How to bring fishing gears overseas by plane?

Tekkai
Hi Guys,

This will be my first time fishing in Kuching and I will be taking a plane from Singapore. May I know how to bring fishing gears overseas? Like are there any restrictions or declarations to be made and if they must be packed in a certain way?

Thanks alot!
  • rhinosieuway
    Hi Tekkai,
    I'm also going for my first oversea fishing on end april. 
    I did know that all fishing gear ( Rod, Hook, line, jig, etc " except Reel " ) must be CHECKING LUGGAGE. Rod must to put in Hard Rod Case with lock. Hook, line, jig must put in box and luggage for checking as well. Only Reel can handcarry. 

• Tekkai
    Hi Tekkai,
    I did know that all fishing gear ( Rod, Hook, line, jig, etc " except Reel " ) must be CHECKING LUGGAGE. Rod must to put in Hard Rod Case with lock. Hook, line, jig must put in box and luggage for checking as well. Only Reel can handcarry. 

​So the soft cover that comes with the rod when you purchase it is unacceptable?
  • SportAngler
    edited March 19
    Tekkai said:
    Hi Tekkai,

​So the soft cover that comes with the rod when you purchase it is unacceptable?
    ​It is not cannot but you surely don t want your rod to be broken by using soft case.
  • rhinosieuway
    Its the true like SportAngler said.

Soft cover that comes with the rod surely broken by airline staff at another country. Even the airline insurance also cannot cover full amount of your rod. You also can pack your rod inside a carton box and wrap its up. 
  • monstrad

buy a lockable hard rod tube, price range from 50 to 200+ depending on brand, personally I use telescopic plano airliner($110-120)

fishing gear in my soft tackle bag and put inside my check in luggage together with my clothes

there is no need to hand carry reels and some airport/airline don't allow line in reel for handcarry

so if u want to hand carry, play safe to remove spool, check in your spool, hand carry the reel

• frz1
    Hi Tekkai,

​Reel can. But not with the spool with line loaded. I ever missed my flight bcos of this issue. Stupid shit. 
  • Luke Maow Bear
    1. Rod Tube
    2. Check in Spool
    3. Hand Carry Reel
  • SportAngler
    I suggest check in everything.  I have been doing this with a hard case luggage.
  • Luke Maow Bear
    I suggest check in everything.  I have been doing this with a hard case luggage.
    ​this is a better answer. 

Make sure you have a hard case. I use a duffel bag
  • Tekkai
    Thanks for the advises guys! :)
  • Melvin Lee
    Not sure if my 2 cents worth is much of a help here. 

You will need to check in any sharp, bulky or potentially dangerous objects. That is all your terminal tackles such as Rods, hooks, lines and swivels. Instead of buying those bulky and probably use once or twice per year rod tubes, check with the organizer or friends in the group if they have spare space in their rod tube for yours. As for terminal tackles, you can use a hard case luggage together with your clothes for the trip. 

Make sure you wrap your rods and reels with industrial grade bubble wraps before you stuff it into the rod holders and your luggage. We can't control how the tubes and luggage are being handled in the airport or plane but we can do is to protect as much as possible on our beloved tackles.
  • frz1
    Not sure if my 2 cents worth is much of a help here. 

You will need to check in any sharp, bulky or potentially dangerous objects. That is all your terminal tackles such as Rods, hooks, lines and swivels. Instead of buying those bulky and probably use once or twice per year rod tubes, check with the organizer or friends in the group if they have spare space in their rod tube for yours. As for terminal tackles, you can use a hard case luggage together with your clothes for the trip. 

Make sure you wrap your rods and reels with industrial grade bubble wraps before you stuff it into the rod holders and your luggage. We can't control how the tubes and luggage are being handled in the airport or plane but we can do is to protect as much as possible on our beloved tackles.
    ​YES PLEASE PLEASE WRAP IT. Two of my rod tips broke. Only realised it when i reached the hotel. And i was like WTF?!?!8:&/&-&-!;6;&;7:),!/&/
  • SportAngler
    I will use a broomstick longer than my rod and have the rod wrap with it. So it will act as an additional protection for the rods.
  • monstrad
    I will use a broomstick longer than my rod and have the rod wrap with it. So it will act as an additional protection for the rods.

I buy those 1 inch electrical pvc pipe as my butt join rod is longer than any broom stick
  • SportAngler
    monstrad said:

I buy those 1 inch electrical pvc pipe as my butt join rod is longer than any broom stick
    ​I am using those extendable Aluminum type. Work as a Gopro stick too for underwater video.
  • Tekkai
    Any idea where I can buy this rod tube?
  • Melvin Lee
    edited March 23
    You can get it from almost any tackle shop. Its either you get the really cheap ones or the really expensive ones. Cheapest 30 to 50 SGD, most expensive 150 - 300 SGD. Why i say that is cheapest does not comes with insulation (which most of us do not needs it), the most expensive comes with a sponge insulation (you have to cut it to the shape of your rod yourselves). Remember that you be using only once or twice a year, get the one that is able to extend out and collapse when not in use to reduce storage foot prints. 

For me i use my cheapo 30 SGD version (purchase it earlier 2009) for almost 10 trips a year. It does not need to look fanciful as it will likely be thrown around in the airport. So far, I have not suffer any breakage even when i fish at the crappy india airport.
  • Tekkai
    You can get it from almost any tackle shop. Its either you get the really cheap ones or the really expensive ones. Cheapest 30 to 50 SGD, most expensive 150 - 300 SGD. Why i say that is cheapest does not comes with insulation (which most of us do not needs it), the most expensive comes with a sponge insulation (you have to cut it to the shape of your rod yourselves). Remember that you be using only once or twice a year, get the one that is able to extend out and collapse when not in use to reduce storage foot prints. 

For me i use my cheapo 30 SGD version (purchase it earlier 2009) for almost 10 trips a year. It does not need to look fanciful as it will likely be thrown around in the airport. So far, I have not suffer any breakage even when i fish at the crappy india airport.
    ​So does your cheapo 30 SGD version has any kinda cushion inside to reduce the damage withstood by the rods should the rod holder be thrown around?
  • Melvin Lee
    So far my seven seas survived all the throwing and bending. Seems to be worthy for it. For your answer no it does not have anything in it. You need to wrap it yourselves.
  • Tekkai
    So far my seven seas survived all the throwing and bending. Seems to be worthy for it. For your answer no it does not have anything in it. You need to wrap it yourselves.
    ​Alright. Mind sharing what you wrap the rods with? 
  • frz1
    Tekkai said:
    ​Get those industrail bubble wrap. Heavy duty ones. 
  • Melvin Lee
    Tekkai said:
    ​Just go to any logistic company and ask them for industrial grade bubble wrap. or you can get a huge roll from taobao for less than 10USD. Simple to wrap, first place you slim rod upside down you stiffer rod butt than wrap it top and bottom secure the mid section with a Velcro and wrap it there. The end. Thats it. You dont need to wrap the whole rods Make sure you guides faces inwards.  
  • monstrad

u can also wrap around your guides with thick towel

if your rod case don't come with cushion, u can buy those carwash sponge, just cut to required size can fit into top/bottom part of rod case

• Melvin Lee
    monstrad said:

u can also wrap around your guides with thick towel

if your rod case don't come with cushion, u can buy those carwash sponge, just cut to required size can fit into top/bottom part of rod case

​Try not to use towel as the pressure may bend or brake those tiny guides unless you are using salt water heavy duty afco or fuji gold cemet. As for sponge, you will need to cut it properly. Easiest after multiple test, industrial grade bubble wrap. https://www.skp.com.sg/Wrap Film & Air Bubble.html. Get AB 18 for tip and mid of rod and AB 36 for the butt. 
  • Tekkai
    alright thanks alot for the help guys.
  • devil_xiaozhu

I got a thick carton box for rod to give away (slightly longer than 2 meter, 6ft 7inch). who need just msg me at 82824008.

I put around 8 rods inside and they survive the trip. haha.

if no taker I will throw it away soon.

• Tekkai
    What about the length of the rod? Any restrictions? Scared my rod too long lol...
  • Mick B
    Length is the problem with airlines, not diameter or weight.
    Make your own bombproof carrier that will last a lifetime,
    Get a section of 6" diameter waste (sewage) pipe, two screw-on end caps and an old handle of a suitcase or laptop bag.
    You can stand kn this type of pipe and it will never break.

Method;
    Seal one end cap on permanently with PVC glue or similar.
    The other end is your entry/exit, once filled with rods etc seal the cap on for transit with several small self tapping screws through the cap thread followed by multi wraps of Duck Tape (remember to take a screwdriver plus tape with you for the return journey).

Use tee shirts, trunks, shorts and socks to wrap the rods, add hooks and leads to the allowed weight (usually 5-8kgs sometimes more, check with the airline under sports equipment).

If your in a group pack butt and tips in different tubes, add spools but ALWAYS carry-on your reels.

Fished all over the World and never had a breakage or theft.
    (Nobody wants to steal a length of sewage pipe)!!