Different names for Spanish Mackerel

yoda
edited May 2009 in General Fishing
Hi Bros,

Need some help on the names for spanish mackerel.

Understood locals call them by several names....

1) Tenggiri
2) Batang
3) 'bei-ka'

Are they all refering to the same species, Spanish Mack?

pls enlighten....

Cheerios
  • linusfishing
    It's true that they are also known as Tengirris and Batangs... Not sure about your 3rd though. :)
  • Melvin Lee
    bei ka is known as tengirri papan. Its body is wider and spotted unlike spanish maks, its body is slimmer and stripes.
  • yoda
    Thanks for enlightening....

What's the english common name for 'bei-ka'? also spanish mack?

Cheerios.
  • Dr Hook
    Tenggiri is the Malay name for mackerel. The common mackerel family includes the spanish mackerel known as tenggiri batang as well as the spotted mackerel known as tenggiri papan.

I believe bei-ka refers to the spanish mackerel.
  • yoda
    Now i'm confused again....

Bei-ka = Spotted mack? (As quoted by Melvin Lee)

OR

Bei-ka = Spanish mack? (As quoted by Dr Hook)

Cheerios
  • Allen.89
    edited July 29
    yoda said:
    Hi Bros,

1) Tenggiri
    2) Batang
    3) 'bei-ka'

pls enlighten....

Cheerios
    ​1. Tenggiri is a Malay language umbrella term for most big sized mackerel. (Umbrella term - category term e.g. Chinese is an umbrellla term refers to people like the Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, and etc)

2. Batang is the shortened Malay name of a type of "Tenggiri" (mackerel) where I heard that Hokkien people at Singapore use to refer this type of fish. Its full name is Tenggiri Batang in Malay and Narrow-barred Spanish Mackerel in English. It is also known as "Tek Ka" in Hokkien.

3. Bei-ka, I believe and prefer that it spelled as "Beh Ka", is refers to the Tenggiri Papan in Malay and Spotted Spanish Mackerel a.k.a. Indo-Pacific King Mackerel in English. 

4. When people mentioned Spanish Mackerel, especially by ang moh (Caucasian), they usually refer to the Atlantic Spanish Mackerel which live at the Atlantic Ocean far away from Southeast Asia while both of the Narrow-barred and Spotted is native around Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean which is where Asia are located. 

Link: https://reddit.app.link/BVQwqZ2wWO
  • Luke Maow Bear
    SEO at it's best. 
  • Sharon.L
    Allen.89 said:
    yoda said:
    Hi Bros,

1) Tenggiri
    2) Batang
    3) 'bei-ka'

pls enlighten....

Cheerios
    ​1. Tenggiri is a Malay language umbrella term for most big sized mackerel. (Umbrella term - category term e.g. Chinese is an umbrellla term refers to people like the Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, and etc)

2. Batang is the shortened Malay name of a type of "Tenggiri" (mackerel) where I heard that Hokkien people at Singapore use to refer this type of fish. Its full name is Tenggiri Batang in Malay and Narrow-barred Spanish Mackerel in English. It is also known as "Tek Ka" in Hokkien.

3. Bei-ka, I believe and prefer that it spelled as "Beh Ka", is refers to the Tenggiri Papan in Malay and Spotted Spanish Mackerel a.k.a. Indo-Pacific King Mackerel in English. 

4. When people mentioned Spanish Mackerel, especially by ang moh (Caucasian), they usually refer to the Atlantic Spanish Mackerel which live at the Atlantic Ocean far away from Southeast Asia while both of the Narrow-barred and Spotted is native around Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean which is where Asia are located. 

Link: https://reddit.app.link/BVQwqZ2wWO
    ​Thanks for the explanations.
  • macfighter
    Just to share, "bei ka" is hokkien pronunciation translated from Chinese words " 马鲛" basically mean mackerel.  
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016