Tanjong Pinang Boat Trip (11th June - 12 June 2005)

2
  • shark07
    Btw bro, those are not Chermin...they're call ebeck. Almost look alike and hell of good fighter on light tackle.
  • Skid Row
    goh76" said:
    Nice Cr. Anyone knows hows the fishing on the kelong itself??
    not bad, but you need to bring live prawns all the way from singapore. quite taxing.

    saw them release baby shovelnose sharks into the pond. should be fun on light tackle.

    look carefully into the water at night and you can actually see a school of snappers, 'bout 30 to 40 pieces...
  • Penn
    :smt118
  • stingrray
    Btw bro, those are not Chermin...they're call ebeck. Almost look alike and hell of good fighter on light tackle.
    Hi,

    U sure these fish are not Chemin? U have any pic of Chemin ? Or any link to read up ?

    rgds,
    stingrray
  • stingrray
    Hi Stingray,

    An excellent presentation! I enjoyed viewing your delightful photos and narrative very much. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

    Regards.
    Hi Chinook,

    Thank You very much. As a new bird, I would like to know alot about the place I go fishing. From this forum, there's alot of help in essay form but hardly see pic of the place. When you say a fishing boat, how big is it? What faciltiy it have? How's the toilet...etc? Alot of people like me like to know but there's hardly any info from the forum. Therefore which ever new trip I go, I'll like to take pic and share with fellow kakis. I strongly believe Photos say a thousand words. Sometimes when reading other people's Catch Report, I would read reports with pic first then if got time then read essay reports.

    My trip to Tanjong Pinang is not that great compare to other's trip there. Guess part of the reason is there's no live Sotong available for us. We using dead one throughout the trip. At night when the deckies on the lights, no Sotong appear :cry:

    Anyway, I've seasick too though taken the sicksea pills liao. Therefore didn't fish much. But I do enjoy the senery and the breeze. Excellent relax get-away :wink:

    Here's a link to my other Catch Report on Bungsamran Fishing Park. (Bangkok- Thailand)

    http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2120
  • sunburned
    Hi Shark07 and Stingray,

    'Chermin' is vernacular for the seriola family (same family as the Australian samson fish) in Malaysia. However, 'chermin' is also used in Singapore (Hokkien and Malay vernacular) to refer to the african pompano (alectis ciliaris). The common name for this fish in Malaysia is the 'ebek'.

    There are a couple of species of the 'ebek', such as the alectis indicus also known as the 'ebek kapak' because of the head's shape. The juveniles have longer fin structure.

    Guess it's the same family of fishes that you're referring to, just different subspecies and terminologies from our neighbouring countries.

    Peace. :smt057

    SB



  • hackernox
    Thanks stingray for the good picture and report. Is this Gurindam Resort?I am actually planning for a trip there. The rooms are quite different from the one they have in their brochure.

    But generally I find the price quite ok. In Singapore, even in copi tiam the price of a can of coke is about 1.20. The beer is much much cheaper.

    I saw in their brochure, they are charging S$108 for 3 day 2 night (with 7 meals) quite ok what :)
  • sunburned
    By the way, this is an excellent narration of the trip Stingray :D
  • stingrray
    Thanks stingray for the good picture and report. Is this Gurindam Resort?I am actually planning for a trip there. The rooms are quite different from the one they have in their brochure.
    The place I went is not Gurindam Resort. It's a Kelong and not a resort :wink:

    But generally I find the price quite ok. In Singapore, even in copi tiam the price of a can of coke is about 1.20. The beer is much much cheaper.

    I saw in their brochure, they are charging S$108 for 3 day 2 night (with 7 meals) quite ok what
    Hmm... U can't compare Singapore with Indonesia. Just like if you go Thailand/ Malaysia, U dun expect to pay S$1.00 for a tin of coke right? Due to the currency exchange rate, price should be much much cheaper is those country. S$1.00 for a tin of coke is still affordable to us (I drank alot there- super hot) but it's costly if U think carefully. Paying Singapore a dollar for a tin of coke at Indonesia!

    Cheers
  • stingrray
    Guess it's the same family of fishes that you're referring to, just different subspecies and terminologies from our neighbouring countries.

    Peace.

    There's no war here. Just like to clarify with fellow kakis and get my facts right :wink: Thanks anyway for solving the mysteries....
  • shark07
    sunburned" said:
    Hi Shark07 and Stingray,

    'Chermin' is vernacular for the seriola family (same family as the Australian samson fish) in Malaysia. However, 'chermin' is also used in Singapore (Hokkien and Malay vernacular) to refer to the african pompano (alectis ciliaris). The common name for this fish in Malaysia is the 'ebek'.

    There are a couple of species of the 'ebek', such as the alectis indicus also known as the 'ebek kapak' because of the head's shape. The juveniles have longer fin structure.

    Guess it's the same family of fishes that you're referring to, just different subspecies and terminologies from our neighbouring countries.

    Peace. :smt057

    SB
    Hi Sunburned,
    Thats confusing...We've ever landed a couple of fishes which looks like big eye jack but in Malaysia they call Chermin and those look like chermin(Singapore) They call ebeck. 1 thing i reaslise the so call chermin(diamond trevally) has a hump and their eyes are much smaller than ebeck. Just a discussion instead of war ....peace ! :)
  • shark07
    OK Now i remember, those with short dorsal fin the call chermin and long dorsal fin they call ebeck. The bottom left 2 fishes are ebeck..they've bigger eyes, w/o a hump on its forehead and 1/2 strand of long dorsal fin.
    Just discussion....peace again...
  • sunburned
    Hi Shark07 and Stingray,

    Hey, sorry if I caused you guys confusion. The fishes on the left column in the pic posted by Shark07 look like 'ebek' found in Malaysia. Here in Singapore, they would probably be called 'chermin'.

    Shark - you are right, some of the bigeye jack are also called as 'chermin' by local fishermen in the E.Coast of Malaysia.

    Glad to have this discussion :D. Someone posted such a discussion once in the old forum, but that piece of info isn't accessible anymore :cry:

    Cheers,
    SB :D
  • stingrray
    shark07" said:
    those are not Chermin...they're call ebeck
    sunburned" said:
    Guess it's the same family of fishes that you're referring to, just different subspecies and terminologies from our neighbouring countries.
    shark07" said:
    We've ever landed a couple of fishes which looks like big eye jack but in Malaysia they call Chermin and those look like chermin(Singapore) They call ebeck. 1 thing i reaslise the so call chermin(diamond trevally) has a hump and their eyes are much smaller than ebeck
    shark07" said:
    those with short dorsal fin the call chermin and long dorsal fin they call ebeck
    sunburned" said:
    The fishes on the left column in the pic posted by Shark07 look like 'ebek' found in Malaysia. Here in Singapore, they would probably be called 'chermin'.

    Shark - you are right, some of the bigeye jack are also called as 'chermin' by local fishermen in the E.Coast of Malaysia.
    :lol:
  • shark07
    sunburned" said:
    Hi Shark07 and Stingray,

    Hey, sorry if I caused you guys confusion. The fishes on the left column in the pic posted by Shark07 look like 'ebek' found in Malaysia. Here in Singapore, they would probably be called 'chermin'.

    Shark - you are right, some of the bigeye jack are also called as 'chermin' by local fishermen in the E.Coast of Malaysia.

    Glad to have this discussion :D. Someone posted such a discussion once in the old forum, but that piece of info isn't accessible anymore :cry:

    Cheers,
    SB :D
    Hey SB,
    No worries..just a discussion thats all !!

    Cheers,
    Shark07
  • sunburned
    :lol: :lol: :lol: The pic's a good one :wink:

    Cheers,
    :D
  • xiaoing u fish
    hahahaha tat is a good one man....
  • sharkbait
    hmmm... this place look familar... :shock: so this is the kelong which appear in rod&line magazine... the pond look familar and the charge is the same mention in the magzine...
    maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me :-k
  • David Yong
    stingrray" said:
    Kelong accepts SGD. Was told that Fishing is around S$35 per rod. room is around S$28. If purchase 2 rod (ie S$70), free 1 room :lol:

    There all spending in Singapore currency. One tin of can softdrink cost S$1.00, one tin of Tiger Beer cost S$1.50.

    Ferry to and from Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal cost S$40.00. Transport from Tanjong Pinang Ferry Terminal to Kelong cost S$20.00 to the Kelong, and when going back, cost another S$20.00. Takes around 30mins to reach Kelong from the terminal. Transport charge by per trip. If 4 person going also S$20.00.

    Kelong very nice environment but it's costly as all spending in SGD !
    Hi, Stingray

    Thanks for the information

    Cheers
    David
  • belial
    this is elly kelong and the captain is ajis. he is famous for his sagai spot and ang kau spot (if he is in very good mood, he'll bring you there). the kelong is very nice for relaxing and latest improvement is a karaoke corner though price is getting more and more expensive. food worth trying is the chendol(very sweet, must remember to tell the lady not to make it too sweet) and otar(very fresh, i always order al least 200 sticks home) outside the kelong and sotong goreng in the kelong's restaurant.



  • ben
    went to that kelong to fish before.
    Personally i find it to be quite clean and hygenic with pool table and stuff,
    but i went that time was low tide so sian diao no need fish coz the water damn low.
    it was my first oversea trip too.
    Caught two small rays and one kbl .saw people catching grouper and much bigger fishes but guess
    i was`t lucky and did`t have enough experience also,anyway i`m looking forward to a second trip man :lol:
  • abfackeln
    ben" said:
    ....i went that time was low tide so sian diao no need fish coz the water damn low....
    Thats where you are wrong. :twisted:
  • ben
    huh where did i go wrong i did`t do anything wrong noooooooooooooo :cry:
    haha the water was really low man how to fish
    or maybe it was my imagination :roll:
  • stingrray
    Thanks Michael for your info... :lol:
  • Michael Lim
    stingrray" said:
    Thanks Michael for your info... :lol:
    No problem at all.


    Cheers,
  • ugi
    Really enjoyed your CRs stingrray...bravo..!! :D
  • flutist
    shark07" said:
    Btw bro, those are not Chermin...they're call ebeck. Almost look alike and hell of good fighter on light tackle.
    Hello bro,u SURE its EBEK?? Check properly.. :lol:
  • arthur_c
    To help clear things up a little: Elly & Gurindam are about 1 km apart (unrelated). Both are at Telok Bakau, Bintan. (got this confirmation from Gurindam owner who are S'poreans (I think)).

    Stringray's pics are very similar to the kelong pics in Gurindam's brochures: walkway, chalets, etc (general layout). but I can't comment on the actual condition/quality of either place. Haven't been there .... yet :lol:


    I'll be heading for Gurindam tomorrow (Fri) with the missus & 2 kids. Will keep you guys updated 8)
  • Starsky & Hutch
    Great photos...
  • arthur_c
    Owner also say can lure ... So I'm bring some of my buy-long-time-ago-but-still-virgin lures :lol:

    My wife's colleague, who was there 2 weeks ago, also told us to bring ice-box to cart back sotong (apparently in season). Will also be testing out sotong jig :D

    Wah!!!! Too long didn't fish. Not sure if I can sleep tonight
This discussion has been closed.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2020
All times are UTC