Striper Sunday

Chinook
edited May 2005 in Catch Reports
Got up early this morning and tested the Sacramento River waters for striped bass activity. Yesterday I blanked as the school had moved upriver. Coupled with the weekend boating activity, any bass around today will be spooked and wary.
I decided to use a salmon live-bait (size 3/0) hook instead and buried the entire hook into a big chunk of cut sardine. 20-minutes later, I noticed a light tap-tap-tap on the line. Assuming it was a small fish nibbling at the bait, I ignored it.
A few minutes later my rod almost doubled over and I grabbed it and set the hook! It was a 13-lb female striped bass and it gave me a pretty decent run for my money. After I netted it, I noticed that the fish had swallowed tbe hook deep down in its throat. Caught 2 more 17-19 inch stripers but released them back into the river.

• Chinook
    I had to put my hand into the striper's mouth holding a pair of needle-nose pliers in order to extract the live-bait hook buried deep in its throat. Consequently, it resulted in the demise of the fish not long after even thouh I had it back in the water tied to a nylon cord. The post-mortem photo of its throat reflects the internal injury and bleeding that occurred from the extraction of the hook.

• Jacktrevally
    Nice striper Bass.... :)
  • jerkylll
    nice catch ! but gross for the last pic ! :( :( :( :(
  • Chinook
    jerkylll" said:nice catch ! but gross for the last pic !
  • Chinook
    And another! Feel better now, Jerky?

• barraa
    Chinook" said:
    Got up early this morning and tested the Sacramento River waters for striped bass activity. Yesterday I blanked as the school had moved upriver. Coupled with the weekend boating activity, any bass around today will be spooked and wary.
    I decided to use a salmon live-bait (size 3/0) hook instead and buried the entire hook into a big chunk of cut sardine. 20-minutes later, I noticed a light tap-tap-tap on the line. Assuming it was a small fish nibbling at the bait, I ignored it.
    A few minutes later my rod almost doubled over and I grabbed it and set the hook! It was a 13-lb female striped bass and it gave me a pretty decent run for my money. After I netted it, I noticed that the fish had swallowed tbe hook deep down in its throat. Caught 2 more 17-19 inch stripers but released them back into the river.

Hi Chinook,

u live in Sacramento? i didn't noe there r stripers there (pardon my ignorance). Must have been good fight on light gear. R they available all yr round or only during the summer? I'd be heading over to CA this july, any chance for mi to fish them at dat period? Txs for ur replies.
  • Chinook
    Hi Chinook,
    u live in Sacramento? i didn't noe there r stripers there (pardon my ignorance). Must have been good fight on light gear. R they available all yr round or only during the summer? I'd be heading over to CA this july, any chance for mi to fish them at dat period? Txs for ur replies.

Hi Barraaa,

The striped bass migrate in schools from the Pacific Ocean and up the Sacramento River twice a year - in Spring (mid-March to May) and in the Fall (mid-August to mid-October).
    The biggest runs are in Spring hence the better chance of catching your limit. Fun to catch on light gear but will be unable to land it if you hooked a big one.
    A 6-knot river current together with underwater obstacles (rocks, debris, sunken logs, etc.) could snag and break light lines with impunity. Most people fish for striped bass using 10 to 20-lb test lines.
    Month of July makes you about 5 months too early for salmon or steelhead fishing and 2 months too late for striped bass fishing in the river.

But when are in California come July, you have the following choices;
    1A. Pacific Ocean (Northern California waters - salmon, rock cod, halibut, ling cod, kelp bass, flounder, surf perch, etc. Party boats are available.
    1B. Pacific Ocean (Southern California) - bonito, barracuda, mackeral, yellowfin tuna, albacore, calico bass, flounder, halibut, cobia, sea bass, surf perch, etc.). Party boats are available.
    2. Low elevation lakes and rivers - largemouth/smallmouth bass, crappie, catfish, pumpkinseed, squawfish. Trout & kokanee in deep lakes.
    2. Sierra Nevada Mountain lakes.streams, rivers - rainbow, brook and brown trout. Some lakes also have largemouth/smallmouth bass too.

So when exactly and where will you be in California and length of your stay? Will you have a rental car? Given additional background data, I can be more specific pertaining to my suggestions if you plan on doing some fishing while you're here.
    Regards.
  • barraa
    Chinook" said:
    Hi Chinook,

Hi Barraaa,

The striped bass migrate in schools from the Pacific Ocean and up the Sacramento River twice a year - in Spring (mid-March to May) and in the Fall (mid-August to mid-October).
    The biggest runs are in Spring hence the better chance of catching your limit. Fun to catch on light gear but will be unable to land it if you hooked a big one.
    A 6-knot river current together with underwater obstacles (rocks, debris, sunken logs, etc.) could snag and break light lines with impunity. Most people fish for striped bass using 10 to 20-lb test lines.
    Month of July makes you about 5 months too early for salmon or steelhead fishing and 2 months too late for striped bass fishing in the river.

But when are in California come July, you have the following choices;
    1A. Pacific Ocean (Northern California waters - salmon, rock cod, halibut, ling cod, kelp bass, flounder, surf perch, etc. Party boats are available.
    1B. Pacific Ocean (Southern California) - bonito, barracuda, mackeral, yellowfin tuna, albacore, calico bass, flounder, halibut, cobia, sea bass, surf perch, etc.). Party boats are available.
    2. Low elevation lakes and rivers - largemouth/smallmouth bass, crappie, catfish, pumpkinseed, squawfish. Trout & kokanee in deep lakes.
    2. Sierra Nevada Mountain lakes.streams, rivers - rainbow, brook and brown trout. Some lakes also have largemouth/smallmouth bass too.

So when exactly and where will you be in California and length of your stay? Will you have a rental car? Given additional background data, I can be more specific pertaining to my suggestions if you plan on doing some fishing while you're here.
    Regards.
    Tentatively, I'll b there in july for abt 3 wks, staying in livermore. Yes, i'll a rented car. If my memory did not fail mi, i drove up to Sacramento last yr, took abt less than 2 hrs (can't really remember clearly coz drove to a no. of places). I was thinking of having a try at rainbows n browns this coming trip if i manage to squeeze some time. Have u try dat b4? By the way, r u a S'porean or a local?

Cheers
  • Chinook
    Tentatively, I'll b there in july for abt 3 wks, staying in livermore. Yes, i'll a rented car. If my memory did not fail mi, i drove up to Sacramento last yr, took abt less than 2 hrs (can't really remember clearly coz drove to a no. of places). I was thinking of having a try at rainbows n browns this coming trip if i manage to squeeze some time. Have u try dat b4? By the way, r u a S'porean or a local? Cheers

Hi Barraa,
    Livermore is only about a 70-minute drive to Sacramento. Since you will be here for about 3 weeks, we can do some trout (rainbow, brown, brook) fishing together in the Sierras which is a 2-hour drive from Sacramento at my favorite holes (river and lakes) near Lake Tahoe.

I will be happy to teach you how to fish effectively for them. I have a fair number of trout rods and spinning reels unless you prefer to tote your own gear over. This weekend, I will re-post some of my Sierras trout fishing photos online for you and others who are interested in trying it while here on business or vacation. Trout season opens at the end of this month in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Also, there are the lakes Del Valle and Shadow Cliffs by Livermore where you can plug for largemouth/smallmouth bass, float fish for crappie/sunfish or bottom-fish for channel catfish in the evenings before sunset. You are also close to the Sacramento River delta region and other foothill lakes east of Stocktom. One thing you will need is a fishing license if you plan to fish. I was originally from KL. Please email me with your email address.
    Regards.
  • Chinook
    Barraa,
    Here's a link to an earlier post on Striped Bass fihsing
    and also what to see and do in Sacarmento.
    Regards.

http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324
  • barraa
    Hi Chinook,

After looking at ur fantastic pics really makes mi wanna jump on the nex flight out to CA. Nice views of Sacromento, didn't noe it's so interesting over there.

"Since you will be here for about 3 weeks, we can do some trout (rainbow, brown, brook) fishing together in the Sierras which is a 2-hour drive from Sacramento at my favorite holes (river and lakes) near Lake Tahoe"

Heard one gonna engage a guide, and the rates goes from US$300-$600 per day. Correct mi if i'm wrong. Lake Tahoe...hmm...it shld be beautiful at this time. The lake shld be no longer frozen, i presume since it's oredi spring.

I didn't noe there r places to fish in livermore. Had thought I had to go to mountains for trouts and sea for some back breaking action.
  • Chinook
    Heard one gonna engage a guide, and the rates goes from US$300-$600 per day. Correct mi if i'm wrong. Lake Tahoe...hmm...it shld be beautiful at this time. The lake shld be no longer frozen, i presume since it's oredi spring.
    I didn't noe there r places to fish in livermore. Had thought I had to go to mountains for trouts and sea for some back breaking action.

Hi Barraa,
    I last went fishing with a licensed fishing guide back in the late '80's when a friend and I went after trophy native rainbow trout in the Sacramento River out of Redding, California. We drifted all day down the river in a dory handled by the professional guide. We stopped often to wade and fish prospective spots and deep holes for lunker trout.
    I do not fish Lake Tahoe - I fish other smaller lakes and rivers instead. Lake Tahoe is never frozen. Even the small lakes do not freeze over in the Sierras as the weather is not that extreme in California.
    If you are interested in trout fishing up in the Sierras some weekend when you are in Livermore, let me know.
    Regards.
  • barraa
    Hi Chinook,

definitely i'll be interested to try when i'm there in livermore. I can even have some weekday evenings to try out, if the places ain't too far away from where i stay. Some days if i'm lucky i'd get off as early as noon, guess u would understand the way life works out there :lol: :lol:

When i was back there last may, i'd heard from my local colleagues that certain part of the lake was frozen and ppl could even skate on it, but nvr really go up to check out. So is this place sierras near livermore or is it in sacrmento?

P.S I'd emailed u, cheeck it out.

Cheers
  • Chinook
    Hi Barraa,
    I apologise for my error about the Sierra lakes in the winter. Some of the smaller higher-elevation lakes in the Sierra Nevadas do freeze over during the winter like the one we fished a few winters ago. Here's a shot of that lake before it frozed over.
    Regards.

• barraa
    Hi Chinook,

No prob, i was just curious to find out if the lakes do get frozen. So u were doing 'ice'-fishing at that time? :lol: :lol:
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016