50's to 80's fresh water fishing ponds

bond
edited October 2015 in General Fishing
To all ALs.....we can start our old fishing story here.
if possible...try to up load some old photos here too.

Trying to remember those fishing ponds...pls add.

Yio Chu Kang Fishing Pond
Chiap Seng FP
Red Mire FP
Ocean FP

Tampines Fishing Pond
Singapore FP
Wu Pin FP
Modern FP
Pasir Ris FP
Oriental FP

Ng Tiong Choon Fishing Pond

Neo Tiew Fishing Pond
Kranji FP

Potong Pasir Fishing Pond

Please add.....

Cheers
  • forty_feet
    Didn't know last time had so many fishing pond in sg. I only knew abt the tampines pond as my uncle told me.
    He said last time use cockroach very gd bite rate :shock:
  • pmptyeo
    bond" said:

Chiap Seng FP
    Red Mire FP
    Ocean FP

Tampines Fishing Pond
    Singapore FP
    Wu Pin FP
    Modern FP
    Pasir Ris FP
    Oriental FP

Neo Tiew Fishing Pond
    Kranji FP

Please add.....

Cheers
    Wa Bond..you also remind me of Hamid Bond! joking la.. :lol:

Truly my most memorable was catching the 17.3 lbs song (those days fishes were not weighed on kilos)I caught at YCK's Ocean pond..let me 'dig out the pix and see if I can find it..this was in Dec 1974!

Another pond was called yuyi (the pond did not last long..I think it was in YCK too and stocked with lots of tomans) I hit a 11 lbs toman on a yellow spinner..sigh ...those were the days my friend, we thought they'll never end.. :cry:
  • FishingChua
    I've been to Seng Choon, Yew Choon, Singapore, Kranji, Ocean and many more. I was a Potong Pasir villager form 1958 to the early 1970s (I cannot remember the exact date). I was from Senett Estate Primary School (no longer existing) and later Victoria Secondary School. I started fishing in 1974, I was working part time at a construction site with my friends. I bought my fishing tackle at Chop Hock Heng. They were at Potong Pasir at that time. My first rod was an ABU 282 and my first reel was an ABU Cardinal 44. They were bought with my own money. My rod and reel are still with me now and they are in 99% good condition. Don't mistaken children who work at a young age to be poor in their studies. I topped in maths and English. As for Mandarin, I failed. This was because I came from a Hokkien family. My parents could not teach me English as they were uneducated and I was not good in Mandarin as nobody spoke it at home. A little surprised why I could do well in English and math right? This was because of a kind Malay neighbour of mine. He was a policeman. He believed that the young should be educated well. So from primary one, he volunteered to teach me English. He would come to our attap house several times a week to guide me in my studies. And as the teachers say, those who did well in English will have no problem in maths. So, I did not need anybody to help me in maths. In those days, the Kallang River was not canalised. There were many tributaries that were shallow and filled with fish! I remember that we had Kissing Gourami in those small drains. Whenever it rained, the river would flood and the bridge that once stood on top of the river vanished. Well only for a while until the water receeded. Sigh, those were the days... I will post my stories in another section of this forum if any of you want to hear more. ;)
  • imx
    bond" said:

Chiap Seng FP
    Red Mire FP
    Ocean FP

Tampines Fishing Pond
    Singapore FP
    Wu Pin FP
    Modern FP
    Pasir Ris FP
    Oriental FP

Neo Tiew Fishing Pond
    Kranji FP

Please add.....

Cheers
    Hi,
    just to add in a few more FP

Ah Ma Keng FP (off Lim Chu Kang Rd)
    Cathay FP (off Thomson Rd)
    Asia FP (off Thomson Rd)
    Springdale FP (off Yio Chu Kang Rd)

cheers
  • joelimbh
    I can't remember the name of the pond but is was at Sembawang area. When dad n uncle said we are going fishing (usually nite fishing), it will be my job to catch cockroach. Just image went round all the dust bins with a coke cola bottle to catch. Think of it damn smelly. During fishing session, is also my job to cut the wings. 'BBQ' the cockroach over the candle can get good catch rate, also my job. I was abt 7 years old. Those were the days............
  • FishingChua
    joelimbh" said:
    I can't remember the name of the pond but is was at Sembawang area. When dad n uncle said we are going fishing (usually nite fishing), it will be my job to catch cockroach. Just image went round all the dust bins with a coke cola bottle to catch. Think of it damn smelly. During fishing session, is also my job to cut the wings. 'BBQ' the cockroach over the candle can get good catch rate, also my job. I was abt 7 years old. Those were the days............
    Cockroaches were the killer bait we used in those days. My gang and I used cockroaches often. The Bighead Carps just love them. We only used 6 Lb. Monofilament line to fight those huge Bighead Carps. In those days, the fish we caught can be kept. Till this day, I cannot understand why they allowed us to keep the fish when we only paid $2 for each rod for one day. We would continue our session till the next day. My mother would call the police often as she was worried about me. And when I went home after 2 days of continuous fishing, I would get a scolding and got nagged at all day.
  • Tinker
    Back then......best of pond fishing....

PONDS:

Oriental FP
    Singapore FP
    Neo Yew Choon FP
    Neo Seng Choon
    Tampines FP
    Wu Pein FP
    Modern FP
    Pasir Ris FP
    Chiap Seng FP
    Red Mire FP
    Ocean FP
    Ng Tiong Choon FP
    Neo Tiew FP
    ACN FP

Cost: $2 per rod, $3 for two rods for overnight fishingfor those ponds which are have overnight fishing. Others charged btn $5-$20 per rod for those Special ponds which are opened only on certain nights or weekends and do not have pesky tilapias to disturb.
    Extra 30cents for Lighting of the fishing hut. Some ponds 50 cents for Hurricane lamp.

Baits: Cooked tapioca cost 30-50cts per ball. Raw tapioca "printed"(using copper pipe) into 10-20cts coin and planed. Crockcroaches are favourites in particular, Singapore FP on Tuesday nights. Markers were made using raw tapioca.

Equipment used then:
    Rods:
    ABU 282, 281, 271,272
    ABU Zoom 331.332. 351.352. Adjusto
    ABU Diplomat 751, 752

Reels:
    ABU Cardinal 33,44,66
    Mitchell 408,410,411, 440
    Daiwa 4100,4300
    Dam

Fishes:
    Song He(Big Headed Carp - up to 60+lbs
    Lian He - looks like Song He
    Grass Carp(Red and Black Grassie)- average 3-25+ lbs
    Soon Hock - up to 2 1/2 lbs.
    Lee Kor - up to 30+lbs
    Sultan Fish
    Toman
    and off course who can forget the abundance of pesky japanese carp(tilapia).

Greatly missed is the nasi lemak and curry puff sold by the malay guy on his bicycle past midnight.
  • mako ng
    there used to be a FP 30 yrs ago at Elias road now occupied by pte estates. somewhere near there is an old SinMing school. My dad used to bring me there jalan jalan when i was just a little kid. Can't recall whether SW or FW though.
  • bond
    Wah......all the Ah Lau fall-in already...hehehehe

Anyone knw where is "Spider"???
    he strike the rod very accurate and fast one.
    Always at Tampines fishing pond.

A guy by the name of "cartoon"???
    I think friend of our bro "uncle"
    come in uncle.... :badgrin:

Richard......the preacher....
    remember him always say "wah...last week got so may
    grass and song..."
    hehehe always say only....but sit with him whole day,
    he catch nothing...hehehe
    Nice guys who always teach young people to fish
    God bless him.

Bro.....some photo here will be nice....
    especially those photo that shows the pond in
    the back ground. :shock:
  • pmptyeo
    bond" said:
    Wah......all the Ah Lau fall-in already...hehehehe

Anyone knw where is "Spider"???
    he strike the rod very accurate and fast one.
    Always at Tampines fishing pond.

A guy by the name of "cartoon"???
    I think friend of our bro "uncle"
    come in uncle.... :badgrin:

Richard......the preacher....
    remember him always say "wah...last week got so may
    grass and song..."
    hehehe always say only....but sit with him whole day,
    he catch nothing...hehehe
    Nice guys who always teach young people to fish
    God bless him.

Bro.....some photo here will be nice....
    especially those photo that shows the pond in
    the back ground. :shock:
    Hey Bond, still got a few ALs who have not 'submitted' their CRs memories yet...such as Al Jambul, Warrior Paul..just a few that I know....

Oh yes..spider..ya..what happened to that guy??
  • pmptyeo
    Tinker" said:
    Back then......best of pond fishing....

PONDS:

Oriental FP
    Singapore FP
    Neo Yew Choon FP
    Neo Seng Choon
    Tampines FP
    Wu Pein FP
    Modern FP
    Pasir Ris FP
    Chiap Seng FP
    Red Mire FP
    Ocean FP
    Ng Tiong Choon FP
    Neo Tiew FP
    ACN FP

Cost: $2 per rod, $3 for two rods for overnight fishingfor those ponds which are have overnight fishing. Others charged btn $5-$20 per rod for those Special ponds which are opened only on certain nights or weekends and do not have pesky tilapias to disturb.
    Extra 30cents for Lighting of the fishing hut. Some ponds 50 cents for Hurricane lamp.

Baits: Cooked tapioca cost 30-50cts per ball. Raw tapioca "printed"(using copper pipe) into 10-20cts coin and planed. Crockcroaches are favourites in particular, Singapore FP on Tuesday nights. Markers were made using raw tapioca.

Equipment used then:
    Rods:
    ABU 282, 281, 271,272
    ABU Zoom 331.332. 351.352. Adjusto
    ABU Diplomat 751, 752

Reels:
    ABU Cardinal 33,44,66
    Mitchell 408,410,411, 440
    Daiwa 4100,4300
    Dam

Fishes:
    Song He(Big Headed Carp - up to 60+lbs
    Lian He - looks like Song He
    Grass Carp(Red and Black Grassie)- average 3-25+ lbs
    Soon Hock - up to 2 1/2 lbs.
    Lee Kor - up to 30+lbs
    Sultan Fish
    Toman
    and off course who can forget the abundance of pesky japanese carp(tilapia).

Greatly missed is the nasi lemak and curry puff sold by the malay guy on his bicycle past midnight.
    wow Tinker...your list sure brings back many fond memories...thanks..and one more pond..I think it was called Starlight I think...
  • pmptyeo
    Those days whenever we go fishing, especially those staying in the South east of Singapore, taking a bus up to YCK via the Upper Thomson Road was always a great adventure :D

Remembered I try to steam the tapioca the previous night for songs ; then wake up at 5.30 am, take bus 124, drop off at Cecil Street, 'change' to bus 167 all the way to YCK. Dropped off at track 24 along YCK..took the 20 - 25 min walk into the ponds...

There was once when I hit a grassie and a huge song and had to carry my tackle box, plus the 2 huge fishes in a gunny sack with the tails sticking out! :lol:

Boarded the bus at around 6.30 pm to go home, and you can see the passengers all 'siam me' because they were afraid of the fishes staining their working clothes...sigh..those were the days indeed..

when we fished the whole day, called home using the coinaphone some of the ponds and made sure we came back at the stipulated time, met our friends at the designated bus stops and neer fly their aeroplane..all these without handphones, e-mails etc etc....
  • Sith
    fwahhhh....down memory lane.

Nice list of FP in S'pore back then. Used to chiong Red Mire, Chiap Seng, Ng Tiong Choon alot.

Had always used handlines with a wire leader baited with chicken liver secretly, hoping to hook the Toman or Haruan overnight..Other equipment used:

1.) make rod stands out of barbeque skewer
    2.) make float out of bottle corks to target song he

Last time no special or chapalam receipe like we see now at the catfish pond...lol. Just plain old cooked tapioca, raw tapioca, kang kong/tapioca leaves, cockroaches, earthworms, chicken liver....etc.

Oh yeah, used to see a lot those "chang kuey" - a kind of water bird near chiap seng...sometimes when the bite rates are slow, we will try to chase and catch them...had to fast tho. These birds run like road runner... :badgrin:

How about we gather a marker shooting session at Bottle Tree? lol...to relive the old times... :D

Happy New Year to all and abundant joy and happiness! Cheers.
  • Tinker
    yep.. great memories...used to bring flour bags to carry the fishes . Remembered once caught 4 x Grassies(avg 5-6lbs each) at Yew Choon FP and took Bus No.81 back to town area...long journey, so tired after overnight fishing and fell asleep, woke up to discover fishes have slide out of the flour bag and so paiseh have to go afew seats back to collect back the slippery dead fishes... the smell was also quite overpowering...
  • Ultimate Angler
    joelimbh" said:
    If memory serves me right..should be Simpang FP in Sembawang.

Nice thread going down memory lane for me...nice, nice. So nice until i buah tahan go to FP shoot marker. :lol: :lol:

Seems the only place now to relive those shoot marker days. Yesterday got 1 Sultan and 1 Grassy...lost one big bugger to a sangkot line with another angler half way through the battle and lost it...that's fishing..bo bian..win some lose some.

Day before got 3 Patins, 1 Gurami, 2 keli, 1 each(Rohu,Grassy,telapia,Sultan). Went down memory lane again and it felt good.

Like Sith suggested..we buggers should gather there to shoot marker as we can relate to what the hell is going on. Like one young angler next to me was asking me....what are you doing and how to see marker.
    Tried explaining to him...he catch no ball la... :lol:

Guys gathering for marker shooting session, please count me in.

A Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2010 to all kakis. :)

Rob
  • pmptyeo
    This is truly indeed an Ah Lau fishing section..retro fishing in the 70s...

Yes, let's gather for a marker shooting session. Went to Kulai last week with Jambul but somehow wasn't very successful as the fishes did not open their mouths..

Nonetheless, let's have one session together at the Bottle Tree Park. Perhaps we can 'pau' tee for an AL session on one of the Saturdays..

What sayest the rest of the Ah Laus??
  • joelimbh
    Those buses numbers u mentioned shd be trans-island and sbs. My time take buses like HOCK LEE, STC, one sound like 'tay koh huat' and one more operator, can't remember the name. Can anyone confirm?
  • joelimbh
    Good idea 'pau tee' count me in but will be away from 05/01 n not sure when I will be back, taking a long break.......
  • FishingChua
    Eh old buddies, let's talk about our tackles. My gang and I used 6' ABU rods and ABU Cardinal 44 and 33 reels with 6 Lb. Monofilament line. We also used the most popular spinning reel, the Mitchell 300. My old tackles are still with me in 99% good condition. By the way, I never changed my line. I used my 6 Lb. Monofilament (I still remember the colour of the line, it was purple) for quite a few years. After which, I quit fishing. And recently I picked up this sport again as my son was interested.
  • Ultimate Angler
    pmptyeo" said:
    This is truly indeed an Ah Lau fishing section..retro fishing in the 70s...

Yes, let's gather for a marker shooting session. Went to Kulai last week with Jambul but somehow wasn't very successful as the fishes did not open their mouths..

Nonetheless, let's have one session together at the Bottle Tree Park. Perhaps we can 'pau' tee for an AL session on one of the Saturdays..

What sayest the rest of the Ah Laus??
    Think "pau" tee quite difficult la as the pond is huge..unless we have many kakis then maybe can speak to the boss there.

http://www.fishingparadise.com.sg/Promos.html

FP is the modern version of our old shoot marker pond...cleaner, no need to pay for lights at night...lol..etc..

Can use only one hook(debarb)to shoot marker...and..errr...end of session cannot "tark fish hor" C n R pond.
    Baits must buy from there...kng n bread only...no BBQ cockroach etc..lol

Never tried the morning session though...only the evening from 4pm onwards. Ard 5pm...Happy hour..they feed the fish with bread and anglers use float or shoot marker also can.

FP guys there friendly and they help you land n release fish.

In any case, just set a date and all meet there lor...I prefer evening session as not hot....scare of the sun..

Rob
  • Ultimate Angler
    FishingChua" said:
    Eh old buddies, let's talk about our tackles. My gang and I used 6' ABU rods and ABU Cardinal 44 and 33 reels with 6 Lb. Monofilament line. We also used the most popular spinning reel, the Mitchell 300. My old tackles are still with me in 99% good condition. By the way, I never changed my line. I used my 6 Lb. Monofilament (I still remember the colour of the line, it was purple) for quite a few years. After which, I quit fishing. And recently I picked up this sport again as my son was interested.
    Would be good to see them in action again. Sadly..i do not have them anymore. Now use 6lb diameter braid..no more 6lb mono liao for me.
  • bond
    Let me start the photo posting....
  • FishingChua
    bond" said:
    Let me start the photo posting.... :D
    Kranji Fishing Pond
    cat fish (no weight)
    Sadly, we don't have any picture of our catch. In the 70s, who would think of photo taking?
  • Naga
    I belong to the 70's babies, therefore only remember couple of those that still operates till the mid or late 80's, such as Neo Tiew Land, ACN and Modern.

Nonetheless, it was Neo Tiew Land that leave the deepest impression in me. As it was "The Place" where I learnt the "Arts" of shooting marker and closing the bail arms to whack the tomans. There are couples of thing which left deep impression from Neo Tiew Land FP are:

- Camping overnight outside the Sunday pond to "Chop Spot", so that we are able to secured the best spot when Lak Sai's son opened the gate in the morning

- Annual Mayday competition, booking and reservation of spot comes in weeks before the competition, as the pond will be close for a month before the competiton

- Popiah is such a hotcake during the late noon hours

- One of the pond was closed because Lak Sai's daughter committed suicide in it

- Abu 282 (Original Sweeden made attract anglers attentions), Mitchell and Cardinal reel are such a hit. Follow by commonly used Silstar, Ryobi, Shimano and Daiwa graphite body reel

- EVA handles are masked by insulation tape (black, yellow and green are commonly used) to prevent stain, smelt and water.

Well as for Modern, it is also one of the playground that left a deep impression behind. Purely Song, Grassy and Sultan, till they convert the weekend pond to a saltwater pond. And of course, the drain behind the main pond (between the pond and the fish farms). The drain itself is also another wonderful playground, whenever uprising tide the drain will be flood with "Hai Leng aka Tarpon" and they are not small.

Would certainly pleased to see a day, where I could fish with all the ALs to resurface this ART again.
  • bond
    Naga" said:
    I belong to the 70's babies, therefore only remember couple of those that still operates till the mid or late 80's, such as Neo Tiew Land, ACN and Moder

ALs to resurface this ART again.
    When his daughter jump into the pond than morning....i was the first one waiting 4 the gate to open (fishing Sun pond)...about 5 30 am. She jump into the pond that is not for fishing.....
    They found the slipper near the pond....someone went down and serch for her body..after long time than found....very sad. And a lady took out the deceased ear ring...saying dead people cannot wear jewellery.
  • bond
    Before the Abu Cardinal 33/44...
    I think this is the first Abu in Singapore....
    correct me if i m wrong...
  • bond
    Modern Fishing Pond (weekday pond)
    Song fish (big head carp)
    with Ah Chuan....
    the gangster fr Houngang
    :badgrin:

• imx
    bond,
    ah chuan regular partner is ah kwee. still met them once in a while at amk area.
    i m keen to join in the shooting marker if there is going to be a gathering. ;)
    cheers
    tys
  • FishingChua
    bond" said:
    Before the Abu Cardinal 33/44...
    I think this is the first Abu in Singapore....
    correct me if i m wrong... :D
    By Chop Hock Heng?
    I'm not too sure. But ABU 333, I do not own one. I own a 444A. BTW, that 333 is a Svängsta one. My 444A is Just ABU 444A. But I do own an ABU Svängsta Cardinal 66. I bought my 6' ABU 282 rod and Cardinal 44 reel from Chop Hock Heng.
  • FishingChua
    Naga" said:
    I belong to the 70's babies, therefore only remember couple of those that still operates till the mid or late 80's, such as Neo Tiew Land, ACN and Modern.

Nonetheless, it was Neo Tiew Land that leave the deepest impression in me. As it was "The Place" where I learnt the "Arts" of shooting marker and closing the bail arms to whack the tomans. There are couples of thing which left deep impression from Neo Tiew Land FP are:

- Camping overnight outside the Sunday pond to "Chop Spot", so that we are able to secured the best spot when Lak Sai's son opened the gate in the morning

- Annual Mayday competition, booking and reservation of spot comes in weeks before the competition, as the pond will be close for a month before the competiton

- Popiah is such a hotcake during the late noon hours

- Abu 282 (Original Sweeden made attract anglers attentions), Mitchell and Cardinal reel are such a hit. Follow by commonly used Silstar, Ryobi, Shimano and Daiwa graphite body reel

- EVA handles are masked by insulation tape (black, yellow and green are commonly used) to prevent stain, smelt and water.

Well as for Modern, it is also one of the playground that left a deep impression behind. Purely Song, Grassy and Sultan, till they convert the weekend pond to a saltwater pond. And of course, the drain behind the main pond (between the pond and the fish farms). The drain itself is also another wonderful playground, whenever uprising tide the drain will be flood with "Hai Leng aka Tarpon" and they are not small.

Would certainly pleased to see a day, where I could fish with all the ALs to resurface this ART again.
    Although I own a variety of Mitchell and Abu reels, my favourite is still the ABU Cardinal 44. And until now, I still own only 1 ABU rod, is it a 6' ABU 282 rod.