Jigging the 3 Kings, NZ with AG

scarpie
edited May 2005 in Catch Reports
thought I would share some images of my recent trip with Mr Liu of AG and his members of the Taiwan over 100kg club.

All the Yellowtail (Kingfish) were released unharmed and ranged from 10kg to 25kg. The big Bass weighed at 65kg and caught be Mr Liu while my Hapuka weighed around 20kg. We used mainly PE8 line and 300-400gm jigs fishing in depths ranging from 75m to 150m.

• scarpie
    opps for the above, but more -

• scarpie
    want more? too bad ....more -

• scarpie
    yes some more -

• scarpie
    last few...

• D. Foo
    Niiice shots Chris! 8) Must you release yellowtail kingfish at the Kings, or was this voluntary release, if so good on you guys... Lots of tasty bass steaks though! ... How d'you tell the difference between a bass and a hapuka? Or are they the same thing? Any striped marlin or yft caught by other boats while you were at the Kings?

cheers - dustin
  • Melvin Lee
    Great CRs Chris.
  • fosey
    what kind of bass is that?
  • ~Team Tico~ Ripkurl
    Wonderful pictures, scarpie. I'm curious as well, cos the bass and hapuka look similar to me.

Cheers!
  • scarpie
    Thanks guys.
    To answer your questions, there is quite a difference between the Bass and the Hapuka (Grouper) but I must admit that the one I caught was really fat which makes it difficult to ID at times. The Hapuka is usually a lot leaner and has a longer overhanging bottom jaw., it also has a more square tail and has a smaller head to body proportion than the Bass (Wreakfish). The body of the Bass is quite round and has a varigated colour on its side. These fish were kept to bring home and are some of the best eating NZ fish around.

Dustin, there were a few marlin C&R'd over the time we were there, this summer has been red hot for billfish and many game boats dont even bother coming all the way out to the 3 Kings. There is plenty of Marlin around Northcape and we heard of plenty of dropped Marlin and dropped YFT too. A few boats were successfully live baiting for Marlin. Unfortunately we did not have any come into our lure spread probably because we were not trolling the contours. Because AG and the boys were not interested in Marlin, we just trolled from A to B hoping to get lucky - we didn't.
    It is standard practise to C&R Kingfish although some boats have a one Kingfish kill per angler policy. I have never killed a Kingfish because there are far better eating fish around and there has never been a Kingfish killed or kept (unless sharked) on any of my trips. About 90% of recreationally caught Kingfish are released in NZ.
  • Melvyn
    nice CR scarpie...makes me wanna go up north to fish... :lol: wondering u gonna get a trip like that soon?
  • scarpie
    The season for this type of fishing is drawing an end but the 3 kings fishes well into May/June. Kingies get bigger during the winter & you can probably get an off-season fishing trip a little cheaper than during the season. If you are interested in Hapuka, keep in touch with SK8 as we often boat fish together for these fish in Wellington.
  • Melvyn
    awesome dude...im meeting sk8 for fishing on sunday afternoon if the weather is good...

cheers
  • blowie
    Hi Scarpie,
    Dont know if u remember me, sold to you a tld and rod a while back. Heres a pic of another kingy, this was with Capt Bert(Tolaga Bay). Very affordable charter, calm seas and very productive spots. Lost of few nice size ones due to hooks pulling though, but I believe there are quite a few much bigger size ones in the Tolaga reef system if you put in enough effort. For those looking towrds the NZ way for kingys without breaking the bank, this is another option.

http://www.charterfishing.co.nz/

• scarpie
    Awww Blowie, you shouldn't be shy. Lets see the face of the happy angler!
    BTW, I think you have mistaken me for another person. I haven't brought a TLD from anyone outside of NZ.

Yup, Bert Lee is a reknown charter fisherman and great for most kinds of fishing. If you really want reliable big ones, you have to go to the 3 Kings, White Island or Ranfurly Banks.
  • blowie
    OOpsss...
    my mistake, I had mistaken you for another of the forummers also from NZ.

cheers
    scarpie" said:
    Awww Blowie, you shouldn't be shy. Lets see the face of the happy angler!
    BTW, I think you have mistaken me for another person. I haven't brought a TLD from anyone outside of NZ.

Yup, Bert Lee is a reknown charter fisherman and great for most kinds of fishing. If you really want reliable big ones, you have to go to the 3 Kings, White Island or Ranfurly Banks.
  • dtyr
    nice crs u've got there....
    hope to c more from u often...

BRs
  • Zendorf
    scarpie:

Damm these are deadly catch. :shock:
    Hell damm those are really killers and hell of experience. :)
    Excellent Catch.
    Wish i can wack some of those.
    I have seen these metal jigs on sale almost every tackle shop in beach road.
    But never came to my interest.
    These pics of yours really convince me getting some of those into my lure collection.

Good Job scarpie. :D
  • d & c
    Hi Scarpie,

I am quite keen to fish at the 3 kings. Wonder if u have any contacts so i can find out more details (i.e. season, cost, min no. of anglers, logistics etc).

Thanks in advance.
    :)
  • scarpie
    d&c, the cost for vesels to fish the 3 kings is NZ$1400 - 1800 per day, there are more expensive vessels around too. They can take a max of 6 or 7 PAX. Food will be additional say $35 p.p. then add your own alcohol & drinks. There are plenty of good vessels available but most will be booked a year in advance so you have to consider seriously making the bookings now. Best season is January to May and you can troll & live bait for the biggies too. I will post some URL for more info.
  • scarpie
    check out this site for fishing report of the 3 kings.
    http://www.fishing.net.nz/reports/index.cfm?RegionID=1
  • Eddie
    Great Catches... CAnt wait to be there myself..
This discussion has been closed.
© Copyright 2016