when to "strike" (pond fishing) ?

myhome50
edited December 2012 in General Fishing
Pasir ris main pond fishing. How does one differentiate between a big fish and those nuisance small fish bite?
Have seen people cast as far as possible and slowly reel back. When a real fish bite, they "strike", but sometimes they seem to know when small fish(those thousands of tilapia in the pond) bite and they don't "strike".
How does a "real" fish bite feel
and how does those tilapia fish bite differs ?

Most of the time, i get those small fish bite and try to "strike" and get nothing :-(

Many many thanks in advance. Any help/comments greatly appreciated :-)

Those experience one will know when exactly to "strike"
  • Michael Lim
    A take from the predators will be different, it's more definite and a lot harder than the nibbles from the tilapias.
  • excalibur
    myhome50" said:
    Pasir ris main pond fishing. How does one differentiate between a big fish and those nuisance small fish bite?
    Have seen people cast as far as possible and slowly reel back. When a real fish bite, they "strike", but sometimes they seem to know when small fish(those thousands of tilapia in the pond) bite and they don't "strike".
    How does a "real" fish bite feel
    and how does those tilapia fish bite differs ?

Most of the time, i get those small fish bite and try to "strike" and get nothing :-(

Many many thanks in advance. Any help/comments greatly appreciated :-)

Those experience one will know when exactly to "strike"
    If in doubt, STRIKE first, ponder later..
  • Jennison
    If a big fish have taken your line. Your line will be for sure screaming
  • FRiEDfish
    Big Ang Cho have tendency to cautious and nibble on baits . Nibbling might not be only tilapias. So be patient, if it is a big ang cho once it takes your bait it will make itself accountable with the all the line peeling out rapidly out of your reel .

KBL and grouper takes have more impact . Once they take , they will run .
  • dermarko
    For the Red Snappers at Pasir Ria main pond, I noticed that sometimes when the Red Snappers takes the bait, it does not swim off immediately like some of the other fishes..Only when you try to reel back the line do you feel the put, therefore you gotta give it a jerk or a strike to set the hook in.. It happens to me a few times already..
  • MachoMarlin
    If you feel the nibbling, don't strike, instead loosen your line by abbout 2-4ft, let it feel less resistance. Wait for 3-4 seconds, then slowly reel in the slack line, try to 'feel' the end, if it is a biggie, it would have swallowed and start to resist by swimming away, then STRIKE! if you continue to feel nibbles and nothing on, those are the small frys.

Loosen/ feeding or lines are for skittish fellas who had a fear of being hooked again (bad experience), or those who just grabbed onto the bait (but not the hook yet), BUT not recommended for people who do C&R, cause even with circle hook, there is a higher chance of getting gut hooked.
  • fishynatic
    MachoMarlin" said:
    If you feel the nibbling, don't strike, instead loosen your line by abbout 2-4ft, let it feel less resistance. Wait for 3-4 seconds, then slowly reel in the slack line, try to 'feel' the end, if it is a biggie, it would have swallowed and start to resist by swimming away, then STRIKE! if you continue to feel nibbles and nothing on, those are the small frys.

Loosen/ feeding or lines are for skittish fellas who had a fear of being hooked again (bad experience), or those who just grabbed onto the bait (but not the hook yet), BUT not recommended for people who do C&R, cause even with circle hook, there is a higher chance of getting gut hooked.
    my dad taught me that and also to loosen the line when park, thats when the marker came along. he said when the marker move, indicates the fish has taken the bait, then slowly reel in n feel and your method comes next. :) but i prefer rubbering in ponds. haha
  • roosterpop
    Many people spin prawn at PRPP..

Like what you said cast out prawn and reel back.. Have saw and experienced success with this method..

Baiting and parking also works, but I feel lesser chance than spinning..

So usually I'll spin until tired and rest and park, when got energy again start spinning:)
  • Greyfin
    Look for the swirls of water near your bait (if you are certain where your bait is). The bigger ripples/swirls generally indicate a bigger fish is nearby - movement can cause disturbances in the water, especially when the fish open their mouths and water is sucked in.