Gotta Catch Them All !

• superminnn
    edited January 2015
    Hi guys,

Caught a new species, the golden arowana, and my heaviest catch 6.2kg (12.4lb). However I didn't handle the fish properly, I boga-ed the lips and didn't hold the belly when I took the pictures. As I'm not experienced with handling monsters and also a majestic and sensitive fish like the arowana. I apologize in advance if I upset some of the viewers, I will learn from my lesson in handling the fishes caught. Support the belly whenever possible, especially when taking pictures. Enjoy the new year guys!

Rod: Major Craft Go Emotion 12-20lb 7' 1 piece
    Reel: Shimano Chronarch CI4+ 151HG
    Line: Suffix 832 Ghost 20lb
    Leader: YGK Galis Nylon 40lb Albright
    Lures: D-lure sinking pencil 140mm

• buay_heng
    Awesome catch! But never boga arrowana pls :cry: :cry:
  • sgbdk
    Exactly bro.. you are not an inexperience lurer already. Please do support the belly of any fishes you caught in the future... be it haruan, pb or temmy..
    Im sure you can consult your team urban legend's kaki like xbunsoy for proper handling /boga in his cr report

Pain me to see the arowana being boga -ed this way..
  • superminnn
    edited January 2015
    I got adviced already before this, sorry guys. I have learnt my lesson that's why I posted the reflections. Everybody makes mistakes and I'll learn from the mistakes I made so look forward to more catches with belly being supported!

By the way, xbunsoy is not in team urban legends. Happy holidays!
  • sgbdk
    superminnn" said:
    OK Bros, I got adviced already before this, sorry guys. I have learnt my lesson anyway that's why I posted the reflections. Everybody makes mistakes and I'll learn from the mistakes I made so look forward to more catches with belly being supported!

By the way, xbunsoy is not in team urban legends. Sorry. Happy holidays!
    Oh my bad.. i tot both of you were part of it..

Anyway.. no one is blaming you, of course the FK forum is a platform for learning and making friend as per your signature bro. Where you had made reflection, its also an opportunity for the younger generation to use this as a valuable lesson. Everyone wanted fun and we definitely hoping to land the fish in future.

And im looking forward to your more experience handling or boga your catch in future.. especially belly supported then as you have claim.

Tight lines bro!!
  • superminnn
    edited January 2015
    I can say this is one of the hottest first light session. The weather was hot but the action was not.. Had the intention of first light toman hunting to land my first giant snakehead but oh well no takes from this species.. Maybe the weather was making them not willing to whack the lure, they too got agitated by the weather. Anyways, manage to land 3. Dropped 2, one small toman and 1 decent size pb. Enjoy your sunday!

Rod: Major Craft Go Emotion 12-20lb 7'
    Reel:Shimano Chronarch CI4+ 151HG
    Leader: YGK Galis nylon 40lb Albright
    Lures: D-lure Aerocast 140mm, and Dlure floating minnow

• superminnn
    Wrong picture uploaded. This is the 2nd pb caught.

• Xargin
    That is one monster that is seeing its way to heaven by the looks of how it is being handled.

Catch and release is not simply releasing after you land them, it is about proper handling and proper release.

This is just a sad sight to see let alone a catch report.
    superminnn" said:

Hi guys,

Caught a new species, the golden arowana, and my heaviest catch 6.2kg (12.4lb). However I didn't handle the fish properly, I boga-ed the lips and didn't hold the belly when I took the pictures. As I'm not experienced with handling monsters and also a majestic and sensitive fish like the arowana. I apologize in advance if I upset some of the viewers, I will learn from my lesson in handling the fishes caught. Support the belly whenever possible, especially when taking pictures. Enjoy the new year guys!

Rod: Major Craft Go Emotion 12-20lb 7' 1 piece
    Leader: YGK Galis Nylon 40lb Albright
    Lures: D-lure sinking pencil 140mm

• superminnn
    thanks bro xargin for the comments, will use them as a lesson for my future catches.
  • ET-Lurer
    Haiz... the fish confirm will die... anyhow handle... poor arowana can't live to fight another day... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • superminnn
    Moody weather yesterday, was soaked by the rain thrice

• superminnn
    The one that got away, jump multiple times, however my eagerness was the one that didn't land me this fish.

• superminnn
    A guide to recce-ing (Finding new fishing spot).

What you need :
    1 ) Courage
    2 ) Energy
    3 ) Physique
    4 ) Proper Attire
    5 ) All kinds of lure
    6 ) The never say die attitude
    7 ) Some knowledge of the fish and luring
    8 ) Luck
    9 ) Buddy (optional)
    10) Drinking Water

These are the things you probably will need to start recce-ing. Requires alot of energy, like cardio session. Up and down the hills, into the forest, into the bushes, hundreds of casts, slipping and falling, stepped into a hole, quicksand, dirty pants and shoes. Sweat, dirt and sometimes blood. The itch from the insects,plants and also the itch to seduce the Fish to whack your lure. These are the things you will experience when you recce. In the end, once you get to land the fish. All of the efforts and hard work will be paid off. So, what are you waiting for?!

Rod: Major Craft Go Emotion 5-14lb BFS 6'7
    Leader: YGK FC 25lb Albright
    Lure: R2S Humbug

The reward! Good fighter!

UPDATE : Anyone wanna bring me out to lure? Weekends? haha, gonna resume targeting other species, mainly TOMAN.

• superminnn
    Have not been luring, however will be luring this weekends. see you guys on sunday at kranji legal ground A for the pb hunting in order to encourage survival of the toman :)
  • superminnn
    Hey fks, haven't been fishing for 1 week due to lost of motivation. Been luring every weekends before to land the beastly Giant Snakehead, aka Toman, missed a number of whacks. Spotted 2 right in front of me but wasn't using the right lure. Omg, the anticipation of fighting and landing the toman is killing me.

There's different levels you have to go through first:
    1. Having the right setup and lures
    2. Spotting them
    3. Able to cast to them
    4. Able to agitate it with the lure and get whacked
    5. Fighting the fish
    6. Landing the fish
    All steps are important to land this bugger and clearly I'm lacking somewhere in the steps. You need lots of Patience and Luck.

Anyways, tried a spot recommended by my teammate ,went alone cos everyone slept from the long day of toman hunting yesterday. Was using all types of lures but didn't thought Top Water would be the answer to trick this buggers. (Was watching other lurer land using topwater, I was like come on man that's impossible?!)

Couldn't make it for the project R at kranji with many well known lurers and upcoming lurers cos its too far and I had to save my energy cos I'm juggling with soccer practise now also haha. Soccer tournament starting Liao. Here are the catches.

• superminnn
    Another picture taken from the other day

• superminnn
    There's so much commotion regarding the abuse of PBs. They are a nice species to catch, they bring excitement to us when they take our lures. Even though they are growing in numbers in our waters but you shouldn't abuse them by cutting their tails and throwing back into the water. Just give to someone who is in need of food, if necessary, not kill it like that.. If not for this PBs, I wouldn't learn how to lure from bro @applesanchikosan @sgbdk and I wouldn't be the lurer I am today.

Here you go, another PB caught however on a norman deep diver lure! First time caught a fish on a DD!

• sgbdk
    superminnn" said:

There's so much commotion regarding the abuse of PBs. They are a nice species to catch, they bring excitement to us when they take our lures. Even though they are growing in numbers in our waters but you shouldn't abuse them by cutting their tails and throwing back into the water. Just give to someone who is in need of food, if necessary, not kill it like that.. If not for this PBs, I wouldn't learn how to lure from bro @applesanchikosan @sgbdk and I wouldn't be the lurer I am today.

Here you go, another PB caught however on a norman deep diver lure! First time caught a fish on a DD!

Nice one there bro! Keep it up
  • superminnn
    A PB caught on deep diver!

• superminnn
    Been hunting Tomans for months and I can tell you today was the closest I had in landing a giant snakehead. Kept on spotting rise n casting a lure I borrowed from my friend, maria angelkiss, as I was twitching and retrieving the lure after like my 20th cast, I felt a sudden take and felt a large pull. My rod my line was suddenly pulled as if I was about to let go. I think I did set hook? But I fought it, it pulled my line to many many directions, fought it with the guidance of my shifus.. The fish came up n surfaced and jumped. It was a brown coloured giant snakehead about the size of 10lb+.. I fought it again and I felt it. The sudden loss of pull was felt, cos the HOOK came off.

I might have lost my cool when fighting the fish because I was too panicky and nervous. It was a great experience tho and I'm addicted to it.

The snakehead looks exactly like the one in the picture.

And the hunt for my first giant snakehead continues!

• superminnn
    Thanks bro @luke will give it a read!! I actually read it before a few times, however there isn't much about how to fight it, just crane it and maintain the tension on the line is it? The fight was so addictive. Just got too panicky that's why
  • superminnn
    Hey guys, been a long time since I posted! I've been away to the Philippines for my holidays with my gf and this time round, i've included luring in my days there. Just reached Singapore just now morning. Been there for 2 weeks.

Thanks to the invite of bro paulo from phillipines, he manage to bring me to 2 places - Pantabangan Damn and A reservoir that has not been opened yet.

However, I didnt had enough time to go hunt for Giant Snakeheads, would go there again with bro paulo to hunt them.

We reached the Dam late as we were from another province, we managed to fish for a few hour tho. To hunt for LARGEMOUTH BASS. We were using spinning setups which we borrowed from the boatman. and also lures from bro paulo. Texas rig, wacky rig, caroloina rig and the dropshot rig was used. However, no bass landed. I missed 2 tho, its a new experience for me to hunt for this species. Would like to try there again. MOREOVER, THAT DAY THE WIND WAS SUPER STRONG. IT PUSHED ME EVEN WHEN I WAS STANDING. IMAGINE THAT. MANY WIND KNOTS WITH AN UNFAMILIAR SPINNING SETUP.

Great experience and also first time luring on a boat! awesome

• joncver
    glad you finally found your way there! i might be going next month for some largemouth bass action myself :)
  • superminnn
    joncver" said:
    glad you finally found your way there! i might be going next month for some largemouth bass action myself :)
    haha nice you going next month? I will probably go Philippines in May, wanna go together? how much did you pay tho for your boat. I didnt land any LMB, so sad... need guidance
  • superminnn
    This is the species that is abundant in Pantabangan Dam, however on the day it was too too windy and we were too inexperienced to lure the fish. Luck was also not on our side. I will come again and catch it one day

• joncver
    May can do as well :) I always fly back anyway...

I know some boatmen there and they will usually advise if the basses are biting, otherwise don't waste your trip going there... now should be the season and a lot of bites recently.... I pay Php800 for the boat whole day which is about S$25 (Php1,500 if there are 2 in a boat)

Let me know your schedule but for sure I am hitting the waters next month
  • superminnn
    Sure bro joncver, do PM me your number so I can arrange my schedule with you. Did you have to pay for permit into the dam?

I paid 200(petrol) 500(boat for 2) and 200 (permit for 2) pesos for 3-4hours of fishing.. Was it too costly?
  • joncver
    first time i heard of a breakdown in pricing.... there is no need for permit to fish bro, its a free for all... considering that it is just 3-4hrs fishing it is on the expensive side...

usually i will start at 6am and take a break 12pm-2pm, then fish again 2pm til 6pm, that will cost me php800
  • superminnn
    The next day I went to a private reservoir which has not been open to the public yet, was invited by Paulo Pagharion to hunt for Peacock Bass. Was suppose to go for Toman Hunting also but I didn't have enough time to do so. However, had a memorable time luring (on land and also on the boat) and caught some good size Peacock Bass and Temmies, most importantly caught my biggest size Peacock Bass! Yay! Here are the pictures enjoy!

If you are interested in luring in Philippines, do contact Paulo Pagharion on Facebook for more details. The private reservoir will be open late this year. Enjoy!

Next overseas trip will be luring @ Malaysia for Toman & Sebarau Hunting with bro pleasebitemylure (isaac) and other kakis. Wish me luck!