Fish lor gor?

TycoZer
edited September 2011 in General Fishing
Whats the actual reason for fish being lor gor?
been wondering for sometime already..
can anyone please enlighten me?
  • fishynatic
    fated? born with it? old age?
  • BlurBear
    lor gor in english is ?
  • btwk
    it depends on why it's lor gor.
    Sometimes u go wet market buy ang gao above 5kg, the meat ( fillet), you go home steam, u eat the skin also chewy.
    1 reason is because the fish that they sell, came from for example ( indonesia), the malay fishermen go out sea 3d2n (eg.) + they come to singapore another 1 day already 4 days. & when the local fishmonger go jurong fish port buy fish & come back sell to customer (WE). if they today never sell finish, they store in freezer, the next day sell again. As time goes by, maybe we buy that piece of (fillet) already 1 week. that's why lor gor.

however, sometimes is because the fish too big / old? this is also 1 reason why lor gor.

i think so only! don't blame me for mistakes T_T
  • fishynatic
    but then again, what fish u refer to as lo kor?
  • vincelin2662
    TycoZer" said:
    Whats the actual reason for fish being lor gor?
    been wondering for sometime already..
    can anyone please enlighten me?

***Hi bro Zer,it's the food each individual fish consumed n the environment they r in tat makes them "Lor Kor".....It can happen on any fishes.....*** :smt102 :smt102 :smt102

Jus my 1 ct info,I could b wrong..... :-# :-# :-#

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

vincelin2662, :fishing:
  • vincelin2662
    BlurBear" said:
    lor gor in english is ?

***Hi bro,soly my english nt beri gd n chim,I tink is "stale" or "unpalatable",sometin like tat la..... :smt017 :smt017 :smt017......

Jus my 1 ct knowledge...... :smt102 :smt102 :smt102

• Fisher_of_man
    btwk" said:
    it depends on why it's lor gor.
    Sometimes u go wet market buy ang gao above 5kg, the meat ( fillet), you go home steam, u eat the skin also chewy.
    1 reason is because the fish that they sell, came from for example ( indonesia), the malay fishermen go out sea 3d2n (eg.) + they come to singapore another 1 day already 4 days. & when the local fishmonger go jurong fish port buy fish & come back sell to customer (WE). if they today never sell finish, they store in freezer, the next day sell again. As time goes by, maybe we buy that piece of (fillet) already 1 week. that's why lor gor.

however, sometimes is because the fish too big / old? this is also 1 reason why lor gor.

i think so only! don't blame me for mistakes T_T
    Haha, I don't think so..if I understand Lor Gor as when the fish will bend itself when cooked. I fried a Tilapia that died less than 3 hours and was bled and iced immediately, and the tail went up almost 90 degrees when fried.lol

But one observation is that the fish had really little meat, compared to market bought Tilapias. This is probably because commercial farms might breed selected "elite" genes, and also being fed with formulated fish food. The Tiliapia was quite small in size.
  • Benster
    lor gor = rubber fish :lol:

from my experience it seems to happen most frequently with coral fish, especially qiu ni gao ('fake coral trout') and big coral trout above 4kg. I have also experienced it with farmed groupers around 3kg.

I caught a very big tee boon (spanish flag snapper, 1kg) once, and when I steamed it, I couldn't even poke my fork into it! It nearly bounced off the plate :cry:

I have never experienced it with pelagic fish (mackerel, trevally, tuna) though.

I think it's something to do with rigor mortis (hardening of muscles upon death)

Rigor Mortis in fish

http://nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/animal/5D.pdf

http://forums.chef2chef.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60387
  • MachoMarlin
    Sorry, I cannot help laughing at some of your innovative descriptions of of lor gor fish,....like 'stale', 'rubber fish'...these description are all so true! :lol: :lol:

Lor gor fish is a funny thing, big or small, even from the same school can yield some lor gor and some don't....... this seemed to hit more on Spanish flag snappers, rabbit fish, quite regularly groupers and afew other sporadic species.

In the market was told that if you fold the tail tip, if it doesn't break and feels rubbery, it will be lor gor,...but so far I'm still not experienced enough to tell the diff... :oops:

After cooking the fish will curl up like a banana, and skin will be tough like rhino hides, and the meat is hard like dried cardboard..... how do we actually eat them? At least, my grandma did something to this fish that up to now we still do, especially the rabbit fish. After frying pull off the skin and cut it to strips, and tear out all the meat,....then put it into fish porridge....Lai Mang Chok (in Cantonese)...siok!!! :badgrin:
  • mulloway
    the following is my understanding of lor gor or "tough hide fish with rubber flesh".

I spear a lot and hence i get to observe the fishes behaviour and characteristics more. fishes that hangs around coral reefs and hides in holes tends to be lor gor, fishes that doesn't move much or are lazy will be lor gor. Stripey snapper aka spanish flag aka Tee Boon with dark lines will be lor gor, golden snapper that is long and thin will be lor gor. coral trout among rocks and sand will be ok but those found near corals and sand will be lor gor.

i think due to lack of exercise, the flesh becomes hard like chicken breast. pelagics won't be lor gor because they swim all the time.
  • Benster
    mulloway" said:
    i think due to lack of exercise, the flesh becomes hard like chicken breast. pelagics won't be lor gor because they swim all the time.
    this is a very good theory. :D

seems that fish are the opposite of chickens... caged chickens = tender flesh, free range/kampong chickens that run around = rubbery flesh :lol:
  • PunggolKaki
    The fishes you buy at market and caught at fishing ponds are bred at kelong one.The kelong owners feed the fishes genes/chemicals :snakeman: to make the fishes grow faster (lets say normal kbl takes 8 mths,after giving genes,kbl only needs 5 mths)..Thats why you can taste the difference when you eat market sold/paypond fishes and when you eat fresh caught fishes...oh yea,info provided by a relative of fish farm owner ah,so wrong mai blame me also :?
  • TycoZer
    does it mean that freshwater fish will be lor gor? they definitely do less swimming than saltwater fishes without having to swim against current or do migrating . i know of a friend who steamed a orh peh and it became lor gor... and the lazy fishes tend to be lor gor dont seems to apply to soon hock? :roll: :lol:
  • Fisher_of_man
    Freshwater fish do migrate also. But it seems that fishes that swims and hunts more seem to be more tough and chewy, like Swordfish and sharks. Seems like it may have much to do with their diet?

On the other hand, fish like Patin, Pacu, Carps and Gouramies have much softer meat?
  • premium2
    Well, my guess go down to the genetic theory just like human being, when a 'O' group type inter-mate with another 'O' group, it'll produce 'O' group, where a 'O' mate with a 'A' group, it'll produce either 'O' or 'A'. But when a 'A' mate with a 'B' type, it can produce a 'A', 'B' or a 'AB' & can never product a 'O' group.

Presumably lor gor is 'A' group in human, when it inter mate with other groups, it off spring can become a lor gor or not a lor gor fish.

Hey that my guessing only lah, don't bash me ok.. :D :D :D
  • Fisher_of_man
    haha, any bio students here?
  • premium2
    Benster" said:
    [quote="mulloway"]
    seems that fish are the opposite of chickens... caged chickens = tender flesh, free range/kampong chickens that run around = rubbery flesh :lol:
    [/quote]

Wander what will it becaome when a caged chicken inter breed with a kampong chicken = ????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • vincelin2662
    premium2" said:
    [quote="Benster"][quote="mulloway"]
    Wander what will it becaome when a caged chicken inter breed with a kampong chicken = ????? :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][/quote]

***Aiya :smt076 .....bro,it wil stil b an egg,Y :smt017 ??? Cos both r chicken(hen) :smt117 ,kekekekeke :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:......u need a rooster 2 fertilize :smt057 the egg then it can turn into a hen or cock.....n if both caged X breed = Domestic Fowl la :smt117 ,so EZ :smt102 ......hahahahaha :smt042 :smt042 :smt042 :smt042 :smt042 :smt042..........***

Jus a joke......bro......:bump: :bump: :bump:.......

• premium2
    vincelin2662" said:
    [quote="premium2"][quote="Benster"][quote="mulloway"]
    Wander what will it becaome when a caged chicken inter breed with a kampong chicken = ????? :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

***Aiya :smt076 .....bro,it wil stil b an egg,Y :smt017 ??? Cos both r chicken(hen) :smt117 ,kekekekeke :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:......u need a rooster 2 fertilize :smt057 the egg then it can turn into a hen or cock.....n if both caged X breed = Domestic Fowl la :smt117 ,so EZ :smt102 ......hahahahaha :smt042 :smt042 :smt042 :smt042 :smt042 :smt042..........***

Jus a joke......bro......:bump: :bump: :bump:.......

[/quote][/quote]

Stupid me :weedman:, definately a egg mah :smt023 hahaha...or isit a hybrid egg :recycle: :smt017 :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
  • TycoZer
    Fisher_of_man" said:
    Freshwater fish do migrate also. But it seems that fishes that swims and hunts more seem to be more tough and chewy, like Swordfish and sharks. Seems like it may have much to do with their diet?

On the other hand, fish like Patin, Pacu, Carps and Gouramies have much softer meat?
    fishes like qingyi , shumei and white pomfret do swim quite a far bit and hunt too.. but their meat still soft leh... :lol:
  • Fisher_of_man
    TycoZer" said:
    [quote="Fisher_of_man"]Freshwater fish do migrate also. But it seems that fishes that swims and hunts more seem to be more tough and chewy, like Swordfish and sharks. Seems like it may have much to do with their diet?

fishes like qingyi , shumei and white pomfret do swim quite a far bit and hunt too.. but their meat still soft leh... :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, haha, that's why its probably due to their diet rather than whether they are pelagic or bottom dwelling.
  • mulloway
    as i mentioned before, lor gor only affect certain fishes, mostly fishes that hangs around corals. qingyi will never be lor gor as they hang around sandy area. small coral trouts will never be lor gor. big coral trouts around 5kg might be lor gor as they hang around corals more. all wrasses and parrots have mushy flesh so i doubt they'll ever be lor gor. big ang chos also have a tendancy to be lor gor as they don't move as much as the smaller ones. i've shot a 8kg ang chor and it was so tough, we had to eat it with fork and knife. and surprisingly the 10+kg ang kuay was very tender, maybe it was from a wreck and no corals nearby.
  • cornucopiae
    edited February 19
    i hope by now we know 'lor gor' is what in English is actually known as fish rigor mortis (like humans and living organisms); "just as everything else that dies, fish also undergo a period of rigor mortis, known as rigor, after slaughter. Once rigor sets in, the muscle contracts, the fish becomes stiff, inflexible and its texture hardens. A fish in this condition is difficult to process without a producing a product of lower quality"

I feel that the japanese process of inserting a metal piece (ike jime) or Shinkei Jime through the nerve / brain of the fish is to prevent the occurrence of rigor mortis in the fish or it may be related in some way. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikejime

so in english lor gor means rigor mortis. hope this helps