CR:Sibu@19~21May'05

Anonymous
edited June 2005 in Catch Reports
Organized this trip from 19~21/May'05...The team consisted of 10pax and we drove four cars there. Two friends from Hong Kong purposely flew here to join us, as they have never tried fishing from a kelong before. :smt052

First day 19/May arrived at the kelong just before lunch, immediately we set up a live bait well using a power-head to draw water from the sea. There were plenty of bait fishes to jig, in just less than 30mins the well was filled with bait fishes(tambans, selars, kembongs, kunnings..etc).

We used quite a lot of fishing techniques i.e. bottom, mid-water, surface with floats, live baiting and drift etc. The water was quite clear until we could see Amberjacks and GTs chasing after bait fishes. We tried lures, popping and jigs but these buggers simply not interested in any of it. Towards the late afternoon my surf outfit received a tug and within seconds the 6600LD screamed.
Second day 20/May, as usual, everybody got up quite early and started the whole cycle again. The ladies were enjoying themselves with jigging, hooking pei tors and selar papans. While the men were doing bottoms, live baiting, surf castings and pole fishing. Both my Honky friends were quite good on pole and PTK fishing and they caught quite a bit. The day seems promising with scotching sun, I got sunburn even with suntan lotions applied...Everything seems quiet, except the ladies laughing away entertaining themselves with those pei tors and selar papans....That's one good thing you guys must learned, keep your missies busy with something easy to handle and entertaining for them. They will leave you alone for the rest of the day... :smt041 The afternoon was hot, no big fun for the guys and we keep our mood high with couple of beers and stouts. At about 4pm, one of the surf outfits screamed...it was from cousin's ABU10000 and Penn Powergraph.
Apparently I was just beside the pole, I gripped it and gave a heavy jerk to set hook....the line peel even faster and I gradually tightening the drags....Shouted to my cousin to bring water, and he came running with a bottle and started pouring water onto the reels. I passed him the rod...he continued the fight, the fish was still stripping lots of line and we could sensed this was a huge bugger. That bugger gave a few fast runs...moments later the line slackened, my cousin quickly retrieved. Alamak!!! This time another "0"...wah liao ehhhhhhhhhh....!!! Very disappointed, the crowd dispersed cursing on the my cousin's luck... :smt075 Hahaha, as this was he's second in a row on this kelong where he lost a biggy on previous trip. his ABU Rocket was almost stripped clean.
We specifically told him to better get a "flower bath" before the next trip. The actions never really stopped after that....immediately after dinner, while I was still sitting at the dining area...One of the kelong staff approached me and told me there was a hooked up. :smt031 I quickly ran towards my pole and I saw the other kelong staff fighting with my ABU10K Sabre outfit. He passed it back to me and I continued the fight, this time everyone was praying and kept on stressing that we must landed this bugger. I could see from the distance silhouette, a Cobia surfacing and the experience kelong staffs also confirmed from it. And it went on perfectly, the Cobia was subdued and I hauled it up the kelong with my powerful Sabre.

Took a couple of pictures and estimated it's weight to be 3~4kgs...and I decided to CnR. The cobia was placed in the live bait well for "CPR" revival. I drew the hose and shafted it into the mouth, and let the water flows for almost 2mins. It came back strong and immediately after that, off it went back to the sea again. Well, results: Fish "2", Human "1"

Final day. As we have already packed up most of the stuffs and only left with one or two surf outfits and some light tackles. I got tired with the live baiting, so I passed it to my buddy Lau San to play with it. I was almost 20ft away from him, I could hear a sizzling sound from the background...Unbelieving to my eyes, it was my Calcutta50 my buddy holding on fighting a unknown. We thought it could be a GAR(todak), but it didn't seems like it as the bugger was deep diving and far out towards the open. I was quite confident with my CT50, because it was loaded with 20lbs spectra braided. We could see the thread peeling fast, Lau San used his thumb trying to stop the spool but that bugger wasn't respond to any of his action. It went on spear heading until it crossed the path of my surf outfit ABU10000 and Sabre pole. The Abu10K was too peeling along with that bugger...moments after that, Lau San felt a jerk...and the fish was gone. We thought that the leader gave way and broke, but after retrieving back the lines everything was still intact...It could have been a Cuda, a Mac, Tenggiri, GTs???? What a FISH!!! ](*,)
Results: Fish "3", Human "1"

We had lunch, could see that everyone was still happy after all even though no BIG fishes were successfully hooked up. I guess it's the atmosphere, the food and a bunch of good company to made it nothing less then what it was called a "Wonderful and Fruitful trip".

More pictures are shown below…

The Pei Tors group

The Pasar Malam

The Team and me

The Team
  • Anonymous
    more pict

• erio
    Picture of the team in action.
  • Bernie81
    Sorry may I ask which kelong did you guys went to, I know its Sibu's Kelong but whose kelong did you guys went?? n when fishing in the kelong with surf outfit, what is the suitable main line poundage , hook size, need to use wire leader n so on....

Regards
    Aric
  • Anonymous
    Bernie81" said:
    Sorry may I ask which kelong did you guys went to, I know its Sibu's Kelong but whose kelong did you guys went?? n when fishing in the kelong with surf outfit, what is the suitable main line poundage , hook size, need to use wire leader n so on....

Regards
    Aric
    Rigs used:
    Surfcasting Rigs for Sibu

Main line 20~30lbs, mono or braided. Baits are those bait fishes you can jig at the kelong. Frequent Ah Yu and Ah Fatt kelong.
  • Melvin Lee
    Bro,

your pic of the fishes lines up together makes me think of those executioners in world war 2. :lol:

Cheers.
  • Anonymous
    Melvin Lee" said:
    Bro,

your pic of the fishes lines up together makes me think of those executioners in world war 2. :lol:

Cheers.
    Er...executioner: the person who carries out the duty of execution...you mean the PoW :smt017

They were 'shot' dead :smt067 anyway, I don't think they mind to be shot another :smt068 :smt070 :smt071
    :smt081
  • erio
    OK, finally got it right. Some pictures to prove some of Jack's above statement \:D/

• Anonymous
    erio" said:
    Me the unlucky one on the rod....Anyway if Jack is watching, usually nobody will successfully land any fish (Our Curse)
    Bro Eric,

Please lah...you must go flower bath before you go Sibu next time! :smt076 Next time I stay away ok, don't cry for :smt100 hor...

A bad worker always blame the tools hor... :smt021
This discussion has been closed.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2020