Need help with bait robbing crabs

Kikulu
Am pretty new to fishing and here.  I fish in the Punggol and Sengkang area using dead prawns as bait. Currently trying a basic bottom fishing rig (the fish finder rig? According to Google lol). I keep having my prawns stolen by crabs (even hooked up about 4 thunder crabs— 3 by luck using Sabiki w/ dead prawns (small hook got stuck in their pincer) and 1 by hooking onto the bottle w/ crabs in it. Google suggested something like arma mesh but is there any DIY solution or like a crab proof rig? Any advice welcomed. Thanks in advance!
  • Luke Maow Bear
    This is very hard to rectify. It happens to all of us.

What is done sometimes is the use of an Apollo rig to keep the bait above the seafloor.

Your line must be tight.
  • botakchong

Good illustration of Apollo jig. http

://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/knotsrigs/apollo/

• Kikulu
    Ohh, I see! Thanks for the advice guys! Will try on my next trip.
  • Michael Lim
    Another trick is to use a small float to keep it about 1 to 2 feet off the bottom...  Connect the float on the leader and allow some distance for the bait to hang...

From the internet :

• Mick B
    Crabs do not normally eat crab so you could consider changing your bait.

Anything that floats such as plastic necklace beads can be attached to your leader just above the hook to float the bait off the bottom.
    Plastic beads are regularly used successfully as an attractor and bait float combo for sea fish.

Dont buy beads, find a necklace someone you know doesn't need!
© Copyright 2016