WTB: Luhr Jensen Crippled herring

Blurtadpole
edited June 2009 in Jigging & Popping
Hi Guys,

Just got back from Pekan on the 23 Mar 2009 and planning to get a trip up there again for some light jigging action...
Am looking for these assorted new models of Luhr Jensen Crippled herring Smash Flash jigs....
Have called Hock Ann and they dont stock these new model jigs, have anyone seen them in any tackle stores locally or in Malaysia? Or anyone willing to let go of them?
Am looking for jigs in the 1 and a half to 2 ounce weight category.
Even the old version ones are welcomed...

Thank you so much!!!

Cheers,
V

• Blurtadpole
    Not to forget....The older version one as well.

Chhers,
    V.
  • Blurtadpole
    At last.... 8)

Just to share with fellow kakais on the Luhr Jensen's Crippled Herring Smash Flash that i've just ordered in from the States.

At first glance: :shock:

- The newer version of the Crippled Herring wears a reflective prominent distinct coat of intended color.

- The body shape is the same (comparison of the same sized with the older version) that could signify the similar fluttering motion of the jig on the drop.

- The eyes of the newer model has the life-like 3D epoxy pair of eyes compared to the older version of dull sticker eyes that could peel off after a few vicious takes from the intended quarry.

- Paint work of the newer version seems to have a protective coat to withstand the knocks and scratches on the reef that is advantageous for reef bashing jiggers like myself.

- Eyelet seems to be slightly wider than the older version maybe allowing a more natural movement of the jig in water with a little more free-play.

Upon closer inspection:

- General body ergonomics is similar.

- The prints on the jig body is similar to the older version.

Overall:
    It's a nice additional jig to own but the price of the newer range might set buyers back as it costs around US$8 per piece (with freight and all) compared to the older version ones of merely SGD$5.95 per piece for the 2 oz models.

P.S- Will try out the jigs on the next available light jigging trip...

Till then,

Cheers,
    V.
  • Blurtadpole
    A bit of D.I.Y improvements to my existing older version of the Crippled Herring jigs....

Basically, the picture from top down is a simple step by step D.I.Y to convert it from stock (Original in box) to ready to go light jigging lure.

1. Top - Jig taken out from the box, include; snap, split ring and a O' Shaughnessy hook (similar size to the Mustard 4/0 O' Shaughnessy hook).

2. Middle - Spilt ring and hook is taken out and the sticker eyes on each side of the jig is carefully taken out by a sewing pin.

3. Bottom - A pair of 3D eyes is being adhered into the eye socket by a dab of superglue. The existing split ring is being reused with a swivel and an assist hook attached.

Job completed.

Some info-
    * Be sure to make sure the eyes match the jig as the current epoxy 3D eyes i bought fits exactly into the eye socket of the 2 oz but not into the 1 and a half oz Crippled Herring's.
    * Configurations on :
    - Brand and size of assist hooks, assist line, swivel, split rings and how the assist hook is tied, to ensure robustness and presentation is up to individual liking.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers,
    V.
  • Icebomb
    Think i saw some at sabre...
  • madfisho
    ICe, sabre only stocks the 4 oz and above.

By the way, vincent, how about the blue fox herring? Same profile. I think the malaysians are using these jigs and scoring too.
  • Blurtadpole
    madfisho" said:
    ICe, sabre only stocks the 4 oz and above.

By the way, vincent, how about the blue fox herring? Same profile. I think the malaysians are using these jigs and scoring too.
    Hi Madfisho,

Is this the jig (pictured below)?

I am not quite sure if the guys in Malaysia are hitting ebeks with these jigs but word from the boatman (Ricky) was that the greenish Vanguards, IMA Gune, Caprice and the duel one worked well in Pekan waters. As for the 2 oz older version Crippled herring, it sure did worked in my previous trip. Actually, a kaki (Shannon) saw a gang of cobias heading towards our fishing boat and i happened to be the first to let down the crippled herring 2 oz. The cobias were seen chasing the jig as it fluttered into the blue...It was rewarded with an instantaneous hook up...But unfortunately, i lost it as it dived into reefy structures thus cutting me off and leaving me :shock: never known that cobias can play dirty... :cry:

Anyways, for the new C.H Smash Flash....I have yet to test them out but i reckon will yield similar results due to similar body shape.

Cheers,
    V. ;)
  • Blurtadpole
    Oops...forgot the picture of the blue fox...

• madfisho
    HI.. another blue fox herring design. Some of them hanging in joe tackle.

Yeah i seen personally the power of crippled herring during a recent trip up to pekan. also on the cobias.
  • fishsio
    hi there

can u 3/4oz cripple herring be used in pekan.

tks
  • madfisho
    bro. Usually 1.5 to 2 i think

as a rule of thumb, most pple are using 40 grams jigs there. So 1.5 x 28 equates to roughly 42 grams.
  • Blurtadpole
    Finally, got the 1 and a half sized crippled herring from Hock Ann (Beach road).
    Mustered all the crippled herring jigs (Old and New models) together for a photo session...
  • Blurtadpole
    Blurtadpole" said:
    Finally, got the 1 and a half sized crippled herring from Hock Ann (Beach road).
    Mustered all the crippled herring jigs (Old and New models) together for a photo session... :lol:
    Will plan to use these jigs on the next upcoming light jigging trip to compare the results with the rest of the fishos.. ;)

Cheers,
    V.
    Oops, forgot to add...
    The top four crippled herrings are in the 1 and a half ounce category and the bottom ones are in the 2 ounce category...

P.S- The original plain sticker eyes have been replaced by 3D expoxy eyes.

Thanks,
    V.
  • Neil Daniel
    I like the green stripped one alot really looks like a tamban, lost it to a snag in local waters after getting a few small but nice fish. I got mine in the US, I guess you wiped out the stock at Hock Ann :lol:
  • Blurtadpole
    Neil Daniel" said:
    I like the green stripped one alot really looks like a tamban, lost it to a snag in local waters after getting a few small but nice fish. I got mine in the US, I guess you wiped out the stock at Hock Ann :lol:
    Hi Neil,

haha...Nah, unfortunately i did not, just bought 3 of the 1.5 oz green ones. Plenty left...I think Jimmy just happened to dig and found these productive jigs at the back store and put them in the front counter. :smt119

P.S- Wiped out the silver 1.5 oz ones..... Should have used the money on these green ones... ](*,)

Cheers,
    V. ;)
  • Beast666
    Hi all. Am looking for 1/2 & 3/4 oz crippled herrings. Anyone selling them personally or knows where to get them in singapore? Contact me at 96233241. Thanks.