50's to 80's fresh water fishing ponds

• Derrick Lim
    MTT" said:
    wah, u KS to use so many hooks, targeting japanese fish maybe. If use cook tapioca or kng common use 3 hooks but if use raw tapioca then 5 hooks. cockroaches is always 3 hooks.
    Any shooters fish from "Golden Palace" in the 70S , I use to fish there for carps & songs and prawns at the edges.
    not targeting japanese fish la but guppies la
  • pmptyeo
    liusamuel" said:
    [quote="bond"][quote="liusamuel"]Hi all marker shooters,

if there is a competition just for marker shooters and can use max 2 hooks......

baits are only bread and kng, no live baits....

plus can use mono line only...

competition venue at FP....

somewhere in mid april...

want do u think?
    Good ideal bro....
    maybe only 4 ah lau....45 yo and above...hahaha...joking :badgrin:

Put place put time, put $$.....
    Maybe u can block off one section just 4 marker shooter so that
    others still can fish... :oops:[/quote]

it will be at fishing paradise date and time will be confirm ard early march...

need to know how is the respond and the competition will be by no of fish caught not the weight of fish.

diff fish, diff points.

if there is a competition then the whole pond for shoot markers anglers.

targeting 50-60 rods...

if respond very good then will organise on a regular basis... :D[/quote]

Wa..I definitely will qualify because:

a. Like AL Ghani, we will be hitting the big 5 this year, so above 45 la! :D

b. I will bring use my ABU 282 matched with my Daiwa 4300A, my retro fishing set! :p, all bought from Chop Hock Heng in 1975..rod at s$ 30 and reel as S$ 25, a lot of money during those days hor!

c. I still have my raw tapioca puncher, although a little bit rusty but still solid as well as my shaver for tapoica!

d. will also bring my Cardinal 44 matched with the ABU parazoom green colour rod, a gift from my brother-in-law..

Let's GO! :D
  • MTT
    I have just re-condition my Cardinal reel last month and plan to strip to re-condition my "DAM" 6ft rod.
    Can any shooters confirm time & location for FRESH WATER POND "AH LAU" to meet. Hope to be there b4 I returns to work in CHINA.
    Remember the old days of fighting a monster Songs - 7++kg at Golden palace, 15++kg at Ocean pond, 19++kg from Yio Chu Kang.
    Learn to fighting trick from "ah heng & ah gu" at YCK pond. They should be in their 60s now. During those days, every fishos hate "black face god" son of the ah lau at YCK pond. But their curry chicken rice is one of the best in SG. At times, we get some "TODI" coconut wine from those indians there, lots of trees producing it that surrounds all the pond.
    If you want to catch japanese fish, plenty and easy to hook on - just behind the pig hut with a bamboo rod with floater.
    S$1 for bamboo rod or hand line, S$2 for casting rod, S$3 to fish up to 10pm, all the fun old days, I am in my 50s now.
  • liusamuel
    yo bros,

most prob mid april will be the competition...

i will post more details somewhere after CNY...

the competition will most prob be most number of points. DIfferent fish different points...

Most prob Shimano will be sponsoring the prizes..

lets hope the mekongs will be ard 7-8kg by then. Most the mekongs ard 6+kg now..

cheers
    Samuel
  • his_princess
    Just to share some old photos from Modern Fishing Pond

Competition

Lady Boss

Fishing Rearing

Anglers Fishing

• FishingChua
    his_princess" said:
    Just to share some old photos from Modern Fishing Pond

Competition

Lady Boss

Fishing Rearing

Anglers Fishing

Wow! As far as I can see in your picture, everybody was using Mitchell reels. Their rods look like Abu. I used to use a 6' ABU 281 rod and an ABU Cardinal 44 reel. But I usually go to Seng Choon or Yew Choon.
  • bond
    Bro...thanks 4 the photos...
    bring back old memories :cry:

BTW....which year was the photo taken??
    Really ah-go-go type :roll:

Appreciate more photo here.....
  • goldenears68
    Wow...this thread brings fond memories...

yes, Spider.. i remember him.. if i'm not mistaken, he should be in his 60s by now..

While i do fish at Fishing Paradise at BTP, i hope they an consider using some of the baits that were mentioned in this thread..

hahaha..Abu 282...mine is still in mint condition... as for my cardinal 44.. had to throw away the reel alst year as i could not locate a spare spool.. my original spool broke..

Would be good if there's a day in which FP can organize a session for fishos of that era.. i would guess most of us were born earlier than 1970s.. 8)
  • FishingParadise
    goldenears68" said:

yes, Spider.. i remember him.. if i'm not mistaken, he should be in his 60s by now..

While i do fish at Fishing Paradise at BTP, i hope they an consider using some of the baits that were mentioned in this thread..

hahaha..Abu 282...mine is still in mint condition... as for my cardinal 44.. had to throw away the reel alst year as i could not locate a spare spool.. my original spool broke..

Would be good if there's a day in which FP can organize a session for fishos of that era.. i would guess most of us were born earlier than 1970s.. 8)
    yo bro,

what are the baits you will like to suggest? :D

cheers
    FP
  • his_princess
    bond" said:
    Bro...thanks 4 the photos...
    bring back old memories :cry:

BTW....which year was the photo taken??
    Really ah-go-go type :roll:

Appreciate more photo here.....
    Most welcome....

These photos should be taken around 1983 to 1985.. Not too sure. Too young then to remember.

Photos were retrieved during CNY gathering when all were remicising about those days where us as kids ran around barefoot.
    Running after the truck loads of fishes as they arrive.

Many photos were lost in the fishing pond years ago hence not many left.
  • FishingChua
    goldenears68" said:

What a waste! I could sell you some extra spool! I have spools for 33, 44, 66 and 77!
  • goldenears68
    Huh? you have the spools..

aiyo...should have known you earlier dah... :cry: the condition of my reel was 8.5/10!!! arghh...

had to stare at length before i could part with it... sigh..
  • goldenears68
    FishingParadise" said:
    [quote="goldenears68"]Wow...this thread brings fond memories...

yo bro,

what are the baits you will like to suggest? :D

cheers
    FP[/quote]

Hi Samuel

suggested in this thread are :

1. Cooked Tapioca
    2. Raw Tapioca
    3. Tapioca leaves / Kang kong leaves
    4. Cockroaches
    5. Earthworms
    6. Chicken liver
    7. Beef

How!? Can or not? Just for this group of gathering lah.. or competition if you want to called.. perhaps a Retro-Fishing Carnival..

Please don't target no later than 17 April... going out station..

:smt064
  • pakleow
    I must be old like uncle Harry...so late than see thread. Hmmm, had a quick scan...you got Serangoon Garden listed but none listed starlite...the pond at Yishun that you need to cut thru rubber estate and get robbed, ha ha ha....Anyway, the photo of bell bottoms and my song, carp, tomans...etc...the 70s. Oh btw, for bait, you miss out corn, the favourite Ng Kah Seng bait when the fence pond was fished by the Ang Mors who release after the day's catch and we couldn't understand CnR then...

Also the monster at Chap Seng and the monster at Asia and the premium centre pond of Asia...Ah Heng of Asia Fishing Pond, Ah Chong of Wu Ping - Saw him a number of years ago fishing Pasir Ris...

I still have my 271/2, 281/2, the Sucia zooms, the cardinals, mitchell 300s and 400s and the real five dot days at Orchard Road...the siow hong long and the Hock Heng that we knew...

• Tinker
    Peter, you look damn cute leh haha...must catch up sometime....If I dig harder, I may be able to find and scan some of the fishing photos....
  • FishingChua
    goldenears68" said:
    Huh? you have the spools..

aiyo...should have known you earlier dah... :cry: the condition of my reel was 8.5/10!!! arghh...

had to stare at length before i could part with it... sigh..
    Maybe it's predestined by heaven. 8.5/10 is pretty good condition. Mine are 9/10 and 10/10 (mint). Because some of them I've only used once. The only ABU 44 that is 7/10 is the 1975 model as it was the one I used the most.
  • pakleow
    Tinker" said:
    Peter, you look damn cute leh haha...must catch up sometime....If I dig harder, I may be able to find and scan some of the fishing photos....
    Ha ha now they call me fat uncle...thank God not bald...I guess in a few years time. We must all meet when we shoot marker...
  • bond
    Thanks guys.....

Anyone got photo with the ponds in the background?
    Singapore..Tampines YCK or any others.
  • Ultimate Angler
    Tinker" said:
    Happy CNY guys...ya man...can hold the song for pics some more.. :-& :rock: ..nice retro pics Peter..swee... :smt023
  • bond
    Hahahaha....got to knw YCK fishing pond's daughter and she pass me some photo. Color not so good...cos it's 60s or 70s.
    Will post few at a time.... :oops:

• Seabass
    So nostalgic, if still got those pond no need work already, can retire early and sell fish to market. Here are some photo I dig out from my papa's collection. Not big but are caught in payponds in late 80s...

• Seabass
    edited September 2010
    I like to rear them as pet, when they are rid of pond smell we disown them as pet to fill our tummy.

• Seabass
    He got trophy, my bro got trophy only I don't have

• Seabass
    Last time my papa banned me from catching toman cos I almost went into VIP pond in Modern after being pulled down a slope. No fair.... so after years of preparation I come out with catfish secret bait derived from his patin rig. Didn't get to use it, not many ponds have catfish.
    When I grow up, I decided to take part in NYLFC. So I dig out those rigs and experiment, still remember 6.8kg patin at NY Lake with my own team of Punggol fishos. 16 walking cats and a winning patin, not bad for a 6hr session.
    So those were the days my childhood was spent, mainly catching soon hock in Ah Gao's tilapia pond with handlines. Just before the ponds were gone, my father befriend Ah Ngeow and we got access to fish the VIP pond where they rear the big fish. No need pay but is CNR, cannot berley and can only use lure and freshwater shrimp. That's when I learn the consequences of not setting a proper drag.
    Just by the bait and the bite, we already know what is at the other end. I have very short attention span so decided to try Singapore shore.
    I start venturing the shores, looking at maps, studying sea terrain, practise some casting and hunt for my own bait. Never did I expect to like it more than pond fishing...

• bond
    Hi seabass....thanks for yr photo.
    Appreciate if u can tell me the name of the pond in photo:
    1. i like ponds
    2. pond king
    3. tapao king fishing.

Thank you :D
  • Ah Gu
    FishingChua" said:
    I've been to Seng Choon, Yew Choon, Singapore, Kranji, Ocean and many more. I was a Potong Pasir villager form 1958 to the early 1970s (I cannot remember the exact date). I was from Senett Estate Primary School (no longer existing) and later Victoria Secondary School. I started fishing in 1974, I was working part time at a construction site with my friends. I bought my fishing tackle at Chop Hock Heng. They were at Potong Pasir at that time. My first rod was an ABU 282 and my first reel was an ABU Cardinal 44. They were bought with my own money. My rod and reel are still with me now and they are in 99% good condition. Don't mistaken children who work at a young age to be poor in their studies. I topped in maths and English. As for Mandarin, I failed. This was because I came from a Hokkien family. My parents could not teach me English as they were uneducated and I was not good in Mandarin as nobody spoke it at home. A little surprised why I could do well in English and math right? This was because of a kind Malay neighbour of mine. He was a policeman. He believed that the young should be educated well. So from primary one, he volunteered to teach me English. He would come to our attap house several times a week to guide me in my studies. And as the teachers say, those who did well in English will have no problem in maths. So, I did not need anybody to help me in maths. In those days, the Kallang River was not canalised. There were many tributaries that were shallow and filled with fish! I remember that we had Kissing Gourami in those small drains. Whenever it rained, the river would flood and the bridge that once stood on top of the river vanished. Well only for a while until the water receeded. Sigh, those were the days... I will post my stories in another section of this forum if any of you want to hear more. ;)
    I thought those days Potong pasir was mostly a cantonese kampung..
    .. nice story... like!
  • Seabass
    bond" said:
    Hi seabass....thanks for yr photo.
    Appreciate if u can tell me the name of the pond in photo:
    1. i like ponds
    2. pond king
    3. tapao king fishing.

Thank you :D
    1&2 is White Sand fishing pond at Elias Road
    3rd is Modern fishing pond beside Paya Lebar Airbase
  • Seabass
    pmptyeo" said:
    Bro, if i am not mistaken, it's called Modern managed by Ah Kow and a few chaps. The track leading to the pond is called Lorong Baling. Before they converted into a SW pond, there used to be 2 ponds, both freshwater and one is opened on weekdays while the other is opened only on weekends from Saturday afternoons.

Landed many grassies and songs there ..good memories...guess it was the last of the Freshwater ponds in Tampines before they converted the weekend pond into a saltwater pond..before they gave up when PRMP opened in 1992 if I am not mistaken.
    There are actually 5 ponds.
    Behind the counter - 1 tilapia pond for Ah Gao to do his business. (not suitable for fishing)
    In front of counter - 1 tilapia pond that has alot of soon hock hiding in wooden plank.
    Left of counter - grassy/ song fish pond 1
    Behind soon hock pond - grassy/ song fish pond 2
    Behind the pond 2 (VIP pond)- Surrounded by fence and galvanised zinc roofing. There's only 1 pavillion and its at the bottom of a slope, everywhere is very tall grass about 1m high. I walk I can't even see a single thing, had to stay near the pavillion and slope areas. You have every single kind of fish in it but bite rate low because they feed it all the time
  • MTT
    Lor Baling pond is run by Ah Chong ( wear glasses) he runs piping busniess
  • MTT
    Potong Pasir is famous for the big cow pond. The small fishing pond there have 2 ponds operating in the early 70s. One is narrow and long but very deep, the other one is bigger with one side having a high wall. Cast near the wall and it's a good spot.
    Many fishing kakis might have forgot abt the pond near the jail in Margaret Drive.