Jigging Assist hooks

Michael Lim
edited January 2016 in Jigging & Popping
This is more for the micro-jigging side. But it may also be able to be utilised for the other jiggers.
  • Michael Lim
    For those interested, I have done up a photo guide on how to make assist hook for the jigs. Click on the photos for the write up and step by step.

Tools required (basic job)

And here we have the finished jig jook on PE line.

• Michael Lim
    And for those who are using kevlar, this is another way.

And the above shows the tied assist jigs on both PE line as well as Kevlar. :D

Happy jigging.
  • Michael Lim
    Here's the flash material version. Read the flickr site for the descriptions.

For how to tie the solid ring on, please read my previous pictorial.

This is also very similar to my previous tutorial. Only difference is that you add on the flash material after you secure a small section of the PE line.

And here you have the finished product. :D
  • Michael Lim
    One more different version

Using kevlar instead of PE and also using glow in the dark flash fibres
  • Michael Lim
    Another jig hook method is to use 2 hooks which faces in opposite directions.

This is one method which I learnt online and it is good in the sense that you can measure EXACTLY how long you wish your snood to be.

Will add in the tutorial on how to do this one later on.
  • Michael Lim
    edited May 2016
    Here is the pictorial on how to do this double hook rig.

What you need.

• Michael Lim
    edited May 2016
    Push out the core after you have measured out the dimensions and cut the kevlar to size.

Remove the core and either keep for other use or throw it away.

• Michael Lim
    edited May 2016
    Thread the tool at below the base of the point where the kevlar is coming out from.

Use the tool to grab the kevlar and form a loop.

Pull thru back down the core and you'll form a nice loop like this

Now repeat on the other end. (longer side)

And after doing so, you'll get 2 loops.

• Michael Lim
    edited May 2016
    Now thread the loop thru the hook eye like this

And then thread the loop thru the hook point and pull back onto the hook.

Repeat on the other end.

And if you find both hooks facing the same direction

Just push the loop back out the hook point and reverse the loop direction and thread thru the point again.

You will then get the hooks to face in opp. direction

Now get a small solid ring which is matched to the kevlar and the hook size. Thread it onto the top.

Pull the loop on back onto the ring and this is what you'll get

• Michael Lim
    edited May 2016
    And here is the completed rig against the jig which I have measured against, the Evergreen Caprice Kid 30gm.

• Fishhhy
    Who the hell would use circle hook for jigging? You think fly fishing ah? I can tell you you will land lesser fish when you stand beside us.
  • Michael Lim
    Fishhhy" said:
    Who the hell would use circle hook for jigging? You think fly fishing ah? I can tell you you will land lesser fish when you stand beside us.
    It's ok. I am testing out various choices available on the market. :D

Having fun testing is part of the game for me.
  • nelsonlimjinwei
    Bro,

For the splicing of the orange line, I assume that the line poundage will be doubled. How does the setup fare against toothy fish like tinggiri?
  • Michael Lim
    nelsonlimjinwei" said:
    Bro,

For the splicing of the orange line, I assume that the line poundage will be doubled. How does the setup fare against toothy fish like tinggiri?
    Apologies for the late reply,

It's not actually doubled as the splice section is pretty small. As for Tengirri, I have been told that they can slice thru kevlar too. So if you want to be safe, go for a wire rig.
  • amsaadi
    Good job, good effort
    Thank You
  • fishyfutures
    Fishhhy" said:
    those are octopus, not circle, hooks in the last few pictures. circle hooks have the hook point perpendicular to the shank, no?
  • katak
    where can i get the latch needle in singapore???hope fully have some body can tell me..
  • Michael Lim
    katak" said:
    where can i get the latch needle in singapore???hope fully have some body can tell me..
    Sorry for missing this out. A couple of the local shops do sell this needles, Sabre, AO, Kaiser and Changi Pro should have these.

Also, pics location are updated. So they should show up nicely now.
  • coconut88
    Hi Michael,
    If possible tie a 2 hooks for light jigging?
  • Michael Lim
    coconut88" said:
    Hi Michael,
    If possible tie a 2 hooks for light jigging?
    So sorry, just saw this post. And yes, double hook rigs are possible.

• jakko
    For the tying the hook, would that 2 half hitch work better than a 3 turn uni (uni might waste more kevlar)?
  • Michael Lim
    jakko" said:
    For the tying the hook, would that 2 half hitch work better than a 3 turn uni (uni might waste more kevlar)?
    Well, to each their own. But I am a lil more kiasu type. So waste a bit more, but feel more secure to me.... :lol: