Crescent Perch

raymond ee
edited April 2005 in General Fishing
hi guys... can this be eaten?? where can i catch them?
and use wad bait?
i catch them b4 at my camps jetty, but i ord..
:(....
  • Michael Lim
    You mean this fella :



    They congregrate at lots of coastal areas including Kallang River and Singapore River. Caught this specimen there on a fly. They are greedy fishes which attacks anything which resembles either a baitfish or a small shrimp in the water.


    Cheers,
  • raymond ee
    yup!!! this is what i am looking for! can we eat them?? taste good??
  • Michael Lim
    raymond ee" said:
    yup!!! this is what i am looking for! can we eat them?? taste good??
    Eating, I'm not sure on how well it taste, but it should be edible. I normally release them after the fight.


    Cheers,
  • Alan
    Be careful when holding the fish to unhook... the gill plate has a needle sharp point that can prick you easily.
  • Aaron
    I have also caught this fish before.I was told it also named as kelong chi and is consider a pest when catching baitfish.Remember it once flood bedok jetty and there one period where the tambam population decrease because of it


  • Captain Yesterday
    I haven't seen many of those big ones around, but there are lots of finger size ones along Kallang river. They're awesome bait stealers and are a nightmare as a group! Edible, but taste is so-so.
  • dorkster
    looks the same as a Kelong Chi...alot at Bedok Jetty few months back....issit the same? Pesky l'il critters....
  • Michael Lim
    dorkster" said:
    looks the same as a Kelong Chi...alot at Bedok Jetty few months back....issit the same? Pesky l'il critters....
    Also known as Kelong Chi. The names are different, but the fish is the same.
    They may be pesky, but they are good for beginners to learn how to play with ultralight tackle (puts up a good fight too).
  • dwang
    Aaron" said:
    I have also caught this fish before.I was told it also named as kelong chi and is consider a pest when catching baitfish.Remember it once flood bedok jetty and there one period where the tambam population decrease because of it
    hee...nice lure u got ther. i have 1 too...haha, cativa. this color also wrks like magic. btw, have u tried the gold color 1? thinking of getting it. but not sure if it is gd..
  • Aaron
    dwang" said:
    [quote="Aaron"]I have also caught this fish before.I was told it also named as kelong chi and is consider a pest when catching baitfish.Remember it once flood bedok jetty and there one period where the tambam population decrease because of it
    hee...nice lure u got ther. i have 1 too...haha, cativa. this color also wrks like magic. btw, have u tried the gold color 1? thinking of getting it. but not sure if it is gd..[/quote]

    Thanks.Actually bought this lure long ago in the forum.I heard the white one work well for koi and kalui too.However there some colour that is already not avaliable in shop.Fishing buddy got a few rare colour hanging at the wall at the cashier there.Another place maybe sabre i guess :D
  • Trevor
    dwang" said:
    [quote="Aaron"]I have also caught this fish before.I was told it also named as kelong chi and is consider a pest when catching baitfish.Remember it once flood bedok jetty and there one period where the tambam population decrease because of it
    hee...nice lure u got ther. i have 1 too...haha, cativa. this color also wrks like magic. btw, have u tried the gold color 1? thinking of getting it. but not sure if it is gd..[/quote]

    yeah soon the magic will be passed on to me right bro? heheheh...
  • dwang
    Trevor" said:

    yeah soon the magic will be passed on to me right bro? heheheh...
    ya lah ya lah, but i wan the grren bass look but from the tree top 1st..hahahaha
  • dwang
    GREEN i mind
  • crabbies
    ever seen those pesky kelong chi in the range of ard 20~25cm in the south west of sgp, wonder if anyone seen those "giant" size before :wink:
  • hardhat
    they're also known as Banded Perch. yah, remebered they used to infest BJT, usually end of year, chasing away our beloved tamban.

    they don't go after feathered jigs but will pinch at your apollo prawn meat hooks. the regulars using hae-poh curse when these 'pests' try to steal the bait and get hooked. the ah-laus just throw them on the floor and let the crows get them, quite sad... heard they don't make good bait.

    they are very easy to catch. just for fun, bait any small hook with prawn meat and eventually one unlucky fella will get hooked. but beware of the erect spines on the back when de-hooking. as for taste, i tried eating the few too injured to release, no point wasting. taste ok when fried lah.
Sign In or Register to comment.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016
All times are UTC