Feedback/advice on spinning reel drag

hobbeslow
Hi there,

I am new to this forum. Picking up fishing again after 30+ years to introduce my kids to a wholesome hobby. 

I hope someone can help me with a question on one of my new reels, an Okuma Epixor XT20. 

The hook got snagged and I pointed the rod towards the snag, maxed the drag and pulled, but the spool kept releasing line (in fact pretty easily). The max drag force on the reel is 5kg and spooled with 15lb braid (I wanted something lower but the store had no stock).

I took the reel back to the store but they told me this model was designed like that, and they demonstrated with  another unit. However they allowed me to exchange it with another reel as I was not sure if it was a design defect. It was a pity because the reel felt good in all other aspects.

I thought most reels' spools won't turn anymore at max drag setting. Am I wrong and are there some reels (maybe the smaller ones) which are designed to still let out line at max drag settings? 

Hope someone could help my understanding on this. Thanks!

• Freakinfart
    usually for 5kg when you snagged even when max drag.. your line will still come out, but not to the extend of "pretty easily".

my stella 2500 is rated at 9kg even when i snag line will still come out, the 9kg rating is just a guide.. anything beyond 9kg most of the time will piak.

almost all spinning reels even when max drag, the spool will still turn if you exert enough force on it.. but dont do that later the spool bend or the shaft bend lol.

the only reel i cant physically turn is Daiwa Saltiga DogFight.. that one is another level....... 

• hobbeslow
    Hi Freakinfart

Thanks! So it is possible....

Anyway, the line did come out pretty easily, I could turn the spool at max drag setting with my hand without much effort .  Not so easy with the Okuma Octana 20.

Where would be a good place for Shimanos and Daiwas? We bought our beginner tackle at TCE as their stuff were relatively inexpensive. I'm looking for a lighter set up for myself (maybe 10 or 1000 model range) as I don't think I can use a 30 / 3000 range for general reservoir fishing. The said Okuma Octana 20 "belongs" to one of my boys....

Thanks a lot. 
  • SportAngler
    Okuma reel are ok. If snag, hold tight on the spool and walk backwards.
  • Freakinfart
    hobbeslow said:
    Hi Freakinfart

Thanks! So it is possible....

Anyway, the line did come out pretty easily, I could turn the spool at max drag setting with my hand without much effort .  Not so easy with the Okuma Octana 20.

Where would be a good place for Shimanos and Daiwas? We bought our beginner tackle at TCE as their stuff were relatively inexpensive. I'm looking for a lighter set up for myself (maybe 10 or 1000 model range) as I don't think I can use a 30 / 3000 range for general reservoir fishing. The said Okuma Octana 20 "belongs" to one of my boys....

Thanks a lot. 
    ​Whats your budget looking at?

If just for some reservoir and light saltwater fishing:

Shimano you can go for..

Best bang for buck will be Shimano Stradic FK 1000 / 2500.. price about $180-$190
    Super light will be the Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 1000/ 2500.. price about $250 - $260

Daiwa you can go for..

Best bang for buck will be 2018 Daiwa Fuego LT 1000 / 2500.. price about $133+ onwards
    Super light will be the Daiwa Tatula LT 1000 / 2500.. price about $250+ onwards

Daiwa will overall will be lighter if compared with Shimano.. cuz of their LT - Light Tough concept. I will pick Fuego LT if i had to.
  • hobbeslow
    Thanks again! I don't really have a budget, as I mentioned we are starting out, but I do want to fish a bit more. The 2018 Daiwa Fuego LT sounds about right in terms of budget, I may look into that. Any recommended retailers? 

• Freakinfart
    North: Sincere Tackle
    Central: Kaiser, 2000 Tackle, Big Fish @ Helping Hand
    West: Regal Tackle, Fishing Buddy (not sure they carry Fuego though)
    East: Big Dipper Tackle
  • hobbeslow
    The central ones are convenient for me - thanks again. 
  • monstrad

if u look at shimano japan online catalog, u will see 2 drag number

e.g stella 3k, max drag 9kg, ideal drag 6 kg

max drag is basically bullshit, u cant achieve that drag even if u turn the drag knob to hand tight

lets say any shimano 200 size baitcaster, max drag is 4 kg, but when u turn star drag to max, its only abt 2kg

TRIPS
© Copyright 2016