Collage of CRs

dafrogman
edited June 2005 in Catch Reports
Working on the premise that pictures say far more than words ever could, these are some pics from my last 5 odd trips over the last 3 months....

Hope you enjoy them...

Regards,

DFM

• dafrogman
    And More Pics...

DFM

• dafrogman
    A Few More Pics...

DFM

• dafrogman
    The Final Installment for the moment...

DFM

• Grago
    Awesome catch bro. :D SLAP should visit you one day. Explore your waters :wink: Keep it cummin'
  • s999andy
    Wow.... man nice catch :smt118 :smt118 :smt118
  • Melvin Lee
    WOW... Did i sees a Napolean Wrasse?? :shock:
  • stanle
    wa liao froggy bro, so nice catches. CANTIK LA!!!!
    whn wan bring me go? maybe sight seeing onli :cry:
  • fisho_gal
    wat's a Napolean Wrasse?

Which fish is that?
  • jon
    Hi Saimee,

Nice pics bro. What do you guys call the fish that is below the big MJ that is in the cooler.

In Labuan that is what my mum's side of the family call "Hoi Tai Kai" or chicken of the sea. Jarang dapat yg besar gitu. Susah tembak, agak liar.

Sorry my brother didn't call you. He spent most of the time in Labuan going spearfishing and basically chilling out.

Looks like you and the boys had some productive trips. How was the weather. We're having daily squalls and all the rain has really affected the vis in shallow water, resulting with us putting off spearfishing for a while.

Warmest regards to you and the family.

Jon 8)
  • snapper
    [quote"Hoi Tai Kai" or chicken of the sea[/quote]

Hi guys,

Interesting fish. Surprised to see it in Brunei. In Singapore, I think they call it "kim kueh bu" or "golden mother chicken" :lol: These fish are now caught in local Singapore waters off Changi coast. They were somewhat of a rarity until recently. Maybe descendants of fish farm escapees? Another common catch these days off Changi are the Giant Herrings, again these fish were seldom caught before.

tight lines
  • dafrogman
    Guys and Gals, thanks for the comments and questions.

As far as my understanding of what a Napolean Wrass or Humpheaded Wrass is, we didn't catch any. If you are referring to the grey blue fish with a longish mouth and wavy lines on its head, that is an "Anduping" as we call it, I think Oz calls it a spangled emperor... pretty easy to catch, they can't resist squid heads.

Jon,

Good to hear from you dude. If you are refering to the fish below the MJ in the pic labelled 200505 Stars 1, we call it a "Ketumbang", its rated as highly as the Red Emperor (Santak) and you're right, its not a usual catch. That said, my last trip last Saturday saw another 5kg specimen boated. I think that in this new area that we are recceing at the moment, if you find MJs, you will find this fish and its best targetted at night on a rising tide with big baits. If anyone can tell me the English/Latin name of that fish, I would be very happy.

Weather here has been amazingly good the last two weeks, flat seas, almost no wind, but lately also glass clear water and little current, so fishing has required us to be more "innovative". I caught that 14kg grouper during last Saturdays trip on a drift over a deep reef 400ft down.

Don't worry about your bro dude, he needs to chill how he wants. Hope you get the time to chill with your crew too dude. My regards to them, hope that they are well.

Regards,

Saimee@DFM
  • jon
    Hi Snapper,

Never knew that you get them in S'pore. Even in Labuan where we shoot them, they are not easy to come by. I've never seen one here in Bintan after diving here for 11yrs.

What do they rate in S'pore as table fish? Curious to know.

Hi Melvin,

When you were asking Dafrogman about wether the fish was a Napolean Wrass, were you refering to the fish that the hand was holding. If it was, I'm pretty sure that is a job fish.

Saimee,

Petition boss atas for speargun izin. That way we can dive, shoot and fish. :D :D

Rgds,

Jon 8)
  • snapper
    Hi Jon & Dafrogman,

The "golden mother chickens" are good eating, quite a tough fighter too! Not sure if they rank as highly as red emperors as a food fish in Singapore though...Here is a pic of BlackMarlin with a youngling caught off Changi waters.

tight lines guys,

mark

• DaveIrving
    Hi Guys

We had one of these in the Similans a couple of years back and found out its called a Maori Sea Perch....

Cheers

Dave

• dafrogman
    Dave,

Thanks very much for the ID.... At least I can now describe it better when people ask me what I catch out there after burning that much gas.. :lol:

Jon,

They wouldn't give me a permit..... they said I did enough damage to the fish population just using a damned hand line.... :twisted: :twisted: And yes that fish you referred to is a Jobfish...yummy.

Regards,

Saimee@DFM
  • stanle
    dafrogman" said:
    Dave,

Thanks very much for the ID.... At least I can now describe it better when people ask me what I catch out there after burning that much gas.. :lol:

Jon,

They wouldn't give me a permit..... they said I did enough damage to the fish population just using a damned hand line.... :twisted: :twisted: And yes that fish you referred to is a Jobfish...yummy.

Regards,

Saimee@DFM
    bro, u maciam our local jockey Saimee, don win then don win, when win, win big big. :lol:
  • Rapala VMC - Fred
    Hi Saimee,

Great to know that the weather is great in Brunei and how is the local fisherman's catches at Jelutong? :lol: The last time I was there, I saw many big Golden Trevelly, bulan bulan and something caught my eyes was a nice specimen of a bonefish. :shock:

I am not really into bottom fishing but my customer Henry Ting does and he owns a boat in Brunei as well. We did went out on one day but the catch was nothing compare to yours :lol: Being more of a fly fishing enthusiast, I am more interested in chasing the bulan bulan (tarpon), bonefish and the Golden Trevelly.

Might be going there of a business trip this month, hope you can share some tips on where I can flyfish from shore. :wink:
  • Kelvin Gerard
    Just when we were about to store our rods and reels for the year ... here comes DFM with all the inspirational pics! Man you got us into a frenzy again! Looks like there are some Dhufish in there too.

Brunei ... definitely Sounds Like A Plan!

Keep the great pics coming DFM ... you DA man!
  • dafrogman
    Snakeriver,

Sorry dude, its been a while since I took out my shorefishing gear and I am out of touch with the spots now. In terms of targetting Golden Trevally, Bonefish and Bulan-Bulan on Fly, from shore I have no idea.

From the boat, there are seasons when Golden Trevally will head to inshore reefs and they will feed within 50 feet of the surface, so with a deep sinking fly, I guess it would be possible. The main problem is finding the fish first.

As for Bulan-Bulan, all you need is structure like FADs and light, they will take a fly, 'cos I have caught them at night, flylining a luminous plastic squid on a Carolina rig using my daughters UL Spinning Reel.

The toughest question is bonefish..... if you would follow the thinking of the Florida based anglers, the flats would be the logical choice for bonefish. But to be honest, since they are not a targetted species here (at least not targetted by me or my crew), I have no idea where to find them, maybe some of the mangrove flats or beach flats off the inshore island areas.

Try posting a question on the Bruclass fishing forum, I think Fred might have tried looking for them. Sorry I can't help you there more.

Kelvin,

Whats all this nonsense about putting away your rods and reels...... no no, never put them away leave them on your kitchen table surrounded by your tools, Corrosion X bottles, Grease tubs, new line etc etc thats what I do :wink: :wink: :wink:

Regards,

DFM
  • Allen
    Love your pic, especially your style small boat for big fish:smt109
    My respect to you. :: prayer
  • Rapala VMC - Fred
    Hi Saimee,,

Thanks for the info. So Capt Fred has some clue, that is great. Been a glong since I went to his shop and have coffee wiht him and Henry. Yes, I think bonefish is hardly a target over there and I see most fishos love their bottom fishing, jigging and trolling. Of course if I have the chance, I will love to do all these too. A good pull from a good fish is most welcomed anytime :lol:

I will ask around for more information about those fishes and look for more in shore fly fishing places. Hope to have coffee if I do make the trip this month.

cheers.

:wink:
  • dafrogman
    SRiver,

Well, I seem to recall that in the past Fred had mentioned looking for bonefish on some of the sandy flats off Kuraman island. Whether he was successful or not, I have no idea. Drop him an e-mail.

Regards,

DFM
This discussion has been closed.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2020