FK Mini BBQ, Surf Fishing CR & Action Filled Casting!

Melvin Ng
edited September 2005 in Catch Reports
It was an impromptu mini gathering of sorts, and by 6pm, most of us had reached Bedok Jetty for some catching up over a mini BBQ and not to mention surf fishing!

There was a constant breeze blowing in from the north and squid was not surfacing. Tamban was rare in the daytime, but we managed to jig some Tua Bak for bait at night. Baits were casted out, food was prepared :partyman: and we were having a great time chatting. What more can the gang ask for?

Of course, that was SCREECHING REELS!

The first instance came at 3am, where Aric's reel went screaming. However, the mainline broke almost immediately upon setting the hook. So much for 12lb mainline, accidents do happen and that is the reason most jetty regulars prefer minimum 30lb mainlines, to have a decent fighting chance against a rotten seabed with countless items that can cut one's mainline.

At around 3.30am, Sanpan's LD50H gave a short screech. Everyone looked up and after a momentary lapse, the reel's ratchet went into overdrive, with a shrill loudness piercing the silence of the wee hours. Sanpan slipped when he ran to his rod, and a fellow kaki immediately picked up the rod and set the hook. Everyone could see that this was not a small fish, and the first run of the fish easily stripped off more than 100m of line. As time passed, we took turns putting pressure on the fish, trying to turn it's head. One thing for sure, we knew that this one was a mean Stingray, and easily breaching the 20kg mark.

After more than 20 minutes into the fight, Murphy's Law proved itself again. The reel knob of the aftermarket handle of the LD50H was worked loose! After some hurried discussions, a couple of us quickly dismantled a matching handle from my Daiwa SLOSH reel and we conducted a emergency repair, with the Ray still out there! That was some decent FK pitstop work, with teamwork proving itself again. And so, the fight continues......

Alas, after 1 hour and 10 minutes into the fight, the unthinkable happened. For sometime before this, we suspected the fish has firmly buried itself into the sand as it was refusing to budge for a good 20 minutes. After some patient waiting, putting pressure on the fish and strumming of the line, the fish started off on a short run again. Without any warning sign, the mainline burst. Upon inspection later, more than 10 metres of the mainline was very rough, showing signs of abrasion. Everyone was very disappoined as we were very close to seeing the fish, but then again, this encounter will be deeply imprinted into the memory of those who were there on this night. Even as I am tying this catch report, my arms feel like lead. I believe it is so for Edmund and the other guys too.

Roughly an hour later, a nice Threadfin was landed by a fellow angler.

This was an eventful night, and in the morning, there was some comical action going on, but that will be another story. Cheers.
  • Melvin Ng
    Some interesting and comical casting clips!

• dcool
    Wow ! Cool action !! Wish i was there, my gf was out of town so i had the whole day to myself wondering wat to do, didnt wan to waste my "long" weekend, in the end went prawn fishing in Jurong with my friend.

If i knew abt this mini gathering, i would have bought my bottles of wine and 8 ft rod to join you guys !

Pity abt the lost of the ray, but i am sure nothing beats great company when fishing. :D
  • chineseguy_1979
    wow action and action all the way. this time go HB see can make more video or not haa
  • ken_boy
    May I know who is the guy with lotsa tattoos around him?
    I seem to know him....
    If I am not wrong...he used to camp regurlarly at BJT last time...

Ken
  • chris@sg
    kinda cute casting style..

miss bjt ..
  • captainkembong
    excellent outing! next time must pop by and kay poh kay poh a bit (that is if u guys dunt mind lah), sounds like a great time was had by all and the casting videos are funny to say that least
  • Anonymous
    captainkembong" said:
    excellent outing! next time must pop by and kay poh kay poh a bit (that is if u guys dunt mind lah), sounds like a great time was had by all and the casting videos are funny to say that least
    You should! Next time please look out for our outing post again. The videos were made possible with a "special" reel that catered us to do the following feats. Casting with eyes closed, blind folded, cast-n-forget(no thumb control), casting moves like John Travolta... Basically, the best reel to be owned by a beginner, fail safe guarantee(who needs a teacher for surf casting) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look out for the review on this particular mutliplier reel, even Edmund was astonished of it's capability. Instant stop without beehoon(backlashed) after the sinker landed instanteneously on the water. :smt023 :smt040
  • Anonymous
    ken_boy" said:
    May I know who is the guy with lotsa tattoos around him?
    I seem to know him....

Ken
    He is Lor Kor, the younger brother of Hor Qiu. All of them are my old BJT Kakis.
  • Anonymous
    Jack Lai" said:
    [quote="captainkembong"]excellent outing! next time must pop by and kay poh kay poh a bit (that is if u guys dunt mind lah), sounds like a great time was had by all and the casting videos are funny to say that least
    You should! Next time please look out for our outing post again. The videos were made possible with a "special" reel that catered us to do the following feats. Casting with eyes closed, blind folded, cast-n-forget(no thumb control), casting moves like John Travolta... Basically, the best reel to be owned by a beginner, fail safe guarantee(who needs a teacher for surf casting) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look out for the review on this particular mutliplier reel, even Edmund was astonished of it's capability. Instant stop without beehoon(backlashed) after the sinker landed instanteneously on the water. :smt023 :smt040[/quote]

Yes, an eye opener for me. Jack, I hv a little request for you and that is to have a write-up for a reel like yours.
  • Aero_GT
    Edmund Tan" said:
    [quote="ken_boy"]May I know who is the guy with lotsa tattoos around him?
    I seem to know him....

Ken
    He is Lor Kor, the younger brother of Hor Qiu. All of them are my old BJT Kakis.[/quote]Haha still can recall his 'qing ting dian shui' move when he run fron beside the tentage to the left hand corner,hahaha he even got a swollen left arm muscle after that,also when the moment the line going to b stripped dry by the giant ray,all of us so gan jiong the Lor Kor lock the drag to see either he win the last few meters of line or the giant,luckily the raystart to slow down abit n manage to gain some line back with the help of Tee Kia n Melvin follow by Lor Kor again then Edmund.Wow imagine the ray landed by my setup,hehe sure 'bo beh zhao' one n make it tired out very fast.Well done guys,evry good team work where 1 person is pouring water,1 is clearing other rods around for better space,2 gaffmen standing by n spectators around to cheer then on....

Edmund hope we have the same experince when we r at Sibu,either u 'toh zhui' for me or i 'toh zhui' for u. 8)
  • Jeremy Koh
    Good Day

Thats a long fight man, must be a huge bugger and as for the casting clips, i chose "superman" as the winner.

Cheers
  • EdWiN-_^
    Hey Heng ah ! You've forgotten to mention my name for filming 30mins of the fight. But i kinda screwed up the filming because i forgotten that i've got a night mode which i can activate. And i was dumb enough to use a LAD light to shine on what i am focusing on. Heh Heh !

By the way, the customed reel is really good manz but abit bulky. Can achieve maxium distance.. If only the reel is a level drag reel, it will be one 'must have' surf-fishing reel. AWESOME CASTING !

Yesterday's gathering was awesome and it reminds me of the FK gathering we had there 2 years back. I really hope that there'll be somemore of this FK gathering coming up.

regards,
    lw
  • captainkembong
    Jack: you left out the most important thing for beginner surf casters (like me) what's the NAME OF THE REEL?????? :D quick! quick! kan cheong already!
  • StOrM
    1 year i no step into BJT liao.. and last night was an eye opener!.. 3 "music" for me to hear n see!!>.. haha.. the 1st by bernie lasted 3 sec?? the 2nd 1 hour+ the last finally got see ppl land threadfin!! casting with long rod n big reels is not hard at all.. when u have reels like Jack's. even 1st timer can cast to 50 meters or more. ( who needs instuctor ) personally i perfer a friend! :roll: :roll: food was great!! by our head chef and soon to be (Team FK shooter head chef) ah teck aka goofy. pity the ray was not landed thou!!.. u guys should be here.. although BJT seldom got big fishes, but u can always find good friends or people to join u n have fun and share ideals.. it beats fishing at restricted places somewhere in southern side and have to climb fences and also scare kena catch by police or kena chase!! what for!!
    good COMPANY and FRIENDS is more than enough to make a good fishing trip!
  • fatcat
    yo yo edwin di di

wao so fun of u 2 see u on the sat nite and did u see the last movie clip wao lao so funny ah hahaha \:D/
  • Aero_GT
    EdWiN-_^" said:
    Hey Heng ah ! You've forgotten to mention my name for filming 30mins of the fight. But i kinda screwed up the filming because i forgotten that i've got a night mode which i can activate. And i was dumb enough to use a LAD light to shine on what i am focusing on. Heh Heh !

By the way, the customed reel is really good manz but abit bulky. Can achieve maxium distance.. If only the reel is a level drag reel, it will be one 'must have' surf-fishing reel. AWESOME CASTING !

Yesterday's gathering was awesome and it reminds me of the FK gathering we had there 2 years back. I really hope that there'll be somemore of this FK gathering coming up.

regards,
    lw
    haha no la i thought wanna take the clip from u frst then edit for u n post with your name on it lo Edwin didi.
  • Gary Lim
    Alamak! You guys were at BJT on Saturday ah? Afternoon isit?

I was there with Vin, icebomb and friend, trying to jig for tamban for Sunday's boat trip!

If you guys were there on Sat afternoon before 4pm, then I was also there, but centre, didn't go to the end.. Vin and ice went there..

Bleh... :?
  • chris@sg
    captainkembong" said:
    Jack: you left out the most important thing for beginner surf casters (like me) what's the NAME OF THE REEL?????? :D quick! quick! kan cheong already!
    think its ..LD50H (daiwa??)

but now of days no longer as fun as last time where 20-30 rods at the back . :/

lots of small short rods peeking out between the jetty setups..
  • Aero_GT
    chris@sg" said:
    [quote="captainkembong"]Jack: you left out the most important thing for beginner surf casters (like me) what's the NAME OF THE REEL?????? :D quick! quick! kan cheong already!
    think its ..LD50H (daiwa??)

but now of days no longer as fun as last time where 20-30 rods at the back . :/

lots of small short rods peeking out between the jetty setups..[/quote]nope bro Chris,aready said its older than u or me liao.....let the master give some review on the reel later..... 8)
  • EdWiN-_^
    Hahaha Xiao Wei ! Even i myself see the way i cast i buay tahan eh.. Damn nice manz ! Anyway, it's really great to see you there. But you look too old liao lah ! Go and shave please... You'll look much betta and younger. Anway, i am really happy too to see yong hui and ah teck ! 3 of you guys are the ones i've not seen for a very long time manz.. Hope to fish with you all soon again !

regards,
    lw
  • fatcat
    di di

when u got ur surfcasting jetty set liao we go bjt loh ok

hope 2 see u soon di di
  • Anonymous
    Here is the clearer shot of "No thumb casting"

• Gary Lim
    haha, swee! :smt023
  • Aero_GT
    Haha swee so calling 'ti kor liang ti kor zhor' u got anything else to debate about?Or u want to angkat bola again?Dun angkat wrong bola ah :lol: :lol:
  • Anonymous
    edited September 2005
    Ok GUYS!!! Here are the reviews you have been impatiently waiting for(extracted from Tackle Talk):

Tackle review is a subject that comprises most technical discussions, quite dry and boring to some. Therefore, before I begin
    here are some forewords:

Technology, many of us will have a perception that the current ones are most amazing and superior. For me, I say otherwise and not
    necessarily. Have you ever wonder how ancient Pyramids were built by the Egyptian? The Great Wall of China? What made these
    structures so strong, with lime stones weighing tons crafted so symetrically and precised? What possibly could be, a structure that
    stands 146.2m tall built without a modern crane? A wall that stretched across the mountains and plateaus with an estimated
    distance of 15,000km. Built without trucks and bulldozers...Many times and more often we are pretty much comparable
    to "A frog living in a well". The sky is merely 3ft wide in circle looking from the bottom of the well. And the most amazingly, the sky belongs
    to the one COUNTRY. Not surprisingly we have such people here, or frog(s), living in his own pathetic world not able to accept that fact
    that sky is no limit.

The side plate was stripped to demo the concepts. There are two brake pads, one on each side of the lever. The lever is pivoted at one of the cross bar, fixed with a spring and adjustment knob.
    Assuming now that the line is cast-ed out. The forward force of the line/sinker flying towards the air, pulling and thus depress the lever. This action will release the brake pads and disengaged from the breams of the spool. The spool will spin freely in accordance to the intended casting. In this case, the distance of the cast is solely dependent to the caster himself.

Upon the sinker reaching the water surface, the line will generally slacken, for now the spring loaded lever will sense ‘automatically’ and the brake pads will come into contact instantaneously to create the braking force on the bream of the spool. The spool is stopped, the line is still nicely packed without having any backlash.

No doubts. This reel was tested by a few people, both surfcasters and non-surfcasters, all alike no problem in achieving perfect NO THUMB and NO BACKLASHES castings. It is a perfect reel for entry level surfcasters or for bottom fishos who simply too lazy to thumb the spool while lowering their sinkers. Unfortunately, the production of such amazing reel was discontinued way back in 1980s. For there are still a few pieces lurking somewhere in the market…try your luck then.

*Edited by John Hooi due to feedback.
  • Anonymous
    The blind folded cast has been taken off the list as we felt that it does not have educational values in it. Besides, we promote safe fishing and casting. Therefore, it is our mistake for posting it up here.

For those who hv seen it especially our younger friends. Please do not attempt to try it.
  • Anonymous
    More casting clips...

• Anonymous
    Surfcast with heavy gears, Penn114...

• SCV
    Hi guys ,
    I was fishing on sat nite with my classmates and in saw u all fighting BIG fish for abt an hour +. May i noe who is the guy with lots of tattoo he looks so pro while fighting the fish. When i saw Melvin fighting the fish for awhile i saw the tattoo guy quickly take back the rod . WAts actually happen........... :(

Regard
    Beginner
  • Melvin Ng
    SCV" said:
    Hi guys ,
    I was fishing on sat nite with my classmates and in saw u all fighting BIG fish for abt an hour +. May i noe who is the guy with lots of tattoo he looks so pro while fighting the fish. When i saw Melvin fighting the fish for awhile i saw the tattoo guy quickly take back the rod . WAts actually happen........... :(

Regard
    Beginner
    I do not recall seeing any group of people that was of school going age. There were so many instances of passing the rod around. Which one are you talking about. If you have a question, you could have asked us on the spot, we are more than glad to answer you.

By the way, you have an interesting nickname, "SCV", but you are using Singnet's Broadband access. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2020