Line guide damaging braided line

Catch&Release
edited April 18 in Rods
Hi all ! 

I recently bought an Okuma Nemesis 8~17lb BC. Everything was fine until my line started fraying badly. The most serious fraying occurs at the line outside of my reel at rest (the line resting on the rod guide when you're not casting).

I suspected it was something wrong with the rod guide. I ran a q-tip and braided line "pulling" test (couldn't describe it in better way), it is by pulling the braided line up and down around the rod guide. No cotton was stuck and no fraying on braided line.

I thought it might be because I'm fishing in area filled with hydrilla , it might just damage my line. Cut the frayed line and tried it in open waters. Same thing happened. The most i cast, the fraying get worst (I do tie leaders)

Suspecting that it is a bad line, I changed a new line. However, same thing happened. Went down to the shop and had the staff checked for me, nothing wrong with the guides.

Read online that it might be because of cheap guides, not made for braided line. Can that be the case? My rod is a budget rod. Anyone with the same rod can share with me your experiences?

I know that line frays after usage. But for mine it's after every session and it frays like mad! It cannot be my reel guide because the fraying is the worst at the part of the line that is not going into my reel.

Sorry for my bad English!!

• monstrad
    have u checked your reel's line guide
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Check the reel.
  • SportAngler
    I am using the Nemesis too. But on 2-6lbs. Using for few months and no problem. Even land big fishes.
    I am using Nano line 6lbs
  • Catch&Release
    edited April 19
    monstrad said:
    have u checked your reel's line guide
    Check the reel.
    ​Thank you for your replies, I've double checked my reel guide just incase. Ran a braided  "pulling" test and had no frays. Used a torchlight too, found nothing.

Is there any other type of test I can do to check for damaged guides?
  • Catch&Release
    I am using the Nemesis too. But on 2-6lbs. Using for few months and no problem. Even land big fishes.
    I am using Nano line 6lbs
    ​thank you!
  • Michael Lim
    Dun use braid to check.  Use a pair of female stockings...  that will instantly catch any issues.  Any tiny nicks will catch and scratch the stockings badly....  Use that to check the line guide of the reel and the rod.

You'll find the issue after that.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016