YFT from P.Ratu .

Sportfisherman
edited June 2005 in Catch Reports
:lol:

This 42.5 kg speciment was boated yesterday , this was a smaller ones !

http://www.fishyforum.com/component/opt ... 4054/#4054

Sportfisherman . 8)
  • uncle
    sent you a pm.

tks
  • jon
    Uncle, don't sneak off to P.Ratu without letting know! :D :D

Sportfisherman(Jon),

Good report and I've joined that forum so I had better practice my reading and writing(Indo). Sure looks like you all, have the place wired.

Apart from popping to the surface feeders, what about trolling and jigging for YFT?

I must get Dustin back, and plan a trip with him over to your side for a trip.

Warmest regards,

Jon. 8)
  • uncle
    hi Jon

I didn't know you are sportfisherman or do i get it wrong ?
  • jon
    Hi Uncle,

I wish I was Sportfisherman. Unfortunately he is senior Jon 8) and it's a pure coincidence that we both sign off with the same 8).

If you log on to Fishy forum and look at the pics than you'll be able to put a face to a name.

Sportfisherman is based in Jakarta and I'm based in Bintan. Major difference apart from the kind of boats we fish from is also the kind of gamefish he targets compared to the little ones here.

I have miles to go to before I even have half his experience.

Humbly,

Jon 8) ( Maybe little Jon in this case :D :D )
  • uncle
    tks Jon, is there any contact for this (big) Jon ? Think you can help ?
  • jon
    Hi Uncle,

Probably register at fishforum and PM him. Better and cheaper than having to call.

Rgds,

Jon 8)
  • uncle
    Bang Jon

Itu suma chakap bahasar, saya taboleh turis dan chakap. Satu ayam satu quack quack lah ! :prayer:
  • ckk
    jon" said:

Sportfisherman(Jon),

Good report and I've joined that forum so I had better practice my reading and writing(Indo). Sure looks like you all, have the place wired.

Apart from popping to the surface feeders, what about trolling and jigging for YFT?

Warmest regards,

Jon. 8)
    Yo,Botak

When you going P.Ratu never jio me ah.
  • Chris Seo
    ckk" said:
    [quote="jon"]Uncle, don't sneak off to P.Ratu without letting know! :D :D

Sportfisherman(Jon),

Warmest regards,

Jon. 8)
    Yo,Botak

When you going P.Ratu never jio me ah.[/quote]

Yo ckk,

Have some respect for Jonathan ok, not nice calling him names....Ha ha... I thought Braodbills, Blue Fin Tunas & Giant Black Bass is what you're most interested in going after, wondering why on earth you want to catch 20kg-60kg YFT normally considered bait fish to you.

Hi Jon,

Forgive him hee... young people nowadays don't know what is good for them, paling kurang ajar. Generally, trolling can produce YFTs when they're sounding at the upper column of water but when they're really deep, I reckoned chumming with live baits is the way to go! That however, will be difficult to achieve as the boats there aren't equipped with live-baitwells. Jigging for YFT is also not so simple, got to locate the school first. On top of that, a mile off the coastline can go as deep as 500m. Some pics....Cheers

Regards

Regards

• Sportfisherman
    :o

Chis ,

I heard the mishap of your wife from Fendi , hope she is OK now . I was in P.Ratu yesterday , had 4 YFT strikes , 4 hook-ups but only 2 boated , lost the 2 bigger ones at the boatside due to fatigue of this old man , I really felt old then ! :oops:

Sportfisherman . 8)
  • Chris Seo
    Sportfisherman" said:
    :o

Chis ,

I heard the mishap of your wife from Fendi , hope she is OK now . I was in P.Ratu yesterday , had 4 YFT strikes , 4 hook-ups but only 2 boated , lost the 2 bigger ones at the boatside due to fatigue of this old man , I really felt old then ! :oops:

Sportfisherman . 8)
    Pak Jon,

Thank you sir, she's ok now. Just curious, were they caught on Popping gear or Trolling? Our timing sucks! YFTs are sought after all over the world, a worthy opponent in the game fishing circle, their dogged never say die character when hooked up can punished anyone young or old. Pound for pound they are 'THE BEST'. My personal opinion.

You could have fooled me. Base on your handshake & physical appearance, you don't look a day over 40.

Regards
  • Sportfisherman
    :lol:

Chris ,

I am going on 56 so definitely over the hill !

Those 4 YFTs were all by popping , yours trully hooked 3 of them but only manage to boat 1 smallest fish ! :oops:

Must change tactic , GT tactic won't work on YFTs , my back is still hurting ! :cry:

Sportfisherman . 8)
  • D. Foo
    Uncle Jon .. Good going on the yfts, P Ratu really seems to be producing well.. Were those yfts big fish? Amazing that a guy like you who's caught 40, 50kg GTs on 100 lb popping tackle could get done over by any fish! :!:

Jon (Bintan) .. should I address you as brother Jon? 8) Have you got an email address bro.. since the PM function here disabled I haven't been able to get in touch.

cheers dustin
  • Sportfisherman
    :D

Dustin ,

GT when hooked wud pressure the angler from the start but once brought up near the surface , wud give up the fight and easily submitted for release . YFT when hooked wud come up pretty fast and then when it is spooked by the sight of the boat , wud dive again and again , wearing off the angler holding the long rod being pulled vertically downward , this action hurt the back of the angler . :oops:

Trying to "plane " the YFTs won't succeed because this fish won't plane well due to it's bullet shape . :x They don't float at all because they don't have air inside their body , the are as good as lead sinker with propeller ! :shock:

The only way is to let it burn it's energy but that takes a long fight time and in popping , at least my group's way , everybody is inching to have a go , if you take 30 minutes to subdue the fish , the school wud have gone far and tuna habits being what it is , they only surface either early in the morning or late in the afternoon so not much time to find them on the surface . :(

In my case , the hook up occasion is still the most exciting , followed up by the long side by side surge of the tuna trying to rid off the popper , the circling directly underneath is the most boring and once boated , the photo session is the bonus and then ........ , I lay down to regain my strength and let the other anglers have a go at the school . :P

Will ask my nephew to post in FishyForum later . :lol:

Sportfisherman . 8)
  • D. Foo
    hi Uncle Jon.. Don't know whether it's considered "planing" or not.. but if the skipper keeps the line at 45 degrees or shallower the angler will always get back more line than straight up and down.. running the boat around the fish to "corkscrew" the fish to the surface also works, I saw this done on a 60kg class bigeye on 50 stand up with an angler with a bad back who couldn't pressure the fish properly. Probably with a long rod its better to copy the flyrodders and keep the rod tip low, one thing I do know works really well is use really short pumps. 5-6 inches per pump and only a 1/2 or 1/4 turn on the reel.

Having said that, with tuna they're always going to be tough. 30 min is not a bad time to land a 50+ kg fish on popping tackle.
  • Sportfisherman
    :)

Dustin ,

Come and try it when you are over here to visit your dad , it's nothing like trolling at all and definitely nothing like flyrod either , the difficulties multiply exponentially when you have multiple hook ups where more than one anglers fighting their fish . :roll:

Sportfisherman . 8)
  • D. Foo
    Can't cast well enough with heavy tackle, but I'll take the rod if your back is sore :?

have there been many billfish caught at P Ratu this year? I must brush up my bahasa indonesia too so I can join Fishyforum.. :oops:
  • Sportfisherman

Billfish strikes are far in between , not many dedicate themselves into billfishing nowaday , popping is the latest craze . :lol:

Chris Seo brought a couple of Singapore anglers and had marlin strike during the 3 days fishing in P. Ratu , no hook up though . :cry:

During the recent major tournament , a boat tied to a very big marlin estimated in excess of a quarter toner , for 5 hrs on 50 lbs stand-up tackle , the result was predictable after a few change of angler fighting the fish , line parted near where the double line was . :(

So billfish is still around , may not be as many as before but P. Ratu is still a prime location , considering it's location from Jakarta . :wink:
    Boat mooring has been improved unlike before when every boat must be
    beached . :roll:

Sportfisherman . 8)
  • Sportfisherman

Guys ,

Here are some photos of May 23-24 trip . :lol:

http://www.fishyforum.com/component/opt ... 4263/#4263

Sportfisherman . 8)

PS : Chris Seo , do you have email address ?
  • jon
    Hi Chris,

Small YFT is good enough for me. No need to be pulled over on a locked drag. :lol: :lol: Enough of trying to bring the fish to the boat with high drags. High drag+ low boat railing+ rough seas= Jon going swimming. :oops: :oops:

Suddenly after turning 40 the mind is willing but the body is not. I'm starting to feel tired even free diving to 50ft now after only 1/2hr compared to the freediving for a few hrs on end. Will have to work the arm muscles befor going on any serious fishing trips.

Hi Dustin,

You can mail me at seasports@bintanlagoon.com. If you want I can pay the yearly fee for the forum when I pay mine. Then you owe me an extra custom Dustin lure head :D :D Seriously it won't be a problem. Let me know.

HonestlyI think Pak.Jon hit the nail on the head when he said that with others waiting for a chance to cast their poppers this has forced him to try and land a green fish in as short time as possible. This situation is taking you out of the comfort zone. Two big fish with both anglers using spinning reels( limited line capacity compared to trolling reels) more problems.

Looks like we shall stick to trolling/ :lol:

Pak Jon, thanks for answering all my questions through the pm on the other forum. Minta maaf terlalu banyak pertanyaan. Masih ingin mau cuba ke P.Ratu, inga apa apa hasilnya , kan namanya cubaan.

Mungkin tahun kedapan jika waktunya cucuk saya akan cuba kesana.

warmest regards to all,

Jon 8)
  • ckk
    Chris Seo" said:
    [quote="ckk"][quote="jon"]Uncle, don't sneak off to P.Ratu without letting know! :D :D

Sportfisherman(Jon),

Warmest regards,

Jon. 8)
    Yo,Botak

Yo ckk,

Have some respect for Jonathan ok, not nice calling him names....Ha ha... I thought Braodbills, Blue Fin Tunas & Giant Black Bass is what you're most interested in going after, wondering why on earth you want to catch 20kg-60kg YFT normally considered bait fish to you.

Hi Jon,

Forgive him hee... young people nowadays don't know what is good for them, paling kurang ajar. Generally, trolling can produce YFTs when they're sounding at the upper column of water but when they're really deep, I reckoned chumming with live baits is the way to go! That however, will be difficult to achieve as the boats there aren't equipped with live-baitwells. Jigging for YFT is also not so simple, got to locate the school first. On top of that, a mile off the coastline can go as deep as 500m. Some pics....Cheers

Regards

Regards[/quote]
    Yo,Mr solelosser chris Seo,
    Jon is indeep botak what. Don't tell me you need see him before,
    Yes you are right Broadbill,Bluefin & Blackbass is my next traget,
    Yes I have caught yellowfin before ,that does not mean I do not
    want to catch then again seen that you like to run your big mouth with me
    you know my trip for broadbill next year why don't you join me there.
    you know my costing ,the timeing & date.Well I issue you a challange on that. Stand up on broadbill one on one no passing.Useing my outfit you know which outfit I ment .
  • putche
    ai yo! putche like this kind of challenge.

can putche come along and putche give you all good massage. :wink:

so now putche knows that Jon is a botak. neber mind putche likes botak. botak have more places to kiss.
  • ckk
    putche putche very funny,sound familiar.Yes I remenber
    sound like a squid when you hook it up from the sea
    it's shoot out water creating a sound putche putche.
    no offence happy squid jigging..
  • Capt Fred
    jon" said:

Sportfisherman(Jon),

Warmest regards,

Jon. 8)

Hi Jon

I see that you are still into fishing. How come you didnt join the Labuan IGFA/Rolex Tournament this year? Your Bertram at Serasa really under use. Haha.

BTW, My boat Apollo won RM22,500 this year. TCE teams who chartered the Apollo won Team 1st prize 191Kg, 4th prize 123.5Kg and individual Barracouta 9Kg and Barracuda 17.5Kg.

When will you be visiting Brunei again?
  • ckk
    Capt Fred" said:
    [quote="jon"]Uncle, don't sneak off to P.Ratu without letting know! :D :D

Sportfisherman(Jon),

Warmest regards,

Jon. 8)

Hi Jon

I see that you are still into fishing. How come you didnt join the Labuan IGFA/Rolex Tournament this year? Your Bertram at Serasa really under use. Haha.

BTW, My boat Apollo won RM22,500 this year. TCE teams who chartered the Apollo won Team 1st prize 191Kg, 4th prize 123.5Kg and individual Barracouta 9Kg and Barracuda 17.5Kg.

When will you be visiting Brunei again?[/quote]Hi fred

For your info the Barracouta 9kg wasn't won be TCE
    it's won by another team indiviual event.
  • putche
    ckk" said:
    [quote="Capt Fred"][quote="jon"]Uncle, don't sneak off to P.Ratu without letting know! :D :D

Sportfisherman(Jon),

Warmest regards,

Jon. 8)

Hi Jon

When will you be visiting Brunei again?[/quote]Hi fred

it's won by another team indiviual event.[/quote]

putche knows that the barracouta individual event was won by a Singaporean.
  • jon
    Hi CKK why so aggresive. Good luck with your Broadbill trip next year. I'm sure we're all be excited to read about it.

Hi Capt Fred,

Didn't make it the Labuan Comp this year due to a change in jobs. Congratulations on doing well this year. Good for Apollo.

I hope to do more fishing when things have settled down, work wise. I'm honestly exploring a new remote location for a expedition. Looks interesting from the nautical charts and some reports from a friend who has visited the place. Market was teeming with all sorts of good pelagics. Caught with line not net.

Due to time constraints I've been doing a lot more spearfishing and am getting back into it. Have just ordered two new guns including a bluewater gun for this new location that I hope to try visit. I'm plannig to try and get 2 weeks off work to explore the place.

Wow! The Bertram is causing me a lot of heart ache. While she was undergoing repair works no one drained the rain water in the bilge so now more money has to be spent repairing the new genset. :x :x

Maybe the best thing is just to stop work and charter the boat full time, out of somewhere in Indo where the fishing and diveing is great. :lol: :lol:

Will call you when I get to Brunei.

Jon 8)
  • Chris Seo
    ckk" said:
    [quote="Chris Seo"][quote="ckk"][quote="jon"]Uncle, don't sneak off to P.Ratu without letting know! :D :D

Sportfisherman(Jon),

Warmest regards,

Jon. 8)
    Yo,Botak

Yo ckk,

Hi Jon,

Regards

Regards[/quote]
    Yo,Mr solelosser chris Seo,
    Jon is indeep botak what. Don't tell me you need see him before,
    Yes you are right Broadbill,Bluefin & Blackbass is my next traget,
    Yes I have caught yellowfin before ,that does not mean I do not
    want to catch then again seen that you like to run your big mouth with me
    you know my trip for broadbill next year why don't you join me there.
    you know my costing ,the timeing & date.Well I issue you a challange on that. Stand up on broadbill one on one no passing.Useing my outfit you know which outfit I ment .[/quote]

Sorry if I've offended you in any way, everyone that knows me know I don't have a bigmouth. Not interested in targeting broadbills as the finance of such a trip is too exorbitant. Would have gladly taken up your offer 10 years back, but now I humbly back down on your challenge, you're the "New Iron Man". Anyway, good luck on your search for whatever species you target.
  • putche
    his species as putche knows are the 2 legged species. Not broadbill but broad-breast
  • Capt Fred
    ckk" said:
    Hi fred

it's won by another team indiviual event.
    Hi ckk

I checked with TCE team. You are right they confirmed that the 2 individual categories they won are Barrucuda and Escolar.
This discussion has been closed.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2020