need more info on sembawang canal

shingo
edited May 2013 in General Fishing
hi guys. have anyone been to this sembawang canal to fish b4? its in the middle of admiralty and sembawang where u can see frm the train. quite alot of ppl fishing there on weekends. and heard tat its sea and fresh water mixed. care to share any info on wat fishes r there. ty[/b]
  • icemilo
    the longkang very near to 3M company and hdb flats is that the one u talking abt?
  • shingo
    yes just beside the hdb blks
  • icemilo
    oic happen to passby there saw some ah laus fishing jap fish
  • fishynatic
    shingo" said:
    yes just beside the hdb blks
    u say got people caught baracudan 5kg with lures...
  • shingo
    ya when it hightide further in near the temple i saw the pictures my uncle showed me
  • fishynatic
    shingo" said:
    ya when it hightide further in near the temple i saw the pictures my uncle showed me
    u got the pictures? can upload bro? i got the pic of the kbl n the tilapia fish.. i will upload later.. theres no temple around the canal which we are talking.. if u say further up senoko, maybe there is.. it leads directly from the sea..
  • fishynatic
    the fishes caught by the poeple there..

• fishynatic
    too the uncle didnt get to bring up the milkfish which fought greatly, if not im able to show the pics.. hahaa
  • shingo
    sorry bro the pics r not wif me. but my uncle is a regular there hes there almost everyday. the cuda was landed at nite so r the kbl. guess theres quite a handful of actions going on. anyway i live just walking distance to the canal. any kakis living in sembawang?
  • fishynatic
    shingo" said:
    sorry bro the pics r not wif me. but my uncle is a regular there hes there almost everyday. the cuda was landed at nite so r the kbl. guess theres quite a handful of actions going on. anyway i live just walking distance to the canal. any kakis living in sembawang?
    I every sat fish there.. catch n laugh at the tilapia n release.. lol
  • yutchies
    wah did'nt noe there got decent size fishes. use to always go there to look see only. the water level there quite low, i mean very low during certain times..maybe i'll try spin fly there nxt time..=)
  • shingo
    lol... yes all cnr just wan the feel nia. mostly use pole and camp at the slope there under the shade. and yes if its high tide the canal water level will rise too and u might never noe u will have supprise catches.
  • classicbarb
    For me, I like to bring a foldable chair and sit and chill there for two to three hours watching the birds there while fishing. I'm a lousy fisherman lah, so I just target the cichlids there. Honestly, I prefer Sembawang Canal as a birdwatching site.

You can see Purple Herons, Black Crowned Night Herons, Egrets, Waterhens, all sorts of kingfishers and raptors.. All fishing alongside you! Once I saw a Brahminy Kite circling very low with a huge tilapia in its beak, but it dropped the fish and a Purple Heron immediately stole the kill.

But I believe there are huge fishes there. The strangest one I saw was one about 60cm long, looked like a carp, but was as blue as a parrotfish! Maybe I spent too much time under the sun that day lah.

• classicbarb
    Those who like to taopao Tilapias, Chromides or any other fishes, be careful. Sometimes, the water surface has a thick, oily sheen to it. Donno whether from factory discharge or not. Personally, I taopaoed back a few table-sized tilapias and chromides (but not the Mayan Cichlids) coz I'm a fan of deep-goreng chromide, but I don't recommend eating them regularly. Alot of the HDB residents and construction workers there treat the canal machiam rubbish dump.

• shingo
    wow good size. alot of the chinaman and bangalas put lengs and tabao the fishes home. bros which part of the canal u all fish?
  • fishynatic
    the truth is out.... shining bright.. heehee! i saw a freshwater catfish.. i think its a walking catfish as i look at the tail.. hahaha! tide really play a part there.
  • shingo
    maybe sunday going fish there
  • fishynatic
    sat im there... blue rod..
  • shingo
    sat working leh bro which part ur fishing at?
  • fishynatic
    shingo" said:
    sat working leh bro which part ur fishing at?
    i also working.. finish at 130pm, by the time i reach there maybe its at 3pm. i prefer fishing under the road where the so call waterbreaker/slope. there got shade mah... hahaha!
  • Kenn
    The canal is quite shallow throughout...the depth of the water is lower than waist length during low tides. that canal used to have japanese fish and tilapias around 1 kg long before the 2 bridges were built. i stopped fishing at the canal like 5 years ago. Not a good spot anymore after all those constructions. There is a big net used to trap rubbish placed under a bridge top to bottom at senoko area and at the end of the canal they placed a fence in the waters to deter intruders.I think these obstructions are preventing any big fishes from coming in.
  • shingo
    ahh i forgot this sunday i need to attend my fren's house warming. cant go already. oh yes any way the net have been removed i think. alot of big fishes just dun wanna open their mouth or maybe their already full. maybe can try go fish like 6 am - 9am. but siao ah so early need to sleep also >.<. went today at 11 low tide but slowly rising and fished till 3 alot of bites but just caught afew small ones.. but its still enjoyable. and got to noe a pinoy uncle sharing experiences lol.
  • Kenn
    The kbl catch is good , spotted giant herrings at there before..ate my prawn then jump out of water throw hook. its a good place for some relaxing fishing. Lots of ppl released their luohan fish when the luohan craze died down. they gave a good fight on light tackle...shiok :lol: ...For me i prefer to fish at the drain outlet near the bridge to 3M cuz lots of ppl like to go there to feed the fishes.
  • shingo
    ya there alot ppl go feed fish.. and theres shade also good place just tat alot of mosquito. and the place only can have ard 5 ppl. 5 ppl is already quite crowded liao.
  • fishynatic
    Kenn" said:
    The kbl catch is good , spotted giant herrings at there before..ate my prawn then jump out of water throw hook. its a good place for some relaxing fishing. Lots of ppl released their luohan fish when the luohan craze died down. they gave a good fight on light tackle...shiok :lol: ...For me i prefer to fish at the drain outlet near the bridge to 3M cuz lots of ppl like to go there to feed the fishes.
    hahaha n theres no fishing sign there.. LOL! giant herring is a nice catch!
  • shingo
    kenn bro u use dead prawn? until now haven see any herrings leh... or i suay lol. got no fishing sign also no use its always crowded wif ppl fishing there. so far i haven tried any lures there.
  • Kenn
    yea dead prawns brought from shop and save . . .i was fishing at the rocky slope at canberra sec there. . .then i got to know a fishingkaki there he told me to cast to the opposite side to catch them. haha its not u suay its just that it was few years ago already... I fished at the canal for many years and i only saw giant herring once only.
  • fishynatic
    went there at 5pm juz now. stopped ard 7plus when the skys dark. caught 5 tablesize tilapia ard a kilo each. fantastic fight! the rest of the fish which is around palm size was released with alot of respect given and coax them to be bigger next time. my fren brought back one. haahaa!
  • shingo
    nice bro cnr ftw anyway been busy... no time to go there also will go ease my ichy hands if i have the time.
  • HKS
    i wonder if the tilapias there takes flies :roll: