Help I am a garbage beginner at fishing

Derpernator
I'm new to fishing and i went fishing 8 times and havent caught any fishes yet. I fish at kranji reservoir. Help me please
  • Luke Maow Bear
    What are you using now?

And what is a "garbage" beginner? hehe
  • astro
    What u use  ? Lure ? Rubber ? Mid or top?
  • Derpernator
    i just use a crankbait i dont really know the specifics as i dont know what they mean sorry
  • Derpernator
    I also use different lures but i feel like crankbait is better for me but all hasnt caught me a fish so idk. I have some soft plastics, poppers, pencil, spinning lure and spoons. I use 20 lbs test line which is kind of overkill but yeah and i also use MH rod which has fast action. I also use a spinning reel if that matters :/
  • Devilzken
    Reservoir usually doesn't produce much results, 9/10 was zero and 1 is really lucky. U might want to try pond to "break" your virgin  :p
  • Gresini
    I think JB long kang got more fishes than SG reservoirs.
  • SportAngler
    Try seaside like East coast or Labourdor park
  • G.Loomis
    Gresini said:
    :D 
  • alexhgt
    Gresini said:
    ​Word. 
    I spent a total of 15 hours on 4 separate occasions at bedeck reservoir before catching two PBs. 
    Used a small 38mm crank bait with 6lb test. 

Truth is most of the fishes are packed home so there isn't much left. 
    Ponds, can be expensive and frustrating when you don't catch any. The only place I've enjoyed the most is faraway 3. 
    But those are big catfish there. You need proper gear haha. 
  • pckidz
    I had the same result when I started. It took me several trips and side chats with fellows fishing at paid ponds to find the tackle they were using. e.g. Apollo does not work well in the pond, mainly PTK or bobber does. Pond trips get more bites and trained me on how to 'feel' a bite. This is important to distinguish it from hitting a rock, which has a similar feel. On my third pond trip I had four 'violent' bits but no hook ups. My fourth trip I hooked all the bites at the pond, including a 4 kg bass. Earlier, I was snelling the hooks the wrong way and striking too early. My advise would be to go with a ready to use rigs to start with. These are sold for around $2 in tackle shops or even at the ponds. 

Other way would be to go to with a fishing charter trip on the weekend. Choosing one that has an extra 'hand' as help is a big boon.  They help you with right tackle choice advice in advance and also lend a hand if you hit a snag.

Finally, I found live baits have a much better chance of catching fish, perhaps mainly due to limited fish population supply in our region and also due to the fact that luring with artificial bait requires more advanced techniques. But you can only use the live baits at paid ponds or the sea. 

Good luck!
  • Luke Maow Bear
    pckidz said:
    I had the same result when I started. It took me several trips and side chats with fellows fishing at paid ponds to find the tackle they were using. e.g. Apollo does not work well in the pond, mainly PTK or bobber does. Pond trips get more bites and trained me on how to 'feel' a bite. This is important to distinguish it from hitting a rock, which has a similar feel. On my third pond trip I had four 'violent' bits but no hook ups. My fourth trip I hooked all the bites at the pond, including a 4 kg bass. Earlier, I was snelling the hooks the wrong way and striking too early. My advise would be to go with a ready to use rigs to start with. These are sold for around $2 in tackle shops or even at the ponds. 

Other way would be to go to with a fishing charter trip on the weekend. Choosing one that has an extra 'hand' as help is a big boon.  They help you with right tackle choice advice in advance and also lend a hand if you hit a snag.

Finally, I found live baits have a much better chance of catching fish, perhaps mainly due to limited fish population supply in our region and also due to the fact that luring with artificial bait requires more advanced techniques. But you can only use the live baits at paid ponds or the sea. 

Good luck!
    ​I 2nd this; good stuff.
  • hookemup
    I started off fishing not more than a year ago going to Pandan, spent over 20 hours there over a period of one month, ZERO
    Moved on to Chinese Garden, spent 8 hours, ZERO

But honestly, these areas are probably already over-fished to the point the fishes are wary of lures.
    Demoralized, i approach a friend and brought me to a pond to fight fish, though baiting, finally knows what it feels like getting a fish.

Then i went to a canal near my home, 1st wild fish, walking catfish
    2 weeks later same spot, tilapia

I'm a lone ranger, my friends don't fish anymore, it may be a lonely road but KEEP CASTING!!
    That thrill you get when you up your first fish, it what that'll keep you fishing for a lifetime.  o:)
  • Michael Lim
    It takes years sometimes...  I am still learning too and when the luck hits you and rewards you with some nice catches, the feeling is really satisfying...

I generally lure in almost barren area where many other ppl fish.  So when I do get hits, the feeling is really wonderful.  Keep it up and keep casting.  And keep trying with different lures.  The last session I had, I saw a seabass in the water, cast a rubber shrimp to it... the fish wasn't interested.  So I changed to a hard-body minnow.  The fish looked at it only.  On the next cast, I managed to get the lure right in front of the fish, it took a half-hearted swipe but missed...  I kept trying with a different colour lure, but still no takes.

Then later I switched to a rubber minnow and cast to a deeper spot, wham....  the fish took and I managed to land it...  So you need to keep looking out and trying...  if I had given up initially, there wouldn't be a chance for the fish...