OT. Need Help On Digital Camera

uncle
edited April 2005 in General Fishing
Got to admit I am dam lousy with electronics and button pressing.. :oops:

So I am looking for a user friendly digital camera that is not too complicating to operate and just incase I need to load pics to the pc or forum I dont need "ten thousand people" to tell me how to do it.

My intended budget is about $500 and I have narrowed down to 2 make and that is Cannon or Nikkon. But lately I have seen a Kodak and it seems very reasonable and easy to operate.

Any comment and recommendations please.
  • Anonymous
    uncle" said:

So I am looking for a user friendly digital camera that is not too complicating to operate and just incase I need to load pics to the pc or forum I dont need "ten thousand people" to tell me how to do it.

My intended budget is about $500 and I have narrowed down to 2 make and that is Cannon or Nikkon. But lately I have seen a Kodak and it seems very reasonable and easy to operate.

For preferences in order of choice, here are my opinions:

1. Nikon(Japan) => One of the well known earliest Professional camera manufacturer. Reliable and excellent technology in photograhic equipments

2. Canon(Japan) => Good in most SLR cameras and digital gadgets.

3. Kodak(USA) => Core business is photo paper, later came into cameras and photograhic equipments. Relatively ok with cameras techy.

If you want to simplify the hassle of getting the picts out of the camera, you can buy a 3-in-1 memory card reader(USB type). Plug the reader to your PC and insert the SDram or MMC into the reader. The PC will pick up those picts with a click of the mouse, and that's simple. A decent reader will not cost you too much, probably less than 40bucks.
  • shineshy
    uncle" said:

Well, its a habit..for singaporean to find out more..b4 decide..rite..*smile*

Try this site..very informative...*hope it helps* :wink:

http://www.dpreview.com/[/url]
  • banhock
    Hi Uncle

Nikon and Cannon are probably one of the leaders in Digital Photography.

I started photography using Nikon SLR camera with Films. Now I have gone to using Cannon A80. Kodak is gets its name from photography films not photography technology.
    What ever your choice is take note of the following points.
    1. Power up must be fast. Less than 1sec.
    2. Advantage to have AA battery power supply because it is readily available.
    3. Those special battery size has the disadvantage of difficulty in getting replace if you don't have a charger with you. My friend bought a Cannon ixus, went to Korea dicovered all their plugs are 2pin plug. His charger is a 3pin plug. Ended up borowing my power plug.
    4. Try to get a unit with SD memory card. Because if you want to expand memory. SD cards are cheaper. Cannon has switch their memory card from CF to SD.
    5. Make sure you can adjust the ISO speed to 400 or more. This will come in handy when night photography is needed.
    6. Macro photography is also a must. Try to get as close as 3cm or 5cm.
    7. Hand shake function is also a must. To test, take the camera, shake it like your waving your hand to say goodbye, then click to see the out come.
    8. Continuous focusing is good for sports action.
    9. Multi frame shoot would be nice
    10. Video camera function of 640x480 resolution is a bonus. Sony's camera can give 11-12mins on their 256mb memory stick.
    11. High resolution depends on how much your budget can go. For $500 maybe go for a 4Mpixel.
    Good luck uncle
    Can't wait to see your CR with Photos.

Ban
  • uncle
    Tks banhock and all you guys. Informations very helpful. Guess I will go for the Cannon. Unfortunately for a guy like me who knows nuts about Digi Cam, the price is the priority. I guess this is a fact.

cr with pics, well hope to and soon. Talking about cr with pics on the lighter side of life, those who bring cam on fishing trips will loose out - he will be busy taking pics for others and no one will take for him especially during those one in a thousand moment.

Once again, thanks.
  • Captain Yesterday
    Another thing you may want to look out for is lcd size/resolution. Don't have to strain your eyes to see what is in frame or whether in correct focus.

Probably not your preferred brand and little over your budget, but I recommend Fuji F10, about 600 dollars.
    Good points
    -large lcd 2.5"
    -low noise at high iso(better night shooting)
    -good movie quality

No anti-shake functions though, uses xD card.

Linkie

For ease of downloading pictures, most digital cameras are more or less the same. If you aren't downloading too many pictures at one time, you can simply connect the camera to the computer with the cable provided. If you're using windows xp, you don't have to install any programs or drivers.
  • Allen
    uncle" said:

Talking about cr with pics on the lighter side of life, those who bring cam on fishing trips will loose out - he will be busy taking pics for others and no one will take for him especially during those one in a thousand moment.

Once again, thanks.
    Hi uncle, use a camera tripod cramp where we put our on top of the boat -safe n dry place and take the pic with a remote control, you can be inside the picture and fishing too.
  • extractor
    i know kodak cameras aint that famous ard asean countries, but i gotta admit that they do have only a model which could beat alot of other brands hands down!!!! not that other brands r not good but tis particular model excel wif distinction! kodak CX7440, tis u gotta try!!!

price ard $500 4 megapixels

professional lenses from schnezier germany, 4x optical zoom, FOCUSING LESS THAN 1 SEC :shock: SHOT TO SHOT 1.5 SECS (damn fast camera!)
    22 scene mode and can go fully manual if needed. excellent colour and sharpness, high capacity batt abt 200 shots per charge, comes wif INTERNATIONAL fast charger abt 3 hrs oni. large 2.2 inch lcd screen and extremely user friendly. nice grip, gives u a very professional feel when holding it, abit like slr body. :D
  • Michael Lim
    One thing I noticed for a lot of the digital cams, they tend to over-do it on the flash. Anyone share the same thoughts?

I still prefer Nikons for their user-friendliness and the fact that they are one of the top manufacturers in Digital and Film cameras.

Uncle, go for a 4 megapixel and it should do fine.

Cheers,
  • extractor
    megapixels simple define size of printout that u can go 4, not clarity or sharpness, example: if u take a 16 meg pic n print it in a 4R size paper, it will not make any diff even if u use oni 3 meg reason being no printer to date can squeeze 16 million pixels in a 4R size paper, even if it is possible the human eye cant tell the difference, if u want good sharp pics go 4 good lenses like carl zeiss, leica, or schreneider, all german made lenses. 3 meg can go up to A4 size without any loss in quality, higher meg is oni necessary if u need poster size pics or maybe doing professional editing.
  • jonballbrick
    go for one that have more optical zoom then one that depends on digital zoom. finer and sharper pics.
  • linix
    The Canon "A" series (eg. A75, A85) are good all rounders, their auto mode is decent enough, and they also come with some good manual controls, should you decide to play around in future. They also have the advantages of using commonly avaliable AA batteries, and also using the "cheapo" CF cards. The prices of CF cards is hovering around $60-$70 for a 512MB (normal speed).

The Kodak range of "C" and "D" series are also good, their auto mode will usually produce good enough pics. However, IMHO, their manual mode features is abit lacking compared to the Canon "A" series. If selecting Kodak, try to pay more for their models with the better lens. AFAIK, most of their models are also using the commonly avaliable AA batteries. They are using the SD card format, which in recent months, had drop in price to the range of the CF cards.

Some of the advantages of Olympus cameras is that they have some models which are "weather-proof", so call rain and splash "proof, very suitable for fishing uses. However they have quite a number of models using propertiery batteries, and they are also using the more expensive XD card format (almost twice the price of CF and SD cards)

Panasonic also makes good cameras, a number of them are using quality Lecia german lens. Their picture quality is usually good, however some of their models have "weak" flash, making night photography more dificult. Most of their models are using AA batteries and using SD cards.

My favorite is still Ricoh, they have fast start up speed and they excel in marco photography (1 cm). They also have fast shutter speeds, more easy to "catch" the moment. Quite a number also have a good wide angle mode, ranging from 28mm onwards, making it more easy to capture the whole "scene". They also employ the more commonly avaliable AA batteries and SD cards. One major disadvantage of them is that in high ISO modes, their "noise" tend to be on the high side, but that is of not much concern for me, as I could touch up a bit with software, and morever I usually only view them on my PCs, and if I print them, the maximum size is only 4R, all those help "minimise" the noise (from what I can visually see).
  • leroyishere
    im using a canon powershot S30. . . it's a second hand cam. . . my mum's boyfren used it before. . . den gave it to me cuz he had a new one. . .

its quite a decent camera. . . 3.2 megapixels (already very clear)
    and quite idiot proof? haha. . . just read thru the manual and u'll get the gist of it after using it for one or two times =)
  • tmlim
    I’m having this Olympus camera, which is weather-proof and can be kept inside ones pocket during fishing (about 4" in length). More importantly, it features sharp/natural colored photos with a 4.0 megapixel CCD and 16 shooting options, including QuickTime® Movie Mode with audio.
    Court is advertising in the paper - selling at $499.

Cheers
    tmlim

• linix
    When buying a digital cam within a certain buget, do factor in the price of additional memory cards and rechargeable NiMH batteries/chargers (for those using AA batteries), and maybe a card reader.

In buying memory cards, it pays to top up abit more for the High Speed ones. Same thing with card readers, it pays to pay more for a USB 2.0, instead of a USB 1.1 one. The card readers should be in the range of $20++ for those multiple "formats" card readers.
  • FishFinder
    Hi

Any comments on Panasonic DMC-LZ2 ? I intend to buy cause the function seems very good, with 6x optical zoom, 5 megapixel, Image Stabilizer ... but don't know how good is it... and the price is quite reasonable @ $599 :D Thanks
  • uncle
    Once again thanks everyone. I have decided this moment I will be picking up the Cannon A 400 with 3.2 megapixel, 2.2 optical zoom. This also comes with a 128 mb sd card ( no idea what this card is, not even a discount card). The option power supply with 2 double AA batteries is as I noticed is very useful and not sure if this cam has this feature until I look at it tomorow. The package also includes things like mini tripod, bags and cleaning stuff for $319. I think for a novice like me this perhaps suffice.

I really and sincerely very appreciative all the infos you guys gave and also to Yogi and IMX giving me a quick and detail run down of what to look for this afternoon.

The Chinese saying goes...."eat until you're old then come and learn" :oops: what to do...and I have lots more to learn from you guys out there.

Tks
  • Allen
    uncle" said:
    I will be picking up the Cannon A 400 with 3.2 megapixel, 2.2 optical

The Chinese saying goes...."eat until you're old then come and learn" :oops: what to do...and I have lots more to learn from you guys out there.

Tks
    Hi uncle, nice small cam. to start with.
    Hopefully we will be able to see some cr with pic from u soon :wink:
  • banhock
    Hi Uncle

Forget to add, when to buy is also important. I recommend you wait for the next computer exhibition to come out this coming June School Holiday. There should be alot of free gifts pack together with the camera. Most of the time it comes with a bigger memory card say 256MB. A tripod maybe. some photo printing papers. camera pouch. etc. All this can save you another $100 at least.

Good Luck

Ban
  • mack
    Hi uncle,

Normally, i will purchase camera stuffs from alan photo (sim lim) or cathy photos (Peninsula Plaza ). Recently, i just bought the ixus700.

If price is a concern and wanne check out the market price first before buying then u can email the a/m shops to ask for quotation for camera. Their email are as follow:

1) email@cathayphoto.com.sg

2) alanfoto@singnet.com.sg

regards
    adrian
  • tmlim
    uncle" said:

The option power supply with 2 double AA batteries

Tks
    Hi Uncle,

Just to share with you, NEVER ever buy a DC that uses AA or AAA batteries. It is because the ampere-hour on these batteries is very much lesser than lithium-ion rechargeable batteries i.e. the ability to sustain longer usage.

I used this DC (about 8 years ago) and have to carry more than a kilogram of batteries around for my trips. :lol: The reason being - it can only provide me only up to 10 shots. Unless I could bring a CAR battery :evil: along my trip, I would think otherwise. On the other hand, a lithium-ion battery (present widespread applications in hp, DC and video-camera) can last you up to 100 shots with flashes.

I appreciate very much, your earlier informative tips thru PM on the BSR's trip, I'm willing to loan you an Olympus Camedia DC model C-830L that uses 4xAA (normal/ NiMh/ Nicad) batteries to get a feel of the problems/trainings. If interested, do email me at tmlim123@yahoo.com (since PM here is not working) for me to pass you the camera.

Cheers
  • Michael Lim
    tmlim" said:
    [quote="uncle"]
    The option power supply with 2 double AA batteries

Tks
    Hi Uncle,

Just to share with you, NEVER ever buy a DC that uses AA or AAA batteries. It is because the ampere-hour on these batteries is very much lesser than lithium-ion rechargeable batteries i.e. the ability to sustain longer usage.

I used this DC (about 8 years ago) and have to carry more than a kilogram of batteries around for my trips. :lol: The reason being - it can only provide me only up to 10 shots. Unless I could bring a CAR battery :evil: along my trip, I would think otherwise. On the other hand, a lithium-ion battery (present widespread applications in hp, DC and video-camera) can last you up to 100 shots with flashes.

I appreciate very much, your earlier informative tips thru PM on the BSR's trip, I'm willing to loan you an Olympus Camedia DC model C-830L that uses 4xAA (normal/ NiMh/ Nicad) batteries to get a feel of the problems/trainings. If interested, do email me at tmlim123@yahoo.com (since PM here is not working) for me to pass you the camera.

Cheers[/quote]

I believe that the technology has improved a great deal from that era. And nowadays, when you use rechargeable batteries. They do give you very decent number of shots as compared to the older digital cameras. I know what you have mentioned is true (in the past... I had one which burned batteries like it was burning dynamite fuses... 5 shots and batts are dead)

But these days, they are getting better at the power management and the newer batteries (like the 2500mAh from Sanyo and 2300mAh from other brands like PowerEx) are very good at keeping their charge and giving you a good run for the power.

Cheers,
  • uncle
    Hi tmlim

Tks a million for the offer but dont need the cam for any immediate trip. Just felt that I need a decent cam. Previously use to buy those Fuji films that comes in a use and throw camera.

Will email you. Tks once again.
  • tmlim
    Hi Mike,

I'm not sure about other brands of rechargeable batteries, but I have ten of the 2500mAh from Sanyo, which exhibit significant memory effect after less than 10 chargings. Maybe it is due to batch/equipment or the basic reason for lithium-ion being more expensive than the conventionals :?:

I'm no expert in this area but just personal observations.

Cheers
  • Michael Lim
    tmlim" said:
    Hi Mike,

I'm not sure about other brands of rechargeable batteries, but I have ten of the 2500mAh from Sanyo, which exhibit significant memory effect after less than 10 chargings. Maybe it is due to batch/equipment or the basic reason for lithium-ion being more expensive than the conventionals :?:

I'm no expert in this area but just personal observations.

Cheers
    Which charger are you using?? The default one from Sanyo? Do note that the Sanyo batteries do work hotter than the other batteries.

Apparently from a fren who tested quite a few different chargers for his project, the PowerEx charger is one of the best in the market at the moment and I'm using them as we speak.

If there are any more changes to the holding charge and storage power, I'll report them in future.

Cheers,
  • Ecar0h
    Hi uncle, if you don't mind 2nd hand cameras, you can always try sg.auctions.yahoo.com or clubsnap.com.sg. There are quite a few good bargains where you may be lucky and get an under-a-yr old good condition DSC for like less than 250 (3-4 mega pixel at times!). Major brands like Canon A series, Nikon Coolpix, Fuji Fxxx, Olys are all up for grabs. I personally have maximised my dollar purchasing DSCs (they're known as Digital Still Cameras; although some of them actually can record short videos w sound even).

One thing is for sure, if you're gonna take the camera out to sea to capture "moments of glory" and if its just for posting on the net, you don't really need anything more than a 2mp (3 is really very good liao). For the purpose of simple point-n-shoots, I don't really see the need to bring expensive electronic equipment on board (ie. high-end handphones, big megapixel digital cameras, etc EXCEPT for electronic reels for the right occasion!). Although I own a better camera, I'm still using a Fuji F150 (1.5 megapixels) that I got off yahoo for like <50 bucks to go out for trips, and its served me well to this very day.

Let me know if you need help with yahoo auctions, I'm sure I can find something good for you. ;)
  • Ecar0h
    FishFinder
    Blur Sotong

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:54 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Any comments on Panasonic DMC-LZ2 ? I intend to buy cause the function seems very good, with 6x optical zoom, 5 megapixel, Image Stabilizer ... but don't know how good is it... and the price is quite reasonable @ $599 Thanks
    Hi there, just to offer you a lil pc of advice with this query: Panasonic cameras offer Mega OIS (Optical Image Stabilization), which is a pretty nifty feature that stabilises your shots. However, maintenance of such lenses are rather costly, and bank-breaking to repair. For the sake of capturing pics for fishing trips, its best to consider a camera that can take it rough.

If you're thinking of getting it for day-to-day purposes, I guess its up to you to decide on the model loh. For panasonic, I'd have to say the DMC-FX7 is a better buy than the LZ2.

Rgds!