Any tips for fishing at ORTO?

JWfishing
Going to try ORTO soon. Any tips?
  • JWfishing
    Is ORTO or PRMP better?
  • JWfishing
    Is the catch rate at ORTO or PRMP better?
  • oceanus
    Usually better than PRMP, but it is a catch and release pond. Must debarb the hooks to minimize the injuries to the fishes. Be prepared for really big catches there.
  • chris@sg
    JW, are you going for a kids school thing or ? 

I will be going for my kids father/kid activity end of this month, though i am not sure where exactly in ORTO it will be held it will be conducted at
  • JWfishing
    oceanus said:
    Usually better than PRMP, but it is a catch and release pond. Must debarb the hooks to minimize the injuries to the fishes. Be prepared for really big catches there.
    ​Thanks
  • JWfishing

chris@sg said:
    JW, are you going for a kids school thing or ? 

I will be going for my kids father/kid activity end of this month, though i am not sure where exactly in ORTO it will be held it will be conducted at
    ​Nope, I am just a student. I am tired of landing nothing at PRMP so I wanted to give ORTO a try but I am not sure of the catch rate and the good spots there
  • oceanus
    Bread skin, chicken liver, and Taiwan sausage are the common bait there. I always land something on every trip I went. The friendly staff are helpful should you need some advice and assistance. The fish there are all quite big and there are already many fishing rods that got lost into the pond by the strong pulls from the fishes. You can try luring for sea bass and they allow you to bring them back. Do not use lip grip on the fishes except the sea bass or you will incur more injuries to the fishes. 
  • yokongyo
    Use big hooks, 5/0 and above recommended. If casting liver, remember to use bait thread to tighten it if not cast liao sure fly off. Leader recommended 40lb and above, if not the CPC sandpaper mouth gonna damage it v easily.
  • chris@sg
    !! lost equipment in the pond? 

got to rethink my tackle choices.. will be bringing my 9yo boy for father/son activity ..  dont know if he will let go of my eqpt...
  • oceanus
    You can attach a safety line to secure your rod to the horizontal rod stands. But if you are using upright rod stands, not a problem as long as they are planted firmly into the ground.

• Michael Lim
    oceanus said:
    You can attach a safety line to secure your rod to the horizontal rod stands. But if you are using upright rod stands, not a problem as long as they are planted firmly into the ground.

​I think he means while fighting the fish... hehe
  • oceanus
    edited March 14
    Oh, well. It is better to lose the rod than to let the fish pull the boy down into the water. At least it is safer.
  • chris@sg
    My boy can swim .. the equipment cannot!!
  • sharkbait
    IMHO,

Best bait there is still live baitfish like 3inch Lampan and Koi. Whole 3hrs session can expend about 10pcs or more koi...

The most unexpected bait i used was a live 30cm KBL (seabass) using size 8/0 hook... The take was so strong Even Stella SW4k full drag cannot stop.
  • chris@sg
    edited March 19
    hmm ... think my equipment should suffice? 
    • TwinPower 2000/C3000 (10lb/15lb braid)
    • G. Loomis / NFC 8-15/8-20 rods , 6', 6'6", 7' | Smith BattleAx Tiger BTK65
    • 30/40/50/60lb leaders (sufix, jinkai, YGK)
    • 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0, 7/0 beak hooks..
    while i saw a post regarding no sinker, understand from coho that it's for those big sinker.. small ball sinkers are ok? or should i use floats or let the bait do the job? 

• monstrad

the staff wont bother if u use small sinker, the sinker & >7ft rod ban is because some joker use surf setup and shoot to restaurant

your setup is ok for small fish, bring min 40lb setup for monsters

there r a few freelance guide lurking there, u can hire them with tips

• chris@sg
    No need monsters .. don’t want to scare my Son .. this is introduction for him... plus my 40lb setup (offshore) sold off years ago ..  heaviest setup I have now is TLD15/Silstar ATP for BJT...

think there will be some guiding .. as this was organised by the school as a introduction to fishing for fathers/children ...
  • banex
    Hi there chris@sg.
    some advise on setup, 15 pound mainline, 20 pound leader, size 2-3 hooks. reel you are ok, drag not more than 2.kgs setting. Rod, use a M or MH but aim specifically for Patins only. Will be a fun day for you and ur son. Use a heavy floater to cast floating bread or if you are a good distance caster, try w/o a floater just float the bread. 
    Have been to orto abt 15 trips since my return to SG in Jan. Think i have gotten back my "feel" for SG fishing ponds, sea and other stuff.
    Have fun or PM me if u need more info.
  • chris@sg
    well .. in order to let my son have a feel of fighting and playing the fish, i spent more time baiting his rod with bread and fishing in the beginner pond.. i didn't have chance at the main pond... 

overall, he was happy as he landed 3 patins.. 

• banex
    chris@sg said:
    well .. in order to let my son have a feel of fighting and playing the fish, i spent more time baiting his rod with bread and fishing in the beginner pond.. i didn't have chance at the main pond... 

overall, he was happy as he landed 3 patins.. 

​when are u going again. I can help out some, let him and you try out the main pond a bit.
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016