Narrow Spool Reels

CarribeanPirate
edited April 2005 in General Fishing
Wanna try Narrow Spool Reels. Any recommendations?
Any comments/specs like B-665HN Accurate and Daiwa Saltiga (dont know the model number)? I know Accurate one is lever drag but dont know the spec and line capacity and speed. Daiwa Saltiga looks like star drag to me, not very sure leh. Any1 can help with the respective specs? Or other recommendation of good narrow types with good drag and line capacity. Thank u
  • scarpie
    Those reels you ask about are made for jigging. The narrow spool makes it easy to wind in the line without having to spread the line across the wideth of the spool. This way you only need to concentrate on winding the reel. Both 665N & Saltiga are top line reels and therefore expensive! I don't have actual specs but I own a 665 with AG power handle and it is a terrifc reel with lots of drag power and very good winding power. The Saltiga I am not so sure of, it is a star drag therefore slightly limited drag performance compared to a lever drag. The Boss reels come in 2 gear ratios but I think the Saltiga is only 1. I can recommend the Boss reels for jigging but you should get a power handle for it.
  • CarribeanPirate
    Tks. How about comparing Accurate 870 to Penn 16S? Which is better? Of course 16S 2 speed, but compare drag and capacity and speed? Any idea? Tks in advance. :)
  • fishfishfish
    CarribeanPirate" said:
    Tks. How about comparing Accurate 870 to Penn 16S? Which is better? Of course 16S 2 speed, but compare drag and capacity and speed? Any idea? Tks in advance. :)
    Y dun u compare 16s and okuma tg 15 II?

How to compare orange with apple??

870 is meant for jigging purpose whereas 16s is for light trolling and maybe medium bottom rigs.
  • Allen
    CarribeanPirate" said:
    I think you are damn confused. Don't ask anymore.
    Come down to beach road with all your reels, I can get many gurus to explain to u, it only cost you some coffee fee 8)
    And all the drag measured.
  • Nelson
    CarribeanPirate" said:
    Wanna try Narrow Spool Reels. Any recommendations?
    Any comments/specs like B-665HN Accurate and Daiwa Saltiga (dont know the model number)? I know Accurate one is lever drag but dont know the spec and line capacity and speed. Daiwa Saltiga looks like star drag to me, not very sure leh. Any1 can help with the respective specs? Or other recommendation of good narrow types with good drag and line capacity. Thank u
    Can let us know what ground & fish you targeting? i'm sure we minimise your frequuency in buy/sell forum.

Cheers!
  • CarribeanPirate
    fishfishfish" said:
    [quote="CarribeanPirate"]Tks. How about comparing Accurate 870 to Penn 16S? Which is better? Of course 16S 2 speed, but compare drag and capacity and speed? Any idea? Tks in advance. :)
    Y dun u compare 16s and okuma tg 15 II?

How to compare orange with apple??

870 is meant for jigging purpose whereas 16s is for light trolling and maybe medium bottom rigs.[/quote]

Coz come to know someone using it as bottom (accurate). Thus, wanted to know the spec difference. So either get one more of that 16S or something I never try before (the accurate).
  • CarribeanPirate
    Allen" said:
    [quote="CarribeanPirate"]Tks. How about comparing Accurate 870 to Penn 16S? Which is better? Of course 16S 2 speed, but compare drag and capacity and speed? Any idea? Tks in advance. :)
    I think you are damn confused. Don't ask anymore.
    Come down to beach road with all your reels, I can get many gurus to explain to u, it only cost you some coffee fee 8)
    And all the drag measured.[/quote]
    I think should not use the word compare...hehe..
    Just want to know the specs bah. So which corner of beach rd can locate you all? Blur blur sotong coming to town. Can explain here so everyone can share? Going down is too far unless I wanna get something from there.
  • CarribeanPirate
    Nelson" said:

Can let us know what ground & fish you targeting? i'm sure we minimise your frequuency in buy/sell forum.

Cheers!
    Hmmm... Something with high drag and good speed. Can store >500M of braided 50-80lbs. Not necessary 2 speed. Narrow spool coz lazy to spread the lines on the wide type. Can multi use on jigging, bottom? Coz I know of people who cross-use them, so come my decision to try it. Not too gigantic/heavy in size.
  • scarpie
    CP, the more I think of it, the Accurate Boss 665 might be perfect for you but it is a standard width reel so you will need to spread the line. It can take over 400m of PE8 and probably 500m of PE5. It has tremendous drag performance & I have used mine comfortably for bottom bashing and jigging too. The 16S is a trolling reel and very heavy, its drags are probably not as strong as the 665. The 16S will take about 500m of PE8 but is built heavy and strong, not really for carrying all day. The narrow spool 665N will not hold as much line, maybe 350m PE8.
  • CarribeanPirate
    Cool dudez. Thanks. Most probably get 665N although less line by abit. How about 870 and 665, I look at the spec, 870 less line only right? Time for me to get one of this to try.
  • Makaira
    CarribeanPirate" said:
    Cool dudez. Thanks. Most probably get 665N although less line by abit. How about 870 and 665, I look at the spec, 870 less line only right? Time for me to get one of this to try.
    Hi,

Apart from difference in line cap between the 665 & 870, the 665 also has bigger drags & better cranking power by virtue of it's bigger diameter i.e. more line per crank.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • CarribeanPirate
    Makaira" said:
    [quote="CarribeanPirate"]Cool dudez. Thanks. Most probably get 665N although less line by abit. How about 870 and 665, I look at the spec, 870 less line only right? Time for me to get one of this to try.
    Hi,

Apart from difference in line cap between the 665 & 870, the 665 also has bigger drags & better cranking power by virtue of it's bigger diameter i.e. more line per crank.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Makaira[/quote]
    Hi,
    I remember that you give many good advice on reels. I am more or less towards 665N as I have already other equavilence but not narrow. Between Saltiga and 665H, what would you get?
  • Makaira
    CarribeanPirate" said:
    Between Saltiga and 665H, what would you get?
    Hi CP,

Thanks for the compliment :oops: Just doing my part to try & help fishos spend their money wisely. Money is harder & harder to earn these days :cry: It is such a sad thing to see people selling their near brand new equipment at big discounts because they bought something that is wrong for the intended application :(

Well, how should I put it without "offending" loyalists of either camps :twisted: Both reels IMHO are top notch high quality reels. The obvious difference is that one is a stardrag & the other is a lever drag.

My advice is if you have a need to cast irons often i.e. swimming metal jigs like Raiders or intend to pop or cast plugs with the reel, go for the Saltiga. If bottom fishing,vertical jigging or livebaiting is your game, go for the lever Twindrag Accurate Boss. IMHO, leverdrags are more robust then stardrags.

Having said that, if you have an educated thumb & good casting technique, you can cast an the Accurate as well, albeit with less distance than the Saltiga -- even with the new models with cast control. IMHO, the Boss is more for pitching baits or short distance casting to chuck the jig or bait away from the boat & letting the currents carry it away.

A lever drag will also be more versatile in live baiting situations as well because you can easily control the amount of drag you want to control the baitfish before the quarry takes the bait -- something very useful in targetting billfish.

Hope I have answered your questions. Opinions differ of course.

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • CarribeanPirate
    Yap. Thanks alot for the input. Actually all alot have been waiting for your wonder advice, I thought you have disappeared after you post on drag. I remember in the old forum days, you are always around to pop in and answer our doubts. I have decided what I need already.
  • shineshy
    Bro Makaira,

issit true...665 has a max drag of 15kg..2kg more than saltiga S series ? :?:
  • Makaira
    shineshy" said:
    issit true...665 has a max drag of 15kg..2kg more than saltiga S series ? :?:
    Hi shineshy,

To tell you the truth, I really don't know :oops: The reason being I do not judge the capability of a reel by how much max drag it can dish out so I never asked. It may well be true as it certainly looks like it is capable of it. Give AO a call to ask them (62947567). They should know. Perhaps other forummers have the information? Scarpie? Any feedback after your recent Yellowtail trips?

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • shineshy
    no problem..will be going down to find out more..:P thks.