Bedok Jetty

MiniBass
edited December 2005 in General Fishing
Hi, i am MiniBass, also new guy here... Anyone knows which type of bait is the most suitable to be use at Bedok Jetty? Any tips? Thank you all first for your kindest tips and infomation.
  • wkkan
    Depends on what kind of fish u are aiming for.
    Tamban is the most common for biggies like queenie, parang and todak.
    Squid is good for night fishing.
    Live prawn is good for Grouper. :lol:

Good Luck..
  • hardhat
    Beware, t'is the season for Kelong Chi and Puffers. :evil:

A daytime problem, small Kelong Chi will swarm your baited hooks near the pillars at the surface. Puffers will simply chew the hook off eventually if you cast 5m to 10m away. Try to avoid these live bait danger zones. All my apollo rigs kenna botak on a recent trip. Managed to hook up quite a few Puffers when the hooks did hold out.

Try to cast further out if you got long range gear or drop down your baited rig quickly to the bottom. Alternatively, you can go at night to avoid the 'bait bandits', but I'm not sure of the condition then.

If you can tolerate these 'pests' in the day, there's a chance of getting some stargazers and small snappers at the bottom with small hooks. You can try your luck hand-lining with larger hooks, for Groupers. Use whole bait fish caught on the spot.

This time of year also good for jigging Selar, Kembong, small Macks etc. Just use the normal tamban jigs. Jigging in the rain can yield suprising results. Bring some heavier jigs (no. 10+) just in case. :wink:
  • MiniBass
    THks to both of you for your kind tips. Anyway, I had lots of experience in hooking up pufferfish and their tooth were so sharp that sometimes, it may get away with the hook in its mouth. lol

• espire
    wah bro very poisonous lehh
    why u hold in ur hand :shock:
  • Redtooth
    espire" said:
    wah bro very poisonous lehh
    OMG.. hu told u holding puffer fish in yr hand is poisonous?
  • MiniBass
    edited December 2005
    Redtooth" said:
    [quote="espire"]wah bro very poisonous lehh
    OMG.. hu told u holding puffer fish in yr hand is poisonous?[/quote]

Only one of the inner part in poisonous and only when you consume it, BTW, i am not the one who is holding the fish, is my father, LOL...
  • MiniBass
    Anyway, there are different types of pufferfish, spike skins one and rough skin ones...
  • MiniBass
    And anyone could pls tell me what type of bait is the most suitable for catching Gar Jaw fish which looks like Marlin?
  • fukeong
    Kelong Chi can be used as bait ?
  • MiniBass
    fukeong" said:
    Kelong Chi can be used as bait ?
    Is kelong Chi the small fish on top of the water which come in skools, are they kelong Chi?
  • Anonymous
    Don't know why you showed 3gp video tickling that poor fish. For your information, 3gp cannot be viewed in FK. Please convert to mpeg for future video attachment.

Fugu is indeed contained lethal poison in the stomach area, however it is one of the best sushimi dishes in Japan. :P
  • stanle
    Jack Lai" said:
    Don't know why you showed 3gp video tickling that poor fish. For your information, 3gp cannot be viewed in FK. Please convert to mpeg for future video attachment.

Fugu is indeed contained lethal poison in the stomach area, however it is one of the best sushimi dishes in Japan. :P
    dunnoe is ticking or "piak piak" the tummy to spit out hook. anyway, i can view the 3gp, but not mpeg, cos i using other platforms. :lol:
  • MiniBass
    Jack Lai" said:

Sry, i had no idea that it cannot be viewed in FK, so sry i just joined yesterday.
  • Brandon
    is using live prawns effective at bedok jetty ?
  • MiniBass
    Brandon" said:
    is using live prawns effective at bedok jetty ?
    SRY, I NEVER TRIED B4 BUT A LOT OF PEOPLE SAY IT IS FOR GAROPA
  • fukeong
    Kelong Chi can be used as bait ?????????
  • MiniBass
    fukeong" said:
    I don't think so, cause there are so many on the pillars near the jetty, they will come and get it as there are so much of them. Only if you expose their flesh to attract other fishes with its smell maybe, must try...
  • Leon
    fukeong" said:
    yup. Tried using a live 2" long Kelong Chi n caught a Gar Fish.
    Tried also using Kelong Chi fillet with skin for bottom fishing. Zero catch. But that the same if I use prawns. No luck I guess.
    Also good as bait to catch more Kelong Chi's. lol
    Overall, can use as bait. But not as good as Tamban or Fresh Squid.
  • MiniBass
    Leon" said:
    [quote="fukeong"]Kelong Chi can be used as bait ?????????
    Tried also using Kelong Chi fillet with skin for bottom fishing. Zero catch. But that the same if I use prawns. No luck I guess.
    Overall, can use as bait. But not as good as Tamban or Fresh Squid.[/quote]

Kelong Chi the so called '' skin '' not so shiny, that is why cannot attract more fish and so, less catch rate. And if you intend only to cast the whole Kelong Chi out a short distance, it will be better to use Tamban as there is a whole school of Kelong Chi for the fish itself to choose.
  • Mark Song
    kelong chi (aka pirate)?? sure it makes good bait, it depends whether the fishes is there and if the fishes will bite...

everytime i go fishing at bjt, i make a point to catch at least one of the pirate... i'll hook it up to my hand line, and leave it at the bottom of the sea for about half hour, then i'll check.. usually i'd catch at least one fish with my hand line during each trip, the rest of the time i'd be jigging for tamban..
  • MiniBass
    Mark Song" said:
    kelong chi (aka pirate)?? sure it makes good bait, it depends whether the fishes is there and if the fishes will bite...

everytime i go fishing at bjt, i make a point to catch at least one of the pirate... i'll hook it up to my hand line, and leave it at the bottom of the sea for about half hour, then i'll check.. usually i'd catch at least one fish with my hand line during each trip, the rest of the time i'd be jigging for tamban..
    But is kelong chi or tamban better for catching Gar fish?
  • MiniBass
    Mark Song" said:

And BTW, so much tamban can cook har?If can how to cook?
  • Kenn
    which spot of bedok jetty is good for fishing...???...the end of the jetty or the part closer to the beach...
  • Icebomb
    MiniBass" said:
    [quote="Leon"][quote="fukeong"]Kelong Chi can be used as bait ?????????

Kelong Chi the so called '' skin '' not so shiny, that is why cannot attract more fish and so, less catch rate. And if you intend only to cast the whole Kelong Chi out a short distance, it will be better to use Tamban as there is a whole school of Kelong Chi for the fish itself to choose.[/quote]

The kelong chi will probably last longer than the tamban...i think best hardy bait is baby grouper...can last a few hours...good for cuda :D

Anyone knows when the kelong chi will grow to a good size?palm size or so...then can go there get harvest :D
  • MiniBass
    Kenn" said:
    which spot of bedok jetty is good for fishing...???...the end of the jetty or the part closer to the beach...
    End of course...
  • MiniBass
    icebomb" said:
    [quote="MiniBass"][quote="Leon"][quote="fukeong"]Kelong Chi can be used as bait ?????????

Kelong Chi the so called '' skin '' not so shiny, that is why cannot attract more fish and so, less catch rate. And if you intend only to cast the whole Kelong Chi out a short distance, it will be better to use Tamban as there is a whole school of Kelong Chi for the fish itself to choose.[/quote]

The kelong chi will probably last longer than the tamban...i think best hardy bait is baby grouper...can last a few hours...good for cuda :D

Anyone knows when the kelong chi will grow to a good size?palm size or so...then can go there get harvest :D[/quote]

Anytime but they will go to even deeper water or like deep sea where you could only catch at boat fishing in a deep sea. My father caught four fingers size in deep sea with some kakis while waiting for bigger fish to bite.
  • Danielpohst
    MiniBass" said:
    [quote="Kenn"]which spot of bedok jetty is good for fishing...???...the end of the jetty or the part closer to the beach...
    End of course...[/quote]

Not neccessarily. Biggies can be caught nearer to the beach too.

If you observe those frequent patrons who use to be at Bedok Jetty, they parked rows of their hand lines from 2nd to 4th lamp post from the beach. They've caught KBL of size not less than 3 kg in weight, I'm sure many have seen. There's believe that the biggies comes closer to the beach for smaller prey, is why biggies was caught there....

Whether it is the end spot or nearer to the coast, sometimes fishing is about "luck" of the day, that the fish take your bites. :lol:

Good luck and tight lines.
  • seekay 12
    At bedok jetty there are big n small kelong chis. the smallest i caught was ard 5cm. the biggest i caught was ard 15cm.
    put shrimp meat on tamban hooks and u can catch at least 80 in an hr.
    if they are in big schools, avg time to catch will be 2sec/fish.
  • yozuri66
    I heard there is quite a of fishes landed at Bedok Jetty after Phase 2 opening. Anyone has any CR?