Beginner Looking For Sifu/Kakis

dominic.tan
Hi, I just got into bc fishing, trying to land some peacock bass from Bedok Reservoir and some other places, been out about 10 times and still 0 fish caught. Any kind soul can give me some advise on the bait/lure and the reeling strategy? Willing to learn :smiley: 

PS: Here to make friends too and please please please jio me to fishing also, fishing alone can be scary sometimes 

Cheers 
  • uekarashi
    I live pretty near Rochor Canal / Kallang Riverside Park. If ever in the area can jio, feel free to PM :smile: 

• dominic.tan
    Just went there in the morning, will jio when I go again :wink: 
  • Michael Lim
    Hi, I just got into bc fishing, trying to land some peacock bass from Bedok Reservoir and some other places, been out about 10 times and still 0 fish caught. Any kind soul can give me some advise on the bait/lure and the reeling strategy? Willing to learn :smiley: 

PS: Here to make friends too and please please please jio me to fishing also, fishing alone can be scary sometimes 

Cheers 

Bedok Reservoir is a lil dead these days, and I blank out there often too.

So it may not be just be a user issue.  Try various lures, vary your retrieve speed and pattern.   And use a good balanced setup.  This way, you will improve your chances on actually tempting them to bite.

PBs tend to go for fast moving lures, so try minnows (perch colour/pattern, gold, orange, and white are often popular colours).  Topwater also works too, but you need to use a slightly stiffer tip setup to get the best action out of the lure.  Test and try out various methods and see which works best for you.
  • dominic.tan

Cheers 

Bedok Reservoir is a lil dead these days, and I blank out there often too.

So it may not be just be a user issue.  Try various lures, vary your retrieve speed and pattern.   And use a good balanced setup.  This way, you will improve your chances on actually tempting them to bite.

PBs tend to go for fast moving lures, so try minnows (perch colour/pattern, gold, orange, and white are often popular colours).  Topwater also works too, but you need to use a slightly stiffer tip setup to get the best action out of the lure.  Test and try out various methods and see which works best for you.
    ​I see, guess I will just keep trying and thank you very much for the tips :)
  • ultrakiasu
    Just came back from a stroll at Bedok Reservoir, saw some china uncles doing pole fishing, and bait with earthworms, saw one caught an large Eartheater (aka 马脸-HorseFace).
    If you target for Peacock Bass, you need to go Tanjong Rhu area for 80% success rate using lure, even for first timer.
    Clementi Sunset way recreational zone (RC exercise plot) quite good for Peacock Bass, Tilapia, Jaguar Cichlid using rubber worms.

Kallang River used to be a good spot until floating and sunken plastic bags snagged expensive lures..
    I always recommend beginner using commerical japanese "tamban hooks" to have fun with juvenile PB at TanjongRhu area..
    Good strike rate at legal fishing ground.. trim off the bottom few hooks to reduce rate of snag.

• anglingboy
    Hi Dom, pm me with your hp if keen. im also looking for kakis
  • dominic.tan

Just came back from a stroll at Bedok Reservoir, saw some china uncles doing pole fishing, and bait with earthworms, saw one caught an large Eartheater (aka 马脸-HorseFace).
    If you target for Peacock Bass, you need to go Tanjong Rhu area for 80% success rate using lure, even for first timer.
    Clementi Sunset way recreational zone (RC exercise plot) quite good for Peacock Bass, Tilapia, Jaguar Cichlid using rubber worms.

Kallang River used to be a good spot until floating and sunken plastic bags snagged expensive lures..
    I always recommend beginner using commerical japanese "tamban hooks" to have fun with juvenile PB at TanjongRhu area..
    Good strike rate at legal fishing ground.. trim off the bottom few hooks to reduce rate of snag.

​Hi @ultrakiasu ;
    80% success rate that's very high !! Thank you very much on the spots suggestion and tips, I will try them out one by one. Very helpful and very useful information :smiley: