Can't seem to get bites

hishamherman
Hi I just started luring recently and i need some advice. I've caught 1 fish before however I can't  seem to get a single bite in my previous 5-6 fishing trips. I usually fish around 3pm up till last light.

Im using a medium power and fast action rod, a 2500 size spinning reel with 10lbs braided line. I've tried all kinds of lures such as topwater, vibes, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and soft plastic lures. I need some advise or could anyone tell me where i've gone wrong? Thank you.
  • deedee
    edited March 3
    No wrong or right bro.
    Patience bro have to be ' rajin '
    Fishing is 5% equipment 5% tide 5% 10% spot 80% Luck
  • Michael Lim
    Need to learn how the lures work, where you are targeting, species of fishes you are targeting.
    Try different action, distances, areas.  Sometimes, it just happens and you will blank out.  It's not uncommon.  The fishes might not be there or they might not be interested in those lures just then.
  • FishingKaki.com
    Stay away from Topwater for now.

Where are you fishing -  NOT the spot, but as in a reservoir, canal or something?
  • hishamherman
    deedee said:
    No wrong or right bro.
    Patience bro have to be ' rajin '
    Fishing is 5% equipment 5% tide 5% 10% spot 80% Luck
    ​After a few attemps yet not bites, i feel
    like im doing something wrong or maybe im just that unlucky haha
  • hishamherman
    Need to learn how the lures work, where you are targeting, species of fishes you are targeting.
    Try different action, distances, areas.  Sometimes, it just happens and you will blank out.  It's not uncommon.  The fishes might not be there or they might not be interested in those lures just then.
    I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and trying out different stuff but to no avail
  • hishamherman
    Stay away from Topwater for now.

Where are you fishing -  NOT the spot, but as in a reservoir, canal or something?
    ​Ironically the only one fish I've caught was with a topwater lure haha. I'm still exploring so I've been fishing a little bit in both reservoirs and also canals. 
  • Michael Lim
    It depends on the time of the day and location too.  Sometimes topwater works, sometimes they don't.

I generally bring a range of lures to try.  Topwater, mid-water minnows, mid to bottom vibes, rubber lures, etc...

Keep experimenting and have fun.  You need to also learn how to work those lures at the right speed, cadence and occasionally with twitches, pauses, etc to attract the fishes.
  • hishamherman
    It depends on the time of the day and location too.  Sometimes topwater works, sometimes they don't.

I generally bring a range of lures to try.  Topwater, mid-water minnows, mid to bottom vibes, rubber lures, etc...

Keep experimenting and have fun.  You need to also learn how to work those lures at the right speed, cadence and occasionally with twitches, pauses, etc to attract the fishes.
    ​Yes i usually bring a range of lures too, similar to yours. I've been experimenting various methods and techniques yet not results, guess I'll have too keep on trying haha. I'm heading down to kallang this sunday, hopefully its not gonna be another disappointing trip.
  • JWfishing

​Yes i usually bring a range of lures too, similar to yours. I've been experimenting various methods and techniques yet not results, guess I'll have too keep on trying haha. I'm heading down to kallang this sunday, hopefully its not gonna be another disappointing trip.
    ​I am in the same situation as you. Tried various reservoirs and lures but only managed to hook a pb, but line snapped as it was too heavy. Not even a bite after that. 
    Then again I tried kallang low wall side for past few sundays, early in the morning. Saw a few fish jumping but still no bites no matter what I use.
  • Michael Lim
    Dun get disheartened by days where you get zero bites....  it happens to anyone, including me...  I blank out often as I mainly fish the legal areas where it takes a lot of luck to even get a bite when you are doing the right things.

Keep trying, practising and most of all have fun while trying.  It helps when you learn the action of the lures you are using.  Do some research on Youtube, etc on the lures.  How do they recommend it to be used, etc...

Does a change in tactics help?  Etc... 
  • hishamherman
    Good to know that its normal not to get any bites. I've always thought luring has a higher bite/catch rate and that I've been doing it wrong.
  • Michael Lim
    Luring is just easier for me as I dun have to worry about freshness of baits, having to gather it before a trip and making my hands smelly...
    I just need to grab a box or few boxes of lures and head out with my tackle.  That said, often baits will outfish lures as the scents and natural appeal is easier to entice bites, esp small pickers...

Lurers would need to try to match the hatch or provoke the fishes into a bite...  Another area to look at, various colours for different situations...  UV/glow for dark, murky waters.  Natural imitation colours for very clear waters, etc...

Also size can also play a part, sometimes the lures are too big or too small...

More food for thought.
  • hishamherman
    Thanks for all the advise guys. An update of a spawning pair of pb's caught at kranji reservoir:

• Michael Lim
    Nice...  keep it up.
  • banex
    Juz my 2 cents worth guys.
    Lures will outcatch baits any day. I did a lot of experimenting when i was overseas and still can comfortably claim this.
    Pay pond is a good place to start to learn and hone your skills abt lures, the right retrieves, setups, tactics and search methods. 
    For mid-high, mid and bottom waters, can go Pasir Ris Main pond to try. (I started there on my first lure 20 years ago)
    Topwater lures, i would really suggest Orto. Incredible hits.
    Once you get ur feel of different kinds of lures, then venture out. If you are fishing in a place where there are no fishes, we are only playing with water and the sun(and lures if that is any comfort). If there are fish nearby, strong chance they will come for your lures. 
    Practice more, learn more, fish more, we will never become fish whisperers but we will forever be fishing or lure fanatics.
  • banex
    and really nice PBs. lures all the way bro
  • Luke Maow Bear
    Lures cover more ground.
    Bait will almost always be nipped at if it is within close proximity of a fish.
  • banex
    Lures cover more ground.
    Bait will almost always be nipped at if it is within close proximity of a fish.
    ​True, true. But i realised that lures can literally "pull" fish from out of their hiding.
    A very classic example was in china, i was luring between two baiters in a very shallow pond in GZ. both not 3 feet away from me. One was chumming the waters with a lot of "powdered secret formula" (never liked that, really dirties the water). was luring with a metal Vib from lurefans. all witneesed a small KBL chase my lure past one baiter and hit my lure and entangling the other baiter (chummer). Both had the "wad the F***" look on their faces. Land fish, untangle line, apologize nicely then kept my fish, change spot. but that was way back in 2012, where luring was somewhat new. Baiters hate lures, but i personally hate chummers. 
  • banex
    BTW, my lure when taken was literally smack in the middle of their two floats. area in that pond was abt 3 ft a bit more in depth
  • Michael Lim
    Certain days, the fishes will prefer a more active bait (aka lure)
    Certain days, the fishes will prefer to move slowly and take baits instead.

It all depends
  • Luke Maow Bear
    I always wonder which is better mathematically.

I think in a wild environment lures take it due to the amount of area covered.

I do like bait actually. A lot.
  • Freakinfart
    FW just keep casting.

SW you need see tide, moon, water condition, wind.
  • banex
    well, statistically, we all wanna know too. But living things all got temperament. Some days, juz wanna bite lure, some dayz juz wanna steal a prawn, see who lucky.
    Also, our bros also mentioned all other factors in play while luring/baiting. I have an observation whilst in china, do not neglect barometer. my understanding is high pressure, fish are higher, low pressure, fish at bottom. any input anyone?
    Water color decides lure color, this i cannot say with any confidence yet espically when i only return to SG for not too long.
    Love topwater in yishun orto or also bread on float. love disturbing the patins and pacus. I bring my dad there often as we are living in woodlands. Cant concentrate on my own fishing when him and my wifey around. Have to be their fishing PA, all setup all assisting and landing fish work mine. they jus hold rod, wait for fish, fight fish.
  • banex
    might be going to PRMP tmr or wednesday, just recieved my new rods from US. Got 3 rods to try out and test. and all are ML. good for casting distances. 6ft9 6ft10 and 7ft
  • JWfishing
    banex said:
    might be going to PRMP tmr or wednesday, just recieved my new rods from US. Got 3 rods to try out and test. and all are ML. good for casting distances. 6ft9 6ft10 and 7ft
    ​Just tried luring there a few weeks ago, I managed to hook 6 kbl but they all escaped just before landing by jumping
  • JWfishing
    What brand and model are your new rods by the way?
  • banex
    My new toys,
    Tailwalk salty shape dash, ML 692. Tested today with casting and fish. pretty ok, can feel Vibs CNR RNR well. Storm SX vids ok, little feel on the wiggle. Cant feel the Storm rippin shard swimbait wiggle however. with fish, a bit weak. no backbone spring, can control fish but feels somewhat weak.
    Tailwalk, Backhoo Rise KR. ML 702. Tested worst of the batch. can only feel the rapala CNR, RNR wiggle cannot feel. Storm SX Vid was like draggy. Storm swimbait, like crap, totally no feel. Fish fight, bad. No control wadsoever, weak backbone, hard to control fish. Butt of this rod is too short so no leverage on the casts. One handed casts too taxing as the rod is even heavier than the salty shape dash.
    Fenwick Aetos, 692 ML. This is the best of the 3. rapala VIBs feel like they are on megaphones. Storm SX vib wiggle extremely sharp feel. Storm rippin shard wiggle is very obvious. With fish, easy to control, the rod takes the fight out of the fish very fast. no stress on the wrist even. landed a 2.85kg KBL on this and i simply held high, pull close squat and use pliers to grip the fin and land the fish. Downside however is the rod is kinda heavy but still somehow felt lighter than the BAckhoo Rise KR. Initial casting tries felt some shockback to my wrists. then i got kinda lazy and simply spring the lures out. avg casting distance abt 50-65 meters (maybe? did not measure)
    So far, decided to keep the Tailwalk salty shape dash and fenwick aetos. I cannot find a use for the backhoo rise KR, so will be asking my Riverland buddies to get rid for me. Maybe someone more suitable to this rod, maybe its just me who is the problem.
    Paired all these 3 rods with the 18 Daiwa Freams LT. felt pretty good. Cast almost nonstop from 3 to 8. Small short smoke breaks in between. Maybe also bcos i din bring enough cigs, lucky a nearby kaki offered me a few. :D
  • banex
    edited April 10
    I also have 2 other new rods.
    Tailwalk Dageki 672 MH, this rod tested in Yishun Orto, Floating bread and spinning sausage. Felt good, and could feel small fishes playing with the baits. Fish handling was ok as well, but this rod butt somewhat short, have to hold higher and anchor butt end on hip to fight. landed a Patin abt 8 kgs with no problem. This rod was recommended to me from Riverland, proved to be a really good rod to use.
    Another rod is the Fenwick Elite Tech Bass, 702 MH. Have not tested this rod as yet. Prob tmr night or thursday night in yishun orto. My dad is looking forward to this rod. High expectations.
    I bought the fenwicks in for myself via riverland. I really must say, these rods are really underpriced and overlooked. Love this brand and the rods offered.
  • banex
    edited April 10
    Also, add this comment but please do not hold me responsible for this.
    The fenwick aetos, HMG and HMX, u can feel a very light tick tick feel before the fish strikes the lure. I have used the HMG and HMX before in china. This feel was witnessed by a few of my china kakis as well.
    Today, the aetos also gave me this action. I missed 2 cos i strike too early. When i was hit by the KBL, i resisted the kan cheong urge to strike fast and waited. Could feel very inaudible clicks. I played my lures close to a crap load of tilapias in front of me. when fish are running away form my lure, could feel the lure displaced. and shifted about.
    IT IS THAT interesting. if wan can arrange for kakis to try out. after today, maybe riverland gonna try to bring more in. it was pretty taxing on them to bring these in for me.
  • JWfishing
    banex said:
    I also have 2 other new rods.
    Tailwalk Dageki 672 MH, this rod tested in Yishun Orto, Floating bread and spinning sausage. Felt good, and could feel small fishes playing with the baits. Fish handling was ok as well, but this rod butt somewhat short, have to hold higher and anchor butt end on hip to fight. landed a Patin abt 8 kgs with no problem. This rod was recommended to me from Riverland, proved to be a really good rod to use.
    Another rod is the Fenwick Elite Tech Bass, 702 MH. Have not tested this rod as yet. Prob tmr night or thursday night in yishun orto. My dad is looking forward to this rod. High expectations.
    I bought the fenwicks in for myself via riverland. I really must say, these rods are really underpriced and overlooked. Love this brand and the rods offered.

I tried the Dageki at PRMP as well. Managed to land a few fish with it. It’s quite good. I like the casting distance on it though, it can cast way further than my other rods
TRIPS
© Copyright 2016