Max Drag for TLDs

sk8
edited April 2005 in General Fishing
Hi there,

Would anyone be able to advise me what the max drag that can be achieved by a TLD 25 and 30? I've looke throught the manuals and shimano websites but could not find the information.

Thanks.
  • Michael Lim
    sk8" said:
    Hi there,

Would anyone be able to advise me what the max drag that can be achieved by a TLD 25 and 30? I've looke throught the manuals and shimano websites but could not find the information.

Thanks.
    From another website,
    the typical max drag should be in the range of 14 - 16lbs without losing freespool.
    Do note that this frame is not meant to take too much stress either, it was designed to fish with 25lbs and 30lbs line respectively. Given the rule of the 1/3's, you should only be looking at 8.3 lbs and 10lbs.

Cheers,
  • Allen
    Hi,
    Orginal TLD 30 can load up to 22lbs of smooth drag from my US version manual. Accordingly TLD25 and 20 is also the same class.

But u can tune it to 20kg, use it at 15kg the frame should be able to stand this load.

Rdgs
    Allen
  • Makaira
    Allen" said:
    But u can tune it to 20kg, use it at 15kg the frame should be able to stand this load.
    Hi,

IMHO, the TLD 2 speeds are fantastic reels when fished within their limits -- hard to beat in terms of value.

However, if you plan to fish heavy line at high drag settings, it is advisable to change the graphite frame to aftermaket metal ones like those sold by Tiburon & Wils in the US. I seriously suggest that you do not fish a TLD 20 or 30 at 20kg or even 15kg drag setting; stock. The guts may well be able to handle this high drag setting, but you probably have to blurprint it so as not to lose freespool. However, the main problem is that the frame may give way at the point where the reel seat is attached to the frame under prolonged stress.

Well, all I can say is fish safe .... & opinions differ, of course,

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • sk8
    Thanks guys. This new forum is alive and well- 3 quality replies within the hour :D .

The reason I'm asking is because I can't figure out why most anglers in NZ (where I'm based) choose to load 80lb (if fishing with braid) line on to a TLD25 or 30. I thought 50lb-65lb would suffice on the reel which I suspected to be designed for no more than 10-15kg of drag before something breaks. Already, I have heard of 2 cases of TLD25s breaking (one at the reel foot) when fished with 80lb braid. To provide more abrasion resistance is not really the reason because a 200-400lb mono leader is used at the business end of the rig.

Cheers.
  • Allen
    Makaira" said:
    [quote="Allen"]But u can tune it to 20kg, use it at 15kg the frame should be able to stand this load.
    Hi,

IMHO, the TLD 2 speeds are fantastic reels when fished within their limits -- hard to beat in terms of value.

However, if you plan to fish heavy line at high drag settings, it is advisable to change the graphite frame to aftermaket metal ones like those sold by Tiburon & Wils in the US. I seriously suggest that you do not fish a TLD 20 or 30 at 20kg or even 15kg drag setting; stock. The guts may well be able to handle this high drag setting, but you probably have to blurprint it so as not to lose freespool. However, the main problem is that the frame may give way at the point where the reel seat is attached to the frame under prolonged stress.

Well, all I can say is fish safe .... & opinions differ, of course,

Best regards,
    Makaira[/quote]

Hi Makaira,
    You could be right, 15kg maybe a little too much for the Nylon frame.
    Actually I had did some works internally, no choice but to test it out in my coming trip to spratly to know the limit. But I will push it slowly first n carefully. :)
    The other reel I will be testing is 16s - can it tahan 25kg drag ?

Btw - notice u r 1 of the 2 premier kaki, how did you pay them ?
  • D. Foo
    TLD25 ... I would personally use with 30# mono with only about 8# drag at strike. (I might load with 40# mono but the heavier mono is purely for abrasion resistance/more lasting - drag settings are the same as with 30#). About 10# is the maximum I would push it and only for fish that won't make big runs.

TLD30 ... Would use with no heavier than 40# mono and about 10# drag at strike. Maybe about 13/14# and 50 to 60# line absolute max and again only to try and stop a fish quickly. Never in a situation where I might expect to lose 2-300 yards under that kind of pressure.

TLD25 and 30 are definitely different reels ... TLD30 has a slightly heavier frame and more cranking power, plus the low gear makes it easier to use heavier drag settings.

Spooling w/ 80 braid is for user friendly, 50-60 braid is very thin, more likely to cut fingers and difficult to level line on spool. Frankly I think TLDs are ideal for light tackle fishing not really suitable for loading with heavy line because of the frame, at the end of the day its a plastic frame and will break under heavy load. fishing in NZ, what are you going to be targeting? If your style of fishing requires heavy line and heavy drag ie high speed jigging for big yellowtail kingfish you should probably go with a different reel. however TLDs would be great for live baiting for smaller to medium kingfish or chunking or light trolling for yellowfin tuna. TLD30 w/ 40# mono and a good quality 30/50 stand up rod is a great combo for tuna up to about 40-50 kgs with bigger fish very possible if you have angler skill and good boat handling. NZ striped marlin are a little big for a novice angler to catch with a TLD30 but it can definitely be done once you have some experience and fishing with a competent skipper.
  • sk8
    D. Foo" said:
    ....... fishing in NZ, what are you going to be targeting? ....
    Gidday Dustin, we fish here for groper/bass in 50-300m of water on the setup. These fish average around 20-40lbs with much larger specimens very common in some parts of the country. Personally, I am very comfortable with 50lb braid on a tld30 although I do have one other reel loaded with 80lb. Thinking about it, I do see an advantage with the heavier line with charter operators as it would be much easier to untangle than a thinner line when you have a big party fishing onboard.

The same reel double up as my land based game fishing gear - I simply put a top shot of about 50m of nylon. Marlin? I'm not ready for that yet :D ! I'd be very very happy with just landing a kingfish off the rocks :D !

Cheers.
  • Makaira
    Allen" said:
    [You could be right, 15kg maybe a little too much for the Nylon frame. Actually I had did some works internally, no choice but to test it out in my coming trip to spratly to know the limit. But I will push it slowly first n carefully. The other reel I will be testing is 16s - can it tahan 25kg drag ?
    Hi Allen,

As far as the graphite TLD 2 speeds are concerned, I don't think the internals need much work. Having opened up the reel before yourself, you should notice that the reel has very solid stainless steel gears. For my own TLD20 2 speed, I have the Tiburon conversion frame, Tiburon Lite handle & the dragplate/bearing upgrade kit. It is still sitting in my house somewhere & never used since the conversion Hahaha!!! I have forgotten what the modified specs are, but I think it will handle 50# mono easy.

As far as the stock 16S ia concerned, if you were to set 25kg drag i.e. 55lb drag doubt you can even push the lever up from free & the spool will probably be frozen dead :shock: I have a couple of blueprinted 16S specified for 60# line & 20# of drag at strike. IMHO 25kg drag is an impossibility for this reel :wink: The MAXIMUM I would personally use on a stock 16S is perhaps 40lb line. It will probably still be able to maintain freespool up to maybe 12-15lb drag at strike. I maybe wrong, go test it out on your reel & let us know how it goes. Drag capability aside, I would be very wary to fish 25lb drag ....... let alone 25kg drag on a 16S. The reel seat & the studs for the clamp do not look very robust to me.

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • Allen
    Makaira,
    I'm looking for the after market alum reel seat now, remember seeing it at AO b4.
    The 25kg is possible with some simple tunning, infact I need 2 other kaki help to measure it. :roll: not possible do it alone.
    For you cal-ed 16s, did you measure the drag ? can't be just 20lbs :shock: I think the stock version already produce 20lbs of smooth drag. The cal-ed should be the same as what I had done - at least 20kg of smooth drag, I guess they spec it much lower to avoid making it high maintance reel.
    At 25kg, the force pushing againt the side plate is at least 240kg :shock:
    And the side plate may pop the 4 little screws out :wink:
    I will tell other not to stand on my either side when I'm pushing it :lol:
    Maybe I will have to wear a face mask too :?

haaa headache :(
  • Makaira
    Hi Allen,

Are you talking about the reel clamp rather than the reel seat? I have the either the Accurate or Reel Block aluminium clamp for the 16S. The problem with the 16S stock frame is the reel clamp studs; they are so puny!!! The reel seat does not look very robust either for high drags. If you can indeed dish out the drag you intend to, I'm afraid it may shear off from the frame followed by the real seat popping off. If that happens, I hope you are wearing a full faced helmet :twisted: Anglers to your left & right should be wearing full body kevlar vests to protect themselves from shrapnel!!! Hahaha!!! Apart from being thin, the studs are also pretty short, which may limits the size of the aluminium reel seat that fits the reel, which in turn may limit the blank to use for the rod. This begs the question of what rod do u plan to use for 25kg drag?

I suppose 25kg drag can be achieved with some modification & the installation of a freespooler to maintain freespool. For discussion sake, lets say the frame, reel seat & studs can take 25kg drag, I have the sinking feeling that the shaft will bend at those pressures :shock: I know someone who has deformed the shaft of the 16S because he was using the full-sized T-bar on a "calified" 16S when knuckling down on a fish!

As for my B/P'd 16S, yes, they were done by Cal Sheets. It probably can go way beyond 20# without losing freespool, but 20# is the desired drag setting for my preference.

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • Allen
    Makaira" said:
    Hi Allen,

Are you talking about the reel clamp rather than the reel seat? I have the either the Accurate or Reel Block aluminium clamp for the 16S. The problem with the 16S stock frame is the reel clamp studs; they are so puny!!! The reel seat does not look very robust either for high drags. If you can indeed dish out the drag you intend to, I'm afraid it may shear off from the frame followed by the real seat popping off. If that happens, I hope you are wearing a full faced helmet :twisted: Anglers to your left & right should be wearing full body kevlar vests to protect themselves from shrapnel!!! Hahaha!!! Apart from being thin, the studs are also pretty short, which may limits the size of the aluminium reel seat that fits the reel, which in turn may limit the blank to use for the rod. This begs the question of what rod do u plan to use for 25kg drag?

I suppose 25kg drag can be achieved with some modification & the installation of a freespooler to maintain freespool. For discussion sake, lets say the frame, reel seat & studs can take 25kg drag, I have the sinking feeling that the shaft will bend at those pressures :shock: I know someone who has deformed the shaft of the 16S because he was using the full-sized T-bar on a "calified" 16S when knuckling down on a fish!

Hi Makaira,
    Rod = GF760L crop 6 inch butt. Purpose is jigging for GT and AJ only.
    Not for the giant marlin or tuna. :oops: I wouldn't do it myself for that purpose. This time because I can't get it cal-ed to and back US on time for the trip.

Personally I think the reel seat and main shaft is strong enough, possible weakness is the 4 small studs holding the side plate and modification on this area is difficult or imposible to do it with a reasonable cost. I had tried pulling the reel off after securing it to another 760L rod. Hang it on top of door frame and with my whole body weight 76kg, don't seem giving any problem... although actual direction of pull could be different but 76kg againt 25kg of actual using... maybe ok lah :? what u think ?
  • Makaira
    Hi Allen,

The GF760L is rated for 30-80 which works out to a median of 50-60# line. Croppping 6" from the butt would I think make it into a lighter proposition. Based on the stock blank & tTaking the widely accepted 1/3 drag setting .. it works out to about an optimum of 20# or so of drag. Now ...... you are saying you intend to use 55lbs of drag on that rod with a reel that is, to say the least, not intended for such high drag settings. Hmmmmmmm ........... I really don't know what to think :shock: Why don't you keep us informed of what happens as you are going ahead to test it empirically in the near future :wink: All the speculation & discussion in the world will come to nought when there is real life experiences. Looking forward to your report.

One more query; what line do you intend to use for the 25kg drag setting? 130 or 200 # braided perhaps?

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • Allen
    Makaira" said:
    what line do you intend to use for the 25kg drag setting? 130 or 200 # braided perhaps?
    Makaira
    80 only, I will take note of your points. I guess I will set it to 25# strike, 35# max to avoid mishap.

Thanks for your valuable input :D
  • goldfish
    may i know what fishing are you all aiming with this kind of drag? :shock:
  • Makaira
    Allen" said:
    I guess I will set it to 25# strike, 35# max to avoid mishap.
    Hi Allen,

Welcome back to earth :twisted: Remember to post your catch report after the trip :wink: Tightlines!!!!!

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • Nelson
    Allen" said:
    [quote="Makaira"] what line do you intend to use for the 25kg drag setting? 130 or 200 # braided perhaps?
    Makaira
    80 only, I will take note of your points. I guess I will set it to 25# strike, 35# max to avoid mishap.

Thanks for your valuable input :D[/quote]

Allen,

Should not be a problem for 16s to perform @ 25-30lbs drag, but then a gain subject to weather condition to set @ that drag.

Cheers!
  • Allen
    Nelson" said:
    [quote="Allen"][quote="Makaira"] what line do you intend to use for the 25kg drag setting? 130 or 200 # braided perhaps?
    Makaira

Allen,

Should not be a problem for 16s to perform @ 25-30lbs drag, but then a gain subject to weather condition to set @ that drag.

Cheers![/quote]

choppy water and 10 foot wave :shock: u meant ?
    will cut short trip liao :lol:
  • Allen
    goldfish" said:
    may i know what fishing are you all aiming with this kind of drag? :shock:
    Hi goldfish,
    GT - 1st trip we went we won, but second trip (me no go) kaki got bully by them (AJ & doggie) lost quite alot of jig and damage some dowsy tackle up to PE8. :lol:
    So 3rd trip I'm preparing this out of the world tackle. :twisted: :evil:

I know its crazy. 8)
  • Nelson
    Allen" said:
    [quote="Nelson"][quote="Allen"][quote="Makaira"] what line do you intend to use for the 25kg drag setting? 130 or 200 # braided perhaps?
    Makaira

Allen,

Cheers![/quote]

will cut short trip liao :lol:[/quote]

Hi Allen,

If i don't get to see a 6-7 footer AJ, we don't go to land right? :D

Melvin! is that right? :D :D :D

Boring in the office, no war @ the moment.

cheers!
  • D. Foo
    not sure whether some ppl talking about 25kg drag really understand what an honest 25kgs drag is like... That is over 50 pounds, I've seen quite a few folks that could not handle a measly 38 pounds of drag and that was in the chair with full harness... 25kg drag + 80 lb braid + a 30/80lbs rod + sudden strike from huge amberjack or GT... = broken rod? Rod lost overboard? Man overboard?

Allen.. 80 braid .. make sure your knots are really good before using even 25# drag. Maybe I'm not experienced w/ braid but I don't trust the knot strength. Especially if the braid has a bit of abrasion on the bottom, 80 braid can break surprisingly easily. Also make sure the line is packed TIGHT on the reel otherwise the line can bite down into itself and jam.. :? :shock: :evil: :!:
  • abfackeln
    Allen" said:
    [quote="goldfish"]may i know what fishing are you all aiming with this kind of drag? :shock:
    Hi goldfish,
    GT - 1st trip we went we won, but second trip (me no go) kaki got bully by them (AJ & doggie) lost quite alot of jig and damage some dowsy tackle up to PE8. :lol:
    So 3rd trip I'm preparing this out of the world tackle. :twisted: :evil:

I know its crazy. 8)[/quote]

Play within your own limits, don't get injured. 25kg of force in the wrong direction will dislocate your arm. Not worth it for a stupid fish.
  • Allen
    Dear Dustin n Francis,
    I know what you guy meant..... like what I said 25kg is to make sure reel can work to this load only actual will start from 28lbs onwards slowly and progressively fish after fish to max around 40lbs.

Nelson, if no 6 ~ 7" AJ still got that 6'4" barracuda :lol:
    hopefully we can catch some good fish tis trip :roll:

Thanks for all e advices especially - "pack the line tight" I almost forgtten :oops: :wink:
  • Makaira
    D. Foo" said:
    not sure whether some ppl talking about 25kg drag really understand what an honest 25kgs drag is like... That is over 50 pounds ........
    Amen, Dustin, Amen!!! :wink:
  • fishfishfish
    Nelson" said:
    [quote="Allen"][quote="Nelson"][quote="Allen"][quote="Makaira"] what line do you intend to use for the 25kg drag setting? 130 or 200 # braided perhaps?
    Makaira

Allen,

Cheers![/quote]

will cut short trip liao :lol:[/quote]

Hi Allen,

If i don't get to see a 6-7 footer AJ, we don't go to land right? :D

Melvin! is that right? :D :D :D

Boring in the office, no war @ the moment.

cheers![/quote]

LOL From land theres a pic taken for the last catch of their 7ft AJ... I can't promise anything but fishes below those blowers are HUGE! Check it out yourselves and who knows you will break IGFA record. :lol:

Melvin
  • fishfishfish
    Makaira" said:
    [quote="D. Foo"]not sure whether some ppl talking about 25kg drag really understand what an honest 25kgs drag is like... That is over 50 pounds ........
    Amen, Dustin, Amen!!! :wink:[/quote]

Hi Guys,

the fishing ground is full of visible Obsticle. In order to land your fish or have a great fight, you need to pull it out to clear waters. Thats where the drags comes in handy unless you want to either lose the 40 - 60 sgd jig set or burn your favourite accurate gloves maybe worst, you will burn your thumb.

Allen meant was to increase the drag gradually from original jigging drag of 20lbs to strike or max drag when fish tries to do something funny.

Regards.
  • Nelson
    fishfishfish" said:
    [quote="Makaira"][quote="D. Foo"]not sure whether some ppl talking about 25kg drag really understand what an honest 25kgs drag is like... That is over 50 pounds ........
    Amen, Dustin, Amen!!! :wink:[/quote]

Hi Guys,

the fishing ground is full of visible Obsticle. In order to land your fish or have a great fight, you need to pull it out to clear waters. Thats where the drags comes in handy unless you want to either lose the 40 - 60 sgd jig set or burn your favourite accurate gloves maybe worst, you will burn your thumb.

Allen meant was to increase the drag gradually from original jigging drag of 20lbs to strike or max drag when fish tries to do something funny.

Regards.[/quote]

Hi Melvin,

Safety is the keyword to me out in the sea, we joke about fishing heavily but that depends on the situation & of course physical ability. We are not that die hard, i joly well know what it meant to fish with 25kg drag.

Cheers!
  • Makaira
    fishfishfish" said:

Hi fishx3,

Understand what Allen wants to do. Just wanted him to be fully aware of the perils of fishing at such high drag settings. 50# drag is 50# drag, regardless of whether it is increased gradually or not. Believe you me, if a fish takes line at that drag setting, all the practice in the world pulling at static anchor points like balcony railings or room door will not prepare you for what may happen. :wink: The other factor is that he is planning to do it on equipment that is not designed to do such things, modifications notwithstanding.

Losing a big fish or expensive teminal tackle is all part & parcel of fishing. To do insane things to try & land a fish or not to lose a jig, no matter how big the fish or how expensive the jig is IMHO not a wise thing to do.

No offence intended nor am I trying to impose my way on anyone. Just my P.O.V.

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • fishfishfish
    Yup. Definately agrees with you on that Mak. No doubts about it. Anyway its 2 1/2 weeks to go.

Hopefully some nice out of the earth CRs. :lol:
  • Makaira
    Hi fishx3,

What exotic location are you guys heading to? Sounds like it will be fun. Can't wait to see the CR & pics!!!

Best regards,
    Makaira
  • fishfishfish
    Makaira" said:
    Hi fishx3,

What exotic location are you guys heading to? Sounds like it will be fun. Can't wait to see the CR & pics!!!

Best regards,
    Makaira
    Not exotic la. Remember the hoo ha create last year by Brunei ppl? Its the same playground just different spot. Mainly rig fishing.

Rgds,

Melvin Lee