Striped Bass are here again!

Chinook
edited April 2005 in Catch Reports
Yessssssireee.....the Spring striped bass run are running amuck in the Sacramento River. Been fishing every opportunity on the weekends. So far, the big mama bass (20-lb and upwards) has eluded me but it sure heck a lot of fun trying for it! Enjoy the photos...

• Jeremy Koh
    Good Day

How have you been mate, anyway very decent striped bass.

Care to elaborate how you caught them.

Cheers
  • Chinook
    April is the peak month for the striped bass runs in the Sacramento River in California. Excellent table fare. The fish take both lures (like white hair-raisers with a white bucktail) and bait (pile or blood worms, sardines, chicken livers, anchovies) readily. Stripers caught in the river have weighed up to 30-lbs.

• Chinook
    Since the Striped Bass take bait readily and it's still kinda cold in the early morning, I decided to utilize bait. A sliding sinker (3-oz) rig set-up with a 5-foot long 20-lb test leader line and an size 5/0 octopus hook. I embedded the hook into a big cut chunk of frozen sardine and whip the contraption into the river using my 10-foot Cabelas' CX-44 pole coupled with a Daiwa 2600-C Silver Series reel spooled with 15-lb test copolymer line.

• Chinook
    The best eating size (velvety-smooth, tender, etc.) for striped bass in my personal opinion is between 19-inch and 22-inch. Steamed restaurant-style with garlic black bean sauce, green onions, ginger, scallions, cilantro and a dash of VSOP - it is fit for a king! Another photo of the river and to remind you that it is Springtime - a photo of one of the Rembrandt tulips from my garden.

• Michael Lim
    Welcome back Chinnok,

nice catches you have there, are there any requirements to return female fishes under a certain size there? Or does it apply only in closed seasons?

Cheers,
  • goldfish
    Nice catches. you take very nice pictures whats the camera used?
  • Allen
    goldfish" said:
    Yeah, I also very keen to know also the kind of setting u using.
    Its kind of mellow could it be the sunlight in your area.
  • goldfish
    if you dont mind, also have the pics been software adjusted? :P
  • Chinook
    Michael Lim" said:Welcome back Chinnok,
    nice catches you have there, are there any requirements to return female fishes under a certain size there? Or does it apply only in closed seasons?
    Cheers,

Hiya Mike,

Thanks. The only requirement for either sex is that the fish has to be 18-inches in length in order to keep it. Striped bass migrate from the Pacific Ocean to spawn in the rivers so the only time to catch the big ones are during the Spring and Fall runs.

It has been planted in many lakes too plus millions of the juvenile fish are sent to Southern California via the California Aqueduct (Canal). Since SoCal is primarily an arid region - they depend on water from NorCal. The giant water pumps suck millions of the juvenile striped bass from the delta region and into the aqueduct to SoCal. Hope that answers your question.

Regards.
  • Chinook
    goldfish" said:
    Hi Gold,
    It's a Sony Mavica camera that I have had for the past 7 years. Very dependable, east to use and a rugged piece of equipment too.
    Regards.
  • Chinook
    Yeah, I also very keen to know also the kind of setting u using.
    Its kind of mellow could it be the sunlight in your area.[/quote]

Allen,
    It's automatic so I just point and shoot.
    Regards.
  • Chinook
    goldfish" said:if you dont mind, also have the pics been software adjusted? :P

Yes, I have to crop it to fit the FishingKaki's 256-Kb size limitation.
    Regards.
  • goldfish
    Hi thanks had thought it was a flim camera. very nice
  • FishFinder
    nice fish ! nice pond ! nice flower ! everything nice .... so lucky you are at such nice place :D
  • Chinook
    FishFinder" said:nice fish ! nice pond ! nice flower ! everything nice .... so lucky you are at such nice place

• Chinook
    Just like you, I love good restuarants and there are a fair number of them along the river. You can drive down to Oldtown Sacramento by the river and hop onto a "river taxi" called the River Otter. The taxi makes a run upriver and back every 30-minutes and it will drop you off at the restaurant of your choice along the way and pick you up when you're done pigging out.

• Chinook
    In Oldtown Sacremento, there is an excellent railroad museum and city museum. It's one of the best railroad museums in the world from models to antique railroad engines and cars. You can also take a train ride in an old coach pulled by an old steam engine that goes about 6 miles along the river and back.
    There are also old paddlesteamers and (at times) old sailing ships docked alongside the Oldtown wharf on the river. Ocean-going ships travel up the river from the Pacific Ocean to Sacramento to load lumber, grain, etc.. at the Port Of Sacremento on the river.

• Chinook
    In the Fall, replicas of old sailing ships visit and dock at Oldtown Sacramenti and are open for tours to the public for a few weeks. One of the landmarks of the City of Sacramento is the old car and rail bridge located in Oldtown. The city parks slong the Sacremento River are very popular especially when the warm weather arrives.

• Chinook
    Not forgetting that this is a fishing website, here's a few photos of my past catches from the lovely Sacramento River. I hope I did not bore you all FK's!

• Chinook
    Of yes, I should post a photo of the ships moored and taking on cargo at the Port Of Sacremento located in tne deep ship channel of the Sacramento River in the City of Sacramento

• Chinook
    Salmon and steelhead are present year-round in the Sacramento River but the best chance of catching one is during the winter months. The biggest runs of salmon occur in the Fall (October & November) with the biggest steelhead (sea-going rainbow trout) runs following it (December & January).
    The Sacramento River delta area (30-minute drive from downtown Sacramento) is a major pear growing area. A very beautiful area to spend one's weekend fishing and relaxing. Talking of fruit, here's a photo of the thornless raspberries growing in the sideyard of the house.

• Chinook
    If you got bored fishing, you can always spend an entire day or more at the month-long California State Fair (August) in Sacramento. Here you can see the best of the agricultural and farm animals from around the big state of California. You can also eat your heart out at the food concessionaires and do the carnival rides until you regurgitate your meal involuntary. After a hot day at the fair, one can go soak and cool off in the waterslides park next door to the fairgrounds.

• Chinook
    There is also the air museum on the grounds of the now-defunct McClellan Air Force Base where an impressive wing of aircraft are on static display. This is the AFB where in early 1942, Colonel Jimmy Doolittle's B-25's were out-fitted and prepared for their bombing raid. Launched from the decks of aircraft carriers, they nailed Tokyo on April 18, 1942.

• Chinook
    And this is Maya, who patiently laid on my lap while I posted all the above photos for your enjoyment!

• dtyr
    sori to ask... may i know wer is this place??
  • Michael Lim
    dtyr" said:
    sori to ask... may i know wer is this place??
    USA
  • Chinook
    Striped bass fishing sucked royally this morning. Did not even get a hit over a 2-hour period so I decided to hightail it back home for breakfast. School must have moved out of the area...oh well, that's fishing for you. Since I live close by the river, I can test the waters again later this evening for the presence (or absence) of another school. How far is my walk to the river? That following photos will give you an idea.

• Chinook
    This is a California Splittail - the biggest member of the minnow family. Like the striped bass, they roam upriver in large schools in Spring on their spawning runs. Rest of the year, they hang out in the delta region.

TRIPS
© Copyright 2016