Luring at lower pierce reservoir

Seck
edited January 2013 in Luring & Artificial
Got there by 9:30 in the morning. Set up everything and start luring. Lured for 2h but nothing got hooked up. Saw some big splashes on the water surface with loud sound. Tried all my lures and techniques but... Is it about my lure, techniques, weather or time? Anyone can help me on what I should do? I am sured there are fishes there. Thanks!

• azariel
    here's a few words worth from someone who has a miserable hookup rate at freshwater luring: you just gotta keep trying. try more targeted casting, aim for structures, cover or particular spots or whatnot. explore different types of lures (rubbers are all the rage nowadays) and vary your retrieve.

and luring, esp at public areas take quite a bit of effort i guess. theres a reason why most hookups are at illegal spots. because the legal ones are devoid of fish.

but dont give up. use each luring session as practice (at least thats what i do). and remember that in life (or at least in singapore), no such thing as sure catch...or else it wouldn't be sport fishing.

all the best.
  • Seck
    I went to those illegal spot at lpr. What type of retrieve does fish normally react to? I am new to luring and so far still no catch . Haha
  • fishynatic
    spin-fly works the best.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    One of the things, you can try is go a little bit earlier, just before sunrise helps.

It's breakfast time and your leader is also less visible.

And like one of the posters said, you have to keep at it - again, I would go earlier.
  • Seck
    Ok I shall go earlier next time. Spin fly work best by using which retrieve?
  • JayCz
    there isn't any spots in singapore that will assure you with 'sure-catch' that's why you gotta keep trying, this way you'll be exposed to more places and if you're lucky enough you might even find a place full of fishes and call it 'spot-x' yourself haha!

yup, like ^ said, try going before sunrise and sunset. that's the best time!
  • fishynatic
    Seck" said:
    Ok I shall go earlier next time. Spin fly work best by using which retrieve?
    fast retrieve with twitches. make it look like fleeting baitfish lah. what fish gonna let them eat up rite. so when u lure n in happens theres fish there and u r making the lure fleeing. or some slow presentation that is for ambush predators. sort off. try till u get the idea.
  • Seck
    I see.. What colour should I buy for the spin fly
  • Silverfox
    From the picture of your lures, just curious why ALL your lures are tied with mono lines? i suppose those are leaders? guess you may got a not-so-good way of connecting your lures, as this may greatly affect the swimming action of your lures.

This wat i do - main line (8lb fireline) FG knotted to 60cm leader (20lb soft flourocarbon mono) tied to a swivel and swivel hooked to a clip and this clip will clip on to the eye of the lures, that makes changing and keeping of lures much easier. Swimming also natural.
  • Michael Lim
    Silverfox" said:
    From the picture of your lures, just curious why ALL your lures are tied with mono lines? i suppose those are leaders? guess you may got a not-so-good way of connecting your lures, as this may greatly affect the swimming action of your lures.

This wat i do - main line (8lb fireline) FG knotted to 60cm leader (20lb soft flourocarbon mono) tied to a swivel and swivel hooked to a clip and this clip will clip on to the eye of the lures, that makes changing and keeping of lures much easier. Swimming also natural.
    Actually, this is where you are wrong. A snap swivel allows you to change easily but at the expense of the lure action.

The best action comes when you tie a light leader to the lure directly either tightly to a split ring or loosely via a loop knot to the eye of the lure.

You can try out the actions at the waterside with both such connections and you will see the difference. :D
  • Silverfox
    Michael Lim" said:
    [quote="Silverfox"]From the picture of your lures, just curious why ALL your lures are tied with mono lines? i suppose those are leaders? guess you may got a not-so-good way of connecting your lures, as this may greatly affect the swimming action of your lures.

Actually, this is where you are wrong. A snap swivel allows you to change easily but at the expense of the lure action.

The best action comes when you tie a light leader to the lure directly either tightly to a split ring or loosely via a loop knot to the eye of the lure.

You can try out the actions at the waterside with both such connections and you will see the difference. :D[/quote]

A swivel will prevent twisting of the mainline if is just tying a loop knot. The clip itself is for ease of connection.

In my own opinion, if will to use a light leader, might as well i not use any leader, my leader is always 200% poundage higher than the mainline due to kiasu-ness nature in me 8)
  • Ammonia
    upr is always wiped out by baiters , not really productive but worth a try. Would suggest spin fly and rubbers there. Got a peacock bass on sammy recently . Sometimes there are feeding frenzy from school of juvenile temensis, it was really fun catching those small temensis on spin fly.

• Phook
    Silverfox" said:
    [quote="Michael Lim"][quote="Silverfox"]From the picture of your lures, just curious why ALL your lures are tied with mono lines? i suppose those are leaders? guess you may got a not-so-good way of connecting your lures, as this may greatly affect the swimming action of your lures.

You can try out the actions at the waterside with both such connections and you will see the difference. :D[/quote]

A swivel will prevent twisting of the mainline if is just tying a loop knot. The clip itself is for ease of connection.

In my own opinion, if will to use a light leader, might as well i not use any leader, my leader is always 200% poundage higher than the mainline due to kiasu-ness nature in me 8)[/quote]

It's true a swivel will affect the lure action, but how much that affects a fish bite I think that is an unknown.

I don't see anything wrong with using a light leader, just a few pounds heavier than ur main line will do for me. For the size of freshwater fish we have in our waters, dun really need heavy leaders.

Anyway the functions of a leader, especially FC, is more than just providing strength. And based on my experience, the weight of leaders will also affect casting distance.

To each his own I guess.
  • Seck
    Is this spin fly?

• Silverfox
    Phook" said:
    [quote="Silverfox"]

In my own opinion, if will to use a light leader, might as well i not use any leader, my leader is always 200% poundage higher than the mainline due to kiasu-ness nature in me 8)
    It's true a swivel will affect the lure action, but how much that affects a fish bite I think that is an unknown.

I don't see anything wrong with using a light leader, just a few pounds heavier than ur main line will do for me. For the size of freshwater fish we have in our waters, dun really need heavy leaders.

Anyway the functions of a leader, especially FC, is more than just providing strength. And based on my experience, the weight of leaders will also affect casting distance.

To each his own I guess.[/quote]

8) as i mentioned, due to my kiasu-ness nature, my leaders are heavy, sometimes heavier than my sinkers :lol: cheers
  • Silverfox
    Seck" said:
    Is this spin fly?
    This is a trailer treble, normally attached to the rear of your lure as an attractant.

Spin fly = attach a fly with a sinker or split shot to the leader to enhance casting and sub-surface luring to a spinning setup.

If you are using a BC setup, it is call a Busy (BC) fly, 8)

See your PM 8)
  • xiaodhanan
    went to lpr recently also. lured but not a single catch. saw some uncles using live catfish . his live bait swim untill kena crossline with mine. headache. aniways this place kinda depleted .
  • Michael Lim
    Well, once I dropped the line poundage and downsized most of my gears, the catch rate has increased quite a bit. Esp. when I am fishing ultralight lures.

My main is 6lb braid and a 10lb fluorocarbon leader connects with a single snap. Previously, I tried using 4lb fluorocarbon direct to a single small snap. Both gives pretty good result in my opinion. At least much better than previously when I was using 10lb braid and 20lb leaders...
  • bigbASS_HUNTER
    Hi Guys,

Im not saying wat but LPR now is like "sucks"
    to the core especially when the water levels are down.

Your better off getting bites at USR,LSR,Bedok and pandan.
    At the legal areas of cos. LPR and MAC legal spots
    are quite a pathetic story.

For LPR, who the hell choose a location with rocks as their
    legal area. If the rocks are like a slope like PANDAN or BEDOK
    nevermind, but rocks are straight and its more for detering anglers
    anglers rather allowing anglers to fish.
    If the water's high, lures get stuck. If the
    waters low, need to stand on those rocks to fish which
    is very dangerous even to those frequent anglers.

For MAC, its a bloody joke. You'll have nearly 100% hook-ups
    on those cables and/or the kayakers. This legal spot is
    by far the worst of them all.

Sometimes im not convinced that our authorities have actually
    talk or even ask our avid anglers opinion in choosing a legal spot.
  • Hazar TeamGFB
    bigbASS_HUNTER" said:
    Hi Guys,

Totally agree with you bigbASS_HUNTER, MAC is far worse than any other legal spots, I am not surprise people will choose bait over lure, and if you cross abit way off the legal side, the authorities will happily come over and disturb you.
  • coolzone991
    Hi all. From what I have heard the uncles always there 4pm plus and they use the earth eater from a nearby pond... I think LPR needs a "reset" button...
  • phiten
    Silverfox" said:
    [quote="Phook"][quote="Silverfox"]

To each his own I guess.[/quote]

8) as i mentioned, due to my kiasu-ness nature, my leaders are heavy, sometimes heavier than my sinkers :lol: cheers[/quote]

what kind of lure are u using? why u worry about the twisting???
    If u had agreed to the loss of action on lure, won't it affect the hookup rate? Light leader will give u more abrasion resistance than no leader or just pure braid.

Thinner lines give u better bite detection if u are using finesse or worm techniques. Singapore fish are finicky enough from all pressure. Downsizing my presentation has be a good way for me get fish to bite.
    Especially when water is clear.

Anyways if you decide to keep doing what is like is fine. Cause to each his own. :badgrin:
  • Seck
    Hiannzz... Still no hook up at all till now since starting of Nov when i started luring. Places i been to is lpr,br,pd. Lure used when i go there are chugbug, popper and minnows. Is it the place or ?
  • Michael Lim
    Seck" said:
    Hiannzz... Still no hook up at all till now since starting of Nov when i started luring. Places i been to is lpr,br,pd. Lure used when i go there are chugbug, popper and minnows. Is it the place or ?
    Just keep trying. There is no definite answers. The other day I tried out the new legal grounds of BR, but drew a blank too. Probably wrong time, wrong area or the fishes are over-stressed. hahah
  • azariel
    Michael Lim" said:
    [quote="Seck"]Hiannzz... Still no hook up at all till now since starting of Nov when i started luring. Places i been to is lpr,br,pd. Lure used when i go there are chugbug, popper and minnows. Is it the place or ?
    Just keep trying. There is no definite answers. The other day I tried out the new legal grounds of BR, but drew a blank too. Probably wrong time, wrong area or the fishes are over-stressed. hahah[/quote]

agree with Michael. as mentioned earlier, no such thing as sure catch one wad. if not might as well pay money go pond or offshore. luring is a different art entirely. even at a legal zone, there might be areas you wanna aim and cast out for.
  • Seck
    haha desperate for my first catch! tmr will go to pandan at 7:30am
  • phiten
    i would think surface presentation could be the toughest to get the fish to bite. I would think u could start of with scented rubbers.
    Seck" said:
    haha desperate for my first catch! tmr will go to pandan at 7:30am
  • aloysiustjj
    bigbASS_HUNTER" said:
    Hi Guys,

Brother, have you seen serangoon river's legal spot? you will vomit more blood man. They make it into something like punggol marina country club seawall.. The height almost the same, ask you lure there. HAHA! Joke of the year for PUB..
  • Orangezip
    Hi. 4lb flurocarbon does it cause any issue during luring? Thx
    Michael Lim" said:
    Well, once I dropped the line poundage and downsized most of my gears, the catch rate has increased quite a bit. Esp. when I am fishing ultralight lures.

My main is 6lb braid and a 10lb fluorocarbon leader connects with a single snap. Previously, I tried using 4lb fluorocarbon direct to a single small snap. Both gives pretty good result in my opinion. At least much better than previously when I was using 10lb braid and 20lb leaders...