano, dill, etc.), marinate with maple syrup or teriyaki sauce, 30mins in the smoker. Divine!

You are absolutely right about cleaning kahawai properly, and should be done immediately upon capture. I also prefer cleaning in seawater before I bring them home.

Hope to see more of you catches.

Cheers.
    bro my catches are chicken feet if compared to urs...so when u going boat fishing again? I went 2 weeks in a row as feeling very stressed as rushing to finish my assignments. Exams next week only :D very soon will be liberated :lol: itching for some big game action leh... :smt027
  • sk8
    To be honest DoubleO, my biggest kahawai has never reached 9lbs, and the NZ average is around 4lbs. So yours is indeed a very very good catch!

As for boat fishing, I'll have to wait for an invite from Scarpie. Will let you know when.

Cheers.
  • Melvyn
    sk8" said:
    To be honest DoubleO, my biggest kahawai has never reached 9lbs, and the NZ average is around 4lbs. So yours is indeed a very very good catch!

As for boat fishing, I'll have to wait for an invite from Scarpie. Will let you know when.

Cheers.

was wondering if u wanna go makara, pukerua or boom rock to fish...

makara, big trevallies are running...Pukerua has i forgot what and boom rock....KINGIS :smt051
  • sk8
    Sure, give me a yell when you want to go. Never fished Makara and would be keen to try. You must be referring to "Wai Rock" in Pukerua Bay? Kings and snapper are caught from there. Would be a good option in summer. Boom rock is about 2hrs walk from Makara or about 0.5hrs if you have 4WD and permission from the local landowner to take the 4WD cross their land.

Hopefully the weather will be warmer tomorrow :)

Cheers.
  • marlin_dc
    excellent catch mate,

Kwai kwai or australian Salmon are excellent fish. They jump well and fight like there is no tomorrow.Fortunately there are much more better eating fish in aus and NZ. This makes them excellent C&R fish. When a whole sch comes the action is virtually non-stop. Unfortunately the salmon in the sydney harbour has gotten very skitish due to the increase fishing for them. Well hopfully we get into them this winter. Great catch mate.

Ps: yeah i think kings go way better than amberjacks. AT least the fight better in the size i get here. Not like the ones u get in NZ
  • Melvyn
    sk8" said:
    Sure, give me a yell when you want to go. Never fished Makara and would be keen to try. You must be referring to "Wai Rock" in Pukerua Bay? Kings and snapper are caught from there. Would be a good option in summer. Boom rock is about 2hrs walk from Makara or about 0.5hrs if you have 4WD and permission from the local landowner to take the 4WD cross their land.

Hopefully the weather will be warmer tomorrow :)

Cheers.
    dude, i just came back from a overnight trip. Got 2 red cods and a mantis shrimp... :lol: post cr later...need to go airport to see auntie off :D
  • Melvyn
    marlin_dc" said:
    excellent catch mate,

Kwai kwai or australian Salmon are excellent fish. They jump well and fight like there is no tomorrow.Fortunately there are much more better eating fish in aus and NZ. This makes them excellent C&R fish. When a whole sch comes the action is virtually non-stop. Unfortunately the salmon in the sydney harbour has gotten very skitish due to the increase fishing for them. Well hopfully we get into them this winter. Great catch mate.

Ps: yeah i think kings go way better than amberjacks. AT least the fight better in the size i get here. Not like the ones u get in NZ
    when kahawaii comes in a huge school, big small everything is in it...any lure, jig, rig, etc etc gets hits...But i haven tried using empty hook yet. :) They ran in the harbour continuously in the summer for 3-5 days a week and average size 4-5lbs...quick, easy and cheap fun. I have uttermost respect for them when fought on light lines...

There are alot of better eating fishes in NZ, blue cod is one of them. Other than the lone kahawaii taken on the 2nd trip, 2 blue cods weighing 4lb and 4 2/3lb were taken as well.

Correct me if im wrong, but the Kingis that u guys get are kinda on the small side eh? 4lbs - 6lbs+ and i remember distinctively that u guys fight on light lines. Here weather, current, size of fish bait used and other factor conditions do not really allow light tackles to be used. Imagine fishing off a rock edge, 6lb line? nah...straight bust off...u guys fish off a boat and the pictures which u guys took showed the current to be relatively calm, little to no swells around at that time...In NZ, its hard to get such conditions, especially wellington.

I think Scarpie and SK8 can give u a better run down of the stuff that goes on here...im just a newbie learning from the pros :smt038
  • tmlim
    ^DoUb|e O^" said:

True but me no interest in amberjacks... :lol: i rather go after kingfish anyday...went to a spot last week...got stripped off totally...245yds of 50lb mono... :shock:
    Hi,
    I should in Palmerston North, New Zealand from November 21-23, 2005 for a conference at Massey University. Any advices (after your exams) on location, charter and contacts for kingfish fishing will be fully appreciated. I will come equip with spare lines. :lol:

You can email me at tmlim123@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance.

Cheers
  • sk8
    Hi DoubleO,

Eh, don't say until like that lah....I'm also very inexperienced, especially when it comes to boat fishing :) .

I'm very interested to see pic of your mantis shrimp as I'm not sure if they are available in NZ. Perhaps it was a crayfish? Wah, you very "on" sia, It was freezing cold last night and you went for an overnighter :smt023 Hmm, it wasnt at NIWA was it? Great spot for red cod.

The thing with kingfish is that they grow to extremely huge proportions in NZ. The legal size here is 75cm and that will be considered big in Australia and US. Anything smaller, you are required by law to CnR. The largest landed on rod and line was 52lbs. But much bigger ones have been sighted.

Cheers.
  • Melvyn
    sk8" said:
    Hi DoubleO,

Eh, don't say until like that lah....I'm also very inexperienced, especially when it comes to boat fishing :) .

I'm very interested to see pic of your mantis shrimp as I'm not sure if they are available in NZ. Perhaps it was a crayfish? Wah, you very "on" sia, It was freezing cold last night and you went for an overnighter :smt023 Hmm, it wasnt at NIWA was it? Great spot for red cod.

The thing with kingfish is that they grow to extremely huge proportions in NZ. The legal size here is 75cm and that will be considered big in Australia and US. Anything smaller, you are required by law to CnR. The largest landed on rod and line was 52lbs. But much bigger ones have been sighted.

Cheers.
    no its not at NIWA, its a popular spot but u must catch correct timing. I lost a bullet train that night too...damn :roll: anyway showing u the mantis shrimp...my fren caught it on hook and became his soup...
  • lengyian
    Hi,

Be careful, this is unlike Singapore. You can collect anything you want back home.

Down under, there are size and number limits to hunting these sea animals. If someone observed and report to the local fisheries officers, where a spot check is usually held half way when going back. It could be in quite a trouble as these guys are always very strict in their official duties. Alot of locals there got fines in bringing home undersize fishes. So remember, dont chop off the head, when you gutt the fishes on the beach and for bring home.

Good luck and enjoy fishing there. One of the most fishable locations of the world....just by the beach

lengyian
  • sk8
    Lengyian,
    You are quite correct, although the stiff penalties have still not stopped people catching undersized fish or going above their catch limits.

As long as the fishery officers can figure out the size of the fish based on the fillets, you would still be okay, otherwise you would be in deep s***. For example, you can have your boat (or car) impounded on top of a stiff fine. On the other hand, if for example it was just kid who happen to not know the rules and kept an undersized fish, just a stern warning would normally be handed out.

The recreational limit is 20 fish per person. Within this limit, you can't have more than 9 snapper (or 10 in some parts of the country). The limit does not apply to baitfish or less desirable species of course :)

20 fish for me is plenty. So I don't see any justification for people complaining about the limit.

Cheers.
  • Melvyn
    lengyian" said:
    Hi,

Be careful, this is unlike Singapore. You can collect anything you want back home.

Down under, there are size and number limits to hunting these sea animals. If someone observed and report to the local fisheries officers, where a spot check is usually held half way when going back. It could be in quite a trouble as these guys are always very strict in their official duties. Alot of locals there got fines in bringing home undersize fishes. So remember, dont chop off the head, when you gutt the fishes on the beach and for bring home.

Good luck and enjoy fishing there. One of the most fishable locations of the world....just by the beach

lengyian
    when u go fishing here, the fisheries officers will pay u a visit inevitably at least once when u are fishing...but the waters around wellington are too extensive and thus almost impossible to police efficiently and effectively...but ultimately is the mentality and attitude of the angler to uphold the bag and size limits.

but here, to comment generally...the Pacific Islanders and Maori anglers are very good...they catch alot of fish, they share with everyone and anyone...so lessen the wastage of fish...i catch heaps, i release heaps and i give away too...
  • lengyian
    Good on you, Mates!!

Keep it up, take home what you need.

cheers

lengyian
  • Melvyn
    lengyian" said:
    Good on you, Mates!!

cheers

lengyian

thanks dude...i feel most important is the angler's attitude and mentality towards sustainability, preservation and awareness of fish stocks...Sorry lend FK.com motto for usage... :D

sk8, my parents want me to go back home leh...now im thinking hard but same time stress also le... :)
  • Michael Lim
    ^DoUb|e O^" said:
    [quote="lengyian"]Good on you, Mates!!

cheers

lengyian

thanks dude...i feel most important is the angler's attitude and mentality towards sustainability, preservation and awareness of fish stocks...Sorry lend FK.com motto for usage... :D

sk8, my parents want me to go back home leh...now im thinking hard but same time stress also le... :)[/quote]

No worries, feel free to use it and help spread the word of awareness.

Cheers,
  • sk8
    ^DoUb|e O" said:

sk8, my parents want me to go back home leh...now im thinking hard but same time stress also le... :)
    Well, you can't go back until you hook up on a big bad Wellington groper :twisted:

I am thinking of going kayak fishing in the harbour when the weather is good. Drop me an email if you interested.
  • Melvyn
    sk8" said:
    [quote="^DoUb|e O"]

Well, you can't go back until you hook up on a big bad Wellington groper :twisted:

I am thinking of going kayak fishing in the harbour when the weather is good. Drop me an email if you interested.[/quote]

bro, can a torium or a penn 330 gti hold a wellington groper? me definitely interested in kayak fishing but u gotta tell me what i need so when i go back to SG i can get my stuff from beach rd as its cheaper compared to NZ pricing...the last time i went kayak fishing was in tioman...big mistake...6lbs fireline hook onto a stingray... :oops:
  • scarpie
    Double O, I'm pleased you have tasted some Wellington fishing and had good success. If you want better tasting Kahawai, bleed the fish and ice down ASAP. If you fillet, then remove the brown flesh along the side of the fillet, this is blood rich flesh and tastes very fishy. Cook the fillets any way and you will be impressed at the much improved taste. In fact any filleted fish can be much improved by removing the brown flesh. Next time on the boat I will ask SK8 to bring you along, then you will experience true hardcore groper fishing. that 330GTI with 50-80lb braid would be OK at a pinch. We fish with 30oz sinkers and big 14/0 circle hooks for groper in up to 200m deep, are you up for it? We regularly catch Blue Cod and Tarakihi in waters 70m to 100m. Once you taste boat fishing, land based fishing is very slow.

Tmlim- from Palmerston Nth, if you can get yourself to Castlepoint there you can take a charter boat to fish that coast. There is plenty of Groper, Blue Cod, Tarakihi and probably Kingies during that time of year. My party recently jigged over 12 Kingies up to 30lb and also 8 Groper just jigging over a 50m reef. Castlepoint is a 2hr drive from P.N. or you can take a charter trip out of Wellington or Mana, check out Wellington Fishing charters with Pete Lamb who can put you into some good fishing. Not as good as Castlepoint but easier to drive there and a 52' vessel, so very safe. Check out www.petelambfishing.co.nz
    Why not make for a Singapore gathering? SK8, DoubleO how about it?

• Melvyn
    i sure up for Singaporean meeting!...haha...but scarpie can u tell me what sorta reel i should use or get for fishing with you guys...30oz sinkers at 200m sounds like room for electronic reels :shock:

btw i going back to SG for holidays so will get my stuff from beach rd and etc...so need ur input on rod, reel and line... :D
  • sk8
    DoubleO,

I've got 2 tld30 rod/reel sets. Loaded with 50lb braid and 80lb braid- take your pick if you like to borrow.

Anything similar in size and retrieve ratio to the tld 30 and can handle braid should be fine. Twin speed will be a nice bonus. I'm not familiar with the 330gti so can't comment. Correct me if I'm wrong Scarpie, but a stiffish boat rod in the 40-60lb class would suffice yes?

I fished for groper with a Penn GLS40 before and it was a bit of a struggle.

Cheers.
  • John Hooi
    ...feeling shagged out and sky getting dark, we decided to...

Er... who or what were you 'shagging'???

Definition of 'shag'

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=shag

v. Chiefly British Vulgar Slang shagged, shag·ging, shags
    v. tr.

To engage in sexual intercourse with.

v. intr.

To engage in sexual intercourse.

Source : The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

:smt040
  • tmlim
    scarpie" said:

Tmlim- from Palmerston Nth, if you can get yourself to Castlepoint there you can take a charter boat to fish that coast. There is plenty of Groper, Blue Cod, Tarakihi and probably Kingies during that time of year. My party recently jigged over 12 Kingies up to 30lb and also 8 Groper just jigging over a 50m reef. Castlepoint is a 2hr drive from P.N. or you can take a charter trip out of Wellington or Mana, check out Wellington Fishing charters with Pete Lamb who can put you into some good fishing. Not as good as Castlepoint but easier to drive there and a 52' vessel, so very safe. Check out www.petelambfishing.co.nz
    Why not make for a Singapore gathering? SK8, DoubleO how about it?
    Hi Scarpie,
    A Singapore gathering at Castlepoint would be a very good idea indeed! Sharing a boat would reduce my cost and getting the fishing charter. Can the jigging tackles used in Taiwan be employed in New Zealand too? I hope the weather there is a lot milder and sea is shallower as compared to Taiwan. In Taiwan, half the fishing time is lost thru dropping and retrieving the jig. :cry: Hope we can have more discussions when you are back in S'pore or email me at tmlim123@yahoo.com

Sk8,
    Thank you very much for your comprehensive email with regard to fishing in New Zealand. To be honest, I'm still a bit blur and need to have a better grasp in its georaphical profile.

Cheers
    tmlim
  • scarpie
    ^DoUb|e O^" said:
    i sure up for Singaporean meeting!...haha...but scarpie can u tell me what sorta reel i should use or get for fishing with you guys...30oz sinkers at 200m sounds like room for electronic reels :shock:

btw i going back to SG for holidays so will get my stuff from beach rd and etc...so need ur input on rod, reel and line... :D
    Just borrow SK8's reel, i can lend you a rod no probs so no need to buy. Save your $$ for the fishing trip. Rods tend to be 50lb standup rods, if using braid then select a rod with a soft tip action to give better cushioning for the braid. Yeah i have an electric reel too but mostly fish with manual reel.

Tmlim, sorry to give you wrong impression, I am not from Singapore - genuine kiwi; but I am friends with SK8. Jigging in NZ you should use PE3 for small bottom fish to PE5-8 for groper & kingfish. It is a pity that you will not be in NZ longer. Weather is always the deciding factor and November is reknown for the wind and rough seas.
  • Melvyn
    John Hooi" said:
    ...feeling shagged out and sky getting dark, we decided to...

Er... who or what were you 'shagging'???

Definition of 'shag'

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=shag

v. Chiefly British Vulgar Slang shagged, shag·ging, shags
    v. tr.

To engage in sexual intercourse with.

v. intr.

To engage in sexual intercourse.

Source : The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

:smt040
    Errr......................

I was having secret rendevous b4 hand leh.... :oops:
This discussion has been closed.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2020